12 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

My only hope is that the new jumpy dudes allows us to put Dante with them. He just looks out of place with the current Sanguinary Guard.

Which is sad because one of the (many) reasons for requesting the new Dante was that the old one looked titchy next to the Sanguinary Guard.

I would imagine that we will be able to run him with the new Jump Primaris squad.

Played my first game of 10th yesterday which was 1000 points Blood Angels mirror match using the "Only War" mission from the main rulebook. The BA mirror match was a derp on my part as I have 4 armies but forgot to ask what my opponent was running. Still, it did allow us to see how various units matched up.

My list (Gladius Strike Force)

Lemartes

5 DC with Jump Packs, 3 Power Weapons, 2 Power Fists (Lemmy Attached)

5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles

5 Intercessors

3 Bolter Inceptors

5 Infiltrators

5 Devastators, 3 Lascannnons, 1 Plasma Cannon

Vindicator

His list (Sons of Sanguinius)

Mephiston

5 Sternguard (Mephy attached)

Chaplain on foot with Artificer of War

5 DC on foot (Chaplain attached)

5 Intercessors

3 Bolter Inceptors

3 Boltstorm Aggressors

Redemptor Dreadnought

I put 1 Objective in a Deployment zone with the intention of camping with my Scouts and one in the midfield in some ruins. My opponent put both of his Objectives in the midfield. He didn't really have any static units so was obviously planning an aggressive play. I rolled Attacker in the roll-off so took the DZ with Objective and put my Scouts on it. I put the Devastators on a rocky outcrop with good fields of fire. The Death Company and Vindicator were in the shadow of the large ruins while the Intercessors were screening my Devastators. Lastly I put my Infiltrators on the Objective in the Ruins in no-mans-land and reserved my Inceptors.

My opponent deployed in 2 loose groups, each facing one of the midfield Objectives. On his left flank he had the DC and Aggressors while in the centre he had Mephy, the Sternguard, Dreadnought and Intercessors. He also reserved his Inceptors.

Turn 1

I won the roll-off for 1st turn so I declared the Redemptor as my OOM target. The Vindicator moved out of the shadow of the ruins to draw LOS to the Redemptor. My Intercessors moved into the midfield to claim one of the objectives in the open and claimed Objective Secured. My Devastators and Vindicator opened up on the Redemptor, my opponent responded with Armour of Contempt. Once the smoke cleared I had done a might 2 wounds to the Dreadnought which was promptly reduced to 1 wound by Duty Eternal. That was not a good start! Elsewhere my Scouts managed to plink a wound off Mephiston and the Infiltrators killed a Sternguard but that was about it. Not quite the opening I was hoping for.

My opponent responded by moving up into the midfeld as anticipated but not quite as far or fast as I would have done. Instead he carefully made use of cover. He also nominated my Vindicator as his OOM target. In his shooting phase he targeted my Infiltrators with his small-arms and my Vindicator with his heavier stuff. I responded with Smoke on the Infiltrators and Armour of Contempt on the Vindicator (although I quickly realised I should have played those two the other way round). Fortunately his shooting was not much more effective than mine had been. The Redemptor chipped a few wounds off the Vindicator while the Sternguard were unlucky thanks to the combo of smoke and Helix Gauntlet and only managed to put a single wound on the Infiltrators. He tried to charge the Vindicator with the Dreadnought but was out of range.

Turn 2

Once again I OOMed his Redemptor. I moved my Death Company around my left flank to line up a charge. My Intercessors moved off their Objective and advanced to line up some shots on his Death Company. This time my shooting was better. The Devastators succeeded in destroying the Redemptor with a volley of Lascannon hits while the Vindicator killed 2 of the Aggressors. The Scouts sniped another Wound off Mephiston but my Intercessors' shooting was ineffective against the DC on foot. In my charge phase, my Death Company charged the Intercessors and wiped them out.

My opponent once again OOMed my Vindicator. His Aggressor failed his Battleshock test so he opted to use the Insane Bravery Stratagem to retain control of his Objective. Mephiston and the Sternguard moved up to face my Death Company. His Death Company advanced and he managed to drop his Inceptors into the gap between my Devastators and Intercessors using his "Meteoric Descent" rule. This was handy for him as in nullified my Objective Secured. In his shooting phase, pretty much everything opened up on the Vindicator and even through the smoke, managed to reduce it to just 3 Wounds, leaving it bracketed (Mephiston did a large chunk of the damage thanks to rolling very well with Fury of the Ancients). Mephiston and the Sternguard charged my Death Campany and Mephiston promptly wiped them out, leaving just Lemartes unscathed.

Score 3:1 to me

Turn 3

This turn I OOMed the pesky Inceptors and declared the Tactical Doctrine. My Intercessors retreated from the approaching Death Company, not wishing to get charged. Lemartes fell back from the Sternguard but was free to act normally thanks to the Doctrine being in effect. I dropped my Inceptors behind the lone Aggressor, intending to repeat my opponent's trick and use Meteoric descent to try and snag that Objective. My shooting phase was dismal once again and I only put a single wound on the Inceptors between cover and Armour of Contempt. My Inceptors did better and targeted the Sternguard, wiping them out. Lemartes charged the surviving Aggressor and killed him. Lastly I decided to take a chance and charge the Inceptors with my Devastators since the Sergeant had a Power Fist. It worked fairly well and I managed to kill one.

In my opponent's turn he OOMed by Infiltrators and moved towards them with Mephiston. The Death Company on foot were out of range for a charge so he Advanced them a hefty 12". The Inceptors fired their bolters in the shooting phase since they have the Pistol rule and killed half of the Devastators (maybe charging hadn't been such a good idea). Mephiston attacked the Vindicator and managed to destroy it between Fury of the Ancients and an overcharging plasma pistol. Although he lost 3 Wounds to a failed Hazardous roll, he saved 2 of them with his 5++. Mephiston then charged the Infiltrators but only killed 2 thanks to Armour of Contempt and some truly heroic rolling from my Helix Gauntlet so I retained control of that Objective.

Score 5:1 to me

Turn 4

With just the DC, Inceptors  and Mephiston left, my opponent was rapidly running out of men. I OOmed the Death Company and used Adaptive Strategy to put my Devastators into the Tactical Doctrine so they could fall back from combat with the Inceptors and still shoot. The Devastators finished off the Inceptors while my Inceptors rolled hot on their Sustained Fire and managed to wipe out the Death Company. The Scouts then picked off the Chaplain. Mephiston killed two more Infiltrators meaning I lost control of that Objective but still Mephiston tied in melee. Or so I thought

In my opponent's turn, Mephiston killed the last Infiltrator with his pistol which left him free to charge the Intercessor squad which he promptly slaughtered. 

Score 8:2 to me

Turn 5

This was over swiftly as my remaining army turned their guns on Mephiston, taking him down to 2 wounds. Lemartes then charged in delivered the coup de grace.

Final score 11:2 to me

That was a great game to play and even though it was a mirror match, it highlighted several different units. Overall neither GSF nor Sons of Sanguinius felt particularly powerful. I found the ability to Fall Back and act normally granted by the Tactical Doctrine to be very handy but since I only used it twice, it was probably not game-changing. Red Thirst worked well for my opponent but seemed to be a "win more". I suspect he would still have won the combats where he charged without it.

The Vindicator has got a really nice glow-up and will probably become a staple in my list. Hopefully running it with a couple of other armoured units in future will boost its longevity.

The Scouts were not glamourous but for 75 points they held an Objective all game and plinked away with some decent damage. In hindsight, using them to try and snipe Mephiston was probably a waste as he is T5 with a 2+/5++/5+++ which really took the sting out of their shooting. They would have been much more effective targetting the Sternguard or DC directly. Morale of the story, just because you have Precision does not mean you have to use it.

The Intercessors were OK but nothing special. Objective Secured looks good on paper but any opponent with a cheap Deep Strike unit can drop in and snag unmanned Objectives. Which brings me to....

Inceptors. Oh boy are these guys great. Both mine and my opponents Bolter Inceptors performed really well. For their points they are flexible, tough and shooty. Meteoric Descent allows them to squeeze in where other Deep Strikers could not. I will not be leaving Baal without them in future,

Death Company are OK. Still a glass hammer unit. They excel at taking out elite infantry but I feel they would struggle against T9 or tougher although OOM could help there. Lemartes granting Lethal Hits is really nice and could help there. If you can magnetise them then Power Fist + Inferno Pistol is definitely the optimum loadout.

Lastly, Mephiston was definitely MVP and he is an absolute beast! He took out Infiltrators, Death Company, Intercessors and the Vindicator, all while under continuous sniper fire. Sternguard make a good bodyguard for him as they provide some volume shooting while he protects them in melee. With 6 Wounds and a 5+++, he can afford to be bold with overcharging both Fury of the Ancients and his plasma pistol. I am looking forward to trying him myself.

People watched the new Angels of Death?

I thought it was pretty great, something I'm loving about these is that they can explore the effects of the blood angels curses and make pretty good stories with them. Animation felt like a step up from the main series

I vowed a squad of Sternguard so here are the first tow members who have freshly been promoted to the First Company. I normally do a couple of squad members first to prototype the colour scheme I am using. I still need to apply the skull emblem to their left shoulder pads but overall I am quite pleased with how they have turned out.

large.20230728_171201.jpg.5a09ea8b220747

So…

i have 

dante

mephiston

8 captains (3 gravis, 1 bladeguard, 1 terminator, 1 phobos, 1 regular and 1 magnetised)

14 lieutenants (so many…)

1 techmarine

2 apothecaries (1 gravis)

4 librarians (1 phobos, 1 terminator)

1 champion

1 judiciar 

3 ancients (1 bladeguard)

3 chaplains (1 biker)

1 x 6 bladeguard 

1 x 3 bladeguard

1 x 5 sternguard 

2 x 10 veteran intercessors

1 x 5 terminators

1 x 5 death company intercessors

5 x 10 of intercessors 

2 x 10 infiltrators

1 x 10 heavy intercessors

2 x 10 hellblasters

1 x 10 desolation marines

1 x 10 infernus marines

1 x 3 aggressors

1 x 6 aggressors

2 x 3 eliminators

1 x 6 eradicators

1 x 3 suppressors

2 redemptors

1 balistus 

1 invictus

1 tarantula 

1 servo turret

1 x 10 assault intercessors

1 x 10 incursors

1 x 10 reivers

1 x 5 reivers

3 x 3 inceptors

1 x 3 outriders

1 atv

1 brutalis

1 stormspeeder

2 impulsors

2 repulsors

1 repulsor executioner

1 astraeus

1 gladiator

1 hammer fall bunker

i was thinking about the company markings etc and it occurred to me, I have far more than one company… I’ve got a few models painted with yellow blood drops of the 2nd company. 

do people think it would be cool to maybe allocate things to various other companies? If so, any suggestions on how to split it? Iirc Phobos units aren’t necessarily from 10th? I’m guess all the veterans should get 1st company markings, not company one?

I’ve been pretty productive since April, with everything above based, baeecoated in the correct red and if they have coloured helms those are blocked in, as are any bare heads/hair. Plus in some cases things are further along in terms of painting. So the question above is more to help me get organised and maybe shuffle around how I have things displayed (currently I have a shelf for yellow helms, shelf for blue helms, shelf for red helms, shelf for gold helms and shelf for tanks)

On 7/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, Cleon said:

First element of my Leviathan box pretty much done - I might need another coat of matt varnish over the decals once this one has fully cured, or it might just be the lightbox making it look worse than it is. Overall happy with how they came out.

JulLt.thumb.jpg.dc6c0c4615b457e18dfe06ee2096acdf.jpg

JulVets.thumb.jpg.9083759b216d59f713297b590c83c200.jpg

JulFlamers.thumb.jpg.dcb1752316c1eec3e13642c7118d9048.jpg

far more progress on these than me! They look great! Nice clean work on the transfers too

20 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

do people think it would be cool to maybe allocate things to various other companies? If so, any suggestions on how to split it? Iirc Phobos units aren’t necessarily from 10th? I’m guess all the veterans should get 1st company markings, not company one?

This is what I do. I have a battle company fully drawn up. Haven't completed painting all the models for it, but I know what squads are in it and what they're equipped with. (and names and stuff since I like the narrative side so much). And then for the extra units, I make them part of the appropriate reserve companies. 

I focus on the 5th company which has a 10-man assault squad and a 10-man assault intercessor squad. My additional assault/intercessor squads are painted as 8th company. All my phobos units are 10th company. (Not sure they necessarily need to be 10th, I think battleline company squads can suit up in Phobos, too. But that's what I do). Extra Intercessor/Tactical squads go into the 6th or 7th company. 

17 hours ago, BluejayJunior said:

This is what I do. I have a battle company fully drawn up. Haven't completed painting all the models for it, but I know what squads are in it and what they're equipped with. (and names and stuff since I like the narrative side so much). And then for the extra units, I make them part of the appropriate reserve companies. 

I focus on the 5th company which has a 10-man assault squad and a 10-man assault intercessor squad. My additional assault/intercessor squads are painted as 8th company. All my phobos units are 10th company. (Not sure they necessarily need to be 10th, I think battleline company squads can suit up in Phobos, too. But that's what I do). Extra Intercessor/Tactical squads go into the 6th or 7th company. 

This is nearly exactly where I am at the moment and what my plans are.

2nd company and then various elements drawn from the appropriate reserve companies. 

Well, the latest legends announcement will let me progress my squad composition a little bit. Assault squads for example will go into reserve company and the battle companies will get some more Primaris fast attack allocated. 

So far, so good. After an explosion of productivity, I managed to get my double vow some steps further. His twin is only highlighted yet, but I managed to slap on some black on the Lancer. It's the first time I'm painting this model and like always it's amazing how many details I haven't noticed just building it. Overall I think the gladiators are a tad to crammed. Especially the top of the hull, but overall I like the design. 

IMG_20230808_151828_edit_424714577615919.jpg

On 7/31/2023 at 8:53 PM, Blindhamster said:

Check the first post of my BA log - I have multiple companies for both BA and the Primaris successors, models went into my 4th company until the standard company formation was filled, then things went into reserve or other battle companies. 

Would it be interesting to use against Chaos the Terminator captain with a Thunder hammer and the Archangel's Shard enhancement?

With Anti-Chaos 5+ he would be giving mortals on 5+ !

I understand that the Lance ability doesn't combine with Anti-Chaos, right? It's only for normal wounding?

Holy moly that's amazing!

In other news, I signed up for an RTT at the end of next month... I'm gonna get wrecked! XD

I'm gonna post possible lists later when I get the chance to work through them.

Edit: figuring out a list now would be kinda pointless if a Marine Codex comes out between now and Sept 30th (which is when the tournament is being held), so I'm gonna hold off on that for a while!

I've still got to finish my Call to Arms pledge between now and then, so it's not like I'll be able to get much else done in time for the RTT. Maybe a squad of three or five.

Edited by Paladin777