[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

I think I love the reaping a bit too much. I general use it in all our bigger games as it allows me to get the extra heavy squads in as I'm always running out of heavy slots lol. At least quad launcher's are elite

I think I love the reaping a bit too much. I general use it in all our bigger games as it allows me to get the extra heavy squads in as I'm always running out of heavy slots lol. At least quad launcher's are elite

In ZM I will run pride tho as deathshroud are amazing in it!!

Yeah that is pretty much it.

3K is just about the tipping point where the reaping starts to shine as you can fill up your heavy slots and troops with decent amounts of firepower, plus bring Quads etc. More power than anyone else!

Hey guys, I'm looking to get started with Death Guard. What are your recommendations on must-have units to get started? My current plans are to grab the MK III marines and terminators from the Prospero box, and pick up some more stuff in the near future. 

Where should I go in terms of outfitting a standard Praetor? I was thinking of also taking a Master of Signals to stick with one of the Heavy Support Squads.

I know Vet squads in Rhinos are standard. I also really like the idea of running an Assault Squad with our "The Reaping" Rite of War. 

10 man heavy squad with volkite are awesome, I know this because I currently run Mechanicum with Myrmidon Destructors and volkite culverins are a staple of that army.

I know I want at least one squad of Deathshroud terminators. Those guys are too cool. 

For a praetor there are 2 popular choices, the paragon blade or scythe. If you can fins 5 more scythes you can probably turn the 5 tart termies in the Prospero box to another 5 death shroud if you share some shoulder pads, could have them be the death shroud that fought on istvaan 5 and had field repaired armour.

As for other must haves leviathans if you magnetize weapons are just a fat Swiss army can that can do a lot. A tank squadron is also good, can pick predators, vindicators, Medusas (also opens up phosphex shells). Lastly quad launchers for even more phosphex.

Grave wardens are also a good choice, their toxin rounds and toxin flamer and the option to upgrade any with a chainfist will put the fear of Mortarion in about anything.

The reaping also allows allies so if you have any holes, can plug them with you afore mentioned mechanicum.

For a praetor there are 2 popular choices, the paragon blade or scythe. If you can fins 5 more scythes you can probably turn the 5 tart termies in the Prospero box to another 5 death shroud if you share some shoulder pads, could have them be the death shroud that fought on istvaan 5 and had field repaired armour.

As for other must haves leviathans if you magnetize weapons are just a fat Swiss army can that can do a lot. A tank squadron is also good, can pick predators, vindicators, Medusas (also opens up phosphex shells). Lastly quad launchers for even more phosphex.

Grave wardens are also a good choice, their toxin rounds and toxin flamer and the option to upgrade any with a chainfist will put the fear of Mortarion in about anything.

The reaping also allows allies so if you have any holes, can plug them with you afore mentioned mechanicum.

Awesome thanks, almost forgot about Leviathans but now that's tempting now that I have an excuse... big robots are always a good thing. Any recommendations on loadouts? Are they useless fire magnets if I only take 1 and walk it up the table? Or can they hold out against a turn of shooting? I know my Thanatar hasn't been killed a single time yet, but most of the time I'm fighting against armies that are unable to flank me or get into my backfield. 

That's another question I think I should pose, are outflanking vet squads worth the opportunity cost to get units in the opponents deployment zone? I like having a deep striking unit of Thallax with a Multi-melta and the tank hunter upgrade so that my opponents have something disturbing the backfield, but with The Reaping disallowing deep strike it seems outflank is the only want to get anything there. Is it that tactic even worth pursuing with DG? 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

Leviathan load out for me in the pod is cyclonic melta gun for armour, and the snippy claw for troops, or double cc, snippy and chainfist thing and he is a nightmare that must be taken care of. For range I am not sure, the assault cannon and a grav bombard might be fun. Just remember magnets are great.

Outflanking is good, being able to peel a part of the enemy from your main army is good. It all depends what you are playing against. I think the reaping still let's allies deep strike to your thallax are still an option. I tried a unit of Thallax with an arch Magos all deep striking, it caused some stress to opponents.

So on a whim a while back I bought some dudes with missile launchers for my DG, mainly because they were all resin, mk III and had the DG helms on so looked awesome.

But I just really cannot seem to justify missile launchers in lists... Even with Poison 4+ from Mortarion.

What do you guys think, so missile have a place?

I usually run a siege breaker, so could attach him for tank hunter? Lascannons are obviously better but a fair whack more expensive (plus I don't have the models...)

Flakk is a great shout actually, especially with tank hunter. Add in interceptor and that will really deter some pods/ claws - more so than the Twin Kheres Mortis I was considering, and more resilient behind an Aegis with a medic.... :biggrin.:

They'd be functionally identical to Shatter Shell Quads and people rave about those :P

Edited by Charlo

Flakk doesn't sound all that detering for pods, it's just s7, ap4 shots, not very scary for anything the pod is carrying, and if it's a dreadclaw pod I'd say the chances of it surviving due to jink are pretty decent. Plus the cost of a missile squad with flakk plus a siege breaker for tank hunter is tad pricey. I'd rather just take autocannons. Anti air is better left to deredeo or mortis dreds. 

Well... I did forget they are S7 :P

But S7 Tank Hunter is pretty cool, against most jets/ flyers anyway.

Kheres Mortis are fine, but you're still fishing for 6's (which will admittedly be Pens).

I wouldn't cost the Siege Breaker into it as he's needed to use Phosphex mortars anyway - he's just icing on the cake.

Plus I own ML models not Auto cannons :P

Anything inside a pod will be handled by the interceptor plasma cannons xD

You don't need to pen a flier to kill it, most of them are just av11 which a mortis dread will have no problem taking out. Plus there's also the deredeo which is even better with s8 and sunder. Just don't feel the flakk missiles are all that worth it when you have those two better anti flier choices. 

I'm trying to justify the models I have though ;)

Deredeo is freakin' awesome - but I have one for my BA and don't want to double up for the Death Guard.

Mortis is a possibility I'll keep though, maybe I'll just pop both in the list - really cover the skies - add a quad gun to the aegis too.

meta has changed; when heresy came out max size missile squads with apothecaries were a thing.

in essence, warhammer is game of rock paper scissors lizard spock, and arming yourself with a spork (missile launcher) may leave you wanting

Edited by disease

Then take them. You have the models. They are a flexible unit. Pods will be able to hit with krak. If a fireraptor comes in you only need 4 hps. Ten missiles with tank hunter should just do it......

Just don't expect the world from them.

My current list has a Siege Breaker attaching himself to a HSS with lascannons but I know they'll be the first ones to catch a Typhon shell to the face. I've found for the same cost I can swap them to missile launchers and with the points spare get a bunker with an ammo dump to stick them in. They'd be used the same way, although they'd be more focused on knocking HP off tanks instead of fishing for explodes results.

Hey guys, with the current prospero set coming out and with battlefields 1 out I'm thinking of doing something ww1 style forces and I'm thinking that death guard will fit well. How would a pride of the legion list work out? I'm thinking lots of terminators like deathshroud in land raiders supported by veterans with sniper heavy flamers. Failing that how well does the repair work for 2500 point games?

My 10 man missile launcher unit always has my siege breaker attached to it for tank hunter. I almost always buy the flak missiles and they become a huge pain, and strip hull points on just about everything.