Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

I know everyone is fixated on the volkites, but I'm wondering if the heavy flamers aren't the better bet on close assault variants. The only thing that will annoy the Leviathan is being tired down by hordes, and two heavy flamers roast auxilia and mechanicum troops much better than 4 volkite ap5 shots. Plus overwatch.

Depends if you've already used your phosphex or not I suppose, and your other main weapons. If you've taken the grav that's probably done a little horde thinning before you charge, plus the phosphex will take out more. If you are toting dual CCW, flamers might help if you pod in, if you are walking I'd still take the volkite

In a Legion list, you should have ample other things taking care of those hordes - it's what those dirty tactical marines are for that everyone forgets about :biggrin.:

2 Calivers won't kill more marines than 2 Heavy Flamers. And you'll regret those words when your freshly-podded dreadnought gets mired by a unit of 20 backfield Auxilia for the whole game.

In a Legion list, you should have ample other things taking care of those hordes - it's what those dirty tactical marines are for that everyone forgets about :biggrin.:

2 Calivers won't kill more marines than 2 Heavy Flamers. And you'll regret those words when your freshly-podded dreadnought gets mired by a unit of 20 backfield Auxilia for the whole game.

Unless they're fearless, I'd highly doubt it since they'd flee. And likely get swept. And a turn spent in cc is a turn you're not getting shot at.

But yes it probably is a bit more viable to take flamers, though rule of cool. YMMV.

Yeah I really wish the Volkites were a free swap-for. It's not hard to throw magnets in there though. I've already done it on two Leviathans under assembly using cylindrical magnets. Just drill a hole in with the pin vice, checking your depth, and then throw the magnet in when it's about flush. 

I'm a big fan of choom, but I'm not sure if they are actually cooler than flame-spewing nipples (even without a Slaaneshi conversion :P).

Holy flaming nips batman!!!!

Edit: it actually sounds like a mixed drink they serve at an exotic bar. "One flaming nipple please!"

Edited by depthcharge12

On topic then, is there anyone who's got a quicker way of resolving the grav-bombard's blast? The tables 'round my way are small, so a large blast's gonna hit at least 13 models and screw that noise with all them D6.

How small a table are we talking about here? Can you bring a Deathstrike missile? :smile.:

You could go by majority strength on a per unit basis.

How small a points game are you running this thing?!

If I had a guy with a pip higher strength under the template I'd want him to have a go on that not be dragged down by his loser pals!

The weapon is brutal enough.

Plus the leviathan is over 300pts, rolling out your hits properly takes no more time than a 20 man tactical squad using fury of the Legion. Especially if some douche in the target unit is wearing artificer armour.

So I don't think that overall it makes your games longer. You'd have those 300pts of not a leviathan doing things and taking time too.

Edited by Sircyn

The Leviathan is well suited to the hard-hitting deep strike assault of the Sons of Horus and fulfills the need for an anti-gargantuan unit. Where Terminators destroy vehicles, and Reavers kill infantry, the Leviathan will fell Titans. It is an armor value 13 dreadnought with 4 hull points and is initiative 5 on the charge capable of destroying lords of war in a single turn of assault. It can hit at the same time as wraithknights and survive the combat then maintain a board presence as it stomps about the opponent's backfield. 

Further, it will suit the Black Reaving Rite of War when deployed in a dreadclaw as the dreadclaw helps meet the necessity for more fast attack than heavy support slots. A powerful, assault oriented dreadnought to support the specialized close-combat strategies and tactics of His trusted Sons will suit my armies well and dominate the board, wherever they land. Additional ranged weaponry is unnecessary for such an effective assault unit. Rather than divert its focus away from a close assault oriented role, spend as few points as possible and simply purchase some armored ceramite on it to protect against unexpected melta shots. 

Edited by Sheesh Mode

I know everyone is fixated on the volkites, but I'm wondering if the heavy flamers aren't the better bet on close assault variants. The only thing that will annoy the Leviathan is being tired down by hordes, and two heavy flamers roast auxilia and mechanicum troops much better than 4 volkite ap5 shots. Plus overwatch.

I'm with you. Volkites are cool, but I'd rather have the flamers. If it was a pair of culvrins I'd change my opinion though.

its +5pts though so its not that big of a deal.

For the 10 points, I'd rather give some sarge AA or a combi weapon