[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

Well bud I'd say 60 mm base should be sufficient enough for the tarantula.

Marine Tarantulas have an 80mm footprint. 100mm base would be best, for a little extra room The one I've done I put on a 95mm x 125mm oval to turn it into a semi-diorama.

This is a great thread, haven't seen many full SA forces painted up.

Edited by sockwithaticket

• 1 month later...

Will you be joining us during E TENEBRAE LUX this year?

I would be honoured for Audemus to join our efforts, but let's not pressure him, eh? :biggrin.:

I'm late to the party but I've pledged the three tarantulas and will be adding in Medicae as soon as I can manage to get them ordered.  Thanks for the heads up on it, I wouldn't have noticed the event if you guys hadn't mentioned it in these posts previously because I've been on hiatus.  :cool.:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

*yawn* What's this?  ForgeWorld is going to come through with the model I've been waiting on for expanding the Rust Scorpions for almost a year now?

Well then, time to dust off the brushes and replace the dried out paints, supreme artillery support unit will be coming online shortly.

http://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/21/new-forge-world-knight/

Thanks everyone for the kind words! :biggrin.:

Though if I don't see the Porphyrion soon I might be adding some Adeptus Custodes to this thread because I've been waiting for them about as long as new Thunder Warrior models (yeah, never going to happen, I know!).  I am trying to be patient though, if only because I know that monster is going to be expensive given the size of it.  Lets hope that the resin is easier to clean up than the Marauder Destroyer was though, I swear despite working outside and with a face mask I still could feel it effecting my breathing for some time after.

• 2 weeks later...

So my desire to paint is going to soon exceed my patience, now that I've finally got it in my head to start back up again.  So, assuming I move forward with the following idea and this post becomes a Solar Auxilia/Adeptus Custodes WIP thread, the following question should not be to off topic!

I figured out that I can get the Adeptus Custodes separated from the expensive box set at a relative inexpensive price but before I order 10-20 of them and 2 Caladius tanks I want to ask an important question for anyone out there with some insight into their Lore in the novels etc.  I know everyone loves their flashy gold/red armor scheme but if you've followed my painting for any length of time you would also know I only use bright colors as specific accents and prefer a more real-world muted color scheme when painting.

Keeping in mind that I like to write fluff that eases my units into the grand story of the Horus Heresy in a realistic fashion, rather than flying right in the face of the lore, do you guys think the following would look out of place on them as opposed to that over the top Redemptor's Gold blinding paint scheme they seem to be pushing?

(Referencing the brassy metal color specifically on the models below)

http://i.imgur.com/aUD3FWJ.png

The end result would an Adeptus Custodes in ivory armor with the raised armor edges/plates and designs done in the brassy/dirty metallic with deep crimson red for the accents (gemstones, eyes, etc.).  I know for sure if I do them I want to use the Ivory/Brassy metal look but I'll probably end up experimenting with the accent color.  As much as I hate to make a tv show reference, the best example I can find of what I'm talking about is in  some of the Kingsguard's armor in Game of Thrones.

http://i.imgur.com/zjC2oCo.jpg?1

Perhaps work the crimson red into the leathers as I did on my Knight, without using any red paint, to give it the burnished faded red look.  Anyways, that's where my brain is going with this idea right now but I don't know how far outside of the Lore territory I'll be venturing if I break up that solid gold look and give a worn brassy gold/ivory style.

Any thoughts before I order a ridiculous number of models and paints, thus locking myself into this come hell or high water? :biggrin.:

I can't foresee any big lore problems with it. There's definitely ways you could justify it, their armour might have been produced by different artificers or be a slightly unusual alloy, they could be a sub-order of Custodes with different colors, the armor could be oxidized or worn after being in the field for a while, etc. I, for one, would love to see more Custodes in non-standard colors.

In the end, they're Your Dudes™, and if you want to paint them that way, go for it.

I can't foresee any big lore problems with it. There's definitely ways you could justify it, their armour might have been produced by different artificers or be a slightly unusual alloy, they could be a sub-order of Custodes with different colors, the armor could be oxidized or worn after being in the field for a while, etc. I, for one, would love to see more Custodes in non-standard colors.

In the end, they're Your Dudes™, and if you want to paint them that way, go for it.

Only if the leader of your Custodes is Barisstan Selmy :laugh.:

Nah that bronzey look would be great with ivory and silver details.

Do it.

Alright then, I've made the first (albeit) small steps toward moving down the Legio Custodes road.

http://i.imgur.com/kmCMR7l.png

Once I get this fire started, I'll be aiming at getting 20 more Custodes (Initial 5 for the HQ) and 2 Caladius tanks (which will be ordered next week/late this week).  Not sure how I'll end up equipping them, I'm going to have to actually really think about the rules in practice rather than "oh that sounds neato!"

Thanks for the input, we'll see where this leads!

What are you thinking for actual paint?

Warplock bronze for a base I'm guessing. But where do you go from there?

Well the cropped picture above was painted by me, I think I linked them earlier in this thread but didn't really show much on them because it was off-topic for the board, so I'll probably end up mimicking that paint style.  Hilariously, I had to go look it up, but I always post my paint schemes in my Reddit threads so I can retrieve them at a moments notice in case I forget the paint color used over time! :D

Brassy Armor:

======================

Base:  Warplock Bronze

Wash:  Agrax Earthshade

Dry Brush:  Balthasar Gold

Dry Brush:  Sycorax Bronze

Wash (Lightly, pulled along the ends of the scales so it kinda drips down the rest of the scale as it dries):  Nuln Oil

Luckily, I also have a fallback scheme for the ivory that I know looks just how I want it to look.

The following is how I got the Ivory look on my Cerastus Knight Atrapos:

Ivory

==================

Base:  Rakarth Flesh

Wash:  Sepia

Dry Brush:  Ushbati Bone

Dry Brush:  Pallid Wytch Flesh (it will look really bad at this point but this step was imperative to get the panels to brighten up correctly)

Dry Brush:  Karak Stone

It has a bit more ivory/yellow to it so it should help it contrast with the brassier armor, since it won't be bright eye burning gold.

http://i.imgur.com/ZuEvM0w.png

Just an update to the thread.

As noted patience is not one of my greater virtues so I may have dug right into this idea.  I had intended to order 2 Caladius tanks but when I realized I didn't even save on shipping by adding the second one, I decided to hold off on the off chance they release some more Custodes units in the mean time that I can stack in with the second tank.  Plus the single tank got me a free shipping voucher for use in January, which seemed like a good deal and gives me some time to finish up what I've ordered.

As of now, I have pillaged ebay for the left over Custodes sprues that were not being priced to high and have 20 members of the Legio Custodes enroute to my home.  As mentioned above, I also have 1 Caladius tank on order.  So I think that puts me in a good starting position to flesh things out from once we begin to see where they are going with the line and the Inferno/Imperial Agent books get released.  I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to use that tank chassis for other weapon mounts and will be making the weapons modular, assuming the model lends itself to that, I'll know more once I get my hands on it. 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement to get back into things, I'm really looking forward to tackling the first models as they arrive. :)

All right well, as the Adeptus/Legio Custodes have begun to arrive, I decided late last night it was time to pick up a brush again and see what happened.  I'm relatively happy with the results, although the swords for these models are just...not very pose friendly if you like to manipulate the base poses.  They're so big it's insane!

Anyways, I haven't picked up a brush since I did those Tarantula's back in May but he's looking good for the paint scheme I mapped out above.  Now I just need to figure out what resin 40mm (seriously, 40mm?!) base will look good on this guy.  Anyways, let me know what you guys think of the paint scheme and I'll be moving forward from there.

Please note this was a test scheme model, which is to say multiple portions of it have about 10 layers of paint as I was testing different colors, I think I hid it pretty well but if the paint looks thick somewhere that's most likely the cause.

Adeptus/Legio Custodes - Sentinel Guard

http://i.imgur.com/RmRNLHN.png

Edit:

So it wasn't until I actually took this guy out of the photo tent and sat him down next to my Solar Auxilia and Militarum Tempestus that the sheer size of him became apparent.  I knew he seemed big when I was painting him but he could literally grab an Auxilia, Guardsmen, or Space Marine (in power armor) by the ankle and swing them around like a toy if the mass of his sword vs. his actual bulk are any measure of his strength.

Check out this size comparison shot I did to see what I'm talking about!

http://i.imgur.com/UJNtBr3.pngw

Edited by Audemus

(Wouldn't you know the Porphyrion comes out right as I get all of my new models?!)

As of today, I officially have everything (minus the resin bases - which have been shipped), to start up my Legio Custodes detachment.  The Caladius and the final 15 Custodes arrived in the mail between yesterday afternoon and today, so it's time to get serious about getting these guys knocked out.

I would like to have them done before New Years but that's going to depend on whether or not I get dragged into some festive events.  Expect updates in spades soon though!

http://i.imgur.com/wmKKUrV.png

So the other day Venomlust contacted me in regards to the Stormhammer and asked if I could give him any pointers in regards to issues with the model itself etc.  After pondering doing static shots, I realized that I couldn't really show things like the magnets providing resistance to the double cannons etc.  So instead I decided to do a video to illustrate the issues and after finishing it I realized that it might help other people in the future as well; despite not being particularly "tutorial" focused in how I explained some things as I was doing it in more of a conversational tone.

Hopefully it doesn't sound to bad as I'm half asleep after my birthday party last night (aka 5 hours ago) and just using my cell phone to film it! :tongue.:

Stormhammer - Identifying Model Issues

Edited by Audemus

Well, I've finished my first group and I did them as Sentinel Guards...primarily because I really think the shields are cool.  Considering I don't have the box set and I purchased the Legio Custodes separately, I did not have the luxury of an assembly guide for them.  Which proved to be quite an interesting task and I believe you'll find my poses and the standard poses are entirely different for the most part.

I really didn't like the sword point down stance because I can't see a way the Custodes could bring the sword into a combat position quickly given its size from that pose; so instead I dropped a little Thundercats into my Custodes and had the squad leader raising the sword up above his head.  The damn swords are so big it's hard to get them into any semblance of a reasonable stance but I did my best; taking a page from Roman Infantry and putting one of them into a thrust pose and having another bringing his shield to the side to allow for an overhead swing to cut across in front of him.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, and have a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

http://i.imgur.com/iLTDzr6.png