[HH1.0] 30k Ultramarines tactics

GreyCrow

With Guilliman eating a ton of points, Contemptors 50pts extra soon adds up, Legion Dreads may prove beneficial.

That said a Tank Hunting Mortis Twin Kheres could prove to be a slightly less effective Deredeo. Iirc they are cheaper than a Contemptor running thebsame and if you have the points to spare are better.

With Guilliman eating a ton of points, Contemptors 50pts extra soon adds up, Legion Dreads may prove beneficial.

That said a Tank Hunting Mortis Twin Kheres could prove to be a slightly less effective Deredeo. Iirc they are cheaper than a Contemptor running thebsame and if you have the points to spare are better.

They are indeed cheaper. I think even with the two Kheres it's cheaper than the normal one base.

It is my hope that the title change in the faq leads to an actual change in legion morris dreads to talons: so I can run 12 mortis dreads with the big G.

A casual...

2560 points right there! With 24 Kheres of course.

The faq did not change the contemptor mortis title to have the word "talon", only the legion mortis. Anyways contemptors cost to much to spam that many medium ranged ones for shooting.

Fluff-wise, Infantry. They have a focus on sword & shield warfare, a la Roman Legions. They also start to emulate 40k Chapter Tactics later in the Heresy, so that's one way to approah them.

Tactically, Infantry backed up by "enablers" of Interlocking Tactics (like Rhinos), Guilliman and a spammed unit that he can buff. Tank Hunters on Sicaran Battle Tanks or Implacable Advance on Contemptors is pretty solid. :)

EDIT: I should also note that all Legions had all aspects of war covered to some degree. Ultramarines were the most numerous of all the Legions, and had a balance of war dispositions. You could make any themed army for them and it would be fluffy.

Edited by Caillum

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so our new RoW is pretty damn awesome, but will require additional purchases.

Equally impressive, we can now take Guilliman as our mandatory HQ - not a LoW, and save points we can spend elsewhere for 2k games.

Unfortunately this prohibits a LoW slot so no Primarch/Typhon combos. Of course, if you want super-Heavies a detachment of Solar Auxilia can field various ones heavy supports :-P

Yeah I think the new RoW is pretty good, I am little bummed its militia vs Solar Auxilia but that's just personal taste.

The primarch RoW is cool I suppose if you just want to get games in, but I can't imagine using a primarch at 2k and not regretting it somehow.

Of all the new RoW's I find myself only drawn to the Zone Mortalus one and the tank one. The tank one isn't really useful for us, but the ZM one is.

On a separate note I don't care for our new specific one. Scout Marines (or whatever their name is) are not what i would call good, and I find myself always short on points to bring the UM stuff I want, so why would I make a requirement to bring all the stuff I don't? (Even though some of the militia stuff is interesting Solar Aux has the actual good toys.)

Why hello! Not common of me to appear on a Ultra thread but here I am :P

So in your opinion what would be a good 1k list? Small units of veterans, or big blobs of tacticals? I still have my BaC set and im trying to choose around. Despite liking IF, and Sigismund, I usually dont do things I like because I always fall short of what I want. Im that weird. Which drives me close to Ultramarines and Emperor Children. I like a balanced play style, with units supporting one another, like a proper army. I also like the roman theme. Alpha Legion was an option, but sneaky and double crossing is not my style.

I would tend towards rhino-riding troops. With the legion tactics rhinos help out a bit, but I will say that our tactics are not huuuuggggeee, rather our benefits are from excellent ultramarine specific units. (Some might disagree but our tactics only give minor buffs in comparison to big changes).

I disagree, our tactics are very strong. When played correctly they're almost like army wide preferred enemy.

I would agree with the sentiment that our unique units are excellent, and point for point are all great value with the exception of Telemechrus and the Fulmentarus.

Sete, before I answer your question or offer advise, I need to know if you're intending to stick to the BaC boxset mainly, or if you have additional budget for further purchases from FW/GW...

I'd say basic Tacs in Rhinos is the way to start - 2 squads of 10, Sgts with power fists and Artifacer Armour.

Then a Chaplain/Praetor, Termies and Contemptor?

If you get 2 more missile launcher, or 5 Lascannons you can use some Tacs as a Heavy weapons squad.

You could easily expand the force with vehicles and transports, or alternatively convert 10 of the Tacs into Locutarus Storm assault Marines with some additional bling and jump packs..

Edited by Ishagu

I would tend towards rhino-riding troops. With the legion tactics rhinos help out a bit, but I will say that our tactics are not huuuuggggeee, rather our benefits are from excellent ultramarine specific units. (Some might disagree but our tactics only give minor buffs in comparison to big changes).

I agree with this wholeheartedly our legion rules are ok at best.

If you look at what some other legions get (I'm looking at you Alpha Legion and Imperial Fists!)

our's are a bit underwhelming.

Then you come to our legion specific units, now I've only used 3 of them (Locutarus, Suzerain

and Fulmentarus) but they've all achieved what I've asked of them.

I'm going to add another squad of Suzerain, they are hard as nails and look fantastic too!

You can Always create counts as models, all that's needed are power axes and shields...

I personally love the Suzerains. The pictures really don't do them justice, they are big and chunky in person and look imposing.

So have you made your mind up to do Ultras? I'd have assumed you'd pick Imperial Fists...

Edited by Ishagu