Interesting indeed. Blood Angels oragne/Terracotta?

I'm also intrigued by the basing. The latest models in FW images all seem to have this red, martian like basing: The emperors children with spears, the death guard with scythes, now the night lords with glaives and this dread. I believe that this is not someones army, but a studio model, and a strong indicator of the non metallic direction theyre going with them.

I've asked for the recipe on the FW FB page so we'll see what happens there.

1 part mephiston red to 1 part blood of the martyrs.

I wonder if they used those new tints. I'm looking at trying them out, see if I can make a really vibrant red base from them, maybe even add a little yellow to make it more orangey.

They've done other BA models on the FW website that are the deeper red. I personally hope they don't go orange.

I'm aware of that, but this is the most recent offering and the first vehicle offering outside of the artwork. If you want to see a contrast, the Legion Medusa was done in a prototype 1kS scheme. Compare that to the scheme of today.

The problem, is that the FW Blood Angels color differs from one photo to the other :

On the first photo, it is more orange/terracota :

99550101539_DeredeoDreadnoughtArachusHea

And on the second photo, it is clearly Red :

01-01.jpg

Personally, i think the second option is best for 30k Blood Angels, but the first isn't bad either. (There can also be little difference color within the Legion, for reasons we may yet not known.)

Looks like more of a lighting issue than different colors.  The weathering is exactly the same so I think that's the same model in both pics.  One might have been digitally altered or they might have used different lighting.

Looks like more of a lighting issue than different colors.  The weathering is exactly the same so I think that's the same model in both pics.  One might have been digitally altered or they might have used different lighting.

My color eye isn't as good as it used to be but they definitely did something to the entire picture. If you look at the basing material in both pictures you can see the top is more orange and the bottom more red. Now I want to know which picture was re-touched.....

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the red effect from the second picture?

I'm looking at it on my phone so I might be wrong but to me it looks quite similar to my method:

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/How-to-paint-Blood-Angels-11.jpg

I did a tutorial on it here: http://www.themightybrush.com/how-to-paint-blood-angels-part-i/

Ahh, the yellow underspray to get rid of that natural pinky-purpleness of all the Vallejo reds - hadn't thought of that, cheers, will give it a go on my 30K Angels in the spring when it's warm enough to airbrush outside...

(Add usual curse about spending years achieving a Blood Angel paint scheme I was happy with only for GW to discontinue all the paints here...)

• 1 month later...

Seems to match the Deredeo from the Lascannons preview...! Well, not the weirdly lit orange one that we seemingly debunked.

Find it a little weird though as the few colour plates we have from book 6 show us very resplendent shiny red and gold, like Thousand Sons almost... Still Black details however.