The Apostles of Quetza : ETL V Update

Yup, terracotta done. great look! can't wait to see how you portray the jade.

And great respect on moving them on to new home. I absolutely can't part with any of mine, even the terrible, terrible minis from the 80's ( well the mini's were great, but my painting, not so much) all still in a box!

I'm torn between two approaches to the jade. Either the pieces of jade (like the mask below) or the stone pattern. Both would be equally time consuming and piddly, but the end result would be different than your average  flat color marines.

jade001.jpg

What do ya'll think?  Any preferences from the masses. 

Yup, terracotta done. great look! can't wait to see how you portray the jade.

And great respect on moving them on to new home. I absolutely can't part with any of mine, even the terrible, terrible minis from the 80's ( well the mini's were great, but my painting, not so much) all still in a box!

I'm torn between two approaches to the jade. Either the pieces of jade (like the mask below) or the stone pattern. Both would be equally time consuming and piddly, but the end result would be different than your average  flat color marines.

jade001.jpg

What do ya'll think?  Any preferences from the masses. 

Might as well use both; your tactical Marines wear stone masks, but your Veteran Sergeants wear jade masks as a sign of rank.

I love the jade, but that'd probably be more work than the stone. Doing the mask jade on the helmets and the rest in the stone like txture would work. thumbsup.gif

I think that'be the test model, hopefully I can get one done this weekend amidst the gardening and honey-do list.

I painted for a couple hours tonight. Drove myself nearly insane, but did not manage to throw the miniature across the room.  I came to the conclusion that the mask pattern is just too busy, so I'm going to do the faux stone texture.  After a few attempts and screw ups I came up with the basic tone of the jade, but still have to do the details.  At least you can get an idea of how the colors will play together. Still have the details to do, but this gives me a point where I could conceivably assembly line the remaining marines in my vow and get their base colors on, before I detail them..  That very well might be the next step.  But here's where I'm at now. I think the tones work well together. There are so many jades to choose from.

jademar01.jpg

The shoulder plate is likely to have more colors on it to represent the rainbow wings of the Quetzacoatyl. Of maybe irridecents.  Still playing with that idea.

Do you think the right pauldron (shoulder armor) will look good with golden molecular bonding studs?

Anyways, I think the left pauldron is fine as it are- at most give it the marbling we sometimes see on real jade. The rainbow colors are probably best reserved for a back banner- if you want rainbow wings, maybe you should use parts from a Dark Angels kit to give the Marine wings (see Polish "winged hussars" for inspiration).

Do you think the right pauldron (shoulder armor) will look good with golden molecular bonding studs?

Anyways, I think the left pauldron is fine as it are- at most give it the marbling we sometimes see on real jade. The rainbow colors are probably best reserved for a back banner- if you want rainbow wings, maybe you should use parts from a Dark Angels kit to give the Marine wings (see Polish "winged hussars" for inspiration).

It'll depend on how the "marbling" or stone effects go (probably tomorrow night) I might keep it all a solid color. There are a LOT of cool ideas in the Meso-American stable, but painting them in 28mm scale isn't always practical...especially if you don't want eh model to get too "busy" looking. But yeah... sometimes less is more. It wouldn't be the first time my ideas got a head of what will work on the miniature. wacko.png

Yeah it looks great. That bonding-studs-in-gold idea is very appropriate, given that gold was one of the few metals the meso-americans had access to. Perhaps you could even do the bolter casings in obsidian, while the muzzle and cartridges are gold too?!

Yeah it looks great. That bonding-studs-in-gold idea is very appropriate, given that gold was one of the few metals the meso-americans had access to. Perhaps you could even do the bolter casings in obsidian, while the muzzle and cartridges are gold too?!

No, make the bolt SHELL obsidian, in case the Marines encounter Westerosi Daemonhosts.

Or that, but wasnt it so that Rednekk already wanted to do the casings obsidian...?

Yup, weapon casings will be obsidian. The jade may get a bit more detailing, but in looking at it today it hits pretty close to what I want. There will be some washing and semi-gloss layers to give it depth. I thought of going with a more 'yellow" green rather than the blue, but these two colors play off each other perfectly (even on the color wheel) I like the idea of the gold studs. Where the project is at at the moment is this: Now that I've figured out the basic colors and how to get them, I'll be painting all of the marines in a assembly line to get the two basic colors on, then I'll go by squad to get the details. I still have to build 1 assault marine, figure out how I want to paint backpacks/jumppacks and then scratch build all the hand weapons for the assault squad. I think it may be doable by August 15. smile.png I hope. But I have a better plan that last year. Barring injury or natural disasters, I should be in line to actually completer a challenge for one. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I painted for a couple hours tonight. Drove myself nearly insane, but did not manage to throw the miniature across the room.  I came to the conclusion that the mask pattern is just too busy, so I'm going to do the faux stone texture.  After a few attempts and screw ups I came up with the basic tone of the jade, but still have to do the details.  At least you can get an idea of how the colors will play together. Still have the details to do, but this gives me a point where I could conceivably assembly line the remaining marines in my vow and get their base colors on, before I detail them..  That very well might be the next step.  But here's where I'm at now. I think the tones work well together. There are so many jades to choose from.

jademar01.jpg

The shoulder plate is likely to have more colors on it to represent the rainbow wings of the Quetzacoatyl. Of maybe irridecents.  Still playing with that idea.

Yeah this is gorgeous!

Definitely working!

Oh man I'm digging this! Great concept and that stone texture it looking fantastic. Just goes to show that even if you're working in earthy colors, you can still get good color without it getting all muddy. Can't wait to see more!

Yup, really coming together chap, and i reckon once all the details and weapons are picked out they will look epic.

not a bad shout on the rainbow pattern either - that could be really nice!

What colour eye lenses are you going to be going with though....??

Well, gang.... after some quick checking of references of feathery birds and Aztec stuff, I came up with this mock -up in photoshop.  C&C welcome.

rainbowshoulder01%2Bcopy.jpg

Nighthunters: Probably red on the eye lenses.

Archived