TALE - The Reunited Family

simison

FLUFF
Primarch: Raktra Akarro
Homeworld: Uran
Legion: VII

History: The gestation pod that housed the infant Primarch landed in the centre of a prison complex, obliterating a large portion of the structure with the impact of its landing and causing a mass breakout. As is typical of many large prisons, several dozen gangs had formed during their incarceration, one in particular calling themselves "The Children of Desolation". Basing their faith on the belief that the haunting creatures colloquially named 'angels' that prowled the skies of Uran, descending upon the native humans at random for unknown purposes, were the heralds of apocalypse and the end of all life, they alone searched for the reason why their confines had been destroyed. Coming across the infant Primarch emerging from his capsule and tearing dozens of unnameable tubes from his flesh, they swept him away with them as they found a hiding place to lay low.
As time passed on, the young Raktra grew quickly, as all Primarchs did, and was soon strong enough to ram his fist completely through the body of the largest of creatures that opposed The Children and tear their hearts out in one swift motion. Witnessing his incredible development and terrifying strength, The Children began to herald him as their messiah, following his word and emulating his actions. Of course, being a child raised on the actions of psychotic death row criminals obsessed with their own impending doom, these actions became the stuff of underground nightmares before long. Eventually The Children began to impose their wills on the other gangs from the breakout, tracking them down and either threatening them into compliance or, more commonly, taking their loyalty by force. Raktra himself would challenge the ringleaders to personal combat, brutally crushing them and burning their bodies to ash to be used in The Children's tradition of marking one's flesh with the remains of their foes. By the time Raktra's outlaws were ready to take their first city, he had tattooed himself so heavily with the ashes of his victims that his flesh was permanently stained the grubby white of old snow.

Within the space of a few years, the vast majority of the planet was under the control of Raktra and his followers, and society showed it. The previously calm, if perpetually nervous, cities and settlements of Uran had become places of brutality and oppression, with anyone speaking out against the new regime silenced with a boot to the throat or a hammer to the temple. A sense of cold arrogance and perceived might spread throughout the populace, resulting in more and more people being stolen away by the Angels as they brazenly marched across previously avoided mesas and ignored warnings from spotters. Heeding the pleas of his closest advisors, Raktra gathered the most violent factions in The Children and made a declaration; they would draw them out and prove themselves to the Angels. For the first time in the history of their world, they would kill a flight of Angels, and in doing so send a message to the bastard creatures that had plagued them for so long that they would no longer roll over and accept their threat.
   The Uran horde journeyed far and wide, desolist priests chanting rituals of warding and performing blood rituals to lend their brothers strength, the rest sharpening blades, loading guns and roaring in anticipation. Raktra stood at their head, a great motorised chain-blade shackled to his right hand and a lash of heavy chain gripped in his left. On the third day, as the sun broke through the shroud of the night, a great wind picked up around the assembled humans followed by the deafening sound of thousands of wings beating against the sky.
   The world had become a spiral of blades, claws and gunfire before a normal man could even draw breath. The Angels lay about themselves with bird-like talons, rainbow-feathered wings and gobs of unnatural flame that simultaneously burned and froze those it struck. Some where able to resist where the desolists still stood, others finding themselves mysteriously invigorated by their wounds, but most fell screaming to the dirt as their corpses crystallised. The slowly-shrinking circle of killers pulled tighter and tighter against each other, slipping over the unbelievable mound of dead and bleeding underneath their boots, and as they confined themselves to what they believed was an inevitable death, salvation came.

A ripple of discomfort ran through both the Uran and their enemies. Raktra kept his composure the best, but still felt as though his head had been submerged in icy water. Many of his men stumbled and retched, thrown into disarray, though this was nothing compared to the Angel horde. All but a small clutch of the monsters had dropped to the ground, jaws slack and limbs twitching uselessly. Barely a breath later, bolter rounds and volkite charges ripped through the monsters, inhumanly precise aim preventing any friendly fire even with the ridiculous amount of dirt and motion that surely had to be obscuring the vision of the new arrivals. With the tides turned and the Angels repelled, The Children finally got a clear view of their saviours.
Hulking, armoured warriors stamped towards them, at their head a pair of giants haloed by two opposing auras. Those of The Children who were still in control of their faculties stared in awe and dropped to their knees, all except for Raktra who approached the demigods with a curious glint in his eyes. Koschei nodded curtly to him, whilst the man in gold spread his arms and came closer.
"My son," he said. "I have found you at last."

(Insert generic learning of his origins, Emprah is Emprah, blah blah blah…)

Raktra met the already existing members of his Legion, and found himself disgusted by them. Examining their history and battle records, he saw how merciful they were in their invasions and how readily they would take and make comfortable their prisoners. Worse, he saw the glowing admiration that his supposed "father" heaped upon these actions, and felt his stomach churn. If these were to be his men, there could be no pity, no innocence. Any semblance of forgiveness had to be stamped out, by any means necessary.
New recruits were brought in from his home world and the Legion took on a shape more to his liking. The greater numbers of former members of The Children began to fill the ranks, and the combination of their violent culture and newly-enhanced bodies brought out a fire that the Uran people were keen to let wild upon the universe. Raktra, meanwhile, was versed in the ways of the Imperial armies, and educated by his Primarch brothers. Being the charmless bastard that he was, he forged few connections with those he bore genes with, and even those bonds were strained. None around him would he call "brother" - whether this spoke more of Raktra or the other Primarchs was entirely dependant on which Legionary was answering. Of those he disliked, none were more hated than the lord of the IInd, the seer Alexandros. He saw the man as everything he considered weak - small, optimistic, affable and diplomatic.

By the time they were prepared to venture out into the galaxy on their own, the VIIth Legion had transformed their colours from a gentle duck-egg blue to the greying black of burnt coal, their arms a grubby white to link themselves to their Primarch, and to better show the blood spatter from the beatings they dealt out. Raktra himself had his chain blade modified and improved by Legion artificers, naming it "the Grinder", and dressing for war in a loose-fitting suit of artificer armour that left his arms and head bare to maximise his range of motion when swinging his sword. His appearance matching his methods and his men finally suited to his needs, Raktra ordered his Legion's old name expunged from all records, to be replaced by their new title - the Berserkers of Uran.
The Crusade ground on and Raktra became more and more distant from his brothers who were less appreciative of his methods than others. While that had no direct effect on his ability to wage war, rumblings of dissent began in his own Legion. Fractures between the various chapters grew wide, morally separating the native Uran recruits and the "off-worlders". The Uran would trample over everything and everyone in their path, leaving the survivors to fend for themselves whereas the off-worlders would employ the typical Imperial tactic of rebuilding and re-educating the locals to assimilate them into the acceptable standards set down by the Emperor. Eventually the Legion barely resembled one coherent fighting force - if anything, it now operated as two demi-legions, and the gaze of the Emperor was drawn.

EDIT: Thanks for the proof-read, Skalpy.

Morro himself should be middling, but at the time of the Insurrection, he should be engorged in size, becoming monstrous. By the time of the eventual Siege; 

cthulhu-469x6161.jpg

Prior to that though, he's Primarch sized, and;

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1682607&d=1358163541

Spoilered for size.

Note; any copyright is that of the creators of the artwork. Apologies for no credit, given, I was unable to locate. I do not hold any claim to the artworks I use.

Morro himself should be middling, but at the time of the Insurrection, he should be engorged in size, becoming monstrous. By the time of the eventual Siege; 

cthulhu-469x6161.jpg

Prior to that though, he's Primarch sized, and;

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1682607&d=1358163541

Spoilered for size.

Note; any copyright is that of the creators of the artwork. Apologies for no credit, given, I was unable to locate. I do not hold any claim to the artworks I use.

YOUR PRIMARCH BECOMES C'THULU!?!? awesome.

Hectarion growled as he demolished the fourth practice cage in as many hours. Even after he'd torn the mechanisms apart, he continued to pulverise the machine until its component parts were nothing but balls of metal and wire. The Jade General, Izumras, a monicker that had stuck, always had this effect on him. Izumras brought him both peace and agony at the same time. He made Hectarion feel completely calm, obliterating the molten core of anger that lurked in the darkest parts of Hectarions heart. However, at the same time, he made Hectarion feel as though his mind was being ripped into a million pieces. Because of this, Hectation tended to try and avoid contact with his brother.

As Hectarion finished crushing the training device, another figure walked into the training deck. Hectarion grimaced as the pain returned. He didn't need to see him to know who the figure was. None the less, he turned to greet his brother. Forcing a smile, he said "Hello brother. We don't often see you down here". His brother nodded, slowly, unhurriedly and said "I profit from the moments of peace our kind find instead of preparing for the next war". As Izumras hefted one of the practice blades scaled to a primarchs size, he indicated the practice cage and said "Shall we?". Hectariom shrugged and said "If you wish", taking a practice blade for himself too. As the two began duelling, with small moves, testing the others reactions and awareness, Izumras asked "You seem pained by my presence. I thought our father banished the deamon from your soul?". Hectarion gritted his teeth as his brother made a deft strike that caught him off guard. As he responded with a series of hammer blows, he said "He did. For that I'm thankfull". Izumras nodded, as though he knew this already, and said "You have no latent pyschic ability and you are still pained by my presence. Why is that?". Hectarion shrugged as he batted aside an attempted killstrike and struck back. "I don't know. A hangover from my brush with the denizens of the Warp? Who knows". Izumras parried Hectarions strike, nodding again. Hectarion expended all of his energy on a flurry of blows that should have been kill strikes. However, the Jade General simply wove aside before coming up, his blade pointing at Hectarions throat.

Hectarion threw his practice blade down at his brothers feet and left the practice cage, walking away to some other part of the ship. The Jade General watched his brother depart. It was as he'd feared.

Nice work Sigismund !

And what can be better than Cthulhu ? A Cthulhu-Primarch is now the only answer I can think of...

Have you thought of inserting a link with the Ancients/Old Ones ?

On the one hand, I like what you've written Sigismund. 

On the other hand, I really need to start writing Jade stories. I don't think I've written a single one!

EDIT: Also, I fully support Cthuhlu-Primarch!

Ohh now I'm sad Daer'dd dies before the siege because that would be an AMAZING fight scene. Hulk vs. C'thulu.

Someone could still write out the scene. Just have a psyker trying to divine the future, see it, and go 'what the heck?'

Actually did we come to a decision on whom kills Daer'dd? I know one of the two is going to be K'awil but maybe the other could be an ascending Morrow? If the second Primarch wasn't picked.

No, I was waiting for Athrawes to give me an answer, since it'd be Icarion who is arranging the Betrayal.

Yeah the vision could work pretty well, the traitors send two brothers to take out Daer'dd because Icarion has a vision of Daer'dd slowing Morrow's terror on Terra or something like that. Plus Icarion wants him dead anyway. And okay, obviously I'm in no rush to write or read Daer'dds death haha.

Niklaas and I rarely saw each other. We are two smiths, we are bonded by blood and steel and deep admiration. His gifts to me were incredible, a small feet of Magganon superheavy artillery pieces. My Emperor's Hammer.

For him, I have something else. I've put the Demiurge clans and Mechanicum to work. But the first had a name to be attached Ehr Coram. I would build him the finest Dreadnought suit the imperium had ever seen.

I deconstructed a contemptor chassis to reenforce from the ground up, the skeletal structure was more than doubled, new muscle fiber bundles, hydraulic, pneumatic, and rail lift systems, Banded clockwork tungsten inner armour like my own. Ceramic coated enhanced ferromagnetic armour plates. Shield generators. And enough options from my Artificers that he'll wage war exactly as he sees fit. Now I question what he'll do with other 50 I was able to build for him. I think I'll call it the Kodiak pattern.

I think I'll call it the Kodiak pattern.

Oh look, it's a Kodiak moment. *flees*

You know most bears can out run horses Nah it's cool, Bears don't have a lot niffty name variations, Kodiaks are the biggest and strongest so I thought it'd be fitting. Like for example ohh I'll name some wargear a Bear Claw... Wait that's a doughnut.

According to the Wikipedia, they are Ursus arctos in scientific lingo. Or Takuqa-aq in one of the native Alaskan dialects.

In 30k pseudo Latin you coul go with Ursonigas. Ursa- bear Gigas- Giant.

Archived