Eh, wrong. The Codex still matters and is in use just as before. It's just that now the author is back and updates it regularly. One of those updates is how the Vanguard Primaris fit into the chapter structure. Everything else is just your own headcanon.

Eh, wrong. The Codex still matters and is in use just as before. It's just that now the author is back and updates it regularly. One of those updates is how the Vanguard Primaris fit into the chapter structure. Everything else is just your own headcanon.

Ergo it doesn't matter. 

Its like John Dies at the end with the axe. If enough "edits" are done is it still the same codex? 11th company. But only Ultra Marines can have an 11th company because Guilliman reasons. :rolleyes: :no: 

My view is the Codex is irrelevant now. What I gathered from Dark Imperium was he integrated grey shields so he wouldn't look like he was totally wrong, but even he admits he was wrong and the edits prove it. Once the Lion comes back and has his say, or the Khan for that matter then we really wont have to worry about the codex astartes. But until them just be like me and in your universe it isn't important at all. :ph34r.:

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Ergo it doesn't matter.

Its like John Dies at the end with the axe. If enough "edits" are done is it still the same codex? 11th company. But only Ultra Marines can have an 11th company because Guilliman reasons. :rolleyes::no:

My view is the Codex is irrelevant now. What I gathered from Dark Imperium was he integrated grey shields so he wouldn't look like he was totally wrong, but even he admits he was wrong and the edits prove it. Once the Lion comes back and has his say, or the Khan for that matter then we really wont have to worry about the codex astartes. But until them just be like me and in your universe it isn't important at all. :ph34r.:

Well, let's be honest...from the start the codex only really mattered to some chapters and was only zealously followed by maybe one?

Wolves said sure, then proceeded to do whatever they want. BA said ok, but then bent rules and changed things as they needed to. DA basically did the same as wolves, just hid it better. The Fists followed orders, but the Black Templars founded from them are completely off the reservation. Scars basically did as the BA and changed things to suit their style...it's just their changes didn't need to be as extreme. Sally's have always been too small to super deviate, but new fluff says they tore a bunch of crawls new tech apart and figured out how to mass produce it themselves. Raven Guard are fairly compliant for much the same reason as the Sally's. Ultramarines God made the codex so they are or were devout to it.

I'm pretty sure the most recent fluff has BA doing a mass induction of scouts out of the survivors of the destruction of Baal and Bobby G was right there to see it happen. I think Bobby has tossed the codex out the window in his desperation to stem the tide. Traitors are at the gate, keeping more chapters from going rouge in the future at this juncture might not be of the highest importance.

Edited by Bonzi

I just imagined how the updates of the Codex Astartes Guilliman makes swim around the galaxy. Now that it's split apart and sizeable chunk of it has time fluctuation issues... Oh and remember that Astropathic messages always have been based on dreams and interpretations of images.
An IT-guy nightmare :woot:

Ergo it doesn't matter.

Its like John Dies at the end with the axe. If enough "edits" are done is it still the same codex? 11th company. But only Ultra Marines can have an 11th company because Guilliman reasons. :rolleyes::no:

My view is the Codex is irrelevant now. What I gathered from Dark Imperium was he integrated grey shields so he wouldn't look like he was totally wrong, but even he admits he was wrong and the edits prove it. Once the Lion comes back and has his say, or the Khan for that matter then we really wont have to worry about the codex astartes. But until them just be like me and in your universe it isn't important at all. :ph34r.:

Well, let's be honest...from the start the codex only really mattered to some chapters and was only zealously followed by maybe one?

Wolves said sure, then proceeded to do whatever they want. BA said ok, but then bent rules and changed things as they needed to. DA basically did the same as wolves, just hid it better. The Fists followed orders, but the Black Templars founded from them are completely off the reservation. Scars basically did as the BA and changed things to suit their style...it's just their changes didn't need to be as extreme. Sally's have always been too small to super deviate, but new fluff says they tore a bunch of crawls new tech apart and figured out how to mass produce it themselves. Raven Guard are fairly compliant for much the same reason as the Sally's. Ultramarines God made the codex so they are or were devout to it.

I'm pretty sure the most recent fluff has BA doing a mass induction of scouts out of the survivors of the destruction of Baal and Bobby G was right there to see it happen. I think Bobby has tossed the codex out the window in his desperation to stem the tide. Traitors are at the gate, keeping more chapters from going rouge in the future at this juncture might not be of the highest importance.

This.

The Emperor's Spears book talks about how desperate they are for soldiers. I doubt they care about only having 10 companies in the grand scheme of things. They need every warrior they can get.

The Lions of Elysium are all but wiped out, so they probably adhere in piecemeal. ADB doesn't go too much in depth about it other than a spear making fun of the mentor legionnaire quoting the codex.

The 1000 marines was always a guideline, with frequent notation in codex's that in times of significant conflict chapters would end up much higher than the 'standard' number of marines - (even forgetting the 1000-marine myth). So if a chapter needing to rebuild massively in the middle of a galaxy-wide emergency like the great rift occurence doesnt count as an abnormal situation i dont know what else might have.

I honestly don't care if you like the idea or not. GW told us how things are organized according to the Codex Astartes and didn't tell us that Blood Angels stopped following the Codex Astartes. Everything else is just headcanon. How other chapters do or don't do things is compeltely irrelevant for that matter.

What I'm writing here is completely objective and without personal opinion. I'm not saying I like how it is or that it's good as it is or even if it's likely to be that way. It just is, period. I'm just informing you guys here.

I'm not sure why it even needs to be an argument.

Edited by sfPanzer

The 1000 marines was always a guideline, with frequent notation in codex's that in times of significant conflict chapters would end up much higher than the 'standard' number of marines - (even forgetting the 1000-marine myth). So if a chapter needing to rebuild massively in the middle of a galaxy-wide emergency like the great rift occurence doesnt count as an abnormal situation i dont know what else might have.

Well it's always weird. Because when we get new models they have to rewrite it into "oh hey! Lost tech resurfaced! Yay! But not all codex compliant chapters get it! Only space marines!" And then we have to assume there's a place for them, plus the tanks etc.

I've always thought the codex astartes was just bad writings by the lore authors.

I think the HH stuff has really spoiled me over the years. Looking at how little sense the coded actually makes now that it's original integration is almost 40 years old now, I'm glad to see progress of an irrelevant thing. It just goes right alongside the snails pace of everything else in 40k.

Who else is super excited and already planning ways to incorporate the new Contrast paint into their Blood Angel paint jobs??? I know a lot of people have talked about how it looks splotchy on flat surfaces, much like washes, and I agree; that is why I'll be using it to paint weapons and accessories (pouches, tabards, etc.).

I myself have been thinking of using it to complete boltguns on my marines faster by laying down some of the Contrast Black Templar over a bright metallic like Runefang Steel (I think that's the name/shade I'm thinking of) since I paint my basic weapons with Abbadon Black and Leadbelcher. I may have to do a few test runs and it may end up being a flop, but I am excited! Worst case scenario I think it will work wonders on my scouts and (maybe) camo-cloaked Shadowspear models.

What have my fellow Angels been thinking about in terms of incorporating Contrast into their painting?

EDIT: Forgot how to type in all my excitement.

Edited by Slothysaur

I am interested in them. The only issue is that I have a large existing force that I think would be hard to match with a new, different system. However I have a handful of Skitarri for a Rusty17 detachment I was planning. These don't need to match anything else and I think they would make a great test bed since they have a limited range of colours. Red and Black as well as the trusty Leadbelcher+Nuln Oil for the cybernetics should be all that is needed.

I have pretty much no use for the contrast paints with my paint scheme. The vast majority of my models already is just leadbelcher spray primer followed by nuln oil. :D

I gonna try out the black for my daemons though. If I can make it work without it looking too much like grey it'll be a super easy improvement over what I've had originally planned for them.

My painting style is based on multiple shades on an solid Mephiston Red layer. So Duncan's "two thin coats" work for me. I'm willing to give those new inventions a shot, though I'll probably wait for a painting day at my local store.

Yeah it's going to be weird trying a single thick coat. My BAs will be mostly primaris, where as my Carmine Blades (main army) will be the same as they've always been.

I like to try a new thing each time I paint, so I guess it's easy for me to incorporate Contrast. I don't think I even have a single squad that's painted entirely the same (technique, not color scheme). Either way both Contrast and the ETL start in June and I'm itching to get to it!

I like to try a new thing each time I paint, so I guess it's easy for me to incorporate Contrast. I don't think I even have a single squad that's painted entirely the same (technique, not color scheme). Either way both Contrast and the ETL start in June and I'm itching to get to it!

Well I paint my librarians differently. One is painted macragge one will be kantor, one is mephiston red and one (libby dread) is both mephistonnred and kantor.

This paint is supposed to be a basically wash with increased pigmentation. My guess is, it would work best applied after primer. But we will see :smile.:

Well yeah, you need primer for everything so the paint actually sticks to the model lol

This paint is supposed to be a basically wash with increased pigmentation. My guess is, it would work best applied after primer. But we will see :smile.:

From what I got you have to use it over the new special primers they designed, which currently are grey and something tan-like. There might be more, but I doubt there will be a black one, and thats where my problem lies with this line of paints. Without a black primer everything will be much brighter than everything I already have. 

ps. One of the contrast paints is called Blood Angels Red.

From what I got you have to use it over the new special primers they designed, which currently are grey and something tan-like. There might be more, but I doubt there will be a black one, and thats where my problem lies with this line of paints. Without a black primer everything will be much brighter than everything I already have. 

ps. One of the contrast paints is called Blood Angels Red.

You can use them over other primer as well. We've already got told by non-GW people that they work well over the Leadbelcher primer too.

It all depends on what kind of colour you want to have shine through because the "highlights" created by the contrast paint is really just the colour below with a super thin layer over it.