I'm finished but I have no photos due to no natural light, instead we have a grey sky that constantly showering everything with snow 24/7 right now. I'll see if I can get some photos up to friday or I'll go to plan B. Plan B is a lamp that burns like thousand suns and probaly will melt the model instantlynuke.gif and double if not triple my electric billlaugh.png . It will look strange in a glowing white hot light, but you make due with what you have right?

@Raven That is a awesome Punisher with the BT feel to it, a great write up that seemed be inspired by Helsreach(wich is the best Black Templar book I have read).

@Cod I really like the blue shine it's kinda mesmerizing and the distinct green uniform, keep up the good work.

@Scatmandoo I wish I could paint camouflage it looks awesome and it looks like you used a airbrush which is a nice touch. I liked the write up with a moody Machine spirit that sometimes seems to succumb to black ragebiggrin.png

@Ldorte That is a fantstick looking super heavy, you can really see that it has seen many battles, that must have taken you a long time to get all these detals on it like the black burnt barrels to the small bullet holes. And of couse the best wayis the ending with a triple of super heaviesthumbsup.gif I liked the write up with a defense force that stood up to everithing the xenos can throw at them for 600 years.

@Our_Baz I really like the urban camo, it lhave that clean and fresh look, that is fantstic. How did you do it?

@ Vash What a great pose, the Sentinel looks amazing. It had to look at the pictures to detect all of the details and final touches. A great write up with the special forces covert operations theme.

If I have forgotten someone I do apologize, I only have a limited computer time, I'll try to catch up in the weekend.

Thanks for the comments guys, getting there slowly!

@Sviar, basically "requisitioned" the scheme from WW1 naval dazzle camo. I draw the lines over the basecoat using a hard sharp pencil and a flexible ruler. Then spend half my time trying to keep the lines straight. Will also be adding some corrosion in the form of poor maintenance (See Sentinel and Basilisk in my gallery) to give you an idea of what I'm going for.

As promised (in the lead-up thread), my tutorial on taking decent photos with a mobile phone:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302515-taking-decent-photos-with-a-mobile/

Anyone who posts a decent, cropped image of their finished tank (this cranky, retired commissar will be the judge) will get it added to the final mosaic I hope to put together. :)

As promised (in the lead-up thread), my tutorial on taking decent photos with a mobile phone:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302515-taking-decent-photos-with-a-mobile/

Anyone who posts a decent, cropped image of their finished tank (this cranky, retired commissar will be the judge) will get it added to the final mosaic I hope to put together. smile.png

Very nice information! Thank you.

That's a great tutorial, it will make a big difference! I'll just need to remember to give it a go (and find the time!), like you said if you're showing off a model you worked hard on you should give it a good shot. Not everyone will have a fancy camera after all :)

med_gallery_62353_10396_96152.jpg

Baneblade "Imperator"

975th Armoured Battalion

Unit designation 012

Hull no. 936192

711th Cadian Combined Arms Brigade

The 711th CCAB is a mixed arms unit comprising of the 897th Infantry Battalion and their support vehicles, the 975th Armoured Battalion, the 201st Artillery Regiment (a mixed platform force), remnants of the 661st Squadron Air Support unit and a small force of Elysians.

The 711th was recently dispatched to Eridanus Tertiary, also known to the local population as "Rivers End" as, due to it's close orbit to it's sun, it is mainly covered by rolling dunes and scrappy vegetation. A significant force of Orks under Warboss Sturtuk had attacked smaller settlements and the Astra Militarum had been called to help the Planetary Governor whose only forces where a ceremonial bodyguard and they where fully unprepared to fight off the green horde.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/Publication1_zpscbca54bb.jpg

Eridanus Tertiary

On arrival, they discovered that due to a warp transit accident and extremely poor planning by the Departmento Munitorum, their full entitlement of desert adapted equipment had not arrived and they where only able to be outfitted in the distinctive camouflage clothing but not the equipment.

Sgt Major Nesh was heard to joke that the clothing reminded him of his mothers biscuits and so the Brigade unofficially adopted the name "Chocochip Rats".

The vehicles have adopted a mixed green/sand camouflage scheme which blends in well with the surrounding terrain although the constant abrasive effect of the wind blown sand does not take long to make a freshly painted vehicle look like it has been there for years.

The Brigade is currently shaking out prior to full deployment on a seek and destroy mission.

+++Update+++

Battle of Ridge 582 North

37 days after the initial deployment of the 711th CCAB on Eridanus Teritary, High Command believed it was time to engage in a major battle. The Brigade was deployed in force to Smitts Plain, a large area of rocky outcrops rising above a firm sand surface. The main feature of this plain was a long, rocky ridge-line running east-west with the only available fresh water spring for 100 clicks. The defensibility of the ridge and availability of a water supply made it an ideal location for a staging base for further and farther reaching patrols to secure more of the Western Great Desert area. Unfortunately the orks had also seen the possibility behind this location.

Aerial reconnaissance carried out by 661st Squadron Air Support showed a medium sized ork force in residence on Ridge 582 including infantry with vehicle support.

A mixed force of infantry, artillery and armour was sent to destroy any ork resistance and occupy the ridge.

On approaching Ridge 582 the Cadians where assaulted by the orks, who true to their nature had no intention of fighting a defensive battle and had decided to attack the column during it's advance. Unfortunately they had not considered that the flat, firm desert surface was ideal for armoured formations and although the orcs where destroyed, their numbers and fanatical attack made the Battle of Ridge 582 North a battle that was entered into the history of the 711th with pride and earned the unit a citation to add to the Battalion standard.

​Individual acts of courage where too numerous to recount in full. Sufficed to say that in the heat of battle the members of the 711th proved themselves worthy of The Emperor. The Chimera transports of the 897th Infantry Battalion where to be found in the thick of the action, multi-lasers and hull bolters glowing with the heat of continuous firing whilst the troops prepared themselves to deploy to winkle orks from rocks where they where too well hidden for the heavy weapons to have full effect. The Leman Russ variants (Battle Tanks, Demolishers and Vanquishers) targeted the fast moving ork Trukks and Buggies but the main force of the ork attack was aimed at the single Baneblade "Imperator" which had deployed directly opposite of the main assault, more out of luck than planning, and bore the main brunt of the orks anger.

The Imperator

Captain Everson lowered his binoculars, he did not need them to see the individual ork vehicles spewing from Ridge 582 any more, they where getting close now. Sitting high up in the cupola of the Baneblade "Imperator" gave him a view like no other vehicle commander. The Baneblade was simply massive. A rock of Holy armour and violent death for the enemies of The Emperor. Turning to his left he gave a simple nod to SSgt McGarty who nodded back before cranking the load handle on the heavy stubber.

Inside the Baneblade the crew where loading the armament, taking a last drink and praying before the action was due to begin. They had fought orks before and knew what the ork assault would be like, simply a green wave of howling aggression aimed at destroying all in front of them. They had faith in the Imperator and The Emperor to protect them. It was a simple faith but well grounded as they had been in combat many times before they where still alive.

"Turret traverse, target 039 degrees, range 1950, hi-ex, fire for effect!" The Baneblade rocked on it's tracks as the Mega Battle Cannon fired it's first shot of the battle, the recoil physically shaking the 316 ton vehicle. This is what Everson lived for! The high explosive shell flew towards the orks who where temporally hidden behind the dust cloud meaning that Everson did not actually see the shell hit but the aftermath was clear. A group of ork buggies simply ceased to exist.

"Watch for those Trucks!" McGarty spoke calmly - almost leisurely. "They are getting close."

"Turret traverse, target 021 degrees, range 1820, ap, fire!" the armour piercing shell flew the distance in the blink of an eye taking the armoured truck in the engine grill, passing through the lightly armoured passenger compartment before exiting the rear and hitting a following biker who did not have time to register what had happened.

​Time blurred for Everson. The simple mantra of target acquisition was relayed to the crew. At some point he realised that he had given the command for the hull mounted Demolisher Cannon to fire but he could not remember when. The orks continued to close the distance. He had to give them that they where brave, stupid but brave. The Commissar said it was just the way of the ork, that they did not deserve respect, that they where just beasts with a beast's reaction. It was not bravery! Everson silently disagreed with that view even though he knew what the punishment would be if the Commissar ever heard him speak his thoughts out loud.

The orks where now close enough for the sponson bolters to start their deep throated chugg, chugg, chugg. Orks fell but still on they came, closer and closer. McGarty opened fire with the stubber meaning that the orks where now dangerously close, close enough that they could fire their large calibre hand guns at Imperator and the slugs ricocheted from the armour of the Baneblade. But there where simply too many of them. The rest of the Cadians also had their hands full and from his high vantage point, Everson could see that the majority of the orks would have to pass close to him to get to the other vehicles and to the ork, a Baneblade was just too big to avoid and had a magnetic effect on them.

Slugs ricocheted from his hatch, the stubber had run dry, orks had jumped from the nearest truck and their filthy feet where scrambling up the Baneblades holy hull. As Everson watched, one of the creatures lost his footing and with a howl fell between the racing tracks. The remainder continued to scramble upwards towards Everson and McGarty. Pulling his las-pistol and firing he shouted "Left stick, hard" and the driver reacted instantly, turning Imperator into a hard turn to the left causing the orks to loose their footing and the left track rode up and over the ork truck which had just delivered them, flattening it under the Baneblades weight.

"Driver straight" Everson shouted as both he and McGarty slipped into the turret, closing the cupola hatches behind them.

+++"Any vehicle, Imperator. We have hitch-hikers and would appreciate help discouraging them."+++ said McGarty over the Company Command net.

+++"Hellhound 450 glad to help."+++ came back over the net followed by the unmistakeable whoosh of an inferno cannon. "That will need a repaint." commented McGarty.

+++"You're clear Imperator. Carry on the good work.."+++

Opening the cupola, Everson's lip curled at the smell of burnt ork but he continued to identify targets, feeding the information back to his gunners and marvelling at Imperators destructive power. Only major damage or simply running out of ammunition would stop Imperator but that was not a thought he wanted to envisage.

Target, fire, target, fire. Time passed, orks died. The battle was not one way though and Everson said a silent prayer to The Emperor as Hellhound 450, the very vehicle who had saved them earlier in the battle, was over-run and destroyed by a well placed ork grenade. The vehicle exploded in a wave of heat as the fuel tanks ignited taking the nearby orks with it.

As with all battles, the brain numbs with the constant action, the body grows weary.

War takes it's toll and Everson was brought back from his fatigue by a scratchy voice in his ear.

+++"Cease fire, cease fire. Make safe main armament. Casualty and damage reports by unit on Command net."+++

With this simple message, the battle of Ridge 582 was over. Imperator had held firm, the orks where defeated.

All progress is good :D Speaking of which...

gallery_30308_3239_27089.jpg

Plus a little bit of magnetisation!

gallery_30308_3239_5823.jpg

It was a real struggle to find the time so I was forced to nibble away but I'm finally ready for priming! Just got to wait for suitable weather then I can get my paint on. Looking forward to that, plus I'm pretty quick at painting tanks which is just as well given how long it has taken me to get this far :P I'm going to have to scale back my plans a bit but I'll leave it open for additional later, at least I've got the first draft of the write ups done so I'm not completely failing at tackling this :lol:

Onwards and upwards comrades, there's still time enough for all to finish on time :)

A impressive Imperator Elmothumbsup.gif I like the camo and the dirt all around the edges. I also liked the write up, it was well written and I liked the part where the Orks tank surfed on the Imperators roof.

I just got some fluff to add to Bullet Hose. Be prepared for some progress pictures.

Lets see, I dusted and cleaned my picture screen. I got chips with dip and a cool beverage. Ok I'm preparedbiggrin.png

I'm pretty quick at painting tanks

So this time tomrrow thenmsn-wink.gif I would like to hear about the magnetisation though.

The funny thing is that my Vanquiser and my write up has been finished since wednesday. And the forecast for tomorrow is a lot more snow and of course a grey sky, so I think that I'm going to try Camera+ to see if it helps, thanks for the tutorial Kierdale.

Not really part of this, but I thought I'd at least join in the fun at least with a bit about my Guard's background.  Feel free to critique this as I always like ways to improve upon it.  Bear in mind that there is more I am still working on the situation of the last 500 years in which the entire system being pretty well destroyed and plunged into a vicious war of annihilation by the battered survivors of a complex web of enemies. 

Perhaps if I get around to it, I may even toss out a drop sentinel if I ever get the motivation to paint it.

Regiment: Syrinx 2112th

Planetary Info

Syrinx is not a planet, but the name of a star and its system. Although there is only a single habitable world in the system, it is common convention to refer to anyone from any part of the system as being from Syrinx. Many of the celestial bodies of the system have archaic names dating back from initial settlement from closest to Syrinx, the planets and asteroid belts are: the gold colored world of Latonia, Ortygia, the only inhabitable world Nymphae, the inner asteroid belt named Ladon, the largest planet Pan, Euoi, the red gas giant that whose clouds appears as if to burn Kythereia, the world of frozen oceans Liquidae, the far flung world of ice called Satyri, and the outer asteroid belt of Lycaeus.

Nymphae is a large planet of great natural wealth and varied terrain capable of supporting a vast population. Orbiting a star not that dissimilar to that of Holy Terra's, Nymphae is the third of eight planets in the system; the three closest are rocky worlds and five outermost being gas giants, as is to be expected of a Terra-similar system. Two major asteroid belts, one separating the rocky worlds from the gas giants and another just past the gas giants, are also present and contain vast mineral wealth that have served Syrinx well for many thousands of years. The farther of the two from the star was noted by the first settlers as being unnatural due to the heavy metal concentration and presence of nearly useless and ruined archaeotech. It was theorized that a massive artificial body, likely the size of a planet, of some xenos species had been destroyed in that orbit, creating the asteroid field.

Being fairly distant from the greater Imperium and in a relatively quiet portion of space on the outermost edge of the Astronomican's range, the world has only been invaded twice, both times by a xenos race that has since been exterminated two centuries after Syrinx was welcomed into the folds of the Imperium in M35. However, what has provided the greatest protection for Syrinx is not its location, but rather the rare Warp tides surrounding the system that only allows a single safe transition point into or out of the system, a point well known and well defended. Due to the surge of the Warp, this point only exists for a small stable window of six months every couple of decades. These windows are quite predictable allowing for a vast reduction in planetary defense as the periods when increased defenses are necessary are easy to forecast and the Administratum can prepare for tithes and other necessary planetary business when contact resumes with Syrinx.

With such short periods open to trade they Syrinx system has developed into a highly self sufficient system, recycling and reusing all materials to conserve that which has yet to be extracted. Even though the short windows of stable Warp translation see vast imports into the system, it is thanks to the resource rich asteroid belts and planetary scale strip mining of the uninhabitable planets in the system that Syrinx is able to produce much of its own manufactured goods in the many orbital factories above the planet and on the facilities located on the two small moons of Nymphae. These vast space based facilities spare the planet much of the pollution of heavy industry. While these facilities are now overseen by the Tech Priests of Mars, prior to entering the Imperium they were once controlled by the Grand Council of Syrinx directly providing the necessary goods for the world to survive the Old Night.

In addition to the many manufacturing orbitals around the planet and both of its moons, there exists a vast array of defensive stations, satellites, system ships, and weapon platforms collectively known as "the Temple," a term of forgotten origin known only to date back to the first settlers of Syrinx. In addition to the industrial and defensive space assets there are a great many space colonies, both residential and agricultural, and a variety of space stations of varied purposes scattered throughout the system, bringing the population of the isolated system well into the hundreds of billions. With so much of the population and activity located in space, the planet has remained in fairly pristine condition, making it a vacation destination of the wealthy and elite of Syrinx. Apart from a few homes of the most wealthy and powerful, the only people living on the surface of Nymphae are the serving class that maintain the homes and resorts.

This class of servants is considered to be of quite high social standing with only the exceptionally wealthy and political class above them. Considering the fact that they are the only class of people to exclusively live on Nymphae and have quite comfortable lifestyles, it is little wonder that they are held in such high social regard. Below this servant class comes those who are rich, but unable to afford a home on Nymphae as well as those politicians of minor standing. Further down are the various military, lower Ecclesiarchy, Administratum, and merchants. In order at the bottom are the retail positions, laborers, and unemployed. While movement up or down the social stratum of Syrinx in not particularly common, it is encouraged and does happen with enough frequency so as to not bear any stigma.

Notably the Mechanicum is not a traditional part of the social hierarchy, but for the vast majority of the Syrinx born Mechanicum, a similar social hierarchy exists that parallels it close enough for integration into Syrinx society. For its part, the Adeptus Mechanicus does generally, if grudgingly, respect this social system for the increased efficiency in dealing with outsiders. The Mechanicum's far reach across the system with constant daily interaction outside their rank sees considerable data on this social hierarchy collected and in true Mechanius fashion, it is collated and complied into an ever updating reference known as the Syrinx Social Matrix. Despite their lack of interest the Mechanicum has, by a matter of expediency, become the foremost social experts in the system, a fact which they are cognizant of and have used to great effect in their dealings with the greater Syrinx system.

Government

Prior to discovery by the Imperium, Syrinx had been governed by a ruling body known as the Grand Council composed of the world's most wealthy and powerful individuals. New members would be invited by the Grand Council once they reached enough influence to attract the attention of the sitting Council. Within the Grand Council, each of the members held sway roughly proportional to the influence they held over the system, although this fluctuated through the trading of political favors. Like any body of powerful ambitious individuals, the numbers were constantly being thinned by the member's seeking to destroy their enemies. At its largest, the Council consisted of over 700 members, but by the time of the Horus Heresy through its entry into the Imperium, the Grand Council numbered just more than 100. Following admittance into the Imperium, power had been split between the Grand Council, a planetary governor, and the ruling Adeptus Mechanicus' Lord Magos. While nominally all three share equal power, the balance constantly fluctuates as each tries to gain leverage over the other two.

However, the true master of Syrinx is the Inquisition who control the system in all but name, allocating the planetary resources as they see fit through a firm control over the planetary governor and the Grand Council with the Adeptus Mechanicus guided into following the Inquisition's will. While the planetary governor’s staff and much of the Grand Council know nothing of this, the governor is actually one of the many guises of the Lord Inquisitor who heads the Syrinx Cabal. Many of the most powerful of the Council are likewise Inquisitors of the Cabal who reside within the system as well, cementing the Inquisition's hold over the system. Even within the Mechanicum's hierarchy in system, a small number of the Lord Magos' direct subordinates hold loyalty to the Syrinx Cabal over the Adeptus Mechanicus, a coup that took many centuries for the Syrinx Cabal to manage. If discovered, this subversion would undoubtedly plunge the entire system into a bloody civil war as the Mechanicum, Administratum, and a great many Inquisitorial Ordos would seek to purge the system of the Cabal. Even the local order of Adeptus Sororitas have been infiltrated by the Cabal with many high ranking members, including their Canoness claiming loyalty first to the Cabal then to others.

The Syrinx Cabal itself is a loose organization of Inquisitors from across the Imperium only united in their common connection to Syrinx and the resources they draw from it. As well as these wide spread Inquisitors, the Syrinx loyal Magi within the Adeptus Mechanicum, and the Canoness of the Order of the Ashen Rose, a minor order of the Adepta Sororitas whose sole shrine is located on Syrinx, are counted among the ranks of the Syrinx Cabal and are the true power driving the system. There is a single Chapter of Space Marines with some awareness of Syrinx's loyalty to the Inquisition, but are already devoted to working alongside the Inquisition and maintain the secret of Syrinx as a matter of honor and duty.

It is a little known fact, even amongst the members of the Cabal that Syrinx was discovered by agents of a long forgotten Inquisitor in M33 and through the combined effort on the part of a great many powerful Inquisitors from all three of the major Ordos, the world's entry into the Imperium was made possible with no noticeable transition on the part of the citizens of Syrinx or even the Administratum or Imperium as a whole. This was done through a careful process of assassination, coercion, manipulation, along with gradual cultural and religious change over the course of many generations on Syrinx while Administratum records were slowly and subtly edited and modified. The end result was that Syrinx has, unknown even to itself, become an Inquisitional stronghold and recruiting ground while presenting itself as a model system of the Imperium.

While the planet does maintain regular tithes to the Munitorium, their tithe level is considerably lower than similar planetary systems, mostly due to the relative isolation and the work of the various Ordos that utilize Syrinx as a ready source of men at arms and materials. While such a discrepancy has never been noticed in the vast bureaucracy, safeguards were put in place to ensure the low tithe level was justified.

Of the regiments raised, there are a number of regiments that, while nominally apart of the Imperial Guard, are actually fanatically loyal to the Inquisition. Like many other secret organizations, those within these regiments know increasingly more about the truth as their rank within the regiment increases, but even the general commanding the regiment, or Legatus as they are properly titled, is fully unaware of the entire truth, knowing only as much as his Inquisitorial masters desire. That said there are those scattered throughout the ranks quite fully aware of the truth and tasked with ensuring the continued status quo by whatever means are appropriate.

Each of the three major Ordos represented within the Cabal has several inducted regiments that swears itself fully to that Ordo's mission. Each of these regiments also tend to draw upon far greater manpower and material than normal for any regiment, not only at founding, but also while on campaign. With the aid of "creative accounting," these egregiously sized regiments are recorded by the Munitorium as only slightly above full strength due to constant reinforcement and being merged with badly depleted regiments in war zones across the Imperium. Additional supplies and equipment beyond the normal allotment for a regiment often comes to the Syrinx regiments in the form of “clerical errors” orchestrated by the Inquisition.

From each of these regiments, soldiers of various quality and specialty are occasionally drawn from and distributed throughout the many warbands of Inquisitors that count themselves a part of the Syrinx Cabal. In cases where it is necessary where members of the Cabal are in need of a loyal army certain to carry out sensitive tasks properly, these regiments are ideal choices as these battle hardened armies almost always find themselves learning more of the Inquisition than your average regiment thanks to the many “missions” they are called upon to undertake. In many cases, an Inquisitor will only ever recognize fellow Cabal members through their deployment of Syrinx units or from individuals within a retinue hailing from Syrinx.

Of these regiments, the Syrinx 2112th is a regiment adopted by the Ordo Xenos. Known as the Temple Priests, the 2112th is heavily drawn from units across "the Temple" and the manufacturing orbitals. That is not to say that they exclusively draw reinforcements from the space borne assets as the 2112th, but like the other Inquisitional Syrinx regiments, they draw assets from across the entire system to ensure that sufficient diversity is in their units to allow for a variety as great as possible so as to best serve their hidden masters. This practice also makes the task of identifying the true size of the regiment even more difficult due to the non-uniform equipment and organization of the regiment. Combined with a number of other regiments being “lost” thanks to the closing of the stable transition point or other such commonplace hazards as well as absorbing numerous non-Syrinx units that had been utilized by the Ordos, the 2112th has seen significant growth since its founding. Thanks to having absorbed the remnants of two Phantine regiments, the 2112th is now capable of supplying their own air support and drop troops, a situation that may have been engineered for the expressed purpose of operational autonomy.

I'm pretty quick at painting tanks

So this time tomrrow then;) I would like to hear about the magnetisation though.

Haha, well maybe not that quick I still need to give it a primer first tongue.png

As for the magnetising look no further than our very own tutorial! I did cheat a little bit with the magnets in the sponsons but it works, I'll sort out a picture tonight to demonstrate the short cut.

Fasha, good to see you joining in! Your fluff reads well to me, you've clearly put a lot of thought and time into it :)

Archived