The Apostles of Quetza : ETL V Update

Yeah that looks spot on colour wise.

I thought you may say red, should look good but do keep an open mind, for some reason I am not sure red is the way to go. Not that I know what the way to go is but will think on it.

Thanks gang for the input....as always!! The painted version will look different (hoping to get to it tonight during our Tropical Storm) but I definitely want to go red-yellow-green. It fits the Quetza colors really well. The transition won't be so "airbrushy"... I'm actually thinking of it more as colored stones or gems.  I'll probably finish that one marine up as a reference marine and do a bunch of base colors tonight. I'll get some pictures up later, probably in the wee hours US-EST.

Alright gang. Here's the test marine. His base will get some static grass and dead leaves eventually. While doing the backpack, I figured out how to cut a step or two out of both my color processes, so that bodes well for getting the whole lot done. I also got some base colors on another 10 marines, so hopefully around the weekend or so, I should have the Razorback squad done and be on to the next batch.

AoQTac0107.jpg

AoQTac0108.jpg

He looks fricking wicked! Love the colour scheme. The rainbow colour could do with some purple somehow?

Nitpick: what happened to his left hand? I immediately had a sense of 'thee's something off' about him - and I realized his left hand has lost all terracotta colour. That needs to be fixed! 

He looks fricking wicked! Love the colour scheme. The rainbow colour could do with some purple somehow?

Nitpick: what happened to his left hand? I immediately had a sense of 'thee's something off' about him - and I realized his left hand has lost all terracotta colour. That needs to be fixed! 

I did the hands in black and  the plate on the top of the hand in terracotta. I might change it, but that's why it looks that way. :)

I did the hands in black and the plate on the top of the hand in terracotta. I might change it, but that's why it looks that way. smile.png

Ah, that explains it. If that's your choice, go for it! They still look good either way. I personally would do the hands completely terracotta, as the contrast between the hand and the bolter dissipates if you do both black, while the rest of the armour contrasts so strongly with the bolter.

Oh wow, that test marine just looks spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen such a fascinating and unique colour scheme as this before, I particularly like the rainbow trim on the pad, excellent use of the extra details on that pad, very clever. :)

A quick status update on the ETL V. Things have been a little crazy here in Orlando the last few days and I've been busy with other real life stuff, but I have managed to get all of the marines for the challenge in their base terracotta color. Just flat color at the moment, but once I get the other two base colors (dark green and black).. I should be able to get all the marines to STAGE 2 and then I'll detail them in small batches. 

AoQbasiccolor2.jpg

The two basic base colors are on all of the marines for the challenge. 

Not the best picture, but an in-progress shot of the  Razorback Tactical squad. Down to detailing, fiddly bits and bases. The Jade looks very "green" in the photo, but its a solid match to the test marine. Pretty much where I want to be with actually finishing the ETL. These guys should be finished this weekend.

AoQTac0109.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no updates, gang. I've been under the weather (grandfather Nurgle is punishing me for painting loyalists).. Some progress has been made. I did some basic colors on the rest of the gang (terracotta) The razorback team is super close to done, not much sense in taking pics at this point until they are finished. It'd be  kind of like "Well, here they are without finished bases... and here thy are with finished bases. Should be done Monday/Tuesday. A bit behind where I want to be on the ETL, but I'm still in a good spot if I can eak out more hobby time around the summer time "honey -do" list.

The first  6 man Tactical (Razorback) team is done.  Well, its really a 5 man team with a special weapons option. First up, Sarge (to be named)....

AoQTac0113.jpg

Now all the guys with facepaint... Sarge and Meltaman

AoQTac0111.jpg

And the rest of the gang from different angles.

AoQTac0110.jpgAoQTac0112.jpg

A bit behind where I wanted to be with the ETL, hopefully I can still pull off 23 more marines by August 15. Now that I have the colors down, I'm fairly optimistic.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/jShr8wkP38XTO/giphy.gif

I... I have no words... Those Marines are breath-taking, the jade-&-terracotta of the armour, the red-&-black face paint, the rainbow scales on their left pauldron trim, it's all too good!

giphy.gif

You simply must send some pictures of them to the White Dwarf team, I can't imagine any possible way they could refuse featuring your Apostles in their next issue! :D

http://media3.giphy.com/media/jShr8wkP38XTO/giphy.gif

I... I have no words... Those Marines are breath-taking, the jade-&-terracotta of the armour, the red-&-black face paint, the rainbow scales on their left pauldron trim, it's all too good!

giphy.gif

You simply must send some pictures of them to the White Dwarf team, I can't imagine any possible way they could refuse featuring your Apostles in their next issue! biggrin.png

Thanks so much!! But, those aftermarket shoulder plates might disqualify them from White Dwarf. ;)

Archived