[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

Per the post below, I am replying to my thread to try and save it from oblivion.  Despite not being able to paint or even play really anymore, I still routinely receive messages regarding my Rust Scorpions and reference them to this thread due to the sheer amount of painting steps and color schemes contained within it. 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346694-site-wide-purging-of-old-topics/

It is also, as far as I know, the only place where my steps are archived for doing an in depth modification to mount the belt fed space marine rotary cannons on to the Veletaris models, which even FW ended up really enjoying.

For anyone interested:

Solar Auxilia - Veletaris - Rotor Cannon Conversion Steps

I've been dealing with a lot of stuff I don't really feel entirely comfortable putting up on here but knowing I had this place to come back to and continue where I left off when I could has been really important to me, even if I am quiet and don't always log in, I still read through things all the time...otherwise I wouldn't have even known I needed to make this reply. :mellow.:

All of my image links should still be active and if you see one that isn't, do not hesitate to alert me and I will address it immediately.  If my Rust Scorpions are destined for a Recycle Bin in the sky though, I'd ask that you please notify me so that I can try to back up all of the pages before it's lost as this was probably my biggest contribution to the B&C community and I would hate for it to just vanish.

Sorry if this sounds odd, I just always liked the idea that anyone playing Solar Auxilia could find all of my painting notes, strategies, and modeling tips in one concise and friendly place...not to mention it's just nice to be able to look over it and remember that I did all of this when I need to feel a sense of accomplishment.

So umm...Please do not Viral Bomb the 1905th! :sweat:   Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I had a good update for this thread...that time is over! I have an entire batch of new SA newly arrived and I'm exploring the Lasrifle Auxilia more out of a desire to paint them than anything. After spending last night cleaning the first batch, I took one out and decided to work on updating the paint scheme some as well.

This is just a WIP and I will update further tomorrow when I finish him off. It's good to be back!

http://i.imgur.com/wa1gAFq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JFPb9P0.jpg

Not necessarily a new paint job but after getting a new backdrop, lights, etc for my photo tent I am going through my previous tanks and updating their pictures with all the new stuff for my Instagram account.  I've been extraordinarily happy with how much easier this process is with a non-vinyl backdrop (no scratches/light reflection etc) and the Stormhammer was my first guinea pig for the process.

Then...this happened. o.o

xRzCB45.png

It's not up on their site yet but I was really stunned to have them flag out my work like this; I think this means it will be on the FW site attached to the Stormhammer's page but this is all new to me.  I still remember painting the Stormhammer while running a temperature since I was immobile. lol

Anyways, here is the updated primary picture of the tank, I'm not sure if they just pull the first image out of the group or not, as it really came out nice.

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' - Stormhammer

B15fbqO.png

As to the Lasrifle Section, all of the bodies are done and I am plowing through the lasrifles themselves now, I'm paying the cost for making the guns overly complicated and I'll probably dumb them down a bit for the second squad of them I have and make these guys more of a "veteran/honor guard" in the fluff to account for it. >.>

...or at least that is what I'm telling myself right now, knowing my penchant for uniformity that won't be what ends up happening but god...20 man squads are the devil. :yucky:

Phew!  I finished up the Lasrifle Section this morning and I opted on a more organic picture to show them since they are way to numerous to do my normal 360 degree rotation shots.  This squad was draining as hell but I have way to much left unpainted to stop here; expect more to follow as fast as my brush can paint. :laugh.:

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' - Lasrifle Section

L5wjWlj.jpg

So I've been working on the OOP Surgeon-Primus Aevos Jovan box set for the last few days and these guys are absolutely stunning models.  It's heartbreaking to see how much work was put into them and they were only on sale for roughly 2 years before being sent into the void.  Here are the two Medicae Orderlies from the box that I have completed so far, next up is the stretcher and Aevos Jovan himself.  Aevos Jovan has so many bizarre things incorporated into his model I've been staring at it for days trying to create a mental catalogue of them to ensure I don't miss something when painting him.  For example...his pants are literally being held up by big metal hooks that drag the sides up on either side of his belly like some bizarre Grim Dark suspenders. lol

I was so excited about doing these guys until I realized I was going to have to paint them in white/creams for the Medicae fluff.  I sincerely dislike painting in whites, even if I do have a bad habit of thinking it would look right and trying it out every once in a while.  I settled for off-white cream instead of going full bore white as, with the warm grays of my army that really looks better (...or at least that's what I tell myself!).

tBKBMur.png

I think you made the right choice!

Splendid orderlies!

Thank you!  I was really hesitant at first but it has really grown on me.  I'm still wrangling with my cameras tendency to apply too much blue or too much orange/yellow hue to shots so it's actually a bit more white than you see in the final shot but I'm happy with it.

Brother! It's good to see how far you've come with your army since the last time I was here. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir!  I'm currently waiting on the Carnodon to get released so I can pursue the fine art of the CHOOM! once again.

The orderlies are looking really nice, they really are fantastic looking sculpts.

Thanks!  I really do love these sculpts even if they are a bit daunting from a time perspective.  I think I've spent at least 10-12 hours of solid painting on each of these guys, maybe more, but initially that involved some stripping/repainting due to wanting to change the balance of the Rust Scorpion colors against the white of the Medicae.

So while I've been doing the other two orderlies, I have also been using time for washes to dry etc to get started on Aevos and the Auto-gurney.  Yesterday morning I decided it was time to finally knock the Auto-gurney out, I've been delaying it due to concerns about applying the blood on the wounded Auxiliary since that's not really something I've tried before.  I even bought the gore technical paint a long time ago and it was still unopened so I finished painting everything and applied it only to realize...it was way too bright.  I stared at it for a minute and because I'm sometimes stubborn about not running to the internet for answers to questions, I decided I needed to find a good way to darken it up (it was seriously bright, strawberry syrup, red at first which didn't fit with a deep wound like...amputation!) and give it a clotted/drying look.

Thankfully my gut check response worked out really well!  I used a watered down Agrax Earthshade around the center of the wounds and a bit to the outside and then repeated the process with Nuln Oil extremely watered down at the center of the area of trauma.  I have zero idea if this is medically accurate but I'll be damned if it didn't achieve the look I wanted. lol

Oh and just because I could, I applied my camo scheme to the gurney because...you know...umm...STEALTH AUTO-GURNEY!

92z21Sj.png

Brother! It's good to see how far you've come with your army since the last time I was here. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir!  I'm currently waiting on the Carnodon to get released so I can pursue the fine art of the CHOOM! once again.

The Ashen Throne always loves those who remain loyal. :yes:

I will look forward to seeing your efforts, brother.

:biggrin.: Congrats on the Stormhammer pic placement!!! Your Rust Scorpions continue to inspire!

I love the helmet lenses...your brush control is fantastical!!!

Thank you so much for the kind words!  I wish I knew when they were actually going to put it up because I really want to be able to show my Dad as he's been really instrumental in encouraging me to start painting again.  :3

I'm really convinced that every time I take a break from painting my brush control miraculously becomes better for no apparent reason.  Seriously it's the most bizarre phenomenon I've noticed about my painting; it's only further compounded by the fact that I initially had to stop painting entirely for over a decade due to my hands trembling/shaking so much that I could not even do a base coat.  Whenever someone compliments me on brush control it reminds me of how easy something like your hands being still can be taken for granted.

-

Okay, this has been a while coming, but...

ALERT: DEM FEELS INC  :wub:

I'd like to take a moment to really just say thank you to the Bolter & Chainsword community as a whole.  Not sure if it will get seen here or not but when I started this army it consisted of the photoshopped colors of the Rust Scorpions on to the Veletaris artwork and a single model with some background fluff tying it to the walking wounded remnants of the Ash Scorpions.  This initial step has morphed into this surreal ever expanding idea over the course of the years and has also spread out all over the internet.  For example, I was searching for more info on the Ash Scorpions the other day when I found that searching for them results in my Rust Scorpions out numbering the image returns without their name ever being directly mentioned.  For a moment I thought I had typed in Rust Scorpions out of habit but that was not the case.

(My images are the ones marked.)

XryR3jh.png?1

Y5R6iSe.png?1

On the image search, five out of the six returns are being returned from this Bolter & Chainsword thread.  That is amazing!  I struggle to express how much the encouragement here has inspired me to continue forward and refine not only my painting skills but also my photography skills.  The same year I started the 1905th was also the first time I had ever picked up a camera that wasn't in an old cell phone or a disposable one.  Considering I'm 37 years old, when I say an old cell phone, I mean it!

So whether you're commenting, clicking Like, or just lurking in this thread please know that you will always have my gratitude for being here alongside me on this journey.  I'm actively trying to actively expand things now and will be updating this thread regularly; I've included a list of what I am currently working on, as well as already painted, below this to help add some structure to things moving forward. 

I just wanted to take a moment aside today in order to make sure I acknowledged that this community means the world to me.

Thank you again! :biggrin.:

iHSPYGV.png?1

The Doctors Are In!

(I'll get more pics of Aevos tomorrow night, game day tomorrow and I need sleep. Zzz! )

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions'

OOP Character Series: Solar Auxilia Surgeon-Primus Aevos Jovan & Medicae Orderlies

http://i.imgur.com/kxI51Qj.jpg

Really excellent job on the medicae team, the cream of the robes is well done and those reds are nice and vibrant.

Though you thank us for checking in on your work, I'd like to thank you for showcasing it! I always thoroughly enjoy looking through the updates here.

Mate, your stuff here is a damn inspiration!

Thank you!  :sweat:

Really excellent job on the medicae team, the cream of the robes is well done and those reds are nice and vibrant.

Though you thank us for checking in on your work, I'd like to thank you for showcasing it! I always thoroughly enjoy looking through the updates here.

Awesome!  Yeah the Medicae teams robes was kind of a Hail Mary, I'm really glad it worked out though and I should be safe from having to paint anything else white/cream for a while now! :biggrin.:

...and speaking of showcasing images, here is a shot from my game earlier today. 

GUS9SCA.png

It went...okay, I currently lack a really effective way of dealing with Ravenwing bike forces.  It ended up being an Ambush mission with my ass in the middle and then to add insult to injury it was night time with the first turn going to the Ravenwing.  Rad grenades became a serious issue too as their reduction to the Auxilia toughness created an instant-death situation which nullified my Medicae when they closed in on my Lasrifle Section. 

For the first time since painting the Lord Marshal and his Household Guard he finally got to slap some Space Marines around.  Aevos was backing him up and created this really awesome fighting unit with Look Out Sirs being re-rolled due to Aevos being a damn coward (Survivor's Luck) and the Lord Marshal on a few occasions stepping in front of him taking advantage of the 2+ armor save/4+ feels no pain.  As the entire guard fell away from the Lord Marshal and Aevos they survived a Lightnings bombing run of Phosphex; marching straight up to a jetbitke unit only to kill 3 more before he finally got insta-gibbed by the rad grenade shenanigans again.  I think he tallied 4-5 Ravenwing bikes with plasma and 3 jetbikes before finally going down when they were the last two standing.

Also, before heading up there this weekend, I decided it was about time to get a Malcador Infernus to help swat away these bikers and it is enroute now.  If anyone has further suggestions on other ways to do so, I am all ears.  I'm probably going to begin painting the Flamer section unit I got a couple of weeks ago shortly as well but next week should see 2 Auxilia Medusa Artillery Tanks, 1 Auxilia Basilisk, and a Malcador Infernus.  Once those are all painted up, I'm due for a full army picture update and can figure out where to go from there. 

Perhaps it's about time to get spare flight bases from Dragonforge (I'm addicted) for some Thunderbolts and Voss Lightnings! :whistling:

Seriously mate, this stuff is a massive inspiration! While I'm usually burned out on 'Guard', the auxilia have this nice special place in my stone cold traitorous heart (it locks the Blood Angel part of me in the corner) that it's always just wonderful to see. After a rather daunting Vostroyan army that I ended up parting with, I never thought I'd look at 'ornate guard' again, but this is giving me very evil ideas :P  Can't get enough of those rotary cannon troopers!

The medicae is a great way of really putting some added emphasis on some neat display pieces that really pick out unique units, something I feel a lot of large infantry forces traditionally lack. It just heightens their character and gives them life behind the mask. You nailed it.

Now, those vehicles are gorgeous too, everything works and that shot from the battle just shows it all off perfectly .  -hears echoes of 'ambush mission' and has near PTSD flashbacks with a heavy infantry army getting bombarded by artillery- I feel like I should be apologizing... for some reason.  The fight against the 1st legion still sounds pretty rough, especially seeing things like that Fire Raptor.  Hearing about the household guard is just fantastic! I guess Astartes sorts tend to look down on them a little? :P I'd think that the Medusa would be a pretty nice way of tearing some chunks out of Ravenwing and any White Scars you end up tangling with. I really gotta look up what else the Auxilia get. They're pretty rare 'round these parts.

I really do hope to see some more air cover, mate :)  Might well push me over the edge to a pair of Lightnings, too.  Seriously, keep it up, thanks a ton too!  

As a weird post script, despite having painted probably about 40 custodes over a year and some, I've never actually seen them side by side next to a guardsmen... I didn't realized how huge they were compared to them until you put up that picture a bit back.