Dark Angels rumors. update: Codex leaks, pg 28

Whatever formation/detachment the DW becomes (if it does) -- it'll be competing with the Codex SM's "Strike Force Ultra":

"Strike Force Ultra is one of the most famous strike forces. [really?] First used by the Ultramarines, it's made up entirely of 1st Company Veterans wearing Terminator armour [sound familiar?]. Deployed by Stormraven, Land Raider and teleportrer, there is little that can survive such a devastating hammer-blow."

Be be very interested to see if that strike force gets a special deployment rule of some kind yes.gif.

Anyway, there we go. Deathwing (might) be dead. Long live Deathwing dry.png.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/codex-space-marines-cover-model-formation-details.html

[items in square brackets mine.]

Cheers

I

I have tried the existing version of Strike Force Mediocre, and let me tell you it is terrible. You have nothing to worry about. What it feels like is a very weak, very expensive version of Grey Knights Nemesis Strike Force. Plus the size of it alone, even in its smallest incarnation is way too big.

They would have to tweak this immensely to make it even mildly worth the giant box set I bought. lol!

DWs have a bit of an identity crisis and they do need a significant amount of help.  What GKs are to Psychic Terminators, DW should be to regular terminators.  Their cost needs to be reduced, Inner Circle needs to be re-worked (I don't care about having fearless when my alternative would be ATSKNF), and a formation should offer some nice bonuses.

I love my Deathwing collection, but the 6th and 7th edition rules and codices just don't support terminators.  There's simply too much high strength, low AP and cheap high volume shooting out there -- it only takes 3 shots or melee strikes at S6/AP2 to kill a terminator, and that sort of weapon/monstrous creature is not hard to come by in any codex these days.

I expect that a formation will consist something of a Command Squad, 2 DWT, and a DWK Squad and have some sort of special DWA rule, like precision striking or re-rolling result (a-la BA).  That's AT LEAST a $275 USD purchase to field, which is in line with what GW pushes with their formations, maybe it would go as far as requiring Landraiders which would make it a big ticket item.

But I wager the biggest change DW will see is Belial.  Given how every codex has lost the ability to do so, I think we can safely assume Belial will lose the ability to make Terminators troops.  That's really been the only draw to using him as far as I'm concerned as his statline and weaponry can easily be recreated with an Interrogator Chaplain or Company Master in TDA with a MoR.  SO I think we could get what he deserves and that is being brought in line with Lysander, or drop to like 130 points because that's about the neighborhood that I think he belongs in.

DWs have a bit of an identity crisis and they do need a significant amount of help.  What GKs are to Psychic Terminators, DW should be to regular terminators.  Their cost needs to be reduced, Inner Circle needs to be re-worked (I don't care about having fearless when my alternative would be ATSKNF), and a formation should offer some nice bonuses.

I love my Deathwing collection, but the 6th and 7th edition rules and codices just don't support terminators.  There's simply too much high strength, low AP and cheap high volume shooting out there -- it only takes 3 shots or melee strikes at S6/AP2 to kill a terminator, and that sort of weapon/monstrous creature is not hard to come by in any codex these days.

I expect that a formation will consist something of a Command Squad, 2 DWT, and a DWK Squad and have some sort of special DWA rule, like precision striking or re-rolling result (a-la BA).  That's AT LEAST a $275 USD purchase to field, which is in line with what GW pushes with their formations, maybe it would go as far as requiring Landraiders which would make it a big ticket item.

But I wager the biggest change DW will see is Belial.  Given how every codex has lost the ability to do so, I think we can safely assume Belial will lose the ability to make Terminators troops.  That's really been the only draw to using him as far as I'm concerned as his statline and weaponry can easily be recreated with an Interrogator Chaplain or Company Master in TDA with a MoR.  SO I think we could get what he deserves and that is being brought in line with Lysander, or drop to like 130 points because that's about the neighborhood that I think he belongs in.

Chances that DWT squads are duplicates of the SM Terminator squads and the special rules are attached to the formation instead of the units themselves?

So, Dark Angels are not the first to have an all Termiantor armour in their force? It was the Ultramarines who started having all Veteran armies wearing Terminator suits and Dark Angels copied them? 

Is this a recton or are they just talking about Strike Force what ever that is suppose to mean?

Sorry if this is horribly off topic for a codex rumours thread - but has anyone heard any recent news & rumours of a Summer Campaign?

Or even anything solid on a DA Codex for that matter?

Aside from reading tea leaves / 301 re-directs the only thing that's been confirmed is the Int Chaplain - you would think a Summer Campaign would be sort of a big thing right?

If it's confirmed there will be a July 4th release of 9th Ed Warhammer. Seems like there would be a lot to fit into the rest of a June.

I'm trying to prepare my Wife & Wallet for another potential big box purchase in the event we are blessed with a summer campaign equivalent to the Shield of Baal.

Until I figure out a way to squeeze all my 40k stuff into the proverbial dog house it would make for a much happier household all around. thumbsup.gif

I guess what I'm asking is there a post that deals with dis-information? Something to check quickly instead of scanning pages of posts? If so please point me to it!

ex. Int Chaplain - CONFIRMED, DA Codex - UNCONFIRMED, DA Tactical Marines - UNCONFIRMED etc.

edit: nevermind this last part I just noticed the 1st post here is being updated with pics! thanks again!

Thanks!

Those who thought the new Devastators kit might mean that DA get gravs will be disappointed by this picture:

DAdevs

And it seems that the DA Battleforce will come with at least 1 Ravenwing sprue, but it's not priced at much of a savings to anyone who isn't buying Dark Vengeance at the same time:

RWBFblurb

RWBFbox

(Here's some rather better pictures.  The glossy pages make it hard to get a good shot)

outta likes but wanted to say thanks for posting.  i would happily trade access to grav guns for improved  plasma in the form or either reroll or remove the gets hot rule.

Those who thought the new Devastators kit might mean that DA get gravs will be disappointed by this picture:

We also get Multi Melta stripped out of our Dev choices!!! blink.png ...tongue.png

Meh, that is neither proof nor denial either way. Not that I care, i dont want grav, I want Conversion Beamers, Rift cannons and Volkites...

Meh, that is neither proof nor denial either way. 

True - but if we saw a picture of a DA Dev with a Grav, that would settle the matter.  Sadly, that picture is not to be found in this issue. so there's no reason to be hopeful either.

True - but if we saw a picture of a DA Dev with a Grav, that would settle the matter.  Sadly, that picture is not to be found in this issue. so there's no reason to be hopeful either.

The DA codex shows 5 knights in a RW command squad, but we could only take 3 until about 6 months later when squad expansion was FAQ'd in.

Bottom line, pictures tend to mean very little.

Again, I'm merely commenting on the absence of grav weaponry in the picture.  If one was present we'd have a fair certainty - but as I said before, just because the bits come in the box doesn't mean non-Codex chapters are guaranteed to be able to use them.

I'm not presenting evidence against it - just stating that there's still none in favor.

Well then there you have it.  I have to believe that this battleforce won't sell all that well.  I think most people will probably buy one, TWO of these at most.  Before it came off the shelves I think I had 4 RW Battleforces, maybe with a 5th hiding in a closet somewhere.  So I'm drowning in RW bits (which is still probably one of the best upgrade sprues as far as bits are concerned).

The Landspeeder makes sense, but the attack bike is interesting, could this mean that an attack bike squad is in the cards? time will tell!

Those are the new devastator models painted as Dark Angels so I'll call it now and say we have the same options.

Those are the new devastator models painted as Dark Angels so I'll call it now and say we have the same options.

All images of DA Devs were shown without Grav thus far.

Well then there you have it.  I have to believe that this battleforce won't sell all that well. 

I think it won't even sell that well.  The only market I can see for it is those who just bought Dark Vengeance and are looking to expand the starter army.  The other Battleforce boxes are a legal CAD army, but this one does not appear to be.  An HQ unit, a trike that cannot be taken on its own and a Fast Attack speeder?

It's not much of a value, either - at $100 US, compared to $107.25 for these vehicles sold separately, with whatever value one Ravenwing sprue is?  Very little savings here.

I don't expect I'll need to beef up my Ravenwing contingent, as I already have two full-strength Attack Squadrons - but if I do, I'm thankful that there are three stores within a half-hour from me that each have the old Battleforce box for $90.

Archived