[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

BTW, FW confirmed (via FB, so take that as you will) that Deathshroud can take any pattern Terminator armour and use it's rules as long as the models are properly representing said choice.

Source? I was campaigning for the a while back... Any proof would be lovely. I want my Cataphractii with Scythes!

Hmph... thought I posted it here. I know I did in the Games Day thread over in the main AoD board. Anyways, here you are...

"Hi Mick,

If you use the normal Deathshroud models then they will use the Tartaros rules but if you create your own with other Terminator armour then you can use the other rules.

Thanks,

Tris@FW"

Giving this thread the official Pater Nurglus seal of approval.

Now then. Help an old Death Guard veteran out. I just decided to get into 30k and am working up some small army lists and trying to decide what is worth taking and what isn't. Trying to not break the FW bank and all that. Condense some of these 33 pages into what are the "Core: You Should Take This" and "Nope: Never Ever Take This" can you?

Spartans? Full of Terminators? 20x Tactical Squads? Support squads armed with...? Etc.

I will always push Terminators running in Spartans or full 20 man squads as that's how I see the Legion, but some will disagree. I'd say take a gander at the fluff in Book 1, peruse this thread and figure out what works for you.

Walking up the battle field in full squads while we rain phosphex and chem flame death!!!

Medusas, phosphex quad mortars, veterans with flamers and outflank, 15/20 man tact squads and loads of terms and dreads. That's my taste

Edited by Slipstreams

The information on the DG in book on is just inspirational. Basically they just advance no matter what and use their normal equipment as best they can. Each DG marine is a one man army, expected to carry out any task given to him.

Mortarion also favours mass Terminator attack.

They can also play the siege game, but lost a lot of their ground resources in the Heresy due to artillery and such being manned a lot by Terrans who were purged. Not to say they still won't have more than enough resources being a Legion in favour of the Warmaster.

I personally prefer the mass Terminator approach myself

I love the idea that they just continue to advance because they're fearless bulwarks, each an individual veteran who can carry the day on his own merit and skill, but the reductionist concept of "we just walk in a straight line, what's a transport?" is bad for the DG 

Isn't the emphasis on the individual Marine as a weapon capable of application in all fields?

I have had a lot of fun with this assortment of the 14th, assembled to be easy on the wallet (used a lot of BaC, and prospero would be even better since that Mk III is so sexy) and also tried to use some non-FW models that were easier to ebay or get from GW for cheaper.

Mortarion

Typhus

5x Deathshroud (FW)

5x Grave Wardens (FW)

2x Land Raiders (Ebay/GW)

3x Vindicators (Ebay/GW)

20 man tac squad (BaC Mk IV)

20 man tac squad (BaC Mk IV)

10 man Heavy bolter squad (BaC bits)

10 man assault squad (FW)

Contemptor (BaC)

I can make about 3k pts and have had a lot of fun with it.  I run the reaping and it's fairly competitive, especially with so much scoring! (the tacs, assault squad, heavy bolters, and deathshroud, and typhus if you run him instead of morty) Run everything forward and let the tacs sit in the back on objectives. Now I wanna roll some dice!

Any thoughts to orbital assault with the 14th?  Use assault marines as the compulsory troop choices.  They can technically start on the board or even doing drop assault vanguard?

I have 30 assault marines I want to dedicate to the 14th.  Looking for the out of the ordinary list.  The question I have is it worth losing rad grenades and move through cover?

Assault Marines get a lot of buffs out of the reaping of you don't want to be limited to everything in a drop pod (quote the opposite, nothing allowed one!)

Otherwise though our unique weapons are all powerful close up so pods are a good idea.

Giving this thread the official Pater Nurglus seal of approval.

Now then. Help an old Death Guard veteran out. I just decided to get into 30k and am working up some small army lists and trying to decide what is worth taking and what isn't. Trying to not break the FW bank and all that. Condense some of these 33 pages into what are the "Core: You Should Take This" and "Nope: Never Ever Take This" can you?

Spartans? Full of Terminators? 20x Tactical Squads? Support squads armed with...? Etc.

Great to see you again Kenshin!

One of the real benefits of Death Guard in the Heresy is that Troop-heavy lists are suitably effective (as well as naturally being thematic!), and with different Rites of War can nicely complement both Tactical Marines and those carrying slightly heavier weaponry too. As others have mentioned, Medusas and Quad Mortars are often a staple part of our armies in the Heresy, and both feature regularly within my lists. I tend to try to run two 20-man Tactical Squads, with Apothecaries, as a core - and then work out from there. I've always chosen to use Mortarion where possible, normally backed with Deathshroud and in a Spartan. There's often lots of healthy competition for Heavy Support options, as indeed with all slots for the Legion lists, so often it may just be choosing units depending on taste or what else you may face locally!

Pretty much always use reaping unless in ZM then mostly pride.

It could work tho I guess. 10 man squad.... Whos the warlord??

I'm the warlord!

No I'm the warlord!?

Hey were all the warlord! Haha

Think you would have to kill the squad to get the vp lol

Speaking of Deathshroud, how valid are they at footslogging? A unit of 10 is 20 wounds, they can run and sweeping advance, and they have a decent enough save, right? So considering how fond we are of chucking men up the board very slowly, would they not seem to have an advantage in that they're still a hell of a lot tougher to kill than other footslogging dudes?

I'm asking because I can't seem to find that balance with DG. Regular Tacs seem pointless in the game of artillery and AV14, Terminators are great for DG except for every 200 points I spend on Terminators, I spend another 200 on transports. Because I'm paying premium for Land Raiders, I'm not able to afford Vets or much else in the way of infantry without sacrificing AT or something like a Kheres Mortis with lots of AI shots.

Been fiddling with lists for ages, but they always feel undermanned if I want Terminators, or underwhelming and underpowered if I go vanilla. 

Edited by CaptainBoxman

Are you talking about their use in the Reaping? Don't think it's such a good idea. 2 wounds, sure, but they only have a 5+ invulnerable save (meaning that the same Medusa style artillery that eviscerates infantry is going to reap them too)  and one of the inherent bonuses of Tartaros armour is that they can run. In the Reaping, you're losing one of their armour's greatest benefits and not compensating for it with a transport. Their kit is also close combat only so they can't fire as they march up the board.

If you're not running the Reaping and don't play against any Artillery, might be worth a try as their resilience will come into play more with 2 wounds and a 2+ save soaking up the majority of fire. I wouldn't personally do it though because people would just take Medusa's/Typhon's etc and simply remove my elite and very slow close combat unit from the board. But consider other modes of deployment too - deep striking them in a Dreadclaw/Kharybdis or outflanking them perhaps.

What's the last list you ran/how many points you usually play at?

Edited by Marshal Loss

Fluffy to walk them yes. In reality that seems like a bad idea if running reaping as no run move.attach a vigialtor for outflank could work.if not id only run them in a Spartan outside zm Edited by LtDan

Are you talking about their use in the Reaping? Don't think it's such a good idea. 2 wounds, sure, but they only have a 5+ invulnerable save (meaning that the same Medusa style artillery that eviscerates  and one of the inherent bonuses of Tartaros armour is that they can run. In the Reaping, you're losing one of their armour's greatest benefits and not compensating for it with a transport. Their kit is also close combat only so they can't fire as they march up the board.

If you're not running the Reaping and don't play against any Artillery, might be worth a try as their resilience will come into play more with 2 wounds and a 2+ save soaking up the majority of fire. I wouldn't personally do it though because people would just take Medusa's/Typhon's etc and simply remove my elite and very slow close combat unit from the board. But consider other modes of deployment too - deep striking them in a Dreadclaw/Kharybdis or outflanking them perhaps.

What's the last list you ran/how many points you usually play at?

I didn't mean to imply I was going to use The Reaping for footslogging, I mistyped and meant that I've seen plenty of lists where people are happy to footslog whilst using The Reaping

To be honest, I'm still collecting and creating lists. I've been playing with 2000 and 2500 to start with as my FLGS isn't too chuffed on massive games, and I'm really just getting to know the local scene

Before I started DG I was fiddling around with Imperial Fist lists and never really had much of an issue creating a list. I decided to go with my favourite traitors because I can play IF at 40k already, but I'm finding them difficult to create for. I really love their Terminators, I think they're really cool, but like I said before, I'm either dumping all my points into them and having something half-baked left over, OR running something bland.

You'll have to excuse the quick format, apologies if it doesn't meet forum standards, I'll edit it if notified

2485/2500, no ROW

HQ

Deathshroud (435)

• x5, Land Raider

Elites

Contemptor Mortis (180)

• Dual Kheres

Quad Launchers (210)

• x3, Shatter Shells

Troops

Tactical Squad (180)

• x10, Rhino, Vexilla
    • Sarge, Artificer and Melta

Tactical Squad (180)

• x10, Rhino, Vexilla
    • Sarge, Artificer and Melta

Heavy Support

Grave Wardens (435)

• x5, x2 Chainfist, Land Raider

Vindicator Squadron (240)

• x2 Vindicators

Sicaran Venator (190)

LOW

Mortarion The Reaper (425)

Edited by CaptainBoxman

Maybe you could switch out the landraiders for droppods? Yu already have a enough anti tank stuff so losing 4 twin linked lascannons will not hurt you that bad. 

Another bonus is that you get to suprise your enemy with the droppods. And maybe you can purchase a command rhino for that sweet reserve bonus. If you can pop in a cheap siege breaker you can run creeping death to beef up all your frag weapons, and give a 5+ cover in the open. 

So where does Mortarion go?

The list is fine for sure, but I feel like it's skirting around 2 or 3 ideas when it would rather be one solid one.

A RoW will help focus your build for sure.

Personally I'll try to pick just one of the Terminators when making a list (unless its pride or something) - rather than try to squeeze two in at under 3000, where each units is basically 500 points once you buy a decent number of them and a transport.

I'm trying to think of buying things finally now that I've got around to slowly assembling my Prospero MkIII marines (and I bought 20 extras so I can have two full squads of 20 plus 10 for something else).  So mostly I'm getting a few extras: Apothecaries, a torso and head set (to convert up sergeants and to make a custom Siege Breaker Consul), and 2x Mortars.  I'm trying to decide between two Vindicator Laser Destroyers or one Vindicator and get 10 missile launchers for the extra 10 guys that I got from Prospero.  My HQ is going to be Typhon, optionally with Deathshroud bodyguard, but I don't have the funds right now to get them a Land Raider.  I want to use the Creeping Death RoW because it seems cool.

Any suggestions?  Is 10 extra guys with missile launchers on foot a better option than a second big tank?  It seems if I'm only going to take one Vindicator, I might want to take something else instead until I can field multiples.  I do not know what other people have at the moment, but my own idea is sort of the concept that Typhon is leading a contingent to sweep and wipe out loyalist elements on a planet, like a tidal wave of death.  I'm not going for a full 2500 point list as I don't have that much money at the moment.

So where does Mortarion go?

The list is fine for sure, but I feel like it's skirting around 2 or 3 ideas when it would rather be one solid one.

A RoW will help focus your build for sure.

Personally I'll try to pick just one of the Terminators when making a list (unless its pride or something) - rather than try to squeeze two in at under 3000, where each units is basically 500 points once you buy a decent number of them and a transport.

What impressions are you getting in terms of "skirting around 2 or 3 ideas"? Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees!

I hoped Mortarion could just ninja his way up the board. As I mentioned before, that was a hastily thrown together list which demonstrated what I keep gravitating towards

How's this?

HQ (410pts)

10x Deathshroud Terminators (410pts)

Elites (320pts)

3x Quad Launcher Battery (210pts)

Shatter Shell

2x Laser Rapier Battery (110pts)

Troops (580pts)

10 Man Tactical Squad (185pts)

Rhino, Vexilla

Sarge, Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs

10 Man Tactical Squad (185pts)