How do you name your chapters / companies again?

So I can use Captain Gelen and his chapter like I would like to?

Any specifications I need to bear in mind while writing about him / your Legion in Tohos fluff?

Would it be ok if I name him Arjac Gelen? A giant, even for an Astartes, Arjac was a veteran of countless skirmishes and he had seen more battlefields than he could remember. Deriving from Terra itself and accompanied by a cadre of battle-hardened veterans since the first days of the Great Crusade, Arjacs was tasked to bring the southern regions of the Domain of Storms into compliance. While the northern Domain was secured by the Predators Legion, the southern still bear threats and never before seen races.

Edited by Kelborn

I have a very strong disdain and dislike for the Space Wolves so I'm not for having a character having the same name as one of their special Characters

Ajax could work becuase its suitably Greek-ish.

The size thing is also potentially an issue since ALL the Iron Bears (iirc) are larger-than-normal size Astartes. I dunno, I'm not really a fan of "Hes a Captain who stands out especially because hes lerger than normal!" Possibilities ie Alexis Polux of the Imperial Fists; its his only feature that I dislike.

Also, if you can find the excel sheet someone oosted a while back with Company/Battalion/Chapter/etc. Names in it, the Scions section is filled out. I dont remember who originally posted it and where though!

Edited by Slipstreams

My intention was that Galen could be resembling the Greek Ajax. Instead of using his name, I though an aberration like Ajac or Arjacs would be ok. If Ajax is ok nevertheless, I'll use it.

Same with his size.

As its your Legion and if you don't want that, I'll adapt, of course. Maybe he'll be clad in Terminator armor instead of making him bigger than normal marines. If I remember it correctly, you prefer Tartaros pattern because of its streamlined and modern form, correct?

TDA should be fine enough for me; we only have one actual character in TDA anyways.

For which pattern, Ill leave that to you since you can streamline any pattern (look at the Cataphractii Primus FW is selling. Fix the shoulders and legs and BAM perfect).

Edited by Slipstreams

[it took three tries, but I'm finally here.]

The Phantoms

Comparison Base: Dark Fury Assault Squad (175 pts)

Attributes

• +1 UNIT WS: 10 points
  • +1 SGT WS: 5 points

Total: 15 points

Wargear

• No SGT Artificer Armour: (-10) Points
  • Obscura-Pattern JP: 5 points * 5 = 25 points
  • Shroud Bombs: 20 points
  • Hooknet & Lancea (Hinder) vs. Raven's Talons (Rending & Master-Crafted): -15 points * 5 = (-60) points

Total: (-25) points

Special Rules

• Furious Charge vs Sudden Strike: (-5) points

Total: (-5) points

Total cost: 160 points

Notes: 

• For the Obscura JP, I subtracted the cost from a normal JP and removed an additional 5 points since Fateful Descent has the same bonus as Shrouded when Deep Striking. 
  • Why does the unit have Shroud Bombs?
  • Note to self: be wary of Raven's Talons. They really swung the calculations. Overall, I think I'm satisfied with the results. 

Shroud bombs are defensive grenades that you can use to gain shrouded for a full game turn (iirc). So something they can use to give them a defensive buff after theyve used their jump packs effect. Edited by Slipstreams

I honestly just went "well they have no real shooting to speak of and are likely to be down range ASAP so might as well give them something to help them survive longer."

Or, they use them to confuse the enemy when "SUDDENLY SMOKE GRENADES!" Happens and they just charge through it and skewer their targets and/or provide cover on their approach.

Also makes charges difficult terrain (-2"), iirc, which they themselves mostly ignore but can use to their advantage when faced with other CC punchers.

Note to self: go through all the scions rules/wargear/characters and either reduce or eliminate the amount of redundancy, overlap or overcomplication present therein.

Why? Because I read the book 1 pdf and went "damn slips you went legit overboard with a LOT of this stuff" now that hindsight is in effect.

I mean the revision is part of that process anyways so it comes out to roughly the same result.

Mostly its just wording issues with how clunky Ive made stuff sound.

I honestly just went "well they have no real shooting to speak of and are likely to be down range ASAP so might as well give them something to help them survive longer."

Or, they use them to confuse the enemy when "SUDDENLY SMOKE GRENADES!" Happens and they just charge through it and skewer their targets and/or provide cover on their approach.

Also makes charges difficult terrain (-2"), iirc, which they themselves mostly ignore but can use to their advantage when faced with other CC punchers.

Alright, something practical given their role. Do you approve of the price tag?

The Depthstriders

Comparison Base: Red Butchers (275 pts)

Attributes

• +1 UNIT LD: 10 points

Total: 10 points

Wargear

• Volkite Charger vs. Combi-bolter: 7 Points * 5 = 35 points
  • Wave Blade vs. Power Axe: 30 points

Total: 65 points

Special Rules

• Fearless = Fearless
  • Night Vision vs. Hatred (Everything): (-5) points
  • Monster Hunter vs. FNP (6+): 5 points
  • Chosen of Pionus: 5 points
  • Ravening Madmen/Unstoppable Charge = 10 points

Total: 20 points

Total cost: 95 points

Recommend overall cost: 370

Notes: 

• That Wave Blade is responsible for a third of the boost, while the chargers are a responsible for the other third. Otherwise, the units are relatively close together. 
Edited by simison

The Wave Blades for the Depthstriders should be an Upgrade Option and not standard issue. They should have Power Weapons instead. That said, IIRC, the upgrade option is pretty cheap (10-15 points) so I'd boost that to 20-25 points.

What does IIRC mean? 

Removing the Wave Blade on the Divemaster brings the unit down to 340 points. How is that?

And we'll bump up the Wave Blade to 20 points per blade. A power weapon costs 15, while the Wave Blade costs 45 points. So, while the standard difference would be 30 points, I'll knock off an extra 10 points to show that the Depthstriders are regularly supplied with Wave Blades and to offset the high cost for the unit.