The Apostles of Quetza : ETL V Update

• 1 month later...

A short update on what I'm working on. I've made lists of what I want to get done for each army. They likely could be added too, but here they are .... 

The Apostles of Quetza:

Demi-Company and Librarian Conclave Formations.

Chaplain 
3 Tactical Squads
1 Assault Squad
1 Devastator Squad
.....and probably a Dreadnaught. Because ....seriously, how friggin cool would an Aztec Dreadnaught look?

Here's the beginning of the first tactical squad....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JgkczdydpYE/VqgfornV07I/AAAAAAAACnw/W6LMU_s0ua4/s1600/AoQTac0101.jpg

And for El Presidente and the lads of the Tropico Achepeligo...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q0GiQn7Pgvc/Vqgjj2sfSpI/AAAAAAAACoM/TF2u4-tvGaw/s1600/Tropico40k.jpg

El Presidente's HQ Command Squad

1st Platoon, 2nd Company " El Rabioso Llamas"  (the Rabid Llamas)
- Platoon HQ
-3 Infantry Squads
-1-2 Special Weapons Teams
-1-2 Heavy Weapons Teams

Defense HQ Commandos- the fabled "Los Monos Azules" (the Blue Monkeys)
- Veteran Squad.

East Point Elite Airborne - "Los Tucanes Furiosas " (the Raging Toucans)
-Militarum Tempestus Platoon
-2 Valkyrie

El Presidente's Special Brute Squad "Los Cerdos Enojados" (The Angry Pigs)
-Ogryn Squad.

As much as I don't want to buy a bunch of new models, these guys will likely need some heavy support. Hmmm... a T-34 Leman Russ? Viva Tropico!

Speaking of NOT spending money...... I did order these from Maxmini. Couldn't help myself. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GQI5MGmnes0/Vqgg0V9Sz_I/AAAAAAAACn4/tZ3XFP0YfQA/s1600/AKmaxmini.jpg

And I may sculpt a beard on El Presidente.  Because.... 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sjpoSKMKD-U/VqghwrjYzaI/AAAAAAAACoA/4rFiGe0tQFA/s1600/Elprez02.jpg

Mosesgunn- Thanks, man! I'm looking forward to the Tropico army too. I'll be working on minis instead of playing the game for hours at a stretch. I'm actually hoping to base and prime the Raging Toucans this coming week. And ...uh yikes...that Tropican Flag showed up a bit bigger than intended on that post too... it screams "VIVA TROPICO!!!!!!"

I bought a set of Lizardmen (many moons ago when I was - once again- flirting with the idea of Warhammer Fantasy) the bits could be used, but they are a bit clunky, wide and out of scale, to be honest. It also screams to me "HEY! That marine is carrying a lizardman's sword!" rather than something more unique. Some of the newer Lizardman (or whatever they are renamed these days) stuff looks like it might be usable, so one never knows what I might impulse buy. Probably why I have two dresser drawers full of bitz in plastic bags. After spending much of the last month only researching on this project when I had time, thanks to those pesky jobs that get in the way of my hobby, some of the lizard man heads could come in useful as masks on the helmets, etc. It really comes down to whether I think I can sculpt something better and more fitting to try to take the "easy" road... which sometimes takes is actually the hard road. Example, a few nights ago I did an experiment with a marine helmet and an old plastic skull- cutting and splicing the two plastic pieces together- wasted about 30+ minutes, but got it looking OK. Then I took the same type of helmet and a blob of green stuff and did something I was actually pleased with- that looked like a skullfaced helmet, not a skull, hacked off and plastered on a a helmet, in about 5-10 minutes. Same with the weapons. Do I want to hack up Imperial chainswords and hand make about a dozen Macauhuitl? Not really. Makes me wish I had the stuff for resin casting. Will it make for better conversions in the long run. Most likely.

There is SO much conversion potential in this project that I'm almost scared to do it. Actually... I am scared. Mostly scared I'll knock a couple out of the park and phone it in on the basic troops. I'm going to really try hard to give them all my best effort. How long its going to take is anyone's guess. If the B&C gang wanted to start a pool on whether or not I can actually get the Demi-Company done by October, I'd say right now.... put me down for $2 as a "no".... but that's still the deadline I'm shooting for. msn-wink.gif

Beard, clearly a great option!

The skull/helmet combo can work but takes a bit of love ( did it myself on my Calgar counts as and terminator seargent) and frankly my green stuff foo is lacking for fine detail work like that!

But really looking forward to seeing where this goes fella, bring it!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. Most of my hobby time has been consumed by getting bases done for the Apostles. 

crackedbases01.jpg

I've also decided to use this creep I had started for my Chaos army and use him as some funky familiar/attendant to the librarians. What I have so far....

creepAoQ.jpg

And an idea of what I plan to do with him......

azteccreep.jpg

Basically, he'll be a test dummy for some of the sculpting I want to do on the marines and a paint test dummy for colors, techniques, tattoos/warpaint, etc.  That's it for now, hopefully after the retail hell that is Valentine's Day weekend, I'll have more to post. Lord knows I'll need the hobby time.

This just in.... my arms shipment from Poland. ;)   The Tropican infantry now has weapons. 

AKS.jpg

Should be about as fun as pulling you nails off with a pair of pliars to sculpt all the ammo packs for these.  Test models coming soon.

On one hand, I know I will see wonderful things in this plog that will be inspirational.  On the other, there will be stuff that makes me look at my own stuff and consider binning it.

*sighs and hits the subscribe button* :D

On one hand, I know I will see wonderful things in this plog that will be inspirational. On the other, there will be stuff that makes me look at my own stuff and consider binning it.

*sighs and hits the subscribe button* biggrin.png

I'm going to take that as a compliment and hope I can live up to the expectations. *humble smile*

As for the rest... That's pretty much how I felt when I signed on to B&C years ago. In the meantime, especially with all of the modeling challenges (all of which I believe I have failed miserably to meet the deadlines) I have learned a great deal here and through people's blogs. I've learned different techniques, how to sculpt and always....always happily take constructive criticism. Just keep practicing and practicing. and practicing....and practicing.... and practicing.....

I'm actually thinking I might post some pictures of any epic failures that happen along the way (and they will happen) I just always forget to shoot pics, because I'm "in the zone" Lord knows, we all make mistakes, but.... we all learn by doing. :)

Excellent work, thus far. Are the guardsmen's weapons lasguns with a curved battery- possibly to better absorb impacts when the weapon is used in melee combat, e.g., to deliver a buttstroke- or to increase its shot capacity? Or autoguns that fire bullets, maybe with Strength 3 and AP 6?

As for beards, see the beards navy servicemen are allowed to keep- short and narrow, so they may fit under a protective mask (what civilians mistakenly refer to as "gas masks"). As an Astra Militarum officer, El Presidente WILL have to fight in toxic environments, after all.

Excellent work, thus far. Are the guardsmen's weapons lasguns with a curved battery- possibly to better absorb impacts when the weapon is used in melee combat, e.g., to deliver a buttstroke- or to increase its shot capacity? Or autoguns that fire bullets, maybe with Strength 3 and AP 6?

As for beards, see the beards navy servicemen are allowed to keep- short and narrow, so they may fit under a protective mask (what civilians mistakenly refer to as "gas masks"). As an Astra Militarum officer, El Presidente WILL have to fight in toxic environments, after all.

The guns go "pew-pew.pew-pew pew" or pewpewpewpewpewpppeew" and are fired in the "spray and pray" style of marksmanship taught at the East Point Academy on Tropico. The only thing toxic about Crixus is being around Penultimo on Taco Tuesday, but otherwise they wear glass fishbowls like in the 1950's sci-fi movies. cool.png Besides, El Presidente has to ooooooze machisimo, its the only way to keep his men in line.huh.png

The guns go "pew-pew.pew-pew pew" or pewpewpewpewpewpppeew" and are fired in the "spray and pray" style of marksmanship taught at the East Point Academy on Tropico. The only thing toxic about Crixus is being around Penultimo on Taco Tuesday, but otherwise they wear glass fishbowls like in the 1950's sci-fi movies. cool.png Besides, El Presidente has to ooooooze machisimo, its the only way to keep his men in line.huh.png

So the Astra Militarum members wield lasguns, and wear full void suits (what we call "spacesuits") when fighting in toxic environments. Tropico must be a wealthy planet to be able to afford the latter- or el Presidente decided to give his regiment void suits the way M2 and M3 dictators give favored officers Mercedes Benz ground cars and gold-plated weapons, i.e., to demonstrate personal wealth.

My last post was indeed meant as a compliment, as your Templars of Doom and prior Quetza threads have been quite impressive.  I'm fairly confident (if not sometimes overly confident) in my conversion abilities, it's the sculpting and painting that trips me up. 

Those AK-47 sculpts are pretty chunky compared to the SVD the guy on the right is sporting.

My last post was indeed meant as a compliment, as your Templars of Doom and prior Quetza threads have been quite impressive. I'm fairly confident (if not sometimes overly confident) in my conversion abilities, it's the sculpting and painting that trips me up.

Those AK-47 sculpts are pretty chunky compared to the SVD the guy on the right is sporting.

The compliments are always welcomed. They usually help me keep going in the hobby room, since I don't play much anymore. But seriously... I used to suck big donkey butt at sculpting, its all about practicing and challenging yourself. I'll be sculpting a LOT of feathers and detail stuff on this project, most of which scares the jumblies out of me... but I'm gonna do it anyways.

Yeah, they are a bit chunky on the height. But scale wise they are pretty good. I thought about messing with them a bit, but they are not very wide, so pinning them is tough and you never want to just super glue them, because bits will fall off on the table top. The Orky Mek in me says "Pin everythin'!" even plastics. Its not unlike the building a tree house with 20 pieces of lumber and 6592 nails. smile.png

I can't believe I missed this. My own chapter have some similar roots, but I toned the theme way down. You, however, are the master of crazy over-the-top awesomeness, so I love seeing some of the ideas I toyed with coming to life in your own marines. Really, really fun stuff. 

And those bases from Dragonforge are great. If I didn't already have a basing theme I may well have gone for it. 

Where did you get the head for the sergeant, by the way? 

Archived