I like shock assault.

Like, a lot.

It might make Sanguinary Guard worth it without a bunch of buffing characters, as that 50% increase on their own is tasty.

DC are straight up nasty now.

5 chainsword attacks, or 4 of anything else each.

Ouch.

And intercessors just went from *ok* in melee to solid.

3 attacks each, 4 for the sarge is pretty decent.

I like shock assault.

Like, a lot.

It might make Sanguinary Guard worth it without a bunch of buffing characters, as that 50% increase on their own is tasty.

DC are straight up nasty now.

5 chainsword attacks, or 4 of anything else each.

Ouch.

And intercessors just went from *ok* in melee to solid.

3 attacks each, 4 for the sarge is pretty decent.

Call me crazy, but I actually wonder if the change might make chainswords less relevant on dedicated CC units like Death Company. If you think about it, yes chainswords will give 5 attacks now with shock assault, but with a power weapon you're now getting the same number of attacks that a chainsword used to give you as well as AP and potentially a strength buff depending on which one you use.

With these weapons now having 4 attacks base on Death Company people might now consider that the power weapon is worth it over the chainsword. Say if you gave power swords to a 5 man squad instead of chainswords it would mean the difference between killing 2 Intercessors and 4, for only 20 extra points. This is opposed to killing 2 intercessors instead of 1 for the same points increase before. Seems like a more worthwhile investment than before.

Is it actually factual that every marine army is getting to use the Shock Assault rule? It’ll be crazy good with Red Thirst I’m Blood Angels, don’t you think? And we’d also have two traits.

Perhaps RT is also being substituted by Shock Assault. Not sure if I like, but maybe it’s the same mathematically.

Is it actually factual that every marine army is getting to use the Shock Assault rule? It’ll be crazy good with Red Thirst I’m Blood Angels, don’t you think? And we’d also have two traits.

Perhaps RT is also being substituted by Shock Assault. Not sure if I like, but maybe it’s the same mathematically.

Shock Assault isn't replacing Chapter Tactics, don't worry. It's just an extra rule that all marines get. Every other chapter will get it alongside their existing Chapter Tactic. The Red Thirst is going nowhere. +1 attack is no way equivalent to +1 to wound anyway. We are definitely getting shock assault though, it's been confirmed and it's going to make us devastating in CC, or at least even more than we already were.

Edited by t-dog1996

Shock Assault isn't replacing Chapter Tactics, don't worry. It's just an extra rule that all marines get. Every other chapter will get it alongside their existing Chapter Tactic. The Red Thirst is going nowhere. +1 attack is no way equivalent to +1 to wound anyway. We are definitely getting shock assault though, it's been confirmed and it's going to make us devastating in CC, or at least even more than we already were.

Hot damn. Yeah, that’s a huge buff. Terminators, Sang Guard, DC, even Scouts and bikes. Perhaps RAS could make a reappearance as small hit squads clearing out gun emplacements, etc..

Hot damn. Yeah, that’s a huge buff. Terminators, Sang Guard, DC, even Scouts and bikes. Perhaps RAS could make a reappearance as small hit squads clearing out gun emplacements, etc..

What's a RAS?

What's a RAS?

A Regular Assault Squad, mostly a BA distinction since our Codex allowed the formation of Veteran Assault squads (VAS) since the 3rd edition codex at least. Could’ve been 2nd, actually, wouldn’t know. Marines didn’t get them until 5th ed codex I think!

So, ASM in regular speech. :)

A Regular Assault Squad, mostly a BA distinction since our Codex allowed the formation of Veteran Assault squads (VAS) since the 3rd edition codex at least. Could’ve been 2nd, actually, wouldn’t know. Marines didn’t get them until 5th ed codex I think!

So, ASM in regular speech. :smile.:

I don't know about that. Assault Marines are pretty ineffective as ranged choice. They can do a job, but other units can just do it far better. As for close range, Vanguard Veterans are just better. But then again perhaps that will change. We've been told that we can use the new datasheets until we get our own codex update so perhaps the new codex will give them some love. Who knows?

Exactly! I’d love to see iconic BA units become a bit better in general. At least they’d be better on the charge than before, that’s something.

I’m excited to be able to field my SG without feeling like I’m wasting points!

I never got that feeling tbh, but I’m also throwing more points at them with my Warlord and the SoS...

Finally, the Sanguinor tax is a bit less mandatory!

Something that just occurred to me... Combat Blade Scouts. 10 man squads are 110 points, putting out 31 attacks at +1 to wound, plus 10 bolt pistol shots. They can deploy 9 inches away from the enemy deployment zone, meaning a turn 1 charge is a genuine threat. Imagine a double battalion setup with 6 such squads against guard with turn 1! Actually I should stop having thoughts like this or I might actually go out and buy 60 Scouts.

I think the important thing about shock assault being a permanent new rule is that the bonus is the first round of combat only. So I don't think we'd see new data sheets with increased characteristics because Marines of all types need an extra attack permanently, even in Blood Angels.

But the new rule does make me want to do ridiculous all Death Company detachments now just to better emulate the frenzied horde of murder blenders they're supposed to be. Jump packs ensuring assaults more would be thinkable.

What is this Shock Assault rule I'm hearing about, what book is it in, and when did it come out?

Basically the Space Marines are getting a new codex. It includes a new rule called ‘Shock Assault’ which gives all Marines +1 attack on the charge. It’s been confirmed that we can use this new rule too, which is a very interesting prospect for our CC units

I'm quite interested. Is this intended to be run as a beta rule until Codex: Space Marines II comes out?

I don’t know actually, might be worth asking on the community page, but the new codex is only about two weeks away at most so it shouldn’t be long before I get can use it either way.

Something that just occurred to me... Combat Blade Scouts. 10 man squads are 110 points, putting out 31 attacks at +1 to wound, plus 10 bolt pistol shots. They can deploy 9 inches away from the enemy deployment zone, meaning a turn 1 charge is a genuine threat. Imagine a double battalion setup with 6 such squads against guard with turn 1! Actually I should stop having thoughts like this or I might actually go out and buy 60 Scouts.

I think Reivers would be great for this too.

I actually think that a real opportunity for Blood Angels codex 2.0 would be more attention on the successor chapters. The current codex gives us next to nothing, and thanks to the relic rules it is next to impossible to build a competitive army out of them. I found the depiction of the Carmine Blades in Devastation of Baal fascinating; from the sound of it they literally skin their Scouts alive to implant their black carapace, with the expectation being that they don’t cry out. Edited by t-dog1996