I mean they have not once said this is going to get you Golden Demon level painting.  They have stated from the beginning this is for table top level painting quickly.  I can certainly get better results with the current paint line but its going to take me longer than 30 minutes to paint even one small piece.  Its ok to not use it and to be skeptical but I feel there will be all sorts of really cool options with this paint line.  

I will be cheering you all on from the sidelines! I know you will all make Sanguinius proud!

Nothing to paint? :(

Same. By Sanguinius and the Omnissiah, I applaud those who vow. Only not vowing anything because I'm not confident enough in my painting and I don't have a ton to paint in the first place. I know "no vow is too small" and all that, but I'd prefer to chill and relax while I paint rather that work toward an Internet-obligated deadline.

The ETL is about clearing your backlog so you have painted models to play with first and foremost. The only thing that matters is what you think; they are finished when you say they are and what you're happy with. What other people do around you isn't there to intimidate - it's there to inspire; to give you ideas and motivation; possibly offer encouragement or banter; and so on. Yes there's a competitive element to the event, but that's a secondary reward to having a painted force and having a deadline helps focus many of us.

... and if you really don't like it, you can always strip it and try again after the event :) no one is perfect and if you don't try because you're worried about messing up, then you end up with models you've had for twenty years and never painted (like me).

Wait, it's 3 months? Huh. They're already primed black, but I've heard one pre-applied color's allowed, yeah? Any chance I could be shown to wherever I make my vows and take initial "before" pictures?

They need to be undercoated at best. My models will start off white, black, and possibly event grey as those are the colours I use: I'm not about to undercoat a bolter white when I paint them black, I'm going to undercoat it black - similarly, I'm not about to undercoat my red Marines black when my scheme is from a white starting point. You can look at the previous threads mentioned in the OP of our build up thread (which is pinned in this very forum).

@Jolemai not really. Im on the road back to enjoying the hobby so dedicating something to paint isnt in the plans right now.

Right now im rebuilding my paint collection and going to start experimenting on my "slamguinius" so i can start painting Sanguinius with confidence

I was taking a look at the chapter organization, especially the Sanguinary Guard and my eye fell upon Brother Daenatos, Exalted Herald of Sanguinius. 

Who is he? He counts outside of the 25 guards. How can I represent him as a model?  Is he supposed to be the Ancient?

I was taking a look at the chapter organization, especially the Sanguinary Guard and my eye fell upon Brother Daenatos, Exalted Herald of Sanguinius. 

Who is he? He counts outside of the 25 guards. How can I represent him as a model?  Is he supposed to be the Ancient?

Following the logic that each Chapter branch/organisation lists it's leader at the beginning, he is more like a Captain.

Check HERE

Edited by Majkhel

I was taking a look at the chapter organization, especially the Sanguinary Guard and my eye fell upon Brother Daenatos, Exalted Herald of Sanguinius.

Who is he? He counts outside of the 25 guards. How can I represent him as a model? Is he supposed to be the Ancient?

Following the logic that each Chapter branch/organisation lists it's leader at the beginning, he is more like a Captain.

Check HERE

So if we were to put him on the table top, would he be a captain? That's how I feel like he should be. It would make sense from a narrative stand point to be able to have two captains in a narrative list.

Oh snap. I'm going to have so much fun with this...D:

I have a Sanguinary Guard kitbashed captain that could perfectly represent a carmine blades commander of the guard.

Well now that the long weekend is over I need to brag a little bit.

I had a match against AdMech last wednesday and my Gravis Captain with 3 remaining wounds got charged by a Techpriest Dominus, a Techpriest Manipulus and a Datasmith. He survived with 2 wounds remaining (one got 'saved' by the nearby relic Ancient) and then proceeded to punch his way out one by one with a little bit of help by a smite against the Techpriest Manipulus. :D

Also fun fact: I learned that my AdMech opponent kinda thought that my Intercessors have a native 5+++ because they are practically always in range of my relic Ancient (and because we were a bit drunk by turn 5+ :P ). I guess it just shows how good it is when I never have them separated in most of my games. 

CSM are at 32 participants. I say we can do better!

For Sanguinius! Let's grab our paints and vow!

@congratulations on you're Capn's performance Panzer :D

A fistful of gyros torn out of a puny Martian's chest is most satisfying.

Edited by Majkhel

I'm thinking of doing this year's ETL but because of work and the fact I'm a really slow painter I'll only be able to pledge around 300pts. Realistically would this even be worth it?

I've seen some of our pledges and they are massive, I have no idea how people can paint so much in that time frame but I'm looking forward to seeing it done!

Every little bit counts. 300 points finished are worth infinitely more than 5K pledged but unfinished.

To bounce off this completion rate matters. Even though last year I only contributed 149 points for a single captain it counted towards our amazingly high completion rate. This year I've quadrupled my points, but feel confident I can finish this with time to spare.

I'm thinking of doing this year's ETL but because of work and the fact I'm a really slow painter I'll only be able to pledge around 300pts. Realistically would this even be worth it?

I've seen some of our pledges and they are massive, I have no idea how people can paint so much in that time frame but I'm looking forward to seeing it done!

100% worth it as long as you can finish my friend!

A single lieutenant completed is more than enough if thats all you can do. You might even surprise yourself and find enough stray bits for a captain, or any other model.

I'm going to pledge a Captain, Lieutenant and Chaplain. Wanted to do characters due to their high points compared to say a tactical squad where I would have to paint so many more models for the points. My pile of shame is massive so I had plenty of options to choose from

There were some very close final results last year. An extra completed Lieutenant here and there can definitely make a difference. Anything you've been wanting to paint up - and feel comfortable doing so before September - is absolutely worth entering, even if it's a single model.

Had a slightly unpleasant experience today. Played a game against Orks. On the whole I was pretty pleased with how the game went; I ended up losing on points, but came within a hair's breadth of tabling my opponent at the end which, considering he was running a list containing three 30 man Boy squads I was pretty pleased with. This was also despite losing first turn. Unit of the day on my side went to the Death Company - my 10-man squad jumped down with Lemartes, deleted a squad of 6 bikers then withstood a charge of 30 ork boys, fighting their way through in 3 turns to wipe them out with half the squad still standing. In the end I couldn't get line of sight on his last model, a painboy, before the game ended with him in the lead, but there were plenty of positives to take away so I didn't mind too much.

The thing that made it unpleasant was my opponent. One of the most smug, self satisfied... people... I've ever come across in the hobby. Not friendly at all, even though it was a friendly game arranged on the fly. He had a habit of laughing at everything that went his way or went wrong for me, but not in a genial way, much more in a snide way. He also tried to imply that he knew the Blood Angels better than I do, despite never having had a Blood Angels army (I've played them without interruption for 9 years through four editions), which was more funny than annoying but still left a bad taste in my mouth. All in all, although the game was useful in developing my army as a close match against a tough opponent, I wish I hadn't played it, or at least found a more pleasant opponent. What was even worse was that when I got to my FLGS to play the match it turned out that a good friend of mine with an excellent army happened to be there anyway and could have played me, but I'd already arranged the game with the other guy. It's a shame because usually I love playing 40k win or lose, and I found it hard to have fun today even when things were going my way.