The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

I'm a bit worried that this sanguinary priest who looks like Corbulo but is advertised as sanguinary priest might mean bye-bye for Corbulo as a named SP. If you think of the current GW direction (i.e. getting rid of finecast, plastics everywhere), the amount of special characters in BA range is a bit high at the moment so 'downgrading' some to generic versions might be preferable for them.

I had the same thought. I hope not... but fact is, Corbulo isn't the most compelling character to me, fluff-wise. He's pretty cool, but not a Dante or a Mephiston or a Lemartes.

Not a chance. He's featured pretty heavily in Shield of Baal.

I'm a bit worried that this sanguinary priest who looks like Corbulo but is advertised as sanguinary priest might mean bye-bye for Corbulo as a named SP. If you think of the current GW direction (i.e. getting rid of finecast, plastics everywhere), the amount of special characters in BA range is a bit high at the moment so 'downgrading' some to generic versions might be preferable for them.

I had the same thought. I hope not... but fact is, Corbulo isn't the most compelling character to me, fluff-wise. He's pretty cool, but not a Dante or a Mephiston or a Lemartes.

Did you get Book II already? I thought it wasn't released until the 6th. I've only got Book I, and I've only skimmed it, but I didn't see any serious mention of the Blood Angels at all, yet.

I'm pretty sure the Sang priest is a plastic kit. So there are probably multiple set ups you can make.

If Corbulo has been dropped then the very fact that this new model has the same wargear at least means that there is scope within the new dex to build the same model!

If Corbulo has been dropped maybe instead we will have generic Sanguinary high priests return. Which would be an upgrade over Corbulo as you could give him what eva wargear you like!

It really is pointless getting worried about what they have/haven't removed. Let's juts the have some fun with what is actually CONFIRMED! Negative speculation is boring

Did you get Book II already? I thought it wasn't released until the 6th. I've only got Book I, and I've only skimmed it, but I didn't see any serious mention of the Blood Angels at all, yet.

I didn't, but I did read the free extract and there was info in White Dwarf. Some SPOILERS ahead!

The story of Deathstorm is Corbulo believing he found a cure for the Red Thirst on Asphodex. He thinks the Flaxian dynasty's blood can cure the Red Thirst. Corbulo asks Dante and Karlaen to secure the Flax DNA and Karlaen goes to Phodia to secure Imperial Governor, Augustus Flax.

They do say that Corbulo is the leader of the "Sanguinary Cult" in White Dwarf which I thought was odd. Have the Sanguinary Priests ever been referred to as a cult before?

Arc- yup. Its there. A few people have confirmed what I think i'm seeing!

Check it out.

Also, guys, check the Advent Calender:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/advent-calendar-2014.html

Pay close attention to "digital editions" which are the rules vs. black library which is the fluff (i think?).

I assume the 13th will just be a digital release of our dex, but but but...look at the 9th!!!

Look at the dual releases on the 13th, definitely some form of alliance going on there.

tongue.png

Thought I read somewhere that during the Shield of Baal campaign 'unexpected allies' arrive down the track, dont think well be doing away with this shameful fluff anytime soon Brothers... unless we redeem ourselves by turning on the Necrons once the day is won ;)

Not that I like bursting.bubbles, but....

Is the alliance more likely to be on the 18th? Good.old McRaig (whatevs- smurfs) coming.to mop up and take the glory?

165pts makes more sense than 160. 165 is 33points each.

160 is 32 points each...why 33 is more believable than 32? :)

Anyway, I don't know if there's a higher res image, but all I see is a 1 in front of 2 more digits. 165 or 195 are both equally likely to my eyes:)...plus, we are not seeing unit composition, nor gear, nor any special rule they may have. I guess next week we'll start seeing the first codex leaks and finally find out.

I'm so underwhelmed by what the priest model turned out to be..  I've seen a million kitbashes better than that. 

I'll probably end up grabbing some flamer, gravgun, combi-grav and heavy flamer bits from bits sites and build as I see necessary, I already have 5 Tactical Squads, two of which are unassembled DV marines and a 4th editiontac  box.

That said, I'm not even sure I actually want to update the weaponry of the existing.. I may actually build a fifth Tac Squad with Combi Flamer, Flamer, Heavy Flamer.  I'll probably switch my plasma bikers to grav bikers, though.

I'm nervous that we'll probs know all the rumours of this week by Weds, and only next Monday will we get more new stuff sad.png

Worst torture...ever! ><;

Now this is something to worry about!

I for one am happy about this prospect - maybe from Wednesday on I'll be able to get some work done...

My problem is that I want to buy all the things right away but only have money for some of the things.

Must resist. Anything NOT limited edition will still be around after xmas.

I feel your pain. If you find a way to completely ignore that little voice in your head telling you to buy, please tell me.

195 pt Sanguinary Guard is only a 1 point reduction per model -- that would be rather underwhelming if that is what that blurry number really reads. I'll still use them though because they're still the best miniatures in the game IMO and the squad of them I've painted up is the pride and joy of my miniature collection along with Chapter Master Nicodemus Dolorosus.

Even if we see the points we have no idea about stats or wargear, can't really tell what's good or not just from the points. 

True, but just based on the models, we know that no matter what they'll still have artificer armour, jump packs, grenades, and power swords/axes so I don't see how much they could really change. Don't see their stats changing much, either. Maybe they lose fearless. But on the other hand, if they're 195 pts maybe death masks are now standard equipment and they have stats more on par with Death Company (it always seemed to me that SG should have the highest WS outside of characters)?

So there are unknowns, but there are also knowns just based on WYSIWYG (no way they are changing that kit outside of throwing 32 mm bases into the box, IMO).

True, but just based on the models, we know that no matter what they'll still have artificer armour, jump packs, grenades, and power swords/axes so I don't see how much they could really change.

Glaives Encarmine and Angelus boltguns are unique to Sanguinary Guard, so they're free to completely change the way they work. A strength bonus from the Glaive would make a big difference to how good that unit is, for example.

True, but just based on the models, we know that no matter what they'll still have artificer armour, jump packs, grenades, and power swords/axes so I don't see how much they could really change.

Glaives Encarmine and Angelus boltguns are unique to Sanguinary Guard, so they're free to completely change the way they work. A strength bonus from the Glaive would make a big difference to how good that unit is, for example.

Good point. A strength boost and keeping other options the same would make 195 a better value although without an invulnerable save I'd still be a bit wary of spending that many points (who am I kidding -- it would not stop me, I love the models so much I would still field them even if they went up over 200 pts for 5). Interesting times for sure, I am really intrigued to see how the actual codex pans out. I am optimistic. I have been very satisfied with the codices they've released for my other armies (Astra Militarum, Militarum Tempestus, Inquisition). So I'm sure I'll like whatever it is what we get, I'm just interested in seeing how the army may change.

I wouldn't worry too much about there not being a rumored assault squad box, new Mephiston sculpt, etc. yet.  The DE release had lots of new models (Voidraven, Haemunculus, Archon, Succubus, Wracks) and it took over a month to get them all out, not to mention the various boxed sets.  Granted, they had a bunch of Finecast to slough off, but so do Bangles.  A bit of perseverance may see new models trickle out after the initial 'dex release.

Good point. A strength boost and keeping other options the same would make 195 a better value although without an invulnerable save I'd still be a bit wary of spending that many points (who am I kidding -- it would not stop me, I love the models so much I would still field them even if they went up over 200 pts for 5). Interesting times for sure, I am really intrigued to see how the actual codex pans out. I am optimistic. I have been very satisfied with the codices they've released for my other armies (Astra Militarum, Militarum Tempestus, Inquisition). So I'm sure I'll like whatever it is what we get, I'm just interested in seeing how the army may change.

I dont know must of the TDA are about 40pts GK are 33. why make them 39pts? i belive they will end up from 32 to 35 pts ea. if they stay at 195 i will not use them, i have them but i dont use them for the reason that they are to few and to expensive in point values...

I dont know must of the TDA are about 40pts GK are 33. why make them 39pts? i belive they will end up from 32 to 35 pts ea. if they stay at 195 i will not use them, i have them but i dont use them for the reason that they are to few and to expensive in point values...

If it turns out to be 195 points I will be a sad sad panda, but I think 165 for a unit of 5 sounds about right. I'm really hoping they up the max squad size to 10 too...

Archived