Der H's Hobby - ETL 2018 Pledge complete

Der_H

Basement Complete!!!

I realise I missed a step but have since finished the basement!

Desk, airbrush station and shelves have been stained. Power has been installed, walls and ceiling have been painted. I've even mopped the floor since these pictures!

There are some areas with a subtle yellow staining that comes through the paint - i might have to keep going over these for some time. I'll probably cover these in due course. I just need some chalk boards for projects, to-do's and campaign/battle tracking. Of course I also need to move my mountain of stored hobby stuff downstairs and set up by painting, building and airbrush stations.

As you can see there is a-lot of non-hobby stuff down here. The bottom shelves on each side are reserved for tools, paint etc.

The ladder and the brushed etc will be relegated to the garage (once it is built!) and that space will be replaced by a fridge and/or freezer (read as - beer fridge). The vestibule you can see here is the way in, but also reserved for our wine collection - upshot of a honeymoon to France on a wine tour!! All in all, I'm hugely thankful to my wife for allowing this space - just best make sure she doesn't drink all of the wine whilst I'm hobbying!

I even managed to save some brick dust to base some of my Bolt Action stuff with - probably work well for some weathering powder!!

Hopefully next week Ill have some progress on slaughter priest conversion, some more painting for my IIIrd and an update to my Crimson fists!

I have to say a MASSIVE thanks to Brother Handro who helped out with this project. We're slowly gearing up our narrative campaign in the Grandia system. He has some nice stuff going on over  here! (again....sorry about your praetor buddy!)

Some progress! But not on anything from before!

Basement is all done, and my good buddy Handro and I had a hobby session earlier this week. Didn't get much don't in my slaughter priest or my EC but made a start on some deathwatch. Butterfly that I am I wanted to play with the new blackstar kit and wanted it to be useful for other forces.

Like many I wanted to be rid of the huge Inquisitorial I's and the recessed writing. This is my attempt!

Probably going to go with a faded and heavily weathered orange and/or gray scheme! (God forbid)

The thought is an armoured and armed light freighter/blockade runner - civilian, mercenary/corporate owned etc. I'll still use it with death watch but as a commandeered vehicle. I want it to seem like whichever force is using it uses it as generic craft to disguise their true identity. Whether that be IIIrd legion surprising the Grandian Defence Force, the death watch boarding a vessel harbouring zenos, or the prospect of new genestealer cultists using it to infiltrate a starship!

• 3 months later...

It’s been a busy few months, and lots of distractions around the house to prevent sufficient hobby time; I’ve also been putting in some leg work with a few other hobby projects on other games...

...However, the Primus Medicae in Cataphractii called me back. Being a IIIrd legion man myself, the Cataphractii TDA doesn’t suit my aesthetics.  I also didn’t think the torso of this sculpt was so Cataphractii that it couldnt be updated to a sleek suit of tartaros!

Here is my work so far!

The sculpt itself is so gorgeous I didn’t want to hack too much away, but a few choice cuts later and the arms are well and truly fitting for a Tartaros suit from the IIIrd legion.

I toyed with attacking the head, magnets being my thing and all, I thought having an armoured and bare head swappable but I’m not sure I’d get a blade in without destroying the model and/or my hands!

I am also curious as to if I can fit a Chirurgeon in there! I had a spare metal one lying around so carved it up a little.

There are various options including single or double servo arm, and if I include the syringes, the power pack can be dug out and replaced with part from the Fabulous Bill pack:

Rest assured that there is lots of other progress sat in the eternal progress bin....

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

Nice bit of conversion. I think I prefer it without syringes, but all the options look good.

I think you're right! It is cleaner and gives more attention to the servo arms! Thanks for the comment!

wow, he actually looks correct with those. without them he's a line chef. with them he's a combat surgeon. 

Haha, if I had two I'm sure the IIIrd could have a cook wagon serving perfect food! Lots of people didnt like the look, and I certainly want sure myself. Just need to actually paint him well enough now!

Nice work, brother. The torso sculpt does lend itself well to the Tartaros shoulder plates.

I think he's a big enough model to support the full rig but agree that it's probably better without the syringes.

Keep it up!

Cheers buddy - looks like consensus is no syringes.

Got some Phoenix legs that will soon be hacked up to replace the Cataphractii legs...watch this space!

More progress - Busy set of night shifts so in my post nights haze I couldn't bring myself to paint (other than airbrush purple onto some WIP boys!)

Behold some conversion progress on the Primus Medicae:

The old legs came off very easily, but it then took a little time to get the new ones to the right angle and length.

Thoughts?

In my conversion frenzy I also cracked on with one of my heresy plastic boxes!

Tartaros:

...of course, being obsessed with magnets, the Sgts arms are magnetised, the left hand gun pin means I have all three options to choose from, and the heavy weapon is also pinned.

It even fits the magnetized arms from my other characters!

I’ve got a load of painting on the cards now with most of them undercoated and base coated with the airbrush. I have two ongoing conversions - one based on the ultramarine herald, and one as my version of Saul Tarviz...watch this space (Emperor willing I might even paint something!)

Great work, brother!

The leg conversion is awesome, and in combination with the arms, pads and chest design, he now looks like he's wearing something out of the IIIrd Legion forge!

Sneaky Tartaros progress too! Sarge looks good, where's the head from again?

After a great day of hobbying with Brother Handro we have progress!

Behold (my take on...) Saul Tarviz, The honour of his Legion...

(Just seen the left boot....urgh! It shall be fixed)

Of course magnets...because I always want more HQ choices etc...

Saul isn't a character I'll run often, being a) traitors and :cool.: a post-Istvaan army, but occasionally he will see action. One of those times was today...against orks...where he challenged and wounded a warboss, only to be chopped into 4 evenly sized Saul Tarviz bites...

I tried to keep the white panels muted, and gave an attempt at detailing the helmet and elbows with swirled patterns of white on off white. I quite like it, but it needs more work! It's also my first decal attempt since I got back into the hobby in 2012 - shameful! Thoughts? (Ive noticed so many little bits to repair/touch up...)

I also had a go at improving my Praetor's white panels - which I'd never been happy with...What do you guys think?

(Subtle and poor light but they arent as WHITE as they use to be...

Great work on the Medic! Brave and bold, I like it!! Nice use of the churigen!! It really should have been a Tartaros pattern all along!!

Cheers Eidolon! I love your work, just seen your new stuff on the 'tale of' thread. Love the use of old raptor packs!

Your Primus Medicae conversion is awesome, a really great improvement on the original model! 

Thanks very much! I like to buy the FW event only models (because Im a sucker for limited stuff from FW apparently!) but so many of them need "improvements"

OrksOrksOrksOrks!....cough, sorry brother, don't know what came over me...

Saul is looking mighty fine, but he was as cocky as Lucius, and was rightfully humbled by the Git-rippa. :wink: 

Transfer's looking pretty well set, can't see any silvering yet, and I forgot how awesome that Praetor model was!

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, a slower week last week. I finally threw my hat into the L&T event with these bad boys;

And hot in the tails of the primus medicae, I cobbled together three apocetharies and a power armoured primus!

• 5 weeks later...

There is actually some progress here I promise!

Work is busy and the hobby cave is FULL of bolt action scenery....Bastogne forest FTW!

I put out all of my fully painted ECs the other day:

Im quite pleased but and more frustrated by the sheer number of gray and base purple models in the WIP pile!

L&T III has me working slowly, managed to get my phoenix guard and praetor tribune to this stage:

Much work to do!

Oi mate, might be my eyes but isn't there a Moritat missing from that army shot?.... :whistling:

Great photo though, very inspiring and awesome to see how much progress from starting from scratch. 

Just a shame it's all gonna be ground under the remorseless treads of the Imperial militia... :wink:

The time for battle approaches!...

Haha, as brother Handro astutely points out, I have too many HQ choices... here's are some of the others:

@Lord Commander Eidolon - thanks buddy. I love the kakophani -> apocethary conversions I've seen so bad to have a go! I'm still. It happy with Fabulous Bill. I'm tempted to embark on an ambitious (and expensive) conversion from the great money pit of eBay - some DE bits and lose the skin armour. Corrupted with pipes and injectors, and of course the churg, but maybe even move away from the classical images...

@Kizzdougs - your IIIrd gave me so much inspiration and the quality of your painting astounds me. I've learnt a huge amount from your tutorials. I'm pretty sure my praetor torso was your idea first so apologies for the blatant theft!

@Brother Handro - it's only taken 4 years though right...bring it on brother! We might even get some games in before a new version!

Archived