[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

A power fist gives you the chance to one hit a character, if your opponent is silly enough to let it happen and you have enough luck, but a scythe means that in any sergeant vs. sergeant contests you have a solid chance of coming on top, with your +1S AP2 weapon that isn't unwieldy. It will also give you an extra attack with a bit of good positioning. If you have the points, artificer armour/melta bombs/power scythe works fine.

It's also fluffy and extremely appropriate for the Legion, while still being an excellent weapon. Scythe all the way.

Powerfists are only worth it if you know you're going to end up against a dread or something.

Even then, a meltabomb will probably do better.

Scythe all the way, AP2 as I3 is certainly awesome. Only the White Scars & Emperor's Children sarges can touch you.

Rad grenades also make victory almost a certainty.

Scythe it is then, they have both the rules and the cool factor.

Also is Rask a siege breaker? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm a little confused he has the rules but it doesn't say he is, am I just not seeing it?

as i say to everyone who asks this, send a quick email to forgeworld, it only takes seconds. If enough of us ask, maybe will get a revision in the next update or at least some clarification. As it stands, he currently does not count. 

so send that email?

Scythe it is then, they have both the rules and the cool factor.

Also is Rask a siege breaker? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm a little confused he has the rules but it doesn't say he is, am I just not seeing it?

as i say to everyone who asks this, send a quick email to forgeworld, it only takes seconds. If enough of us ask, maybe will get a revision in the next update or at least some clarification. As it stands, he currently does not count. 

so send that email?

Sorry, like i said i probably missed something, thanks for the clarification tho

And yes i will email of course send one, it can't hurt, and might even make him better!

• 2 weeks later...

I am continuing to work on my DG Orbital assault list and I have a question.  I can equip a Forge Lord with a jump pack which now means he has the deep strike rule.  However, I can start units on the board as long as they have the deep strike rule for the rite correct?

I am working out my nuncio vox network so my Grave Wardens and Deathshroud deep strike in with no scatter and where I want them to. 

Fun fact did you know that heavy support squads can take nuncio voxes?  Pod in some chem munition heavy flamers and then next turn let the sarge guide down the real pain.:laugh.:  

Hi guys,

Was wondering.. I have a bunch of Prospero Tartaros Terminators lying around.

Do you think they have any place within the DG? They seem outclassed by the legion specific and cataphractii ones in DG. Sweeping doesn't seem like a thing we want to be doing in a sense it would justify the Tartaros..

Curious what you think about them.

Edited by Slippy

They sweep in the Reaping? Don't have the book on me. That's better than I thought. Combiplas and chainfists might be interesting

Well, Tartaros has been able to sweep for a few months now. It's just part of the armour's special rules. What sets it apart from Cataphracti.

Deathguard 'Intractable' rule gives -1I on sweep tests. This applies all the time, not just when running reaping. Reaping itself just puts penalties on running (at least for infantry)

So anyone tried the creeping death RoW?

I've used it near exclusively now - and I do think it has significant merits, especially if your army design isn't around say the benefits that the Reaping brings. As I've said previously, this is mainly within the context of the lists I take: normally two large 20-strong squads, each with an Apothecary, with a view to making them as survivable as possible for as long as possible. With that in mind, if you're not using a lot of infantry - you probably won't actively utilise the bonus that the Rite gives you, especially when you get close - but I tend to think there's never a downside if you need to take a RoW, and don't want to influence your range of movement options. With regard to the other benefits, I've still mostly played on urban boards, so I can't fully comment on the effectiveness of turning wooded areas to sludge - but it has worked a few times (admittedly, neither to my real advantage or opponent's detriment).

So, with that in mind - I think it's really dependent on your army-list composition: what you want to take as well as what you may normally play against. It's definitely situational, and so if there are terrain heavy boards - you may not get as much mileage, but equally - it may excel further on foliage heavy tables. For me, it fits with the theme of my list (Medusas, Rapiers, etc.) - but if I wanted to take more Terminators or Support squads, there are better alternative Rites to facilitate that! Either way, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try just as something different - and see if it suits the way you like to play!

Agree with what Chaeron said, more or less. I think it's a terrible Rite of War in that it doesn't really do anything interesting at all - but if you fit the list of criteria (infantry blobs, play on lots of boards with trees, already take a Siege Breaker, have a missile launcher fetish) it will give you a bonus without hampering your speed. The reality is though that it doesn't give you anything seriously tangible, so don't expect much.

It's a real pity more wasn't done with it. Grave Wardens and Destroyers as troops or something would have instantly transformed it from mediocre to stellar (or at least interesting) while keeping with the Chemical Weapons theme. I still find the description hilarious - as the heresy went on, the DG used more and more forbidden weapons, forbidden by the Emperor himself...that have a small chance of destroying trees and covering our troops with mist.

I can see why the Emperor banned them - the most disappointing chemical weapons in the galaxy.