The Apostles of Quetza : ETL V Update

Looks like a promising start. Very curious to see how this jade turns out.

I'm just hoping his marines don't all turn out cross-eyed, like the guy with the mask. msn-wink.gifbiggrin.png

If I was actually playing the game these days it'd be a great explanation for my usual dice rolling though

I just noticed this:

Sgt201.jpg

Those are Puppetswar bastet shoulder pads aren't they? I'm surprised at how small they are compared to normal marine pads.

They are these   http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=130

They are abit small. Sometimes you have to scrape or file some material out of the inside to get them to fit good. But otherwise an excellent product.

Hopefully by the end of the week... though I seem to be having one of those weeks that is just filling up, on top of having some tourist pestilence that is going around the happiest place on Earth. I'm approaching this army (or attempting to) in a different way- for me. Instead of a "test model" I'm doing a test squad. AND I'm going to try to paint them by units, instead of individual models. Usually, I'll get bogged down in the foot schlaggers (for example- my Templars of DOOoom infantry are... to this day... unfinished) Since the end result is to sell/ find another home for this particular army I'm trying to keep it from falling into

I like it!

really interested in how these come together!

FTE

I'm interested too. The whole Terracota thing could be done very easily or could be deceptively hard. I haven't had time to sit down and find out which its going to be yet. Either way, the intent is not to settle for "good enough" The jade, well... to get it right... that is bound to have a level of mind numbing detail and ultimate suckocity, but I knew what I was signing up for when I started this mess. msn-wink.gif

the "I'll hopefully finish it sometime before I die" category.

• 2 weeks later...

RIGHT. Here's some Terracotta.  I'm notoriously bad at the step by step, so bear with me.   I started with a Terracotta craft paint. The closest thing GW has is Skrag Brown, which is a bit on the "yellow" side.  If you can orange it up a little, it'd be a good substitute. The crafties tend to be a bit thick, so you have to go with a couple thinned coats. If/when the bottle gets down by a third I plan to mix in acrylic matte medium and mix it. Then it'll be perfect.  After the base color (which is just beautiful for this project) I applied a custom mix of shades, which are basically Fuegan Orange, Seraphim Sepia, Ogryn Flesh and something else to get a darker tone of the Terracotta.  On the left is the base coat, right is after the shade wash.

tercotta01.jpg

Then, I used the original craftie color and GW Screaming Skull/Bleached Bone mixed together as needed for the tone I wanted on a dry pallette (and my left thumb). Basically dry brushed.  A little of that Terracotta wash to darken a few recesses and there I stopped.  On the Left is Optional Steve with the highlighting and on the right is Melta Bob with just the wash.

tercotta02.jpg

That's where they'll stand until I get the jade parts done, then they will be some detailing/Weathering on each model. Turned out to be a pretty easy process, so I'll probably start assembly lining the base colors on the rest of the regular troops.  In the reverse of my normal approach to most armies, I'm saving the characters for last.  Usually I do them first then have no patience to finish the rank and file, so I'm saving them as a "reward" for the end. :) 

Cheers Ya'll!

Dude. I think you really have something going here. I really like that you challenged yourself and seem to be commited to actually doing an army of these. The process seems simple enough, and the results look great. I do prefer the non-drybrushed final guy on the right, though, as the drybrushing seems a little too rough for my taste. 

Please finish these guys first to show yourself, and us, how the final marine will look. 

Keep it up, bud! :tu:

Dude. I think you really have something going here. I really like that you challenged yourself and seem to be commited to actually doing an army of these. The process seems simple enough, and the results look great. I do prefer the non-drybrushed final guy on the right, though, as the drybrushing seems a little too rough for my taste. 

Please finish these guys first to show yourself, and us, how the final marine will look. 

Keep it up, bud!

The whole thing still needs some tweeking, but the final product (once detailed will be the usual gritty thing I do.   What I'm after with  the terracotta parts is this... for an end result. 

terracotta1.jpg

Still a bit to go.

I understand, and that'd be great to copy. But I do think that effect is somewhere between the two examples you provided. Certainly the drybrushed one is too gritty, while the other one is too smooth. Keep it up. :)

I understand, and that'd be great to copy. But I do think that effect is somewhere between the two examples you provided. Certainly the drybrushed one is too gritty, while the other one is too smooth. Keep it up. smile.png

I would agree.

I'm going to follow this thread. The idea is great, and I hope to see you complete the project. I do have one question however. Why not Blood Angels, a Furioso dreadnaught, as a jaguar warrior would be awesome. You know the whole blood bit.

I'm going to follow this thread. The idea is great, and I hope to see you complete the project. I do have one question however. Why not Blood Angels, a Furioso dreadnaught, as a jaguar warrior would be awesome. You know the whole blood bit.

At this point it could be played a number of ways with different books.  The Idea of the Jaguar Warriors as elites led me to do them as terminators. The idea is that being a Jaguar Warrior is like terminator honors... so  most any Dreadnaught would be a Jaguar Warrior. As for the overall army, initially I was shooting for a detachment, but really its all about building and painting the models I have on hand.  Eventually, I'll be looking to find a home for them, since I really don't play anymore

• 2 weeks later...

The Apostles are in the ETL V. Two tactical squad and an assault squad. Here's the first update. Terracotta is done, save final weathering (though I did some around the feet) on the Razorback team.

AoQTac0105.jpg

And a close-up....

AoQTac0106.jpg

Next comes the jade.   Cheers Ya'll!

The Marines look better than I expected. (Terracotta is NOT commonly used for Marines, after all.) Will you add their backpacks later, or are they wearing a special pattern of power armor with integral (built in) power plants?

Thanks! Yeah, I do the backpacks separate. :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. It took a little fiddling around, but I seem to have the process down for the Terracotta pretty good. Now I have to figure out how I want to do the jade parts. I haven't decided on a solid color area or a pattern that looks like the jade has been laid down in small pieces.  I'll be messing around with both looks over the next few days.

They look beautiful, dude. Great work. I also love that you will look for a new home for them. It's a good system for hobbysists that enjoy painting and building, but not necessarily play the game. thumbsup.gif

Thanks mate! I had to figure that terracotta out after your last comments. The more I looked at it the more I saw what you were getting at. Always good to have another set of eyes. One of the many great things about the B&C.

Well.... I hate to admit it, but I'm getting older. :) I've been at this particular hobby since 1992 and model building since 1977 (when I was 9... yeah, I'm old) So, I have all of these miniatures which I love to build and paint... and some, like my Raptors and the Templars of DOOooom who have seen some battle that I'm sure can be useful to someone. Its one of the things I absolutely love about forums like this... that you connect with people all over the world with the same passion. I haven't figured out the best way to adopt them out yet (I loath E-Bay)... and would much rather they go to someone I know will enjoy them.

Yup, terracotta done. great look! can't wait to see how you portray the jade.

And great respect on moving them on to new home. I absolutely can't part with any of mine, even the terrible, terrible minis from the 80's ( well the mini's were great, but my painting, not so much) all still in a box!

Archived