With some time to spare, one completed ETL vow:

gallery_30308_14554_49408.jpg

With some decent light better pictures of the Culexus also:

gallery_30308_14554_40376.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_15810.jpg

Was good to get some models done and my hobby batteries are fully charged to continue after a small break ;) Next thing for here will be more Stormies :)

Cool, definitely power through the Stormies you have while you're in the mood. What will that be - 20 in total? Will look awesome altogether and no doubt a potent force on the table :yes:

I'm attempting to get a model painted for a game Sunday but now I'm done with my Custodes I find myself pondering what to do next and if I should make a start on that IG WIP thread I promised! Something about the post-ETL time where you feel so free and weightless, like you can now take on any challenge and not feel the heavy weight of a public deadline :woot:

25, as I have a box from when they first came out plus the Start Collecting box I've been working through now. I'm pondering if I will eventually get another box to essentially complete the Stormtroopers (as they're intended to be a fully fledged force, in time) and get another Taurox but not until I've painted all I've got :lol:

It's always a good time for a WIP, even more so for a Guard one :wink: I plan on being a bit better splitting my time between armies to help keep things fresh :smile.:

Perhaps that's something I can do, hop between armies to make sure I don't burn out. I have to admit to struggling with finishing my ETL vow at the end. I shall take stock of my IG models and see if it's worth starting a WIP thread. I've had a load pickling in Dettol for months... maybe the paint is all gone now :sweat:

Well I don't want to be taken out back and shot (though from experience it'll only bounce off the Custodes armour :tongue.:) so I shall get on that! First I need a stock take of what I have :wink:

Anyway - talking of stock take (ignoring the Stormies, since we already have a number) - WF how many models are left to paint? You must be pretty close to the holy grail of a complete army? Complete as in all currently owned models being done of course :wink: I'm only asking as that blue was stunning and I'm keen to see more models painted in it...

I don't know how many Guard models I have left to paint. There's a mostly full old 20-man box, plus at least one HWS box... but not that many overall probably. I was thinking I need to do some more troopers as I keep needing to fill in with Voxes (don't know why I've got so many!).

A Guard army is never truly finished though :P The blue will get to feature on some Librarians I'm planning, but other than Celestine (metal or plastic) I don't think the blue will get used much.

How long has it been since you painted some rank and file IG? Sounds like you are quite close to having assembled and painted every IG model you currently own though which is fantastic. Then you can implement a one in one out policy which I think is the nirvana of hobbying :P I look forward to seeing Celestine in that blue, that will be a sight :tu:

We'll need to add 10 more Stormtroopers to that list... plus some spiffy new terrain :biggrin.: Just as well too, as the Stormies and Lord Commissar's first battle involved a "logistical problem" so our already meagre terrain set up missing we had to go old school :laugh.:

1000pts vs DA

Battle of the boxes, tubs, and whatever else we could find. To the death.

Set up is rather basic so we do what we can. I have little cover to use, but neither does my opponent and with the number advantage I have I'm not the one too worried!

gallery_30308_10077_8167.jpg

I fail to get first turn and the DA start with some advancing to support the arriving Deathwing, and their shooting wipes out an Infantry Squad and the Command Squad :sad.: The Librarian fails to reduce the Leman Russ's stats fortunately and the Scouts on my right flank reduce a squad but it sticks in the fight.

Now it's time for the Emperor's Hammer to strike back; with the reduced table space I've got to make this turn's shooting count so the Hellhounds surge up to intercept the DA's left flank, and the infantry fall back from combat leaving the final move for the arrival of the Stormies to go psyker hunting:

gallery_30308_10077_60547.jpg

So they do, with a little help from a Command Point reroll - the Librarian is no more! Neither are the Termies as I throw pretty much all of my shooting at them. The Scouts are down to a last model and the Vindicator loses some wounds so all in all a good turn.

gallery_30308_10077_46038.jpg

The DA move up some more but their shooting struggles, the Hellhounds suffering only light damage but the squad in front of of Lord Commissar WarriorFish is wiped out. The lone Scout takes a fair bit of overwatch on the way in against the same Infantry Squad, surviving all against the odds only to fail in his strikes and be cut down by the Sergeant... so are the whims of the dice gods!

Naturally all this doesn't deter His Guard, and I continue my advance on the enemy. The Hellhounds unleash torrents of dice and charge in, to keep plasma and exitus guns away from my lines. The Lord Commissar moves up to assault the enemy, but sadly they are wiped out by gunfire before he gets chance.

gallery_30308_10077_65534.jpg

With greatly reduced forces and getting stuck in combat the DA are unable to turn the tide, and are pushed back until my opponent concedes.

A bit of a rushed game, but evenings with limited space does that. We have plans to sort the terrain and table out but that needs time. Up next, a "proper" batrep :thumbsup:

1500pts vs GK

Dominate and Destroy

Get a VP for holding an objective at the end of your turn, and one for destroying an enemy unit.

144th

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [1500pts] ++

Regimental Doctrine: Cadian

+ HQ +

Company Commander [35pts]: Bellowing Voice, Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Knight Commander Pask [1247pts]: Display Tank Orders, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
Command Executioner: Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

Lord Commissar [35pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword, The Emperor's Benediction

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [47pts]
8x Guardsman
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
Sergeant: Laspistol

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [45pts]
8x Guardsman

Militarum Tempestus Scions [94pts]
2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
Scion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
Tempestor: Plasma pistol, Power fist

+ Elites +

Bullgryns [171pts]
Bullgryn: Brute Shield, Bullgryn Maul
Bullgryn: Grenadier Gauntlet, Slabshield
Bullgryn: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield
Bullgryn Bone 'ead: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Nork Deddog [80pts]: Ripper Gun

Ratlings [45pts]
5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [101pts]
Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

Hellhounds [101pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [182pts]
Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Storm Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [182pts]

Grey Knights

Hidden Content
GMNDK

Librarian

- Fury of Deimos

10x PAGK

10x PAGK

Razorback

- TLLC

Dreadnought

- TLLC

- Twin autocannons

Stormraven

- Twin multimeltas

- TLLC

- Hurricaines

Deployment

There's nothing too fancy about deployment, but there's two crucial points; one is that I intentionally make sure Vortex of Doom can't get Pask, and two is that my opponent has deployed for first turn...

gallery_30308_10077_37723.jpg

Which doesn't turn out so well after I roll a 6 for seize the initiative! A great start to my game at least :tongue.:

Turn 1

With a boon to my game I'm not going to waste it. I advance up a bit but not much as I know the GK reinforcements will soon be upon me. The Hellhounds await their time to pounce and under Orders the rest of my force unleashes the might of the Guard. My rolling is good, but very good with the number of shots from the Russes. The GK wither under so many shots and the Razorback is destroyed. The remaining GK flees the battle leaving my opponent's centre devastated. An excellent first turn much to my opponent's dismay!

gallery_30308_10077_11350.jpg

The Stormies arrive to try and take out the Astral Aim Dread, but the only wound scored is from a lasgun... :sad.:

gallery_30308_10077_21457.jpg

After taking such a battering the GK can't hold back and arrive with everything. The Stormraven goes straight for Pask and the characters arrive on the left flank. This is pretty good for me, as the right Hellhound held back to deny any good landing spots and that Vortex of Doom is far from my valuable tanks.

gallery_30308_10077_64700.jpg

It does hurt the Bullgryns though along with the rest of their firepower, but with only a nearby Guardsmen squad to worry about it's a good result. With the closest Bullgryn dead they also fail their charges even with some re-roll help :wink:

gallery_30308_10077_42948.jpg

Better still is how the Stormraven utterly fails to scratch Pask even after throwing the Hurricanes at him! I issued the Strike and Shroud order to give him -1 to hit and along with the Russ durability everything failed to wound or bounced off the save!

Turn 2

At this stage the only part of my plan going wrong is the Scions:

gallery_30308_10077_23877.jpg

Charged by the Dreadnought the powerfist does little and even without a CCW the 2+ to wound is getting through saves. It's not going to be a major problem though as the rest of my army has a firm upper hand; a wound is placed on the Stormraven letting my negate the -1 to hit with my Cadian stratagem. Pask overcharges everything and delivers a World of hurt to the Stormraven letting remaining firepower finish the job neatly. Even the Ratlings got a Mortal Wound in :tongue.:

Wrapping up is charges against the GK characters. It's hard work for the Bullgryns but the Bone 'ead survives another turn - perfect.

gallery_30308_10077_715.jpg

The Librarian Gates to cap an objective and stay clear of my lines, and the GMNDK has no trouble finishing the Bullgryn off and consolidating into the Hellhound. The Stormies fought on reducing the Dreadnought but two models isn't enough to survive:

gallery_30308_10077_4149.jpg

Turn 4

So far so good, the GK are very much on the back foot. The Dreadnought has struggle to do anything with rolls so while an annoyance isn't something to be worried about. With the Hellhound withdrawing from combat it's open season on the GM. Some shots fly into the building the PAGK occupied to wrack up VPs to finish them off, but it takes a few more than hoped so I have less for the GM.

Fortunately he was reduced by the heroic Bullgryn charge, and with a little help from Perils of the Warp more so but in the end a humble grenade launcher finishes him off. Pask sends overcharged plasma into the Librarian and sees him off easily. My opponent has only the Dreadnought left - but he's hiding.

Nothing that can't be changed though! 144th forces move up at speed with Order help, eventually cornering and charging the Dreadnought. With my forces capping more objectives, and Pask just around the corner (pictured below) my opponent knows it's all over and concedes.

gallery_30308_10077_24170.jpg

It was a pretty odd game in some ways, some strange rolling going on. My opponent seemed to keep finding 1s and my random shots appeared to be nothing of the sort - I'd keep getting my Russes firing 10 or 11 shots per turn! Against rolling like that (both for an against) there's little you can do. In some cases the heavy fire power I was directing was almost pointless as those 1s would have done the job regardless!

As much as that helps of course (the dice gods being such as they are) I think it was nicking first turn that really set the game for me. My opponent made a conscious gamble and it didn't pay off; maybe a lesson for us all? Though with all those 1s it might not have mattered...

Perhaps the biggest indicator is the Ratlings. Not only did they survive the game they inflicted four wounds, two being Mortal Wounds. A new record? I also took a plasma Pask for the first time out of curiosity, it was pretty nice (opponents may disagree) and looks great. Might be a bit too nice for regular use though :laugh.:

Here's the first batrep; the 144th's first visit to Warhammer World and their first game against Chaos even.

1000pts vs Alpha Legion

To the death!

144th

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [58 PL, 997pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Bellowing Voice, Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 35pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword, The Emperor's Benediction

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 53pts]
6x Guardsman
Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

6x Guardsman

6x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 59pts]
6x Guardsman
Heavy Weapon Team: Autocannon

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 90pts]
Tempestor: Plasma pistol, Power sword

+ Elites +

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 20pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [6 PL, 101pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]
Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 182pts]

Alpha Legion

Hidden Content
Chaos Lord

- BP, Alpha Legion stabby relic

Sorcerer in TDA

5x CSM (x3)

- autocannon

30x Cultists

- autoguns

10x Cultists

- autoguns

5x Terminators

- combi-plasmas

Helbrute

- TLLC

- scourge

With some of my opponent's forces in reserve (and a cultist squad sneaking in) deployment is pretty straight forward. I try to keep my forces together while generating a reasonable footprint and my opponent castles in the corner to make the most of the -1 to hit.

The Emperor is with me though as I steal the initiative! Unfortunately I'm a bit far away but there's not much between us so moving my infantry forwards would only be into guns. I elect to mostly hold my ground and await the reserves, Hellhounds and a central squad with Platoon Commander support move up.

The left Hellhound pops smoke, and the right helps unleash some pain on the 30 man squad of Cultists but we're not able to wipe them out. HWTs with Order support plink off a couple of CSM but crucially the Leman Russ tanks manage to destroy the Helbrute! It's a lucky lascannon that seals the deal, rolling that six to hit after moving. First blood to the Guard and perhaps more important the removal of a potent threat to my armoured dominance.

gallery_30308_10077_62447.jpg

My opponent wastes no time in deploying all his units rather than sit before my guns. The large Cultist squad is replaced, moving on almost to where they initially deployed and the Terminators and Sorcerer arrive near the centre. They have no trouble taking out the forward Infantry Squad, but the same can not be said for the rest of the AL as the -1 to hit the Hellhound helps it survive the shooting unscathed!

Having also lost the Mortars I was still in a good position, numbers always being the Guard's friend, plus these were my more exposed units so the rest would not be so easily reached. The Platoon Command scurries back to friendly lines and my Hellhounds move to counter nearby CSM. Last but not least the Stormies chute in to try and assassinate the Sorcerer.

Sadly that doesn't go very well, but at least I manage to wound him pretty well. The Terminators fare worse as torrents of fire (and mostly flames) fall on them. A few unlucky 1s help reduce the squad to a single Veteran. My Russes struggle here, but still manage to do a bit of damage. A few more CSM fall to flames, and the Hellhound charges in to tie up a squad. So far looking good!

gallery_30308_10077_13238.jpg

My opponent is in a bit of a pickle now as the Hellhounds are doing their job of keeping his forces back, and being capable threats in their own right. His units are also far away such that even with the -1 to hit I can probably afford to trade shots and come out on top. There's no time to hang around though, so both Cultists advance up to attack. Falling back from combat the foremost CSM squad lets their allies shoot the Hellhound, but it hangs on thanks to some luck and poor rolls.

The Terminators move up, and intending to tie up my Hellhound the (very) brave Cultists charge... two survive to trade a single wound each with the Hellhound!

gallery_30308_10077_52450.jpg

I move up some of my forces to intercept, the Stormies hot on their target's heels. Hotshot and melta have no trouble finishing what they started the turn before, and lasguns take out the remaining Termie. With the right Hellhound cooking some more Cultists the writing is on the wall and my opponent concedes.

gallery_30308_10077_16896.jpg

Was a blast taking the 144th to WHW, quite different facing a Chaos army for a change. Not to mention that -1 to hit being pretty nasty - good job that lascannon gunner was on point! Hellhounds once again proving their worth in every point with how they can move around helping control and push back enemy units.

I wandered away from Russes too, so good to be back with them again recently as they give you some solid shooting on a durable chassis. Especially as I seem to roll so well for random shots :wink: Next batrep will be up later today :smile.:

Second game with my Guard against the Black Legion and Abaddon himself:

1500pts vs Black Legion

Capturing the objectives

144th

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [88 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Bellowing Voice, Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Knight Commander Pask [13 PL, 247pts]: Display Tank Orders, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
Command Executioner: Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 35pts]: Bolt pistol, Power sword, The Emperor's Benediction

+ Troops +

6x Guardsman

6x Guardsman

6x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 59pts]
6x Guardsman
Heavy Weapon Team: Autocannon

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 94pts]
Tempestor: Plasma pistol, Power fist

+ Elites +

Bullgryns [13 PL, 171pts]
Bullgryn: Brute Shield, Bullgryn Maul
Bullgryn: Grenadier Gauntlet, Slabshield
Bullgryn: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield
Bullgryn Bone 'ead: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Ministorum Priest [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 21pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Ratlings [2 PL, 45pts]
5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]

Black Legion

Hidden Content
Abaddon

TDA Sorcerer

5x CSM

- Plasma

10x Cultists

Helbrute

- Reaper

- Missile launcher

Terminators

Lots x Pink Horrors

Deployment

With some units in reserve there's not much for the BL to put down. The CSM seek cover in the ruins and the Cultists behind another, both sitting on objectives. I spread out somewhat on my deployment (we're using the vanguard style deployment) but keep the tanks back to avoid charges.

gallery_30308_10077_48271.jpg

There's not much to do to start with, the Helbrute moves up to cover and fires, not doing too much damage even with Fire Frenzy. The Sorcerer moves up and tries to Warp Time only to blow up on snake eyes (even with a Command Point re-roll), and rolls for three Mortal Wounds... a great first turn for me and I've not even done anything :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10077_70072.jpg

That said, not a great deal I can do either to begin with. Some of my units are too far away to do anything, and I don't want to create weaknesses to exploit. The surviving Mortar scuttles down the ruins to safety and my centre infantry move up a bit. The Russes squeak forwards a bit and knock out that Helbrute but that's about it.

gallery_30308_10077_79675.jpg

So far the first couple of turns aren't that exciting, as we're in a sort of stalemate. I don't want to give the deep striking hordes any angles, but neither does my opponent want to commit to a poor situation. However with the deployment limit the advantage is mine as I can wait it out. So it proves as turn three rolls around and my opponent brings in his reserves. It's a conservative move somewhat, but gives me little line of sight.

gallery_30308_10077_18311.jpg

I do what I can to thin the horde but that's not much I can do. A couple of Horrors peeked out a bit too far, and a few Terminators fall to concentrated fire power but ultimately the positioning meant that the majority of my guns could do nothing. It did mean it was time to send in my Scions, so I planned tactically and sent them in on a kill mission to clear and claim the ruin objective.

They do well (I wish their meltas were so reliable when shooting tanks and characters...), aided with a bit of mortar support. My opponent Tide of Traitors them to his board edge to move on to claim that objective, so it was really just trading objectives. The Horrors move up into the central fortification and the Terminators advance. Unfortunately the Terminators fail their charge against the Hellhound, having killed some Guardsmen from the closest squad letting me ensure they couldn't charge them.

Now I can shoot properly it proves effective, fire is poured in and the Bullgryns prepare to charge - but it isn't required. The Terminators are wiped out, as are the Horrors, but only just! The Scions and Infantry Squad will move up to cap objectives and try and get a bead on the Cultists.

gallery_30308_10077_42923.jpg

At this point things are looking grim for the Black Legion. Abaddon destroys the left Hellhound only to be badly burned by the explosion. He's tough and other fire directed against him struggles to achieve much.

gallery_30308_10077_5069.jpg

I have the Bullgryns ready to charge but again it's not required as - of all things - a Ratling shaves off the final wound! Guess they do something every so often... eventually :laugh.: The day is the Guard's as my opponent's Cultists don't have any hope of victory.

gallery_30308_10077_25157.jpg

Another good game, required a bit of careful manoeuvring but it paid off as my opponent was put into a bad position that I could exploit. The Scions are doing pretty well for themselves, but their ability to drop in unannounced is what really shines. They've worked as I thought (though I have hoped for better rolls...) which is great, so I'm looking forward to the more reliable results from more squads :smile.:

Russes continue to be fearsome weapons in the Guard's arsenal, so I will remember to use them more often. The Hellhounds continue to guarantee their place in lists too, maybe it's finally time to get all four on the table together...