A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

I am a lesser son of greater fathers.

I am the descendant of men who carried the human race from its infantile cradle to the mantle of supremacy across the galaxy.

I am the son of warriors whose tread shook the stars and whose fury shattered civilisations, whose courage turned back the shroud of Old Night, and whose honour has served as an example for generations since passed, and for those yet to come.

I am the last in a long line of warrior-heroes who have left their indefatigible mark on the course of human history, and who will be revered forever more across the ages as legends. And rightly so.

Yet I am no legend. Nor am I a hero. I am the last of my brothers and the most fallible of them all. I am the sole survivor, the outcast, the lone wanderer who stood, paralysed, as his brothers were cut down and murdered by those who should have been our kinsmen and shield-brothers.

My sin is that I live, while those who were far worthier than I, far nobler and doughtier men, lie dead.

I am a lesser son of greater fathers, and by what authority is vested in me by the Primarch and by the Emperor, beloved by all, I swear I will avenge my fallen brothers and reap such a tally amongst their murderers that I might stand as an equal amongst my brothers in the afterlife.

-from the journal of an unknown battle-brother, XIIIth Legion 'Ultramarines', company and Chapter unknown

Edited by BrotherCaptainArkhan

I see this working very well, actually. I've been fighting myself on starting a project focusing on the darker aspects of the XIII as well, but for now I will be more than content watching vicariously as you bring some of that to life through your own work.

Excited to see more, brother!

Another XIII project to follow :happy.: Great start so far :smile.:

I see this working very well, actually. I've been fighting myself on starting a project focusing on the darker aspects of the XIII as well, but for now I will be more than content watching vicariously as you bring some of that to life through your own work.

Excited to see more, brother!

I'll have to keep an eye out if you do decide to do it :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch, brothers. Nice to meet with fraternal approval! I would very much like to see your take on darker Ultras as well, Tyrannicide. An idea becomes stronger the more it's developed.

May I ask for thoughts as to how to equip the rest of Augustus? At present, I am thinking of going with a bare head (undecided yet - will have hair and beard) but could go back to the Puppetswar helm, as my brother (real-life brother) said it looks a bit like a hoplite on steroids, lol. This is what Augustus looked like in early 2014 when he was going to be a Chaos Champion (talk about lifestyle change):

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020038_zpsb0139760.jpg

Reckon I should keep the same armaments (obviously with different shoulderpads)? They're already quite Ultramarine-y...

Efit: I can't read.

I like how he looks right now, though truth be told I think some sort of unhelmed head would give him a lot of character as you mentioned mentioned a beard, so what about the new UM upgrade sprue? It has that bearded head with the laurels, maybe sculpt a mohawk? Perhaps use that nice power sword that comes with it? Keep the shield though. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the XIIIth.

Edited by Vazzy

Ok, once I got over the shock of seeing the blue marine, I went back and actually read what you're planning on doing with this. Based on his previous experience, might I suggest a Siege Breaker? After seeing what his traitorous brethren have done, he's all about killing first and asking questions later with phosphex grenades and Tank Hunter.

Or... a Chaplain. Fearless and Hatred ftw.

Cheers guys. Hopefully going to have another update tonight. In the meantime...

I have to lay a vote down for chainsword and shield, thats a winning combo. As is the helmet - reinforces that faceless warrior over hero feel that you are aiming for. Looking forward to seeing more :smile.:

Yeah I agree. I'm tempted by the news of the Legatine Axe in HH: Tempest though...

Efit: I can't read.

I like how he looks right now, though truth be told I think some sort of unhelmed head would give him a lot of character as you mentioned mentioned a beard, so what about the new UM upgrade sprue? It has that bearded head with the laurels, maybe sculpt a mohawk? Perhaps use that nice power sword that comes with it? Keep the shield though. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the XIIIth.

I suspect I might end up magnetising his head, kind of like I did with my biker version of my forum namesake. I want to stay away from the 41st-milennium 'walking jewellery store' vibe Ultramarines unfortunately have, so laurels might not make it in, but we'll see - there are definitely some really nice bits on that upgrade sprue that might be too tempting not to incorporate. And yes, the shield's definitely staying!

Ok, once I got over the shock of seeing the blue marine, I went back and actually read what you're planning on doing with this. Based on his previous experience, might I suggest a Siege Breaker? After seeing what his traitorous brethren have done, he's all about killing first and asking questions later with phosphex grenades and Tank Hunter.

This is an irritatingly good idea, after reading it yesterday morning it stuck with me most of the day and I've been trying to find a way to make it work. I'm not sure of a loadout that would let him keep shield + CC weapon whilst meshing properly with the Siege Breaker's rules. As-is, he's built as an ideal match for the Legion Champion rules, but that's very Ultramarine, and something like a brooding, vengeful Siege Breaker like you described would be very cool. And phosphex is awesome.

Perhaps destroyer helm + black shoulderpads (destroyers, after all) + shield + CC weapon of some sort + combiweapon...? Any thoughts? If only he got Wrecker in CC!  I'll post some pics of various loadouts when I'm home next week - really finding this a tricky one.

Now, final question: I have this Apothecary currently built to fit my Sons of Tyr force in 40k (which is rapidly becoming a modelling project due to my dislike of the way the M41 ruleset is going). I'm wondering if I should make this guy an Ultramarine. He looks a little like a cross between Pythol from Ultramarines and Sidonus from Space Marine. The other option (besides keeping him as Sons of Tyr) is to go with Raven Guard, but I think he's not as good of a match for them as he would be for XIII Legion/Sons of Tyr.

Any comments?

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020673_zpsvbvmj8pi.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020674_zpsprsfhefk.jpg

Incidentally it's not a legal loadout for 30k so the axe would unfortunately have to be replaced (bugger). I'm also not sure if the Crux Terminatus on his shoulderpad is idiosyncratic given the time period?

Edit #2: Or even...Primus Medicae? Might have just answered my own question...

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

This is an irritatingly good idea, after reading it yesterday morning it stuck with me most of the day and I've been trying to find a way to make it work. I'm not sure of a loadout that would let him keep shield + CC weapon whilst meshing properly with the Siege Breaker's rules.

Siege Breaker with a shield? It's the most natural thing in the world! Whatcha think the breachers are? ;)

Also, the Crux Terminatus wasn't around in the Great Crusade/Heresy era, so yes, it is anachronistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers lads. Good suggestions both - the Siege Breaker is being worked on, and Sock, whilst I like the concept of the gladius, I've seen those Kromlech ones in person and they're horribly out of scale unfortunately.

Time for a WIP shot as the Heresy gets underway on my workbench! Funnily enough no cobalt blue power armour in this update, just Adsecularis tech-thralls and what I think might end up being a Calth Auxilia objective marker, thoughts?

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG1123_zpsvms7xqpd.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG1124_zpsbgdqmenp.jpg

Thanks, gents. I'd love to hear any criticism that comes to mind as I'd like to improve a bit over the course of this particular project.

Next inload: a WIP of my first proper Ultramarines unit (Still feels weird to write that, haha)

Breacher Squad 'Ferrata' of 84th Co. XIII Legion (Brother-Sergeant Castra commanding)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020720_zpsy0karna5.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020725_zpsuv5jjihb.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020721_zpsc13bjvwl.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020728_zpstw6scxrw.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020727_zps0minbqxl.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020729_zpszvebhrna.jpg

Thoughts, comments, judgments, etc...all welcome. Next up will be some paint and a bit of XIII Legion fluff.

GW and ultra fans should rejoice at what forge world has done to the flavorless Marie sue Ultra marines, this current "blue plauge" as Chaplain Kage has coined it that the new forge world books and black library have inspired has corralled some of the most creative and skilled minds on this forum into producing evocative and stunning models beyond anything I previously would have associated with the XIII legion. The diary excerpt you wrote is an epic insight into a warriors soul more gritty and rage fueled than any old school Ultra could claim and I applaud you sir and all those who have despite decades of GW"s bad writing of ultra's for inspiring a new found palatability, nay a hungering desire to see more Ultra's on these boards

Fluff and models are stellar man and I can say that folks like you have shed light on a style of Ultramarine that has converted an old school smurf hater into a huge fan of the reborn boys in blue

Cheers lads. Good suggestions both - the Siege Breaker is being worked on, and Sock, whilst I like the concept of the gladius, I've seen those Kromlech ones in person and they're horribly out of scale unfortunately.

Oh yes, breachers. Everyone seems to have some, but I never get tired of seeing them.Yours are off to a good start.

That's a shame about the Kromlech Gladii. Did you know that Anvil have a set? They're not as a grand looking, but they probably scale better.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Close-Combat-Weapons/Gladius-Conversion-Set