[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

^Haha, yup.

Tank hunting Vanquisher cannons are essentially designed to kill Spartans while flipping their flare shield the double bird. Plus its one (and Kraken penetrators, but your Lightning can't start on the table >_< ) of very few things that has a legit chance to do first turn damage through that wacky Ordinatus super flare shield. 

Even if you're not exploding it with the Vanquishers, the Spartan is accumulating hull points od damage and it typically makes their players freak out and do weird things with them when their big 1000pt+ death taxi starts catching pens from across the table. Just something more alarming about it than any number of grav rapiers. Dunno what that is.

But it's an absolute blast :D 

If you want an idea on how the Leeman Russ Vanquishers perform, just ask Flint, she runs a squadron of 3 most of the time.

Oh, I brainstorm tactics and strategies with Flint quite frequently but thank you for the advice! 

Before you model up a nanyte blaster, do you know that relics are explicitly permission only now? It's in the latest faq.

Dallo

That's not an issue at my GW store, I've never once heard a single person complain about relics and in fact they usually think my Lord Marshal is hilariously awesome with his weird test load outs that I put on him.  I'd never mod the actual model to reflect the Nanyte Blaster though as once I finish a model...it's done, I don't mess with it further.  If I did that, I would be constantly tweaking my force and never working on anything new!

Awesome battle report. I don't want to be a nit-picker here but there were a few errors with the Malcador that last game. While Super-heavies are allowed to fire at different targets, they do still need to declare all of their targets at once. This means that you cannot shot at something you can only see because another gun killed the tank between you and it. It also means that you cannot shoot up the contents of a transport you just killed with the same malcador that killed it.

Either way, the army is pretty.

You know, I would agree with you on this except everyone at my store (including my GW Store manager) states that it is handled the way I did so in my battle report.  I've played at least 5 people up there with different armies and Super Heavy firing has always been select a weapon, roll to hit, etc.  After researching it on the net there seems to be two separate camps on the idea as GW never clearly stated it and it becomes a huge he said/she said war of semantics. 

So if the opponent wants me to handle firing a specific way, then I'll handle it that way, but as things stood I actually incredulously asked if I could fire the demolisher cannon on the Wulfen and he hung his head saying, "Oh god...yes, yes you can."  So I was only playing as my opponent openly stated I should be handling things!

I run a duo of Vanquishers with tank commanders, sitting behind an Aegis line with the Strategos to bump on to BS5. Mostly all of my remaining army is very anti-horde (Stormlord & 40 Veletarii) or anti-TEQ (Malcador infernus <3) I needed some serious AV work.

The gun + armourbane + tank hunters = tank tears. I have yet to try it on a Spartan though.

I am doing a simple scheme for the Veletarii - spray purple, leadbelcher on anything not cloth. Mass wash of agrax and nuln, drybrush, highlight and redden the choombarrells. All will be well. *rocks back and forth*

I am fascinated by the people saying they are keeping their Strategos in the 6" range for Cognis Signum and yet the Strategos is living.  Vanquishers to me would be an instant magnet for fire and I can just see something like my Cerastus-Atrapos Knight landing his grav gun on the rear of the Vanquishers with a 6 roll turning it into a D strength roaming blackhole that swallows the Tactical Auxilia and the tanks whole. 

I used Cognis Signum on my Rotor Cannons just to make them even more obnoxious than they already are but this game I had the Strategos in a building with no windows and all open sides turned away from my opponent, so nothing could get at him.  Relying on CS though makes me highly nervous especially if it's the difference between moving a whole squad/unit closer to him or not.

Side Note:  Now I don't have my book open in front of me but I just thought of a potentially hilarious loophole with Cognis Signum.  Cognis Signum's only restraints are it cannot be applied to Independent Characters and Super Heavies, otherwise if you apply it to a member of a unit the whole unit/squad gets Cognis Signum.  So how does that work in the case of Tarantulas who are purchased as a Squad but are deployed with individual reserve rolls without unit cohesion being necessary.  Basically you could drop one of the three Tarantula near the Strategos, easily done thanks to the magical Nuncio Vox carrier in the squad, tag it with Cognis Signum and the Tarantulas across the board who are in the same squad...would get +1 BS as well?

I'm probably reaching and my sleep addled mind always looks to far into things but it's a thought!

If I recall correctly, Flint has told me before that her Trio of Vanquishers have killed a Spartan in a turn or two of shooting through its Flare Shield.

See below!

^Haha, yup.

Tank hunting Vanquisher cannons are essentially designed to kill Spartans while flipping their flare shield the double bird. Plus its one (and Kraken penetrators, but your Lightning can't start on the table >_< ) of very few things that has a legit chance to do first turn damage through that wacky Ordinatus super flare shield. 

Even if you're not exploding it with the Vanquishers, the Spartan is accumulating hull points od damage and it typically makes their players freak out and do weird things with them when their big 1000pt+ death taxi starts catching pens from across the table. Just something more alarming about it than any number of grav rapiers. Dunno what that is.

But it's an absolute blast :biggrin.:

See it's times like this that I am glad that Leman Russ hulls are independent of their turrets.  I have four painted Leman Russ Hulls and that means I would only need to buy one more hull and then I can literally turret swap my Annihilators to Vanquishers as the situation calls for it thanks to Forge World selling the Ryza and Stygies pattern turrets separate.  Now I just have to decide which one, I'm leaning toward the Stygies if only because it's a shorter barrel and thus easier to pack. 

Packing is becoming a real issue the more really nice Resin models I gather because of this army.  Currently I'm utilizing cardboard boxes, medium sized bubble wrap stuff, and velcro zip-ties.  Each box holds it's own specific model or group of models (Leman Hulls, Malcador/Dracosans, Stormhammer, Atrapos) and then all of the turrets go in their own box to remove any chance of the turret gunners getting squashed.

Tarantulas have got to come first as the Arvus Lighter is reliant on them to function as a working strategy.  I'm just being stubborn about spending close to a $100 bucks (with shipping) on 3 little guns that I know I'm going to feel inclined to get resin bases for which will up their cost even more.  Not to mention if I try to convert the guns using the aircraft multilasers, that's another 9 pounds apiece.  Did I mention that I actually want 6 of them for layered defense?  Someone shoot me now please!  :ph34r.:

I got a huge carry case filled with the little black foam stuff and cut it out for a mixture of infantry and tanks. Works quite well.

I don't think my Vanquishers will necessarily be targeted - there is a Stormlord, Malcador Infernus and Dracosian vying for attention. People seem to overestimate how invulnerable their Spartans are too :)

Plus as far as I've seen, only the Store Manager has the moree exotic models. Most of the lists I see on the cable are single spartan adamantium coconuts. I am drooling with the thought of dropping 2 Spartans on the table soon.

I got a huge carry case filled with the little black foam stuff and cut it out for a mixture of infantry and tanks. Works quite well.

I don't think my Vanquishers will necessarily be targeted - there is a Stormlord, Malcador Infernus and Dracosian vying for attention. People seem to overestimate how invulnerable their Spartans are too :smile.:

Plus as far as I've seen, only the Store Manager has the moree exotic models. Most of the lists I see on the cable are single spartan adamantium coconuts. I am drooling with the thought of dropping 2 Spartans on the table soon.

Yeah, I sometimes feel like I am preparing for a battle I won't ever face when I'm working out strategies.  I haven't seen any Forge World models at my GW Store, outside of the ones I bring, as of yet and I'm still the only one using a Horus Heresy based force.  There's a lot of Space Wolves and another Tau player but he doesn't even like running them because he feels like every list he has is practically cheating based on how easily they eat opponents.  There's a lot I'd like to explore with the Solar Auxilia but just can't manage it financially after the sprint I have run getting the force to roughly 3500 points, might be higher with the Arvus Lighter and the impending Tarantulas, so I'm going to have to liquidate either one of my other armies.

It's honestly to the point now that I'm thinking about selling the entire Lions of Leander VI force (whom I absolutely love and have a ton of fluff written for them), which comes up to about 5,000 points of Air Cavalry/Ground Support Militarum Tempestus/Astra Militarum (Guard).  Considering how popular all of the models in that army were on Reddit and here, I could probably fill out the gaps in my Solar Auxilia with the proceeds and then start experimenting with some really bizarre and crazy lists.  People are still obsessed with my Valkyries (4 of them total) and my example image regularly gets re-pinned one to two times a day on Pinterest. 

The only issue I have with this is packing as I found it difficult to even get the army to the store safely, let alone shipping it across the country, so it's going to have to be local or not at all.  I'm damn sure the Marauder Destroyer will not survive a drop ship as the pieces are so thin or glue contacts are to small for a lot of its parts and I don't want someone pissed at me because that when I simply can't see a way to avoid it...let alone packing the Marauder, 4 valkyries, 1 vulture, 1 imperial knight, a slew of Tempestus and Cadian Hostile Environment Troops, two super heavy tanks...and more that I'm forgetting.  It's really frustrating as my Solar Auxilia could easily use even a portion of the funds to hit my desired mark with them.

===

I've been quiet painting right now because I just don't have anything for the Solar Auxilia that is unpainted at the moment; it sucks but that's just how things stand right now.  I've been tinkering with some Age of Sigmar stuff, dwarves of multiple varieties, just to pass the time.  I also picked up some Fyreslayers for the sole purpose of forcing me to work more on painting skin/faces, as I feel it's a weak spot in my painting skills and I want to start doing commission work, since the little bastards are entirely skin for the most part.  I won't embed this as it's not Horus Heresy related but my tiny Legion of Azgorh force is starting to become functional.  I've got my Legion of Azgorh, Dwarf Ironbreaker test scheme, and Varanguard Test posted up in the following album if you're curious:  Click Here

Edited by Audemus

I would really LOVE to see you do some lasfire section guys and flamer sections... im really missing those here.

(I promise the below isn't supposed to come off harsh, I just want to preface it to make sure you know I'm not irritated or anything!  :biggrin.: )

My fluff doesn't really provide an opportunity for them to exist within the 1905th Rust Scorpions unfortunately, as only wounded survivors of the Veletaris made it on to the freighter as Port Maw went nova.  To be honest though, as far as the lasrifle sections specifically, the rotor cannons out perform them every day of the week.  They throw out more firepower and can clump next to the ammo dump with ease while remaining against the Aegis wall for Hit the Dirt 2+ cover saves, which is something a 20 man lasrifle section cannot physically do, and they just look better doing it.  The only restriction is that it takes about a week of modding to get a squad even ready for painting and that's a strenuous week. 

I don't run flamers on anything, pretty much ever, which becomes a double negative due to the flame squads requiring a lasrifle section just to be purchased.  It's just not worth the point or dollar investment to pursue them.  I'm more likely to buy a second Stormlord and paint it in Rust Scorpion colors to use as an assault transport than I am to going down that road.

As I have 3 Veletaris Storm Sections and 1 Veletaris Rotor Cannon Section, as well as the Household Retinue w/ Power Axes, I really don't see myself painting anymore infantry for the 1905th at the moment.  I'll grab the Medicae guys when they come out and most likely the named Lord Marshal if they make a model for him but beyond that my expansion will be armoured and/or airborne from here on out.  Expect Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Tarantulas, Rapiers, Malcadors, etc. to pop up eventually as I am severely lacking in auxiliary and special function choices that would make my life wonderfully easy.  I also plan, as I mentioned above, to pick up turrets for the other tank types for my Assault & Strike Squadrons Leman Russ Hulls which will allow for more flexibility when I am facing different opponents. 

I also have my Questoris Knights, House Ardeo, that need some fleshing out as well.  Which, while not numerous in number, is going to be a financial investment no matter how I try to approach it.  House Ardeo will be receiving a new member as soon as the Acastus Knight Porphyrion is released, as I'd like a long range fire Knight to support my Atrapos and I've already made two Crusader Knights for my other armies...making a third, once the new red book comes out with them allowed for Questoris Knights, seems more than moderately silly.

That's pretty much a summary of where I plan to take things in the future with the force and while it might be fun to paint some lasrifles just for giggles, they would look really out of place among 5 Veletaris squads of varying equipment and I probably wouldn't use them very often to boot.  Sorry to have to disappoint on that request!

Hey bud crazy idea but have you considered a Valdor Tank Hunter with a tank commander? It can be a bloody deadly combi

You know, I've been thrown by the tanks stating they can be a Super Heavy Command Tank and missed that opening line in the regular Tank Commander stating they can be placed on Malcador variants and the Lord of War tanks.  That extra +1 BS on my Malcador Annihilator would make a massive difference since it can't receive Cognis Signum.  Not to mention the benefits of the different Tank Commander skills.

A Valdor might be just what I need, as I am stubborn about the Infernus just because I don't like the model at all, and with a tank commander in the saddle it should be incredibly effective at stopping heavy armor when paired with my Malcador Annihilator.  I did notice it can't take Flare Shield which is a bummer given its 13AV vs the Siege Armor 14AV of my Annihilator but being able to fire that monster of a cannon twice is pretty damn hilarious.  Not to mention I can strap two multi-lasers on to it for anti-infantry fun while focusing on long range targets.

I still have to finish up my unpainted dwarfs but you may have just given me my next project after the Tarantulas, thank you! :laugh.:

Sorry for double posting but I wanted some advice.

I took the plunge yesterday and purchased some veletaris from ebay. While these guys won't be the ones I cut up, I am planning on fielding some guys with the rotor cannons based on what you've said about them. Do you have any advice on making that conversion? On the surface, it seems simple enough buy I haven't worked with resin that much so I don't know if that will throw a wrench into my plans.

Sorry for double posting but I wanted some advice.

I took the plunge yesterday and purchased some veletaris from ebay. While these guys won't be the ones I cut up, I am planning on fielding some guys with the rotor cannons based on what you've said about them. Do you have any advice on making that conversion? On the surface, it seems simple enough buy I haven't worked with resin that much so I don't know if that will throw a wrench into my plans.

Hrm, I probably should have taken more pictures when I was working on them to show exactly what was going on.  What I *did* do though was take a full series of unpainted pictures at 4 angles of each model to make it easier to see how I made them happen!

Numbering will be of rows from the top of the picture down.

Rotor Cannons:

1.  ALWAYS! cut the top of the hand from the handle (If your Rotor Cannons have the Space Marine hand in them) before you cut the bottom of the hand away.  The reason for this is the pressure of the cut between the top of the hand and the guard/brace will bend it upward if it the hand is not anchored to the bottom.  Once you've separated it carefully from the top, you can snip the bottom of the Marine hand without issues.

2.  The Marine hand is *not* connected on the front of the hand so it will slide out once you have cut the top and bottom connections.

Arms

This one is kind of hard to explain as it's more of a "You'll see it when you get to it" instruction.  Many times you'll find the Rotor Cannon is to close to the chest of the Veletaris to look natural.  When this happened I used Green Stuff to create a pad that went from thin to thick top to bottom and then put the glue on either side of the Green Stuff before pressing the arm in.  This created a nice wedge under the arm allowing it to push further out from the model without leaving Green Stuff floating about or dirtying the presentation side of the paint job. 

Once you've got it in place, use a hobby knife to trim away the excess that gets pushed out and make sure to let all of completely dry before priming it.  If it's to rough once it dries, you can use Liquid Green Stuff to smooth out the uneven portions.

Example Models: 3, 4, 6, 9

1.  Cut the Volkite Charger at the front, missing the forehand (if it is a two-hand grip Volkite).

2.  Cut the Volkite Charger on the opposite side of the hand and then along the top of the block that will be sticking out of the hands fingers.

3.  You should have a hand holding a block of resin at this point.

4.  *Carefully* (Says the man who opened up his left middle finger last night with his model knife) scoop the resin out of the hand without putting any pressure on the fingers or the thumb.  You want to get this as close as possible as you will need to socket the hand on to the bottom support rail of the Rotor Cannon or on the handle above the barrel.

5.  Now, cut the other hand free of the Volkite Charger and leave the grip in place except for the bottom part of the Charger Grip that sticks out.  Remove that part.

6.  You will most likely need to trim the trigger finger at different intervals to allow for the Rotor Cannon to slide forward or stay back far enough to fit your bracing forehand.  You'll see what I'm talking about when you get to it.

7.  The Ammunition container on the back is relatively easy, you will need to cut the grenades and/or wrenches at times from the back, and you will also need to cut the bottom nub off the air compressor on the right side of the main backpack.  It will keep you from rotating the ammunition container to the side to fit the units movement.

8.  The ammo belt is going to be a test of your patience as each models pose requires you to use hot water etc and reform the belt multiple times.  Once I had it basically right, I put a tiny dot of glue on the connectors and then put Green Stuff in a very small amount over it.  I then put a dot of glue on the other side of the green stuff and immediately connected the belt.  The Green Stuff acts as a soft but stick contact point and will give the glue time to set, plus it can work wonders for fixing a belt connection that is just a tiny bit off.

Example Models: 2, 5, 7, 8, 10

1.  These guys are so much easier as the forehand is holding a horizontal brace and can be glued to the side of the Rotor Cannon.  I aimed for the portion of the gun chassis before the barrels as much as I could but even when it did land on the barrels it's not really noticeable.  Also, since the arms are already free of the Rotor Cannons, you don't have to carve anything out.  Just remove the block contact point from the brace handle and once you have it lined up connect it to the side of the gun.

Example Model: 1

Okay this model is your nemesis.  He will be model #7 in the instructions and he's distinct as he does not have arms separate from the model; the gun is just supposed to connect across his chest.  If you look at the example shot below you will see that I took one of the spare arms from the Veletaris Prime/Nuncio Vox and then connected it in with Green Stuff.  I also flipped the hand over because if I brought the gun up into a holding position it would have been like he was hoisting the Rotor Cannon above his upper chest and across his face.

I spent about an hour to two hours just figuring out how to make this guy work and I'd urge you to play around with different ideas as well, since I can't possibly tell you how much green stuff I used etc.  You'll have to go off the picture to get an idea.  He's not fun though and as much as I love the final pose that I went with...I wish he wasn't in the set at all. 

Ironically, I thought he was the easiest model for my Storm Sections because it was just two dots of glue and voila` gun in place.  Oh how naive I was!

So, here we go, the full picture  break down for each model pose:

http://i.imgur.com/oz1HaA3.jpg

1.  Cut the Volkite Charger at the front, missing the forehand (if it is a two-hand grip Volkite).

2.  Cut the Volkite Charger on the opposite side of the hand and then along the top of the block that will be sticking out of the hands fingers.

3.  You should have a hand holding a block of resin at this point.

4.  *Carefully* (Says the man who opened up his left middle finger last night with his model knife) scoop the resin out of the hand without putting any pressure on the fingers or the thumb.  You want to get this as close as possible as you will need to socket the hand on to the bottom support rail of the Rotor Cannon or on the handle above the barrel.

5.  Now, cut the other hand free of the Volkite Charger and leave the grip in place except for the bottom part of the Charger Grip that sticks out.  Remove that part.

Oh man, that was painful to read. I'm going to go cry in the corner a little, now. I'll be okay. :cry:

I admire the in-depth modelling guide, brother. Not everyone has the time to make one. :thumbsup:

Edited by Olis

Nice job on the tutorial man. In other news, I scored a few choom squads on eBay, and the bits arrived for my Marshal conversion. Just need to find some of that legendary "free time" I've heard so much about, then I'll see if I can't do up a test model. :P

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fairly quiet lately because I've fallen into the dreaded Forge World slow shipping black hole.  While there are quite a few things I'd like to order, I find my funds being diverted simply because 2-3 weeks waiting for delivery is murder and I finally had to stop my two month rolling orders because it was beginning to take a financial toll.  When the cheapest thing I want to order is in excess of 60 pounds (Tarantulas) and will require extensive modding (No Multilaser Tarantulas, which means buying the multilasers as well!) it's hard to justify not painting for a huge period of time.  Painting is my way of dealing with stress and leaving myself without that emergency release valve for so long is just not a good idea.

In an attempt to inspire myself to bite the bullet and order something though, I tried to take a full army shot of the 1905th Rust Scorpions.  Even on a 10 person dining room table there is not enough room for them and my lights, since the army well exceeds my giant photo tent as well.  I'm going to have to try again, without the back drop as it just wasn't big enough (I had to photoshop the backdrop to make the picture uniform), but for now I thought I would post it up so the size of the army could be seen.  It almost seems small but considering I'm just about at 4,000 Points, which I will crest if the Acastus Knight is ever released so the Knights can go into an Allied Detachment, I'm starting to reach a full force organization tree.

http://i.imgur.com/wyU7IG1.png

Things on my wanted list:

1.  Tarantulas (x6, 3 multilaser, 3 lascannon)

2.  Valdor Tank Hunter

3.  Lightning or Thunderbolt, most likely Thunderbolt just because I like the model

4.  Rapier Laser Destroyers (x3, this sucks because I have to order space marines and then multilaser rapiers to get the right models and weapons)

5.  Acastus Knight (Limbo Status until it's released, Acastus will trigger a focus shift to House Ardeo for a full Questoris Knight detachment)

6.  Enginseer w/ Servitors (Forgeworld model one) so I can play with adding some Mechanicus into my Heavy Support and maybe expand into them considering I have 3k Skitarii already.

That's about it.  There are some goofy items that I kind of want, different Lord of War super heavy tank variants, but I won't go down that road until I finish the current force.  I just wanted to touch base in case anyone thought I had stopped painting or anything, I haven't but it's mostly Age of Sigmar stuff and it is not appropriate for me to post that here.  Currently I have been posting it to Reddit because I just don't have anywhere else to put it.  Which I hate because quite frankly you guys have always provided fantastic advice and I've come to rely on your commentary, so it's hard to just read a few brief snippets on Reddit without any real dialogue. 

Oh well, can't win them all.

Looking good Audemus. You must be very proud, to have such a nice looking force. I like the sense of symmetry in your picture. Good job.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do, once you get a bit more forgeworld to paint.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Looking good Audemus. You must be very proud, to have such a nice looking force. I like the sense of symmetry in your picture. Good job.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do, once you get a bit more forgeworld to paint.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thank you!  I am very proud of them and they seem to be gathering interest on Pinterest now too as my Rust Scorpions are some of the top results when you search for Solar Auxilia, which is really cool.

Still a highly impressive photo there, and an impressive force. 

Thank you!

Great army shot, brother. Something to be proud of. Glad to hear back from you. 

Definitely, I realized it had been a while and that I needed to make an effort to move forward out of the rut I've been in.

I feel you brother it takes over a month now to get my orders...

Exactly!  It's compounded by the fact my mail man does not leave notes for my mailbox for some magical reason, so I have to harass the apartment complex office for my packages...which don't have tracking numbers...starting around the 9 business day mark.  It's really embarrassing to continually ask for a package that isn't here yet.

===

Also, I have finally moved forward!  I was debating between Tarantulas and Rapiers but given I already have the Arvus Lighter completed it seemed a shame to not move forward on my tactical deployment idea.  So this afternoon I have ordered the following:

http://i.imgur.com/S2gDWEE.png

Anyone know if a 60 mm base will be right for them or an 80 mm base?  I'd like to put them on cool bases to help protect the legs from being broken and to make them more stable on the table.  Input would be greatly appreciated!

Well bud I'd say 60 mm base should be sufficient enough for the tarantula.

In other news ups just took 386aud from me to drop off my next round of resin.

I'm hoping yours gets here quickly as I need motivation bud and your my muse currently.

Will you be joining us during E TENEBRAE LUX this year?