++Blood for the Blood God: Daemonkin community++

Venomlust, you do yourself and everyone here a major disservice by not painting your awesome conversions!

If I lived anywhere remotely near you, I would drive by, steal your conversions and paint them before returning them and using their blades to slice open your jugular.

Also... Amazing work!

Greetings fellow maniacs.  Would either the Crimson Slaughter Expansion box or the Chaos Attack Force be a valuable start to a Daemonkin army?  My local GW has both in stock and I'm debating picking one up if it's still there in a month or two (the boxes have been there for a while, so chances are good).

For a reminder, the CSM Attack Force is around $225 and has the following:

• 1 Chaos Terminator Lord
  • 5 Chaos Terminators
  • 10 Chaos Marines
  • 1 Chaos Rhino
  • 5 Chaos Raptors/Warp Talons
  • 1 Maulerfiend/Forgefiend

The Crimson Slaughter Expansion is $135 and contains:

• 1 Chaos Land Raider
  • 5 Chaos Terminators
  • 5 Raptors/Warp Talons
  • 5 Cultists

Now, I like Terminators (viability be damned) so the box with the Land Raider is tempting.  But I also really like the Maulerfiend (and I want to have two eventually) and I need some regular CSMs too (I have a unit of Berserkers already and can Chaos-ify a Rhino I found in a box).  Don't really care about the Lord (I plan to convert my own anyways), and Raptors I like.  Or I could buy things piecemeal since I plan to do some conversion work with AOS Bloodbound miniatures/bitz anyways.  The cultists in the second box are laughable, but I could pick up the box with the Champion + Cultists and/or buy the DV sprues for cheap on eBay and have two big blobs of 16 perhaps.

So briefly are either of those boxes worth buying for the savings/contents, or better to buy things as I go?

I think the attack force would be better as

A. The maulerfiend is quite nifty to have in a KDK army

B. The land raider doesn't do much

C. Termies can just deepstrike

D. You need 8 cultists Mimimum to make a squad

E. Rhinos are awesome in KDK

A good start would be the Khorne starter set and the chaos champ and cultist box.

Then you have all troops and HQ you would need.

Then some possessed

Khorne starter set being the Daemon one?  I was considering that slightly later (I like the Marines more, always have) and maybe getting two so I would have two units of Bloodletters, a unit of Bloodcrushers and could use the sixth Bloodcrusher to convert a Juggerlord.

If you want to go the Marine route I would avoid those boxsets. It may be helpful to just buy the units you want instead of boxsets that contain models you don't need or wont use. The CSM attack force does have some nice models but the only ones you really should be using out of it are the marines the mauler and the rhino.

I'd get one box of marines, one box of bloodletters, enough bikes and hounds to make a gorepack, and an extra biker (or Juggernaut if that's your cup of tea), and a box of possessed. That'll give you enough for a slaughtercult and an auxiliary for a complete bloodhost.

Bloodcrushers are meh in the official rules. Too fragile.

Still, a lot of people through zerkers on them and call them counts as bikers.

Interesting.  And I have no idea what the Throne/SKull Cannon is (don't even think KDK can take the Skull Cannon).  So looks like I'll skip the Start Collecting box too.  My idea for bikers was to get the Juggernauts umm... faceplate things on eBay and put them onto Chaos Bikes (no idea if they fit I Just saw them and it popped into my head).

Interesting.  And I have no idea what the Throne/SKull Cannon is (don't even think KDK can take the Skull Cannon).  So looks like I'll skip the Start Collecting box too.  My idea for bikers was to get the Juggernauts umm... faceplate things on eBay and put them onto Chaos Bikes (no idea if they fit I Just saw them and it popped into my head).

KDK can take the Skull Cannon, it's actually a pretty good investment for what it does, IMHO.

The throne is a chariot a Herald of Khorne can ride around on. It's part of the same kit as the Skull Cannon, both of which KDK have access to.

I think I've seen Juggernaut heads/plates on bikes to good effect.

The "Start Collecting" box is decent enough, as long as you actually want to run those units. Bloodletters aren't terrible, aren't great. The cannon is by far the better choice, and I think using the bloodcrushers without their riders as spawn work great. You could also use 1 or 2 of them as Heralds on juggernauts.

Not the worst boxed set out there, and I'd say they all have a place in a KDK army.

I use the blood crushers for summoning, they are expensive at 160 points but a much better value summon than 100 points of blood letters.

I then use the skull cannon as a last turn summon to get a extra shoot because anything else you summon on turn 5 is useless

KDK can take the Skull Cannon, it's actually a pretty good investment for what it does, IMHO.

Maybe so.. but it is a horrid ugly model and I can't see myself ever getting one. The wonky design of the mouth drives me crazy. 

I played against a guy that had a skull cannon and a blood throne, I didn't think either one of them was that impressive on the table top. 

I'll relink to these (2nd to 4th image)

EDIT: can't link properly for some reason.  Click on the Bloodgorged image in my sig and I have some juggernaut bike hybrids (rather than the juggernaut bike counts as).

Back on the subject of AoS Khorne to CSM size comparisons. The full body shots are nice and useful, but it makes it hard to do a bit-by-bit comparison. Specifically I'm interested in the heads. Are these helmets too big for regular power armor bodies?

I hope not as I was planning on using those myself. My idea was to use those for the heads on my Berserkers, and then some more generic type of helmet on my regular guys

Sometimes you'll need to extend the necks on the AoS Khorne dudes to make them look right nestled in power armor. Can just add a little piece of plastic beneath them, or cut off the tubed neck portion of a 40k marine head and glue it to the bottom.

Haha :cuss, you're not wrong. As many excuses as I make, I can't do a whole lot in the next few weeks. Finals coming up, I don't expect to get much done. Working on my knight 30 minutes here and there.

So forge/maulerfiend modeling question for you guys. Does the maulerfiend need to be built as a maulerfiend to be used as such? Or can I build a forgefiend and play it as a counts as mauler? The forgefiend just looks so much more intimidating/cooler than the mauler does. 

It would take a real stickler to care. The dimensions are the same, and the mauler isn't shooting so barrels and LOS don't matter. I'd say go for it. Perhaps some WYSIWYG tournaments wouldn't let you do it, but they're big silly stupid heads.

It would take a real stickler to care. The dimensions are the same, and the mauler isn't shooting so barrels and LOS don't matter. I'd say go for it. Perhaps some WYSIWYG tournaments wouldn't let you do it, but they're big silly stupid heads.

I see. That's good then, maybe I'll get creative with it. I even thought about saying the Ectoplasma cannons are magna cutters if anyone had an issue. I highly doubt I'd take KDK to a WYSIWYG tournament anyway. 

Some more work on the knight:

http://i.imgur.com/aQSwn6mh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8IWKXdVh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nIKE5gEh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6r96lcvh.jpg

I don't want too many more actually popping out of the top areas. Maybe parts of one on the other shoulder pad, some more skulls here and there, and some bloodletter faces.

I use the blood crushers for summoning, they are expensive at 160 points but a much better value summon than 100 points of blood letters.

I then use the skull cannon as a last turn summon to get a extra shoot because anything else you summon on turn 5 is useless

the box is great for summoning in one hit, the cannon can be a very handy summon on any turn really, yes crushers are naff but they hit very hard if they get a charge off, given their speed you can summon them away from the action and they can do some good next turn

a herald on a jugger is pretty mean on raw stats alone, at least 5 S6 attacks on the charge, T5 so can eat a krak if needs must, I made mine from the blood throne kit and normal crusher

I have a soft spot for the crusher models anyway.. they are good in AOS so that was enough of an excuse to get 12

Archived