[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

You can put a commander in a chem malcador, however he doesn't give the tank that much of a benefit considering bs4 doesn't matter for the main gun.

You're not doing it for the BS4, you're doing it for the preferred enemy (infantry) on a poison 2+, AP2 inferno cannon.

Yeah, the tank commander has a short laundry list of skills you get to pick from; tank hunter, PE infantry, scout/outflank, it will not die...

Most folks go with PE or tank hunters. Kinda want to try an ambush Malc just once for the giggs though.

"Hey Sarge, what's that in the bushes?" *SUDDENLY CHEMWOLF*

Yeah, the tank commander has a short laundry list of skills you get to pick from; tank hunter, PE infantry, scout/outflank, it will not die...

Most folks go with PE or tank hunters. Kinda want to try an ambush Malc just once for the giggs though.

Do you really need to outflank with a Torrent Hellstorm Template? :P

Do you really need to outflank with a Torrent Hellstorm Template? :tongue.:

absolutely, the psychological game is often more fun than the actual result.  :P

Oh definitely.

I have yet to use it in a game and have it survive. It does good damage, especially with that handy Thunderblitz in the movement phase. But no where near as good as the response you get from describing its weapon to your opponent.

It's a pretty fab way to run a "Super Heavy" with Mortarion in the list too.

So, slightly off topic but considering to use the Chem-cador you need a squad of SA doodz - whats a good loudout for them?

Also in battlescribe they have the option for an Aegis wall... Is this a thing? You can pay the points to give them a personal one?

So I just got my two Red Books yesterday, so time to plan out Death Guard list :biggrin.: also so I can start planning a shopping list.

I'm thinking something like this as a rough start:

Death Guard (Traitor)

RoW: The Reaping

++PRIMARY DETACHMENT++

+HQ+

Calas Typhon - 200 points

Deathshroud Terminator Bodyguard (4) - 170 points

-Land Raider Phobos - 250 points

Siege Breaker (Legion Centurion) - 150

- Artificer Armour; Thunder Hammer; 2 Phosphex Bombs

+ELITES+

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (3) - 240 points

-Quad Mortars; Phosphex Cannister Shot

Apothecarion Detachment (2) - 100 points

-Augury scanner

+TROOPS+

Legion Tactical Squad (20) - 330 points

-Add CCWs; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox

-Sergeant: Artificer Armour; Rad Grenades

-Attached Apothecary

Legion Tactical Squad (20) - 330 points

-Add CCWs; Legion Vexilla; Nuncio-Vox

-Attached Apothecary

Legion Tactical Support Squad (10) - 195 points

-Flamers (Chem)

+FAST ATTACK+

NONE

+HEAVY SUPPORT+

Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (3) - 390 points

-3x Laser Destroyer Array

Unless I miscalculated and/or missed a rule somewhere (entirely possible :tongue.:) that should be 2,355 points so I have a bit more that I'm not sure what to add. I'm going for mostly fluffy because I love the idea of big blobs of Space Marines moving across the field. I did consider the Creeping Death rite of war instead since it sounds really cool but I know basically nothing about 30k, so no idea how this plays or not (But I think it would look really cool). Maybe get a Rhino for the Support squad, or break them into two 5-man squads (one for each blob)? Really not sure.

Edited by Wayniac

Welcome to the Indomitable XIVth!

Your complementary cup of BarbaranTM brand Phosphex will be provided shortly.

Now onto the list... It's a nice start for sure, but if you look at what the Reaping provides for you compared to what you are using, it's technically nothing but MTC for your blobs and slowing down your Assault Transport. But Rad grenades I hear your cry! Which are great, but really the only squad that is benefitting from them otherwise are Tacs - Typhon has them normally. You have no vets or Heavy Squads as troops either, your heavy support slots aren't even full!

Other than the Vindicators, you'll also suffer from lack of Anti Tank, plus you have a flamer squad without transport - effectively making it nothing.

So what would I do? Change to the Creeping Death like you said. That cover save combined with Apoths will help those tacs last longer for sure.

Get some Missiles or something in a heavy squad for the Siege Breaker to buff up with his powers. I'd also take out one phosphex bomb.

The Flamer squad is awkward - with Tac Bolters and Phosphex Quads you will have no issue with infantry, I'd actually remove them for something else if you can. I too wanted to field such a squad but really, Grave Warden Terminators are just a super version of the squad and so much better.

Great advice, thanks Brother :)

At work so I have to wait to revise the list, but would Grave Wardens then be a better choice in this list, or put them off to the side since they would still do more infantry killing; if I did take them, would they need a Land Raider as well?  Besides coming up with a list I'm also planning what to buy next (read: Just how much money it will cost :p).

Yeah a transport would be great for them for sure, even a Dreadclaw if you are going to take Creeping Death as you won't be restricted by Deep Strike etc.

Another option is a Land Raider Proteus. It's cheap and really you want to bait people into charging at your grave wardens. They won't get any bonuses as you force disordered and you get to overwatch with Heavy Flamers per guy. So a free 5D3 hits overall.

Edited by Charlo

If you want a Malcador Infernus, literally all I would suggest is the Malcador itself (upgraded with Las Cannons, etc) with a Tank commander and a 20 Strong Lasrifle unit as the troops.

They have 36" guns that fire 2 shots so can just hang in cover and pepper the enemy :-)

As an upgrade you could give the squad blast chargers for 25 points so you can pop a transport or light Tank that wonders in too close.

Edited by Ishagu

I've edited my post.

The Volkites imo, really not worth it as you'll need a transport and suddenly this allied detachment is costing quite a chunk.

The troops are just a tax for the Infernus, and in truth having a backfield, objective secured unit that is firing 40 shots at 36" range isn't so bad.

Edited by Ishagu

With void hardened armor, Veletaris behind an aegis or in ruins are more or less immune to the majority of templates, including medusas, democannons and the like, which is nice and makes them scary resilient when objective sitting.

The las-platoons don't get that, but they do have longer ranged weapons and are double the number for approximately the same cost.

With void hardened armor, Veletaris behind an aegis or in ruins are more or less immune to the majority of templates, including medusas, democannons and the like, which is nice and makes them scary resilient when objective sitting.

Oh, can you re-roll cover saves with void-hardened against Blast/ template then? Well, 4+ armour too as long as it's not a Heavy Flamer.

The Lasrifle section are double the number, fight in CC at ws4 and overwatch at bs2, not to mention the free nuncio vox and Vexilla.

The blast chargers give you potential 20 Str 6 shots that is ultimately more useful than the Volkite Chargers, should you get a chance to fire. Full squad for 125

Edited by Ishagu

Yup, Solar Aux hardened armor re-rolls *saves* vs templates, not just specifically armor like the Astartes version.

It makes Legate Commanders hilariously invulnerable to even things like Hellstorm or Stormsword cannons with a possible eternal warrior and re-rollable 3++.

Edited by Flint13