WarriorFish

Somehow I got it into my head that this challenge ended on the 7th.  I've been hustling all day to finish up.  Glad I have a few more days to not have to rush the second model and fluff.  The priest is done, but I think I'll post everything together in one large post tomorrow.

I can't make this look better with my current painting abilities so I call it done. No base again, sorry. 

I've got this model on my painting queue, might move her up after seeing this. Really like the colour scheme! :)

Good news, fellow guardsmen! My order from Woodland Scenics arrived today with all sorts of goodies. Now I've got all three kinds of ballast and some tall grass in my arsenal. Now all my Chimera needs are some weathering powders and we're good to go smile.png.

And that brings me to my dilemma. I can't place my mud without those pigments. How can I show my love for the Emperor without mud? Well, I guess this challenge will be getting a pretty clean APC instead of a filthy one. Don't get me wrong: it needs a thorough power wash, but it's nowhere near what I had envisioned. Knowing my luck, the weathering powders will get here Friday. After the deadline sad.png.

In other news, work still continues on the Ogryn. His camouflage is complete and the base coat and shading have been done. There is no rest for the Ecclesiarchy, though. We will prevail happy.png!

A completed model is what matters Meh - you can always return to weather it afterwards :) Speaking of completed models I'm at the wash stage for the base, so I'll have plenty of time to finish it off, just need to remember where I put the write up...

Just left with the grass gluing now, I'll apply the transfer and take my completion shot tomorrow :) Less than 24 hours left and there seems to be a lot of white on that table! Hopefully we're going to see a lot of completions in the final hours...

I'm trying, Lord Comissar. My health seems to be getting in the way but that's a constant hurdle that no one else can bear for me. The Chimera has been completed to the best of my ability, under present circumstances. A picture and a few words won't be much trouble. Herr Goldtooth is being a bit finicky but he'll be sorted out by the deadline- hopefully.

Either way, I'll be willing to go to the firing squad for my failure, perceived or othewise.

2nd. Lieutenant Dirl, Platoon Commander, 3rd. Co., the Imperial Governor's Lifeguard (Grandia).

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/BrotherHandro/486776dc-ffc0-46a0-b476-16d7beeeab53_zpsqwofz7on.jpg

Lieut. Dirl fluff;

Hidden Content
These pict caps have been used to positively identify one 2nd. Lieutenant Dirl, a junior officer commanding a platoon of the 3rd. Company of the IGL during the Grandia conflict.

The Lieutenant is easily identified by his peculiarly idiosyncratic habit of marrying standard IGL combat fatigues with the field cap and all-enclosing rebreather equipment commonly issued to regular Grandian infantry officers. His foregoing of the traditional IGL helmet is highly unusual, and it is unknown whether this is due to reasons of loss, practicality in the dusty environment of Grandia IV's agri-plains or simple affectation. The pic cap cannot be dated accurately beyond the 3rd. Company's deployment on Grandia IV (presumably with standard ballistic helmet) and his reported death some 8 months later.

The white trim of his uniform displays he is of command rank whilst the red trim denotes his affiliaition to an infantry unit.

He is armed with a locally produced pattern of laspistol of standard quality and a heavy sabre most probably of personal provenance, as officers of the Lifeguard were expected to arm themselves to the highest standards.

Army fluff;

Hidden Content
Following the outbreak of war in the Grandia system, the early part of the land-based campaign was centred on Grandia IV, an agri-world of open, rolling plains and the breadbasket of the system.

The terrain was suited to the mechanised form of warfare practised by the standing and recently-conscripted regiments of the GDF but it was felt by senior figures within the Army command structure that these units should be bolstered by more reliable, disciplined troops, and none fitted that description better than the Imperial Governor's Lifeguard.

[The Feldgend also deployed increasingly large numbers of combat troops to the surface of Grandia IV under ostensibly the same remit of adding backbone to the conscripted ranks, and it is speculated that their senior commanders took offence at this possible slight. Alternatively others take the more controversial view that the Feldgend actually wanted to see the IGL 'field tested' to gauge their relative strengths, or more disturbingly, to draw their strength away from the Governor on Grandia Prime].

Regardless of the political reasoning behind their deployment, the 4 companies of IGL sent to Grandia IV soon acquitted themselves well, most notably when on the defensive and when facing Astartes infantry and light vehicles, as was common at the onset of the war. Their combat effectiveness fell dramatically when asked to follow the mechanised methods of the regular troops or when pitted against the increasingly heavy vehicles and machinery of the III and XVI Legions as the war escalated.

Nevertheless the men of the IGL continued to be of both military and propaganda value, bolstering fresh batches of conscripts upon their arrival in-theatre with their accumulated veteran knowledge and famous discipline and ensuring the populace of the Grandia system could still see the men of their symbolic regiment holding out against their superhuman aggressors.

Addendum: The 3rd. Company was rotated out of the line after 11 months of near-continuous fighting on Grandia IV having taken an estimated 68% casualties. This compared favourably with conscripted regiments, who averaged a 74% casualty rate over the same time period. [N.B. Feldgend casualty rates were estimated at 24%, owing to their almost complete mechanisation, superior equipment and 'cautious' deployment methods].

Whew! I actually finished this model last week, but he lost his other arm in the process and then I discovered my GW Thin superglue had packed in for the umpteenth time...I've switched to the Thick stuff, any more shenanigans and I'm switching to alternative providers...

I wanted to enter my Valkyrie to see if I could paint it in a week dead, but I'm glad I didn't as this week was far busier than expected, but I have made a start and hope to finish it...by Xmas.

Also it's now my birthday, what have you all got me? tongue.png (Not being shot by the Commissars for finishing my vow and everyone finishing theirs is an acceptable gift).

Heroes of the Guard vow complete! I didn't think I was going to make it because it's been a very busy period for me.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt103/crouching_lictor/DSCF1087.jpg

Brother Micah 

Brother Micah was once a regular guardsman serving with the Karshaki Dragoons, however, after the terrible events of the Callassar Insurrection, which inflicted grievous losses upon the regiment and saw the death of Father Nicolay, Micah was called to serve the Emperor's faithful and lead the newly initiated conscripts into battle once more. He carries a battered but dependable plasma gun which is known as "Mercy" that was blessed by the Cardinal of Pesteros IX himself, marked by the purity seal attached to the ancient weapon. Micah's fiery rhetoric and unflinching faith in the Emperor serve him well in the crucible of combat where he can be found shouting passages from The Divine Truth to inspire the faithful to commit great deeds of valor and martyrdom.

Treads and Thrusters Vow complete!

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt103/crouching_lictor/DSCF1088.jpg

Regimental Fluff

Karshaki Dragoons

The Karshaki Dragoons hail from the agri-world of Karshak located in the Ultima Segmentum near the border of the Ghoul Stars. Most within the Imperium consider this to be a frontier world and a stepping stone to explore deep space beyond the Imperium's established borders. Karshak breeds a hardy people and they have been providing tithes to fight for the Emperor since their world was rejoined with the Imperium over two centuries ago. Although relatively young in the eyes of Terra, the people of Karshak developed a strong martial system as they defended themselves from the numerous xenos factions that have attacked the world throughout its history. The Karshaki employ a combined arms force and this is evident from their structure from the brigade level down to company level. It is not uncommon for a company commander to have infantry, armor and artillery organic to his or her organization. In some instances even air assets are under the direct control of a company level ground force commander. The Dragoons are currently reorganizing and refitting following the terrible war to put down the Callassar Insurrection. Two entire Army groups were deployed to the Callassar system to bring the system back into the Imperial fold after the system governor declared independence from the Imperium and cut off much needed supplies of promethium to the Emperor's armies. The Karshaki Dragoons were one of many regiments deployed to pacify the system and saw some of the bloodiest engagements of the war. The Dragoons were initially deployed to secure one of the serviceable space ports to serve as a staging area for follow on forces. Expecting traitorous PDF, the Dragoons were initially unprepared for the onslaught of chaos marines. The Dragoons suffered mightily and casualties were severe but eventually, through blood and valor, the Dragoons prevailed.

Father Heich

Ministorum Priest

gallery_85038_11344_635746.jpg
gallery_85038_11344_437628.jpg
gallery_85038_11344_1101871.jpg

gallery_85038_11344_46068.jpg

Father Heich was mid sermon when his his plasma gun exploded. A moment ago he was at the front of his conscript flock, unloading plasma into the advancing Ork horde while shouting his battle prayers. Now, the whole world had gone black. He smelled charred flesh, his ears were filled with an incessant ringing noise. He could hear his boys shouting as they rallied around his broken body. Fighting with renewed vigor, they advanced to protect their father. Though the pain was intense, he felt at peace. Heich knew if he was to perish today, his flock would deliver the Emperor's justice to these xenos. As he drifted into unconsciousness, Heich heard the scream of an approaching Valkyrie.

Trooper Kearns

Hotshot Lasgun Scion
gallery_85038_11345_391443.jpg
gallery_85038_11345_52351.jpg

Trooper Kearns stared impatiently at the red light. He was ready, he wanted off this bird. He loved the jump, the landing, the moment his hotshot lasgun began to belch volleys of fire into the enemies of the Emperor. The light flipped from red to green, the rear hatch of the Valkyrie dropped open in an instant. “Let's go boys!” shouted Sergeant Gilroy as he lept from the doorway. Kearns was right behind him. Today his squad was dropping in to support a conscript company. They had been holding the flank all morning against an onslaught of Orks. Command worrying that they may be overrun, had called in the airborne. He was about one thousand meters off the ground when he saw a bright blue explosion at the front of the battalion. As his squad landed two conscripts were loading a broken husk of a man into a medical Chimera. The head was broken twisted mess of charred flesh and exposed bone. Sergeant Gilroy ordered the unit to protect the Chimera as it returned to base. Underneath his facemask, Kearns cracked a slight smile as he unleashed volley after volley into the advancing green tide.

Unit Fluff:

Foxhound Batallion
Foxhound wears the colors of red and black. From the scions in their red and black carapace armor to the red, black and grey camouflage battle dress uniforms worn by the unit veterans. As their symbol, they either display a gold Aquilla with red deaths head or a golden wreath surrounding a red deaths head. Their boots are black, they wear leather belts with gold buckles. Every trooper goes into battle with at least a lasgun, canteen, bayonet and grenades.
Foxhound is a ragtag mix of veterans from various sources. Some are remnants from shattered Cadian and Catachan battalions, and some members have even joined from civillian 'scratch companies' encountered while defending a hive.
Their specialty is urban assault. Being deployed multiple times to quell uprisings or defend a hive that is under siege. They are well versed in the use of flamers. The infantry are well trained to support their armor advancing through tight urban ruins.
Individuality is highly encouraged in Foxhound. Custom scopes, wooden hand grips and butt stocks, and custom backpacks fully loaded to support veterans for a few weeks without logistical support are the norm.
The veterans are well equipped. A normal deployment includes multiple squads with melta and plasma guns. Foxhound also has multiple conscript battalions and infantry platoons. These are deployed to act as a screen to allow the veteran units to perform surgical strikes and remove problem enemy armor, gun emplacements, headquarters, etc.
Their tanks and transports are painted dark grey. On their sides, they display a vertical red, black and grey stripe. They are loaded down with the gear needed to operate with little logistical support. Extra treads, jerry cans, camo nets and tow cables are seen on almost every tank.
Air support for Foxhound consists of Valkyries to forward deploy their scions. Vendettas fly cover for the Valkyries and after the Valkyries depart the battlefield, they go tank hunting.

Excellent! Last day completions by the bucket load well done everyone they look great! Given me a few ideas too :tu: I will process them this evening - 20:00 GMT is the deadline by the B&C clock make sure you don't miss it!

The model is essential but the fluff isn't so prioritise that, better to complete at a lower rank than not at all :)

As any good plan my painting plan died instantly in contact with the horrid enemy known as life, leaving me to finish everything today XD Getting close to hour 8 of painting straight and still some darn little things to finish....

But we shall not fail the Emperor! There is no retreat, only victory or death!

Also, very neat things coming up, very inspirational!

By the Emperor's loincloth, this took me forever! But after one too many hours of tears and paint all over me I can finally post my completed vow!

So without further ado,

Third Attached Heavy Support Detail, Fourth Platoon

Hidden Content
Seen below is the Third Heavy Attached Support Detail of the Fourth Platoon of the Harakoni Warhawk’s 17th regiment, taking the nicknamed “The Blackhawks” after the previous 17th, as part of the “Breaking of Hexat VI”. Following the standard doctrines of the Harakoni Warhawk regiments all heavy weapons are gathered in special support details which are then attached ad-hoc to various platoons as landing conditions dictates. This particular detail was attached to the fourth platoon and was the third such unit attached, as denoted by their right shoulder pad. The left shoulder proudly display the “Diving Black Hawk” which is the symbol of the 17th Regiment.

The 17th Harakoni formed the spearhead of the initial planetfall upon Hexat, deploying during a midnight combat drop directly within the walls of the Twin City of Karashar in support of a small Adeptus Astartes attack force. Their objective was two-fold, secure several key fortifications and tie down the heretical Hexati while the main Imperial assault affected a landing on the archipelagos south of Karashar. During this operation the Third Support Detail dropped in via grav-gliders, a specialty of the 17th, as part of the first wave tasked with establishing a landing zone. They served admirably during the prolonged engagement, covering the fourth platoons landing after the first detail’s drop failed. Later the units survivors would withdraw would participate in a lengthy holdout action later known as “Sterlyn’s Gauntlet”.

The vid-cap below was taken by servo-skull unit 10011101. It shows the detail deploying for combat and blocking of thoroughfare FX19 which lead directly to the main drop zone, taking up position amongst the shanty-town laying beyond Manifactorium complex “Bagan”. Note hastely improvised defensive measures, including the use of prefabricated flakbags.

BC IG Challenge Finish 1 (1)

BC IG Challenge Finish 2

BC IG Challenge Finish 3

BC IG Challenge Finish 4

First Fireteam, Erykka Werft and Hylmer Lein

Hidden Content
As the hard, veteran core of the Third Detail Sergeant Erykka and Gunner Hylmer had served with the 17th for nearly seventeen years by the time of the Hexat VI campaign. Sergeant Erykka is armed with a Accatran-pattern mkVI las-carbine while Gunner Hylmar operates as Solar-pattern heavy bolter modified for drop operations.
Sergeant Erryka was after the battle awarded the Crimson Cross, having suffered two bullet wounds yet remaining in command for the duration of the Karashar engagement. Gunner Hylmar is recorded as a casualty, dying from a bolt shell penetrating his cranium during “Sterlyn’s Gauntlet”.
Note Sergeant Erryka’s highly irregular hair adornment of blueish stripes, likely holding some sort of symbolic significant in Harakoni hive culture.

BC IG Challenge Finish 5

Second Fireteam, Guardsman Narz Nagel and Gunner Nadia Nagel

Hidden Content
Having previously been members of the same hive gang Narz and Nadia Nagel were both forcefully conscripted into the 17th after having been arrested, having by the time of the Hexat VI campaign served for nearly three years. Guardsman Narz is seen carrying a stub-automatic, his sidearm of choice, after having lost his lasrifle during the drop. The gun was likely acquired illegally, possibly looted from the enemy. Gunner Nadia operated the modified Solar-pattern heavy bolter. Guardsman Narz is also seen wearing the respirator unit of his Type 5 Pressure Helmet, not an uncommon practise amongst Harakoni naturally acclimated to far thinner air than in common on most human worlds.

Note in particular the electoos carried by both guardsmen, on the cheek of Gunner Nadia and the brow of Guardsman Narz. Both are likely former gang markings with ritual significance amongst Harakoni’s vicious hive gangs, likely signs of status and prestige.

BC IG Challenge Finish 6

Third Fireteam, Guardsman Hax Shaw and Gunner Lezzel Wyrvel

Hidden Content
Gunner Lezzel Wyrvel was a new addition to the Third Detail, having arrived two month prior to the “Breaking” as part of an accidental reinforcement of the regiment. Guardsman Hax had served for four years prior to Hexat VI. The pic-cap clearly shows him reprimanding Gunner Lezzel for her failure to follow proper firing protocol while he was sent backward to retrieve a fresh munition cache. He can in different pic-caps be seen carrying one of these special drop-adapted munition caches.

Gunner Lezzel’s lack of experience would unfortunately see the third fireteam wiped out as they failed to spot and counter a flanking manoeuvre by the heretical opposition during a later action. Both dying before the other members of their detail could come to their aid, though the heretics assault was repulsed after a short but bloody melee action during which Sergeant Erykka suffered her first wound.

BC IG Challenge Finish 7

Archived