Drop Assault out

Kilofix

It doesn't make sense that the loyalists in Istvaan III would have drop pods or orbital strikes, for instance. Devastators are less resilient than tactical marines. Terminators do less damage than tactical marines. Those are things that part from the particular story of the Istvaan III setting, or the general 30K legion fluff. All in all it's still HH, it's just not accurate with some stuff. And those inaccuracies are there to keep the game as close to Boom Beach as possible, while trying not to alienate too much players of the TT version or people that know the actual lore. Personally I would've been happier if they had altered the Boom Beach balance and did something closer to the more regular lore, like including assault squads, and having devastators be less rare than terminators, and as resilient as tacticals.

Mind elaborating? Which b

This game is an almost exact clone of Boom Beach... Which I also play... Seems ok other than the obvious breach of fluff..

I seem to have missed something; mind elaborating which obvious breach you're referring to?

Really?

You think the survivors of the bombardment had the resources and time to set up little bases and go play skirmish with each other?

That Angron was a caricature?

That the Loyalists have orbital support?

It's 100% fluffrape, but it's all in gameplays name so it's irrelevant. If you don't like don't play, but the fluff is jarringly bad.

I am now at the point where most enemy bases are just too hard to take, I always take casualties. If I take anything other than cataphractii they will get wasted by a mortar as it seems like the minimum number is 3 per base now. Lascannons and flamers wreck terminators. There are just way too many turrets per base to allow you to tactically think things out. You need beacons but also EMP and Servoheal. Eh it just seems kind of lame.

There are actually 'tricks' to defeating different AI bases. Especially the higher level ones. Just throwing 50 Cataphractii won't always work. That's part of the challenge.

If there's a particular base you're having trouble with - post the layout and we (collectively) can help figure it out.

For the base above, EMP works great, else flying a single (even unupgraded) Raptor to hit the base will also work.

With other bases you will need to use Dominate on the one very high level AI Conversion Beamer turret and use it to kill the other stuff, etc.

Or use a carefully placed Orbital to kill a cluster of supply so that you get more Energy to Orbital more stuff, etc.

Right now my army list is 3 x 5 Cataphractii, 3 x 3 Jetbikes, 1 x 2 Raptors.

Right now my army list is 3 x 5 Cataphractii, 3 x 3 Jetbikes, 1 x 2 Raptors.

Duh.

While I am quite used to people out modeling and out painting me with actual miniatures, now you people are actually outpacing me in building up pixels....;p

I just started the game yesterday, and its extremely fun.  Yes the fluff issue are there, but it is a free game, and i got my money worth.  I am now Nathienal Garro of the loyalist Death Guard Legion:wink:

My question is which legion is the Best?  Go Traitor or loyalist?  

I had a fun bug today.

Logged on and reinforced my recently upgraded support squad. Went to watch a reply of my base surviving as I waited for the last Man to recruit.

Turns out I lost the battle, despite the score being I won! Went back to my base and half my forces were MIA!

My strategy currently has been:

• Complete as many Achievements early - save the Machine Spirit for 3 Techmarines.
  • Complete daily Achievements to get as much Machine Spirit as possible.
  • Win as many PvP games early (before other folks level up) to get Munition / Power rewards - save the rewards if full on Munitions / Power.
  • As far as possible, keep 3 buildings and 1 research going at all times. Building and Researching increases your level which allows you to upgrade your HQ, which allows you to upgrade everything else.
  • If you have extra Machine Spirit after 3 Techmarines - only spend them on upgrading Turrets. Because when you upgrade a Turret it is inactive. Whereas a building being upgraded is still a building.
  • Whenever your Level allows, upgrade your HQ and Logistics first. Logistics allows you to open up the map (spending your often excess Munitions) and also gives you more targets and more chances of finding respawning Machine Spirit caches.
  • Every six hours - check map, kill all the Player held bases as they give the most Glory (10 from players vs 5 from AI). Complete the bonus objectives as much as possible.
  • Early on - stick to Cataphractii and Support or Cataphractii and Jetbikes.
  • Upgrade Beacon, EMP and Dominate Tactics first (before Orbital). Because upgrades to the latter really cut down on subsequent energy use. Whereas, if your Orbital wasn't going to kill something in one shot anyway, it probably won't do so with an upgrade.
  • Check the Top Players board - look for a player called Alakhai - he's got the optimum base layout.

More stuff later.

Edit - Also, even in the case of like a Turret, that you want to upgrade instantly; Don't use the Instant button to spend Machine Spirit that shows up in the initial screen. Instead, choose to pay the full Power cost for it, and only then reclick on the building and click on the small circular to use Machine Spirit to complete it instanly. The latter costs much less Machine Spirit than the former (even though the latter also costs Power - but you can get Power easily by trashing a couple of opposing player's bases).

So Alakhai and have been taking turns trashing each other's bases. We blow each other's bases up about twice a day. And throughout I've been tweaking my layout, moving turrets up, moving turrets back, etc. Anyway, today I finally repelled his attack but barely, lol. I'm sure Alakhai will be back with a vengeance but that's the fun of it I guess.

16383335381_c1d9fa3072_b.jpg

16385218695_9f0b28bfb9_b.jpg

16383335391_ae277b3b8a_b.jpg

16383335431_da558161d3_b.jpg

Edit - Actually, looking at my own screenshots, I just realized that I successfully defended not because of my layout tweaks but because he was over eager and deployed his Raptors too early. A couple more lucky Titan Laser Blaster shots and all my anti-air would have been dusted. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

That is quite a base!

I've reached a point where I think I need to upgrade everything before pressing on. My base had been getting stomped with some work it slowed down but I need to level up my guns. Same goes for my troops too as AI bases are getting crazy too.

I'm also wishing they would do something closer to the Siege of Terra for this game...

Yeah, only time will tell. I honestly think the Siege would be a great setting because there were more legions and forces at play plus the idea of taking and holding bases would make more sense. Then again you can apply that to other battles.

Right now I am dying for a mixture of Dawn of War, Star Wars: Empire at War, and set during the Horus Heresy rolled into a game the more I play around with Drop Assault. Building and upgrading units with experience coupled with both ground & void warfare all set in an age lost to most as mere myth.

That is pretty amusing!

Thanks for the screenshots, Kilo.

I was just getting a little frustrated myself. It seems like so many of the player bases are just boring carbon copies of each other now. Pretty much everything is a ring of turrets surrounding the HQ. Bleh. 

That is pretty amusing!

I was just getting a little frustrated myself. It seems like so many of the player bases are just boring carbon copies of each other now. Pretty much everything is a ring of turrets surrounding the HQ. Bleh. 

i know that from star wars commander every base looks the same after a certain game progression:rolleyes: 

but that's like most rock, paper scissors based game, the mechanics don't leave much room for alternating base layouts.

That is pretty amusing!

Mine has turned into this but I try to use my other buildings throughout the "ring of fire" as distractions. I just hope that enemy troops will end up auto-aiming for them and it gives my guns more time to kill the enemy. It has been so-so in effect. I really just need to upgrade the heck out of my weapons. Most are close to lvl 5 and 6 but some are lagging.

I barely get attacked, maybe once every 2 days. Currently at level 22. I don't know if this is normal, or there's just not enough players. When I go skirmish about 80%-90% of the battles I fight are against bots (I've spanked Jesse's and Justin's asses so many times now). Currently I'm at 250/400 turrets, I just don't bother even building Level 1 ones to go up to 400, since nobody attacks me anyway...Also, enemy AI bases have become so tough, that I'm just focusing in upgrading my HQ, troop bays and research facility, to get as many troops as powerful as I can, disregarding my own base security. I got to level 1 skirmish but have yet to claim 8 of the rewards, I've been living off that for at least 5 days :)

From what I've heard skirmish ranks will be reset every 2 weeks?...is this correct?...I'm like 250 short for the 3rd techmarine, and I can get 200 just by claiming all the skirmish rewards up to the first (the achievements related to skirmish rank don't complete unless you claim the reward), but then I'll lose huge amounts of resources. If skirmish ranks are reset, I don't mind claiming it all just to get the 3rd fellow, but if they don't, then it's a really big pile of power I'd be giving up...

There do seem to be a lot of bots. They're pretty easy to slap down too.

Does it actually cause any negative effects when your base gets trashed? It's happened to me more times than I can count but not caused any noticeable drag on my performance. I'm assuming that it's because my general standard of play is so low that it doesn't register.

Archived