TALE - The Reunited Family

simison

He mellows with age; on Zbruch he's not quite as calm and forgiving, although he still had a vision of a better world.  He remains striving for the best life for his people throughout his life, although the diplomacy he brings to the later part of the Great Crusade is partially a way for him to make up for his past actions.

As to your question, it won't be too hard to fit into your legion entry. Primarch discoveries usually get their own section complete with sub-title. In your case, to get a good beginning, first cover what status Koschei is when he's founded. Has he united his planet? How did he do so? Who was his primary opponent? Brief blurb on the history of his homeworld. 

(In my defence, all was done by 3 AM, except that last paragraph, because I suck at writing scenes that take less than months)

The world upon which the fourth primarch fell was Coaban, an ancient outpost in the Dark Age, which had fallen from grace as technology became more and more unreliable. Its very geography would prove influential on the young primarch's developments: apart from a single continent, most of the population was scattered on various archipelagos and islands, and as thus seafaring was the basis of most of Coabanite culture. It also meant that, while the continentals still had access to steam power and muskets, the insulars, whose land were poor in mineral wealth but fertile, had to keep themselves primitive technologically, if not culturally. Surprisingly, Old Night had never took hold of the ancient shipyards and refueling facilities orbiting the planet, leaving blinking lights at night that baffled astronomers and intrigued mystics for centuries. Some held beliefs that one day, these stars would fall from the skies and unto the land, bringing abundance or death. Yet what fell from the sky on that day was not one of these stars, and came from even further. The pod crashed in the seas, and would have remained there, had its trail not been spotted by fishermen, who set course to retrieve the fallen fragment of the skies. Their nets caught a gigantic hunk of metal, completely alien to the seasteading nomads. On its surface, a pane of glass revealed to them that it held a living being. Using tools normally employed to salvage wrecked ships, the crew set to liberate the one within. Much to their surprise, it was a child, whom they hailed as the Star-Born, or Sumakutaa in their language a messianic archetype prophetised to lead the people of Coaban through the sea of stars.

The young primarch's childhood was spent amongst the nomadic tribes of Helpos, his superhuman intellect and senses keen at navigation. Amongst them he was as a god, his word heeded as unquestionable wisdom even by the matriarchs. Yet there was another instinct, subconsciously bred into the Star-Born's very soul. He sought to conquer, to bring the other tribes to his fold, and make the islands where his kin sold their catch his.

He would first target small, pacifist islands, his warriors originally armed with mere repurposed harpoon-casters. Deploying en-masse from the coast, they would overwhelm their targets by sheer number of projectiles. Where he conquered, the demi-god would take no prisoners, but slaves to increase the numbers of his army, and tithe in resources for additional ships. These conquests were not his ultimate goal, but a mean to an end: returning to his home amongst the stars. As his fleets increased in strength and his warriors in ruthlessness, so did also the opposition of his ennemies. Mere wave assault would no longer suffice. The warlord established a new strategy, a development on his earlier overwhelming force, but distributed from several sides in rapid succession. The foe would be unable to react to the consecutive high-intensity attacks, and in the confusion be slaughtered to a man.

It wouldn't be long before all that stood between the Star-Born and global domination was the continent, from whom he had aquired many firearms, as their technology evolved at a quick pace and whole thousands of guns deemed “obsolete” were sold at a bargain to the nomads and islanders. Little did they know, that the “primitives” and their ancient weapons would be their own demise. War between the duchies and republics on the main landmass were things of honour, where lines would advance in spite of opposing fire without breaking formation. The primarch's hosts, now numbering in the milions, waged a long war, spanning half a decade, against militias and grenadiers, guards and legions, civilians and prisoners, until at last each state surrendered in turn. In as little as thirty-five years of constant war, the Star-Born had made Coaban his kingdom. And on that day, he chose for himself a name, one which would carry his might: Yucahu, master of the seas.

His domination asserted, Yucahu now sought to regain his birthright. He assembled engineers, powder-alchemists and astonomers and ordered them to design and build for him a ship that could travel to the “stars”, which had since then been identified as gigantic cities in the skies. He would travel there alone, and it might very well be a journey without return. Even with the primarch's superhuman abilities, such a technological endeavour took an entire decade, where previously subjugated policies fought for independence. Yet Yucahu's followers were as ruthless as he had been in his days of conquest, and the rebels were broken without a second thought. The primarch had never been one for civilian affairs, always bent on the art of logistics, strategy, tactics, and expanding, leaving the more mundane affairs to his subordinates.

When came the day for him to return where he belonged, the Star-Born decided to bid no public farewell to his people, despite popular demand. Instead he left with an invitation for them to join him. What he found in the orbital facilities was beyond all expectations: star ships, in functional order, having been deserted for unknown reasons. No life in the entire structure. How he survived, and what he did, on his stay in the station, is completely unknown, but when he returned it was at the command of an immense dropship able to carry hundreds. This was but one of his many discoveries. In one year, Coaban had turned from a galactic backwater to a civilisation with spacefaring capacities. In a decade, Yucahu had brought the nearby worlds to his fold, warships and las-weaponry a powerful dissuasion against the primitive empires of the rimward expanse. Until one day, when translating into yet another system, scanners detected ships comparable to his own. Hololithic communication proved that they were of the same species as him, and moreover that they spoke similar languages. They declared themselves to be warriors of the Empire of Mankind, in a Crusade of Unity for all humans. Rather than declaring war against these potential competitors, Yucahu demanded for a meeting. He had felt something in them, and his curiosity needed to be sated.

When visual contact was established, Yucahu was overtaken by awe. These majestic ships, bedecked in gold and sculpted eagles, were easily thrice the size of his flagship. Then the delegates of the Imperium took place onboard his vessels, coming from great shuttlecrafts. Much taller than normal humans, though not quite as much as him, and seemingly divided in two castes: golden ones, bearing spears and ornate armour, and others, clad in orange and white plates, rifles in the hands. They formed themselves in a guard of honour, through which came a true giant, the first individual of his size he had ever met. He was covered in gold, and his very presence made Yucahu feel uneasy. A beacon of light, of power surging into the depth of his soul. The stranger eschewed a salute, mimicking on his chest the shape of the two-headed eagle on his banners. He was compelled to kneel –something he had always refused to do, aware of his nature as something above humans, but the person before him was no human. He introduced himself as the Emperor of Mankind, the single most powerful conqueror in human history, who had created twenty generals to lead his forces in the conquest of the galaxy. These generals had been scattered on different worlds by an unknown accident, and Yucahu was on of them. Father-commander of the Fourth Legion, these orange warriors who called themselves the Morning Stars. He was Yucahu, the Star-Born, and these were his sons, his warriors. He told him that sixteen of his brothers were already conducting their campaigns to eradicate the inhuman, and bring light to those who were lost in the dark. Yucahu swore fealty to the Emperor, and to the Aquila on his banner. From the stars he had come, to the stars he would return. Conqueror he begun, conqueror he would end. And as a dutiful warlord, he would take the emblem of his liege.

I am surprised I even wrote that. Before, I had no real idea what I wanted Yucahu to be. Now I think I pretty much set his personality: a conqueror, a general who knows he was not made for anything but war. Not one to give himself to art, craft, or diplomacy, a kind of Ferrus in mind. He doesn't care much for honour, or for the moping up after each compliance, only for the conquest itself, the immediate victory subsequent to the battle. Land, burn, win, leave to the next system in line. He is very much a primarch who regards the Emperor as a commander rather than a father. That will show in the Exemplary Battle I have to write, where his thinking clashes with the pacifism of Gwalchavad.

Well...that reminds me.of gwalchavads past. He was very similar to your primarch but he wanted to overcome his nyture cause he realized that war breed new conflicts and that he wanted to overcome this.

I like your attempt very much.

We lacked in not-nice loyalists. I mean apart from the General and perhaps Azus or Niklaas, they all seem alright. And then you have that guy, who understands that he was born to lead his legion, that war is the only goal in his life, and who doesn't even bother making sure there's infrastructure left for re-settling. But he doesn't do it out of hatred towards anything or anyone. He legitimately believes that's what he's supposed to do, and none calls him on his actions because pre-Insurrection, Raktra and Alexos are around doing even worse.

• 2 months later...

Icarion stared into the fire. While most would see nothing there, Icarion saw his own legions destruction by his fathers custodians, a further measure to keep the ghost crusade secret. With tears beginning to form in his eyes, Icarion once again realised that what Alexos has told him made perfect sense. After all, did he spare any witnesses when his legion had cleansed a world of deamonic taint? Would his father? No. There could be no witnesses to the ghost crusade. It had to remain secret. Locked away in the dark vaults of time, unremembered by any, its veterans unable to share its secrets. Except that those veterans happened to be Icarion and his sons. Despite the logic of it, it still left a bitter taste in Icarion's mouth. Ever since he had been discovered, this had been what his father had intended to be the final act of the ghost crusade. Madrigal burned. Icarion and his sons slaughtered. Picking up a King from the "chess" set in front of him, Icarion decided that that wouldn't happen. He would raise his legion and empire in rebellion against the Emperor before that happened. However, if he was to rebel, he would need support from him brothers. Any individual rebellion would end only in death and failure. Icarion was already certain of some of his brothers allegiances. Alexos was already a traitor, worshipping the so called "Aztekis gods". A fool but a useful fool. Raktra, Morro and K'awil all despised the Emperor, despised everyone really, that would make them easy recruits. He wouldn't need to promise them anything to incite them to rebel with him. Kosja, Koschei and Izumras would take some persuading but their recent humiliation at the Vizenko prosecution should make them open to the idea. Then there was the pacifist. Icarion couldn't prevent a small sneer from marring his features at the thought of him. Gwalchavad would likely remain neutral and go back to Caerbanog to cry in a hole over the war strewn mess the galaxy had become.

Then there were the primarchs whose inclinations Icarion couldn't be certain of. Alexandros, Pionius, Jackel, Azus and Yucahu. All could be persuaded potentially with promises of a purer mankind or a more peaceful future. There was only one of his brothers who Icarion could be certain would never turn. Hectarion. Whereas Yucahu's loyalty was fuelled by a faith in the Imperium and so could be subverted, Hectarion's loyalty was far more personal, far more tribal. Hectarion would never turn as he felt that, out of all of the sons of Emperor, he had the most to prove. The only son to have been infected with a deamon, Hectarion felt he was the only one who had truly failed their father and every day since he had been rid of the shard he had striven to make up for that failure and no force in the universe could force him to stray from that path. One legion. That was all Icarion's father had who were loyal beyond a doubt. One primarch, Icarion corrected himself. Hectarion's sons had turned away from their father and legion before. Another failure to account and atone for. Looking at the fire again, Icarion let a smile creep onto his face unbidden. He could feel the winds of fate changing, as his fate changed.

Hmmm, I think You got Gwalchavad the wrong Way: He may ne a pacifist, but he is no coward. A fight is for him The last way.

And Icarion couldn't be able to see the future of a pariah. So it is more a gamble of Gwal stays neutral.

Alexos through him through his means out of The game. Shockimg him, traumatize him, drug him, inflicting a conflict in him. Fight against his nature and save hus ideals or succumb to his primarch nature, help saving The imperium but losing himself.

I also think, that You got Icarion wrong. He is bitter, because he sees The end of his kind, but I don't think, that he would look down unto his brethren, call them fool or easy to manipulate.

At least that is not The Icarion i imagined.

Mikhal, that wasn't meant represent Gwal as a coward, it was meant to present Icarion as being disdainful of the idea that the galaxy could ever be at peace(as I imagine the ghost crusade would make such a concept very strange) and his saying Gwal will stay neutral is an educated guess rather than a prediction.

Hmm, I always imagined Icarion being haughty and viewing himself as better than his brothers, else why would he have been chosen to prosecute the ghost crusade?

Well, it seemed The other way to ne. Maybe leave it vague then? As for Icarion, here in The broverse i did the same error with him. And somewhere deep in our threads, athrawes corrected my view of him.

The lightning bearers tool The ghost crusade upon them, cuz they were The most worthy and the emp knew he could entrust it to them. They didn't yell that they should do it and nobody else.

And on a side note: There were more incorruptible primarchs. What about deard'd? Never was there a bear more noble. I think icarion guessed right to take him out directly at The beginning.

And on a side note: There were more incorruptible primarchs. What about deard'd? Never was there a bear more noble. I think icarion guessed right to take him out directly at The beginning.

Yes! That is exactly what I was going for when I came up with Daer'dd. A stubborn bastion of hope and righteousness for the Imperium to emulate. And yeah Athrawes picked Daer'dd to kill because he seemed like the Primarch most suited to lead the Imperium if Alexanderos and the Big E died. Iirc.

What sort of character representations do we have in our setting? Obviously, they're not going to be exact matches as they weren't meant to be counterparts, but rather as a loose reference.

Lion El Johnson // Yucahu

Fulgrim

Perturabo // Alexxos

Jaghatai // Morro

Leman // Raktra

Dorn // Daerdd

Curze

Sanguinius // Hectarion

Ferrus Manus // Gwalchavad

Angron

Guilliman // Alexandros

Mortarion // Kozja

Magnus // Kawil

Horus // Icarion

Lorgar

Vulkan // Pionus

Corax

Alpharius

Where could some of the others go? And have I mislabled any in your eyes? Morro obviously is possibly different to what I've got in my head compared to what I've actually writted XD, so would appreciate a clarification there.

Always saw Gwal as a mix of Vulkan and Sanguinius :).

If you know Tiger&Dragon you have Li Mu Bai as direct inspiration for Gwal.

How did u come up with Ferrus? Really interesting

And how did you create this list?

I think its safe to say that Vulkan = Pionus because He Will Not Die and is What Vulkan is to Artificers that Pionus is to Apothecaries :p?

Honestly, I'd like to see the thinking process for some of those. I've spent riduculous quantities of paper making such equivalences, but they are vastly different from yours.

Enlighten us :).

But i see it as difficult to see references as all of our primarchs were originally the lost ones and I bet we tried to make them distinct from the rest of the fest.

I'd like to bring up the point that the Scions were created specifically for this endeavour :P

Otherwise, they'd be a White Scars Brotherhood in the Cannonverse and have a different name haha!

Archived