I'm going to be magnetizing mine when I make changes.

that said, I've got a WYSIWYG RTT in two days, so I'm using that as an excuse to change the one with a relic blade up for a power fist, as well as magnetize him. He was my kit bashed Dante.

Edited by Paladin777

So then fellow children of the Angel.

What do we think of the new releases for Blood Angels?

anything in any of the kits catch your interest?

Whilst I will probably get all the new stuff over time, I have to admit the sheer lack of options in units is more than a little disappointing. They really do feel like they left no room for conversions really, which is a crying shame.

Jump Intercessers ending up as a straight downgrade from Assault marines is pretty shocking too.

I don't get the need for a dozen gun options for every squad.  Especially when the thing most people are just looking to do is slam the strongest gun onto the squad.

So much nicer to not have to worry about meta shifts when building.  Giving them each a bespoke pistol just slows the game down and piles on more things to either remember it check. I will lament the loss of the eviscerator. 

3 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

I don't get the need for a dozen gun options for every squad.  Especially when the thing most people are just looking to do is slam the strongest gun onto the squad.

So much nicer to not have to worry about meta shifts when building.  Giving them each a bespoke pistol just slows the game down and piles on more things to either remember it check. I will lament the loss of the eviscerator. 

No need for exaggeration here. Noone wanted a dozen gun options, but the marine armoury is well established and the predecessor units just offered so much more.

I'll be grabbing the command squad and probably, eventually, the Sternguard kit for my BA successor, though some of the latter are probably ending up as Bladeguard conversion bits. I'm largely looking at this as a modelling exercise rather than a must-have for the army, which is pretty hodge-podge anyway as I just build and paint what draws my interest until we get that Codex and I try and make something more focused. 

Like, I could buy a bunch of jump-intercessors now, I guess.

Or I could wait to see what Primaris-scale Sang guard are gonna look like. If nothing else, bits from the kit will make the jump intercessors more interesting to kitbash, so I'll wait. 

11 minutes ago, Rhavien said:

No need for exaggeration here. Noone wanted a dozen gun options, but the marine armoury is well established and the predecessor units just offered so much more.

Not exaggerating; the assault squad had way too many options ; 8 ranged options just according to a quick check of the datasheet.  Obviously a couple of those are sgt only, and personally, the way the game is played, a single melta or plasma gun per 5 is basically useless.

I just don't see the point any more with how the game works. Maybe back in 5th a single specialty weapon was something to get excited about. But now a days you need to leverage having more opportunities rather than the single squad diversity. 

I understand wanting that old stuff, but for me, it's meh. I don't care about 2 melta shots in a melee unit. I just don't. They aren't going to be used for that, they're gonna hopefully be a buffable blender unit or at worst a tarpit for someone else to deal real damage. And two melta gun shots per turn aren't gonna make that much of a difference any more. They aren't Bright Lances lol.

Certain squads having the armory open up would be interesting. I just don't think Jump Assault need to be that unit, so losing two specialty weapon shots per turn is NBD IMO.  They should have pistol options, I guess, especially inferno pistols since I love them as a BA player, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Pistols aren't doing that much no matter what kind they are. 

sternguard options feel fine to me, terminators too.

assault squads... i'd have liked it if they could have two models with special melee weapons (making up for the loss of the eviserator)

the company heroes, I think I need to see points, I really like the idea of them, the concept of each of the members being a representative of the three main disciplines of the company is... really flavourful. So whilst all power weapons or all bolters is the obvious thing, it would have diluted that flavour significantly. What would have been good though, would be for the intercessor/tactical guy to have had a power weapon alongside the bolter (like an intercessor or tactical sergeant can), and for the ancient to have both the bolt rifle and power sword options (as an either or). The Heavy veteran should probably have been able to take the new heavy pyreblaster at least.

2 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Not exaggerating; the assault squad had way too many options ; 8 ranged options just according to a quick check of the datasheet.  Obviously a couple of those are sgt only, and personally, the way the game is played, a single melta or plasma gun per 5 is basically useless.

I just don't see the point any more with how the game works. Maybe back in 5th a single specialty weapon was something to get excited about. But now a days you need to leverage having more opportunities rather than the single squad diversity. 

I understand wanting that old stuff, but for me, it's meh. I don't care about 2 melta shots in a melee unit. I just don't. They aren't going to be used for that, they're gonna hopefully be a buffable blender unit or at worst a tarpit for someone else to deal real damage. And two melta gun shots per turn aren't gonna make that much of a difference any more. They aren't Bright Lances lol.

Certain squads having the armory open up would be interesting. I just don't think Jump Assault need to be that unit, so losing two specialty weapon shots per turn is NBD IMO.  They should have pistol options, I guess, especially inferno pistols since I love them as a BA player, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Pistols aren't doing that much no matter what kind they are. 

Hmm, I have several points in reply. 

First of all, it feels like Marines are transforming back into an army that's just been reintroduced to the game like harlequins, ad-mech or votann lately. We are transforming from an army with a plethora of options into something with fixed loadouts and mono builds. Thinking about it, most other new kits come with dual build options and weapon swaps. 

Also you are to focused on 10th in my opinion. Editions come and go faster than ever, but those kits are here to stay for a good while. Who knows if two melta shots will be valuable again in 12th. Actually I'm pretty sure they will, as we are always going in circles to keep things fresh. 

Even now they could matter. Beside the fact that inferno pistols have been nerfed to D3 dmg, three shots could potentially be lethal. Especially with the bonus damage in short range on a highly mobile unit. 

Then there is the lack of special melee weapons. Poor eviscerator. Now you are something that we used to know. 

Lastly, and that's the most important thing to me is the fact that I don't see myself dropping money buying and invest time building and painting them when I just can use my old assault marines with proper loadout. And I want to buy new stuff! I want to like them and I was really looking forward to new jump troops. But for me they are just a big meh. 

Same here, I even think most of the poses work pretty well.

as to the options, the issue with marines, is they’ve had a bunch when most other armies didn’t or have had theirs stripped away already.

I like options, but it’s a absolutely true that every edition there is a “meta” option and the vast majority of people end up using it. Like death company, they will 100% go in their current form, anyone expecting us to keep a unit where they can all have fists/hammers and inferno pistols will be disappointed in the long run.

it just sucks that it also stifles the modelling creativity

On 9/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, Blindhamster said:

Whilst I will probably get all the new stuff over time, I have to admit the sheer lack of options in units is more than a little disappointing. They really do feel like they left no room for conversions really, which is a crying shame.

Jump Intercessers ending up as a straight downgrade from Assault marines is pretty shocking too.

I may pick up the jump dudes at some point to build towards my old school primaris company.

I don't really have a ton of hype for us. When our supplement comes out in a year or so I'll revisit my excitement.

Completed my Leviathan BA today (dread decals still wet), along with a bodyguard squad for the Biologis, a Company Champion and Dante. 

Also got my first combat patrol game in versus the nid half. Not a great game experience, the Flamer guys failed to stop the leapers with a normal shooting and overwatch, so got tagged by the survivor and couldn't move away and got caught by the big beastie and wingy thingy and pulled down on the bottom of turn 2, leaving a rather non interactive Barbgaunt slowed terminator brick to slowly meander around killing whatever they felt like with re-rollable 2s to hit shooting as the nids lack of AP caused them to bounce off ineffectively. It looked like it might be close around turn 3, but the terminators just deleted everything they looked at and as the could leave their mid field objective locked in to smash things I ended up outscoring the surviving termagaunts.

SEPChar.thumb.jpg.597b696fa7b6d497b697c62cd10204a0.jpg

SEPHI.thumb.jpg.6102205160cbc1bdfb002a264821bb84.jpg

SEPDread.thumb.jpg.2128b55b015609ec345a1c8bb9dfeb99.jpg

Played my first RTT today!!!!

Went 1-2, but had an absolute BLAST!

here's the list. Most things functioned pretty well as expected, but the standout units were my dreadnaughts, which 2/3 survived in all three games, and my Heavy Intercessors. 

the sanguinary guard were a dud unit. I dropped 2 squads of regular intercessors for them, and I regret it. 

The VanVets (with Sanguinary Priest) and eradicators were also quite solid. I'd definitely run them again!

Spoiler

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [1,995pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Strike Force (2000 Point limit)

Detachment: Gladius Task Force

+ Character [410pts] +

Captain in Gravis Armour [105pts]: Bolter Discipline [25pts]
. Boltstorm Gauntlet, Powerfist, and Relic weapon Blade: Boltstorm Gauntlet, Power Fist, Relic Blade

Captain with Jump Pack [115pts]: Bolt Pistol, Inferno Pistol, Power Fist, The Honour Vehement [15pts], Warlord

Librarian in Terminator Armour [100pts]: Artificer Armour [10pts], Force Weapon, Smite

Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack [90pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol

+ Battleline [290pts] +

Assault Intercessor Squad [80pts]
. Assault Intercessor Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. 4x Assault Intercessors: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

Heavy intercessor Squad [210pts]
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant
. . Heavy Bolt Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. 7x Heavy Intercessors: 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Close Combat Weapon, 7x Heavy Bolt Rifle

+ Infantry [765pts] +

Eliminator Squad [75pts]
. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Bolt Sniper Rifle, 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolt Sniper Rifle, Close Combat Weapon

Eradicator Squad [95pts]
. Eradicator: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Rifle
. Eradicator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Rifle
. Eradicator with Multi-melta: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Multi-melta

Inceptor Squad [115pts]: Assault Bolters
. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Inceptor Sergeant: Close Combat Weapon

Relic Terminator Squad [200pts]: Grenade Harness
. Relic Terminator Sergeant: Chainfist, Plasma Blaster
. Relic Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper Autocannon
. 3x Relic Terminator w/ Power Fist: 3x Combi-bolter, 3x Power Fist

Sanguinary Guard [175pts]
. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus Boltgun, Encarmine Blade
. Sanguinary Guard: Encarmine Blade, Inferno Pistol
. Sanguinary Guard with Power Fist: Inferno Pistol, Power Fist

Vanguard Veteran Squad with Jump Packs [105pts]
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant with Jump Pack: Heirloom Weapon, Inferno Pistol
. Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs: Heirloom Weapon, Inferno Pistol
. Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs: Heirloom Weapon, Storm Shield

+ Mounted [110pts] +

Attack Bike Squad [55pts]
. Attack Bike [55pts]: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Multi-melta, Twin Boltgun

Attack Bike Squad [55pts]
. Attack Bike [55pts]: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Multi-melta, Twin Boltgun

+ Vehicle [420pts] +

Dreadnought [135pts]: Twin Lascannon
. Dreadnought Combat Weapon w/ Storm Bolter: Dreadnought Combat Weapon, Storm Bolter

Dreadnought [135pts]: Twin Lascannon
. Dreadnought Combat Weapon w/ Storm Bolter: Dreadnought Combat Weapon, Storm Bolter

Ironclad Dreadnought [150pts]: Heavy Flamer, Hurricane Bolter, Seismic Hammer

++ Total: [1,995pts] ++

Here's a rough outline of how the matches shaped up. 

Spoiler

first game was against Votann. I lost, but it was a closer game than I expected. I was surprised that I managed to take down 2 sagitaurs, 2 hekatons, and almost kill a third hekaton by the end of turn 3 with my limited anti-large arsenal. Melta certainly isn't dead as that's what killed the hekatons!

Takeaways: avoid Hearthguard unless attacking with a very heavy hitting unit that'll neuter them in one shot. 

MVP was my Ironclad who walked through 2 Sagitaurs and put 10 wounds on a Hekaton! A fantastic sendoff before his rules go to legends. T.T

I was pleasantly surprised at how effective my 3 eradicators did too!

second game was against Necrons. 

honestly, that game was attrition incarnate, but I lost both the game and was losing models faster than him with all his reanimations. 

Takeaway: just need to play them more to figure out exactly what does what. 

third game was against White Scars. 

honestly, the game was a stat check for my opponent who didn't bring enough firepower to blow through all the gravis I flooded the table with. Lots of intercessors, outriders, and Phobos units.

Closing thoughts. Definitely would love to attend the next one if I can swing it by the wife! I learned a fair bit, and also learned about some things that I can do better with my list... just in time for a new codex to drop!

I also hope to actually be able to get practice games in as opposed to going in rather blind!

Edited by Paladin777

On 9/29/2023 at 7:15 AM, Blindhamster said:

Agree across all SM factions everyone will be feeling a bit let down.  GW have produced a generic Primaris jump unit.  This is the Primaris jump infantry every codex gets (sighs).  Theres VV vets for everyone too but....  We still have Sang Guard and the highly usable Death Company, no one else gets those units.  I'm pretty sure there will be something for the BA in time.  I'm getting some and painting them black.  I might magnetise a few arms to future proof them.  I see the current Primaris jump intercessors as a harassing unit that can bully smaller units or snatch objectives even with their low OC.  They can hurt mid tier marine units too,  probably won't run too many yet.