ETL IV is coming...

Not long to go until the starting pistol goes off! Has everyone thought about their first vow?

Yes, I'm going to vow a CCS, but it will take a week or two to get started due to paint shortage.

I reckon there will be some super vow limit this year. Maybe uncompleted vows are taken off the total completed?

It's almost certain that the will be a limit of the mega vows this year. I know Captain Semper is well aware of the dominance of mega vows last year, although I don't know what action he's taking to curb them. I'd expect something simple like only the first 1000pts of a vow count towards the faction total. That way there's still plenty of stuff for people to paint (5000pts in 3 months is still a massive chunk painted) while it gives the rest of the forums something to do other than just cheer on the few who make mega vows. Because of the secondary awards, Forum Champion etc, there's still reasons for people to do mega vows, it just prevents them from dominating the main competition and ruining it for people who have neither the time nor money to paint up thousands of points worth of models in a few months. Controlling the mega vows contribution towards a forum's total not only makes each individual members efforts more important, but it also makes the community effort vital to success. If you can't rely on a few people to speed paint a breathtaking amount of models, then victory will go to the forum that works together the best and keeps their motivation throughout the entire event, which to me sounds way more fun :).

Or possibly the forum with the most Commissars.

Last year was ridiculous with Chaos and Codex Astartes having a battle between a few members members for who did the most 10k vows. Low and behold, Chaos won due to those multiple 10k vows. Take away those massive vows (or limit them to 5k total) and it would have been a lot closer, with 5 or 6 factions, including Chaos, competing for top spot. Chaos might well still have won, they were strong without those massive vows, but it would have been a "maybe" rather than a "certain". The last few weeks would have been really exciting, with multiple factions pushing to get as many people to complete vows as possible. Instead we had a last few weeks of knowing who had won because Chaos had two people who between them had completed over 30k (I think) worth of models. No other faction could even come close (I worked it out with about three weeks to go, the closest faction to Chaos needed close to 100% completion rate and Chaos needed to to complete no vows within those three weeks for a different faction to over-take Chaos), so it had a negative effect on the end of the event. I know I lost any enthusiasm in the last month and just got my vows done and forgot about it. I'd guess others felt the same.

There is indeed, no vow may exceed 3,000pts so a maximum of 15,000pts (5 vows allowed). The rules are now up for perusal should you need more information. There's also penalties for incompletion:

EXAMPLE:

Faction A has a total of 82,000 points pledged but completed only 63,000 points (completion rate: 77%). The modified total points will be 63,000 x 77% = 48,402

Faction B has pledged a total of 65,000 points and completed 58,000 points (completion rate: 89%). The modified total points will be 58,000 x 89% = 51,754

In this particular example Faction B will win over Faction A despite having fewer completed points on a nominal basis because it showed higher level of commitment thus getting ahead on a modified basis!

To put it simply, this year high Completion Rates are a significant element in determining the ETL Champions - not to be ignored by even the traditional ETL super-powers! As such the faction with the most completed modified points (as per relevant Codex or army list) at the end of the event will become Primus Inter Pares i.e. the ETL Champion!

So comrades, we have even more reason to claim that 100%! Let us go forward to battle with our allies, by our devotion they will learn to fear us!

That should always be the case! :lol: I really like the new additions to the rules, mega vows are reduced and the focus is on completing - this could be our chance to shine along with our comrades in arms so let's give it all we've got! biggrin.png

The Ratlings should be a quicker vow so I will be getting to the Shadowsword soon enough - those in the super heavy arms race can't afford to rest easy as I'll be catching up soon enough! msn-wink.gif

Hmmm ... I need to work out what I can paint up this year.

Lol ... I've not got anywhere near 15k of guard so no risk of hitting the maximum.

Do we have a ruling on including assassin's?

Ah, mostly as I thought it would be. Well, the first wave has been assembled and I'm waiting with baited breath and pointed brush to get started!

Looking forward to doing my part for the greater whole. Got a lot of models set aside, 3K points before I have to go into Platoons, but I'm not expecting to get that far.

Checked the main section and they're listed under the inquisition. They're not stripped so would only add extra prep.

I need to get the rest of my prep done tonight.

Archived