The Apostles of Quetza : ETL V Update

I can't believe I missed this. My own chapter have some similar roots, but I toned the theme way down. You, however, are the master of crazy over-the-top awesomeness, so I love seeing some of the ideas I toyed with coming to life in your own marines. Really, really fun stuff. 

And those bases from Dragonforge are great. If I didn't already have a basing theme I may well have gone for it. 

Where did you get the head for the sergeant, by the way? 

I have a long love affair with Meso-American art and imagery dating back to college (which, sadly, was 20 years ago)  I've had this kind of thing in mind for a good bit of that time, but never thought my abilities were up to doing the task justice. So, now I'm giving it a shot.  Of course, the hardest part is the nagging whispers in my ear from the Dark Gods asking me to make Apostles that have fallen from the Emperor's light. Hmmmmmm...

Its a bit unrelated to the Apostles or the Tropican Guard.  My college room mate sent me a photo of these guys, who he still has.  This is the first squad of Marines I painted in 1992. It gained the name "The 'Ef off and Die!" squad, in its rust desert camoflage.  Its neat to see how far I've come since then. But... part of me would love to do a modern version of these guys. 

FOADOrig.jpg

^^ While modern logic or history doesn't really apply after 40 millennia, and as such I wouldn't call naming a 40K Space Marine Chapter after a 1K god from a relatively minor culture an 'obvious' choice, it certainly would be a cool one ;)

Cool update, RNB! I got into the hobby in a time when the RTB01 set´s release was a very recent -and already fond- memory, and unfortunately they were all sold out by then. Internet wasn't a thing yet, and when I got back into the hobby, they were all gone. Gone! Good to see yours painted up in such a cool scheme! Please do a reincarnation of them. :)

Considering the color scheme, the most obvious choice for this Chapter's name would be "Sons of Huitzilopochtli" (the Aztec sun god).

Nothing quite so serious with these guys.  At the time, they were a band of misfits and malcontents from various Chapters that were put together and sent on a penance crusade ... or whoever would pay them to help.  Those were the Rogue trader days. I still like the idea of a Marine force like that... led by an Inquisitor.

Here's an update on my creepy Meso-American shaman-creep.  The main layer of feathers and animal skins are done. I still have to do more of the headress and figure I might add some other details, skull fetishes, etc.  But... progress so far...

aztecreep01.jpg

Since I ALWAYS mix too much greenstuff and need to let things dry, I worked on a couple other things. I finished up the Sergeant for the Apostles of Quetza Terminator squad.

Termsgt001.jpg

AND... did another Tactical Squad Sergeant....

Sgt201.jpg

That's it for now.  Should be more later this week.   Cheers Ya'll!

Funny enough, this is the second Mesoamerican themed force I've seen within the last few years on B&C, the first being my own.  What's really cool is how we both arrived at similar color palettes, though mine has taken a significant change.  Here is my IA http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/230896-ia-five-suns/ for shiggles, lol.  Oh, and here's Winterdyne's execution of the new scheme.  Feel free to snag any ideas from anything he's done so far!  I really dig what you've got going on!

Funny enough, this is the second Mesoamerican themed force I've seen within the last few years on B&C, the first being my own.  What's really cool is how we both arrived at similar color palettes, though mine has taken a significant change.  Here is my IA http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/230896-ia-five-suns/ for shiggles, lol.  Oh, and here's Winterdyne's execution of the new scheme.  Feel free to snag any ideas from anything he's done so far!  I really dig what you've got going on!

Some cool looking stuff. Jade is almost a gimme with this kind of theme, even if only for decoration. I think the jade greens should play well with terracotta/reddish browns. I plan on plenty of little detail markings too... because I'm a masochist.  Pretty stoked to get painting actually, I was thinking about that earlier tonight, but I'm forcing myself to get a decent portion of the planned army built before I do. At least 2-3 squads, so I get  "feel for the feel".  In the past my mistakes have always been to paint the characters and then loose interest in painting the rank and file, which always hits my consistancy. As cool as some of my Templars of DOOooom models are, the rank and file guys still remain unfinished. I'm going to attempt to discipline myself a bit better with this small force.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking into the the old reserve marines to fill out the demi-company. Alot of unexciting scrapping, trimming, basic assembly, etc..  the desk is s mess.  

desktop002.jpg

Sergent Quasimo came out pretty cool. Don't let that shambling gate fool ya! 

QuasiSgt01.jpg

Hopefully, the construction will be finished up this coming week and the painting can begin.  I did find out I'll have to order more shoulder plates, so I suspect a few guys will be painted without them until hobby funds become available.

Cheers ya'll!

• 2 weeks later...

Construction update.  I've run out of shoulder pads, so in the mean time, while I order some more- I'm stopping where I'm at on building the rest of the Demi-Company to get some painting going.  I've got the HQ Characters, 2 Tactical Squads and an Assault Squad done- though I still need to do hand weapons for the latter and build a Razorback.  I did some extra Sergeant options and Special weapons options too.  There's still some little green stuff details to do, but that will be one evenings work, then off to be primed.

The Razorback Team...

AoQTac0102.jpg

The Assault Squad (sorry about the quality- these guys are rehabed from a previous project, so the black primer doesn't do much for details) They still need hand weapons.

AssaultAoQ01.jpg

Redid Sergeant Quasimo as an assault sergeant option.... 

AssSgtLC01.jpg

And the rest of the Tactical marines, with some options for Sergeant and special weapons.... 

AoQTac0104.jpg

AoQTac0103.jpg

That's it for now. Next update will have some painting going on. The part I know some of you have been waiting for... and so have I. :)

Sergeant Quasimo looks like a fun guy to meet at a slice-and-dice competition.

Problem is, he tends to forget to take them off. Basically, He's a head and most of a torso.  He used to love tacos, but has nearly sliced his own head off a few times trying to eat them.  He is very popular at the annual Llama shearing competitions though. (FWIW..... I LOVE lightning claws.  They may not always be the best game option, but aside from the great luck I've had with them and they look so FRIKKIN COOOOOOOL!  - on everyone except my Khorne Terminators, that is... those guys really suck at close combat for some reason, I think Tzeentch got at their dice. Tzeentch can be a dick like that.)

I haven't come up with a name for the Razorback Sgt with the claws yet, but he's going to be stereotype Native American tough guys that can smella  dog fart at 400 yards and can feel the tremors in the earth when it stops to take a poop. Like "Billy" in "Predator". He will definitely take himself too seriously.  The Librarian conclave will be some fun too. ;)

As always, loving your stuff fella. I love that particular iteration of the Lightning claw too, far more elegant than the modern massive punch dagger look, actually look like they may be able to retract those blades and use their hands, for say pulling a grenade pin or similar!

As always, loving your stuff fella. I love that particular iteration of the Lightning claw too, far more elegant than the modern massive punch dagger look, actually look like they may be able to retract those blades and use their hands, for say pulling a grenade pin or similar!

Old metal Terminator Lightning Claws. I got a blister pack for them years ago. Pity they are no longer available at GW

The "Exciting" process of priming the models I have build is DONE. 

priming.jpg

For those that care, I do a coat of Krylon primer (rust red) and then do a heavy wash with a 50/50 brown black mixture.  For me, I like that tone to start with. I use either the rust red or grey primer. With the latter, the wash comes out near black an with the former a deep brown. It gives the acrylic paints something to hold on to without having to put a whole layer of acrylic on AND it seeps into all the recesses which may or may not have been primed.  That's my process.  I've got an extra day off from the out-of-the-house job this week, so I'm hoping to get some base colors laid in and a spec model underway by mid week. So... keep a weather eye.

Cheers Ya'll!

That's a great terracotta colour. I'm looking forward to how it will look with jade green on it!

Glad you got over the flu, btw. I think I have it now.

I start most of my models with that base color (or a bit darker), but yeah... its a great base color for terracotta. Some dry brushing and such and it should be good to go. I'm hoping it will speed the painting process a bit, since there are tortoises in the Galopogas Islands that have painted armies in a faster time frame than I usually do. wacko.png

That flu is catchy if you caught it all the way over there?!?! I'd send you some chicken soup, but it might get stuck in customs fro a month or two. :) Get better, mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Blocked in some basic under colors, so you get an idea of the armor paint scheme.  Still alot of detailing to do.  I decided mid way through I'll be doing the ranged weapons casings in obsidian instead of jade. 

AoQbasiccolor.jpg

But here's some real world examples of what I'm after in an end result with those two colors.  

jadeterracotta.jpg

More to come. Cheers Ya'll!

Archived