[HH1.0] 30k Ultramarines tactics

GreyCrow

Ultras work best with Papa Smurf, while using multiples of the same unit. Special units are also great except for Fulmentarus terminators being stupid priced and power sword breachers being pointless (and also overpriced). Rites are mediocre.

A more well balanced army doesn't sound bad as my other armies are sorta one sided in strategy. I was thinking of an armored list with vets and Suzerains.

At the core of the army I was thinking of utilizing veterans in rhinos for a couple of reasons:

A veteran has both benefits of the ultramarine legion tactics in that it can shoot pretty decently and have enough of an oomph for a charge.

The rhino because it gives speed and it activated the legion traits easier.

Fluff wise I've always loved the idea of a more conventional army in the same the ultras are known for and vets just seem really cool.

From there I would add a squad of the big G with some Suzerains in a land raider, sicarians to keep up and some Inviticarii. Add in some dreads and Rapiers and done.

How's that? Otherwise maybe a drop pod list instead? The second exclusive ROW seems pretty cool, any thoughts on that?

I absolutely love them fluff wise but still not sure on what to do gameplay wise. I love the idea of an army built on synergy and balancing everything out.

Vigilas operatii isn't terrible per se, but it forces you to spend minimum 200 points for your allied force commander (you must purchase warrior elite and gene crafted provenances). This is no small investment and will be felt keenly when list-building at ~2000 points or less. Plus recon squads as compulsory isn't that great of a boon, fortunately it isn't mandatory. Ideally I'd like to run the allied as an additional heavy slot, but because you're forced into expensive provenances you kinda feel the need to invest in infantry bodies (that you can't spam 'cause no levies and being an allied detachment).

With that said I have had good luck with it in Zone Mortalis, infiltrating grenadiers with meltaguns make an awesome dreadnought screen. Plus with S/I 4 you can give the sarge a power weapon and have him go toe to toe with a Legion sergeant and he has a fair chance of coming out on top.

Also stick the mandatory vigilator with a techpriest with servitors equipped with multi-meltas and infiltrate AND scout them right into melta range. perfect for decimating solar auxillia tank squadrons (on the first turn only, don't expect them to survive much return fire....like at all).

I too want to give a shout out for Orbital Assault:

- Remus Ventanus is a cheap, easy way to manipulate Reserves in an OA list, which normally requires an Allied Detachment for other Legions.

- Drop Pods can spot for their targets (re. Interlocking Tactics) with their combi-bolters.

- Guilliman & Remus can join some Suzerains in a Dreadclaw, and Big G can give a trio of Contemptors Implacable Advance or Tank Hunters.

Not a bad idea Callium and thank you for the run down on the operatii.

An orbital assualt list sounds pretty good though from my only concern is that relying on support squads. Maybe have some locturas squads as well.

Actually with Guilliaman it's really good as you avoid the tax of tactical marines and you can focus on the good stuff. I can have deep striking terminator troops, scoring leviathans or tank hunting ones and It fits a lot of my requirements which is:

It's aggressive

Has close combat ability

And has speed.

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

I'd run multiple Sicarans if you're taking Guilliman over Contemptor Dreads. You still want some ranged firepower supporting you from the back if you're running an aggressive list.

Not sure I would take the Ultras in the drop pod direction, though they are certainly good when geared that way...

I got my hands on the Tribune and have assembled him.

Actually a brilliant model, I'll be trying to include him in my lists!

Mine is looking like the start of an allied force of Imperial Fists to my Ultramarines... Need a hammerhead and a storm shield now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I think I finally figured out a good Logos list.

Logos Lectora Competitive List

2000/2000 Points, 6 inf, 6 vehicle/flyer

Guilliman (Gives Sicarans Tank Hunters, rides in LR with Suzies and FL)

Forge Lord

Master of Signal (Logos tax)

Suzerians (5 men, count as compulsory troops thanks to G-Man)

LR Phobos DT (Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade)

Tac Squad (Rhino, other than that barebones)

Tac Squad (Same as above)

Sicaran (with Lascannon sponsons)

Sicaran (same as above)

Ziphon Interceptor (with strafing run upgrade)

Thoughts:

-anti inf covered with the tac squads, G-man and Suzies, Sicarans in a pinch plus the orbital bombardment from MoS

-anti flyer covered by xiphon

-AT/anti Spartan covered by xiphon and Sicarans with tank hunter

-Sicarans can be given implacable advance tank hunter or even interceptor

-weaknesses?? Possibly overall lack of punch if xiphon fails to come in

-at 2.5k Suzies upped to 10 men, LR Phobos exchanged for Spartan, tac squads receive vexillas and stuff, add quad mortars

In Logos Fulmentarus with Reaper Autocannons are pretty sweet (and far more affordable than cyclone variants). Twin-linked BS2 vs flyers, tank hunters, -1 to jink saves, they can scour the skies quite easily. Anything less than AV14 will also be in trouble (a min squad of 5 does an easy 3 glances to AV13, a squad of 8 glances it 5 times).

Edited by Terminus

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for unit queries, but, has anyone made use of Locutarus Storm squads yet? For totally fluff reasons I'm going use a squad or two in an escalation style campaign. As soon as the power gladius weapons upgrades are out ill be making some (and have left overs for mrk4 breaches). How do they fair?

They'll mince power armour and can have a decent Salvo on the drop with some plasma pistols.

Thats about it really.

No plasma pistols. Hand flamers are the way to go. The power swords are enough to kill other SMs. The flamers will give you the ability to crush some hordes.  Granted, I've only made it work 100 percent once, but usually I can land multiple templates.

It seems like hand flamers would tempt you to get dangerously close to enemy units to maximize the Locutarus' drop-zone double tap special ability. 

They kinda feel like Templar Brethren with jump packs. Arty armor, great at executing power armor but bounces off Terminators.

Actually I wanna see Templar Brethren on Locutarus now :lol:

I wouldn't upgrade them with ranged weapons at all, and probably ignore the deepstriking bonus. I'd simply start them on the board, accompanied by a Jump pack Praetor with Thunder Hammer and a jump pack apothecary :-)

The hand flamer v plasma discussion happened a few pages back. The deep strike feels like a trap, honestly, since you're deploying within rapid fire range of their army. Plasma does let you land somewhere off the beaten path and sink a few S7 AP2s into a tank's tailpipe, but they are outrageously expensive. Plasma pistols are so ubiquitous on character models, I was hoping they would make them 10 points. I'd feel a lot better sprinkling a few pistols into Suzy and Lucy squads.

Personally I always take at least 1 pp per squad of Suzie's or Loci's, because when push comes to shove I like to have my infantry units capable of at least threatening basic vehicles. I hate it when all my AT is destroyed and I'm left with nothing greater than Str5-6 shooting.

Don't judge my love of plasma :tongue.: lol it's what I prefer, that's all. Plus with AA on everyone I don't ever have to worry about GH (at least I always roll my GH's well).

But yeah a sane person would probably just take a TH.

The hand flamer v plasma discussion happened a few pages back. The deep strike feels like a trap, honestly, since you're deploying within rapid fire range of their army. Plasma does let you land somewhere off the beaten path and sink a few S7 AP2s into a tank's tailpipe, but they are outrageously expensive. Plasma pistols are so ubiquitous on character models, I was hoping they would make them 10 points. I'd feel a lot better sprinkling a few pistols into Suzy and Lucy squads.

It definitely takes some planning to avoid, but I think its doable to avoid landing in range of more than one unit. I am cool landing and taking one unit's shots then obliterating said rapid firing unit next turn. Especially if it gets me to the position I want to be in (going around the back/sides of the other army).

Deep strike is probably a trap for them. I plan on running mine as a counterattack force, hovering behind my lines ready to strike. (Also I built a small squad with plasma pistols as I can field the unit without any complaints of cheese by pointing to the over priced upgrades.)

I love my Locutarus.

They've made their pts back in every game I've fielded them.

I agree with Ishagu the best way to run them is without any 

shooty upgrades. They are pricey pts wise already so I'd leave

them bare bones.

My Thunder hammer Praetor is always last man standing.

Again to echo what others have said deploy them with the rest 

of your force because Interceptior fire can really ruin their day!