Tyrants of Olympia - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors

I think you have one of the best iron warrior armys I've seen. Kinda glad I'm moving away from the sons of iron towards a different path, I wouldn't want to stand in your shadow lol.

I could try and convert some neighbours but the island some times has a craggy island feel to it. Not sure it would go down to well with some.

Thanks for the comments guys happy.png

Olis, that video cracked me up lol

Lorgar17, the stripes are done with a basecoat of Averland Sunset. The black is then added. The yellow is highlighed with Yriel Yellow and edged with Flash Gitz Yellow. They are then washed with Seraphim Sepia and the edges gone over finely with Flash Gitz Yellow. The stripes are done with masking tape to get a straight line, the marines have to be freehand though unfortunately. Best tip is to take your time and just touch up bits you mess up. They take a while, but are worth it.

MkIV marines should look just fine. I have considered mixing some into my squads at some point down the line. Every legion uses them so go with whatever feels right.

Lord Commander Eidolon, cheers man! Yeah I know what you mean about the mud. Plenty of it can look really good. I've messed up weathering in the past so wanted to stick to a dusty effect this time around.

dantay_xv, that wouldn't surprise me actually! Did you make it to Targe?

The emperor is scottish, you're too kind dude! You should reconsider moving away from Iron Warriors though, we have a cool legion and they don't get the love they deserve...exactly why Perturabo threw a hissy fit msn-wink.gif What legion have you gone for?

I attended the local wargames show, Targe, today and entered my Forge Lord and Sicaran into the single figure and AFV categories respectively. There were some really nice models in the single figure category so I never had high hopes for that one. In the end I never even made top 3 with either entry. I'm a little disappointed not top 3 with the Sicaran when an entry that did was just a WWII tank painted green, washed and drybrushed. It was just a bit of fun though, so not really a big deal.

On a brighter note, I played my first ever game of Zone Mortalis (and the Iron Warriors had their first outing) on Thursday night at the Dundee Wargames Club. It was only 500 points so I took a basic Centurion in terminator armour, a tactical squad and contemptor. It was really good fun and absolutely destroyed the World Eaters I was up against. The game is great fun, I'd definitely recommend it. I can see a Zone Mortalis board down the line lol

Am I right in thinking that Castellax Battle-Automata have increased in points cost to 105 points each?

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Targe!

thought it was next weekend :( Still out at sea just now on this bucket of bolts lol!!

Sounds like the judges were more of a historical persuasion if that tis what ranked above you (No, never, we cannpt have this sci-fi riffraff, what-ho! Oh a Sherman tank, it won the war for us don't you know!! Her have a prize sonny!) :p

Sounds like zone mortalis was great fun, get yourself some breachers though. Apparently they are the crème de la crème of zone mortalis :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Dantay_xv: To be honest, you actually didn’t miss a whole lot this year. Everyone I spoke to said the show was pretty quiet, and the traders are the same every year as well. I don’t even recall seeing anyone selling paints, which was very surprising. You know it’s bad when you’re struggling to spend money lol

Zone Mortalis is a very good game, I’d definitely recommend it if you haven’t had the chance to try it out yet. Breachers may be on the shopping list at some point…purely for that game.

@the emperor is scottish: Awesome! You should get some pictures up onto the WIP forum.

Yowsers, I wouldn’t want to be a judge in a competition you enter! For legal reasons, I’m very relieved the school didn’t burn down during the week lol

This week I got around to cleaning up two of the Castellax, which were assembled and based over the weekend. I also put together the Praevian as he’ll be getting an outing next Monday in my first 1000 point game against a friend’s Night Lords.

Due to the points increase in the Castellax I’ve had to drop the Darkfire Cannon bot from my army list. I was considering using the models as part of a small Mechanicum allied detachment at some point down the line anyway, so it’ll fit nicely into that.

I’m not sure whether to stick with the antenna backpack on the Praevian or go for just a regular one, so thoughts are welcome.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/image-01-12-15-05-32%202_zpstikbfk2a.jpg

Also, with a mechanicum detachment in mind, the colour scheme for the Castellax is proving difficult to decide upon. Do I tie it into the Iron Warrior army or go for something more generic Mechanicum?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/Cast%202_zpsle0jnuii.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/Cast%201_zpsujcczghf.jpg

@SkimaskMohawk: I think I know which one you're talking about. They does look good and there's some nice examples floating around on the net. Yellow though (believe it or not), is probably my least favourite colour to paint. Just two Castellax and it might not be a problem, but anything more than that unfortunately isn't something I'd like to tackle. mellow.png lol

@Soric: Thanks for the input dude. Yeah, it probably would look pretty cool. I might try mixing the stripe with the Mechanicum red.

Hmm, I'd love to see you paint the Perturabo model!

I'm sure that will be on the cards at some point. msn-wink.gif

Update: The Praevian is well under way, so I'll get some pictures up soon. I've also been mulling over some ideas for his shield as well.

I played my first game of Horus Heresy last night and decided to write up a battle report. Although it's not strictly something for a painting log, I thought I'd share it.

http://tyrantsofolympia.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/horus-heresy-batrep-1-iron-warriors-vs.html

This week I've been cracking on with the legion's Praevian. I'd been looking forward to starting him because it's always good to put a little bit more time into character models. As you can probably tell, he's not quite finished, but I'd been working on his shield today and thought it was time to get a couple of pictures up. The central section of the shield is where I thought a couple of legion transfers could go. Apologies for the pictures, the light is terrible tonight.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/image-11-12-15-05-43-1_zpsc4ia4zjw.jpeg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/image-11-12-15-05-43_zps8f1t1ufp.jpeg

In other news, Santa paid our household a slightly early visit this year. biggrin.png I must admit, getting stuff like this for Christmas (even at 34) brings back those feelings of being a kid again.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/image-11-12-15-04-32-2_zpsh0zpucsb.jpeg

I'm currently in the process of sourcing some cyclone missile launchers because the Tyrants are just crying out to get started.

Brutal, just brutal! Incredible use of the chain bayonets. Iron Warriors have to be the most menacing Legion IMO. Night Lords do the spooky, flaying thing well, but nothing widens my eyes like a relentless brutal killer walking forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys happy.png

Brutal, just brutal! Incredible use of the chain bayonets. Iron Warriors have to be the most menacing Legion IMO. Night Lords do the spooky, flaying thing well, but nothing widens my eyes like a relentless brutal killer walking forward.

Thank man. I think you're right. Each of the legions have their own brand of menace. Iron Warriors remind me of Jason from the Halloween films in that he just keeps going until he gets you lol. Not that I'd want to face any of the other legions tongue.png

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year!

Progress on the army has been a little slow over the holidays with having to visit family etc. The Praevian still needs finishing, but after my Christmas order turned up I was itching to start the Tyrants so put him to one side. The last of the cyclone missile launchers turned up as well so I assembled these bad boys and added chains, skulls and hooks to make them look a little different to regular terminators.

The right shoulder pads will be added after completion. They'll all be done with the hazard stripes wouldn't be possible with the missile launcher added as well.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/Iron%20Warriors/image-02-01-15-04-06_zpspsklwsf2.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Archived