On 5/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, happyslugger said:

The edge highlighting is a nightmare 

One tip that I got from the Voxcast episodes from he eavy metal team was to actually drybrush tanks as opposed to edge highlighting - you can see it's what the team actually oes on box art. It's a lot faster, and you don't get that tron look. I usually go over things with a normal highlight colour, then drybrush on an extreme highlight. 

Project "paint 9th ed starter models before 10th ed is released" continues apace!

large.IMG20230531224759.jpg.ae5aa76d19cf1200bc72c28d69b4ecb2.jpg

Just a head's up folks, but with 10th edition arriving I'll be updating the Resources Page and eventually doing new Unit of the Week threads and Veritas Vitae articles in due course.

The Resources page will need things like new tailored/specific tactica articles, so that's where you guys come in. Mathhammers, tips and tricks, that sort of thing, so get to grips with the 10th ed rules (link included there and the 10th ed discussion) and absorb it, then help the community get something out of the collection brain storm :thumbsup:

On 6/1/2023 at 1:24 PM, Xenith said:

One tip that I got from the Voxcast episodes from he eavy metal team was to actually drybrush tanks as opposed to edge highlighting - you can see it's what the team actually oes on box art. It's a lot faster, and you don't get that tron look. I usually go over things with a normal highlight colour, then drybrush on an extreme highlight. 

Yes, I do that too. The good thing with drybrushing is that it is easy to control as you build up the highlight with repeated passes. Makes it easy to stop when it looks "right". Here is a SW Repulsor I drybrushed and it came out pretty well. 

gallery_82363_15236_472318.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

What do you guys think of using the blade guard models and the blade guard captain model as company veterans and company champion (respectively)? I know they are primaris, but the company veterans can get shields and power swords. I just already have several captains and I personally see my first company captain having a jump pack or terminator armor (depending on situation). 

2 hours ago, Jolemai said:

If it fits your force and you can differentiate them well enough from Bladeguard, then sure? How will you model the other members of the unit?

Normal Primaris ancient and normal apothecary or Sanguinary Priest. 

The Command Squad BG would basically be painted the same as my blade guard would be anyways, they’d just be count as.

After trying a traditional attempt painting a land raider which just didn't look good, I tried airbrushing color on my first tank ever. I'm quite happy with it. Guess I will drybrush the edges too. What do you think? 

IMG_20230616_094843_edit_284394532084205.jpg

-edit-

As always the shades of red don't transition that good into the picture. The highlighting is more subtle then it looks here :confused:

Edited by Rhavien

2 hours ago, Rhavien said:

After trying a traditional attempt painting a land raider which just didn't look good, I tried airbrushing color on my first tank ever. I'm quite happy with it. Guess I will drybrush the edges too. What do you think? 

IMG_20230616_094843_edit_284394532084205.jpg

-edit-

As always the shades of red don't transition that good into the picture. The highlighting is more subtle then it looks here :confused:

By traditional, you mean brush?

It's normal to feel doubt on a model this large and at this stage. Just push ahead with the highlights and any recess shading or whatever on the main colour and once that's done, it will all start to come together :thumbsup:

On 6/16/2023 at 11:55 AM, Jolemai said:

By traditional, you mean brush?

It's normal to feel doubt on a model this large and at this stage. Just push ahead with the highlights and any recess shading or whatever on the main colour and once that's done, it will all start to come together :thumbsup:

Yes, by brush. First some zenithal highlighting and drybrush ING with white. Slapchop on a tank basically. Then I used very thinned red paint to avoid streaking on the massive clean surfaces. It turned out way to bright, pooled into the recesses and didn't cover even after the third layer. Well, now I just primed it dark red and did some panel highlighting after a quick glimpse into some YouTube tutorials :biggrin: it looks way better.