Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

• 3 weeks later...

Say you have your army done, have some spare change, and want to start a small 1250pt army on the side.  Leviathan is the center piece of this army.  What Legion and what else in the army would you take?  Mixed 30k/40k opponents.  So guess a TAC type.

At that low of a points limit? Any legion works.

If you wanted to crank it up to 13, you'd need a few things;

• Ferrus Manus
  • Head of the Gorgon RoW
  • Iron Hands Legion

What this gives you is Leviathans with IWND and Blessed Autosimulacra.

Remember, you're pumping roughly 1/4th of your list into this single model at this point not to mention the minimum 300 for 2 Naked Tac Squads and another 50 for a Naked Centurion.

You now have ~600 Points to make a list work.

At that level, a Kharybdis could be rather good, flying about tipping a bucket load of S6 into things. Alternatively running Twin Stormcannons is especially hell, although Grav woukd be nice for that one guy who'll run Terminators.

Iron Hands do well in small games where Bolters etc are more relevant. Ultramarines get bonuses from their Dreadnoughts allowing reroll 1's to wound on shooting.

Alpha Legion or RG get Infiltrating Grav Rapiers to knock out heavy enemy armour, although arguably the only HQ of worth is a Vigilator who you can put in that squad to Scout anyway.

Other legions... Not so many benefits at this level. I'd recommend Grav and a Pod to kill Grav Rapiers, with a phosphex, Volkites and Stormcannon at low points, unless you think you might face MC's in which case Claw all the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have the rules for the new arm shown this weekend? I saw some reference to it being a poor choice, but didn't see the actual rules.

Yeah, it's a three shot 18" S9 meltagun.

Considering it comes with 2 standard meltaguns in claws I'd rather stick with that and benefit in close combat where the leviathan is harder to get damaged instead of sitting at range with slightly more meltapower.

Copy paste!

Lots of Dakka but kind of a Waste on the platform especially for his cost.

Rather go with Chest AC's, Grav-Flux Bombard and Claw/Drill in a pod.

Drop down, Splat a TEQ or weaker with the Bombard, Pepper the survivors with 8 S6 Rending Shots while staying in the pod to weather the return fire.

T2, Hop out if you havent been forced out by the pod going boom. Splat and Pepper again and charge something.

If you want more of an AT Version, take the Melta Lance which is 18" S9 Ap1 Heavy 3, Melta with a Drill and 2 Chest ACs.

While most tanks will be like "LOL MELTA" you'll be all like "LOL S9 AP1 ANYWAYS!" and blow stuff up on a 5+ if you pen, which you do on a 6+ vs Av14.

With 3 Shots at BS5, 1in6 chances to pen (Av14) and a further 1in3 to "Explode" you have pretty good odds to instagib a vehicle. Then you have the Drills In-Hand Melta Gun at S8 Ap1 for another chance at blowing up the target.

With further possible glances being dealt with 8 S6 Rending shots with the AC's.

And if they dont have Armored Ceramite? Welp, guaranteed pens for days, pretty much.

If they survive into the next turn and dont run the hell away? Welp, say hi to S10 Armorbane Drill!

Vs 6 Shots S7 Sunder per cannon. You'll be nuking MEQ inside the threat bubble and Av13 or lower but thats about it.

Copy paste!

Lots of Dakka but kind of a Waste on the platform especially for his cost.

Rather go with Chest AC's, Grav-Flux Bombard and Claw/Drill in a pod.

Drop down, Splat a TEQ or weaker with the Bombard, Pepper the survivors with 8 S6 Rending Shots while staying in the pod to weather the return fire.

T2, Hop out if you havent been forced out by the pod going boom. Splat and Pepper again and charge something.

If you want more of an AT Version, take the Melta Lance which is 18" S9 Ap1 Heavy 3, Melta with a Drill and 2 Chest ACs.

While most tanks will be like "LOL MELTA" you'll be all like "LOL S9 AP1 ANYWAYS!" and blow stuff up on a 5+ if you pen, which you do on a 6+ vs Av14.

With 3 Shots at BS5, 1in6 chances to pen (Av14) and a further 1in3 to "Explode" you have pretty good odds to instagib a vehicle. Then you have the Drills In-Hand Melta Gun at S8 Ap1 for another chance at blowing up the target.

With further possible glances being dealt with 8 S6 Rending shots with the AC's.

And if they dont have Armored Ceramite? Welp, guaranteed pens for days, pretty much.

If they survive into the next turn and dont run the hell away? Welp, say hi to S10 Armorbane Drill!

Vs 6 Shots S7 Sunder per cannon. You'll be nuking MEQ inside the threat bubble and Av13 or lower but thats about it.

The leviathan can now take assault cannons??

People are hating on the melta lance for not being a lance and only 3 shots for 6 barrels (although a multimelta has two barrels, so I imagine this as three stuck together and supercharged for -6" +1S), but I'm a fan.

I'm going to build one with drill/melta/phosphex and another with claw/bombard/phosphex. Nipple assault cannons would have been cute, oh well, I guess you can always bring shattered Legion leviathans. :D

So, for my Night Lords, i´m considering getting 1 or 2 levvies (in a talon) for the Terror Assault RoW´s only haevy support choice. As the NL shine in Anti Infantry, they often lack at AT. Which loadout would you guys recommend for me?

So, for my Night Lords, i´m considering getting 1 or 2 levvies (in a talon) for the Terror Assault RoW´s only haevy support choice. As the NL shine in Anti Infantry, they often lack at AT. Which loadout would you guys recommend for me?

Siege Drill, then either the melta Lance or grav bombard. I'd lean towards the bombard as you can delete 2+ armour units with that.

I think I would agree with the above. The melta lance is nice, but the first turn you're probably shooting your phosphex and the bombard meshes better with that.  In subsequent turns, you still get a meltagun and bombard attack, and then charge with a whole lot of S10 armorbane attacks, so you should still wreck the vast majority of vehicles.  If you face a lot of knights and other dreadnoughts, though, the melta lance is a good choice.

With a cortus contemptor with dual grav fists only costing 175 points, they are my go-to dreads for attacking vehicles with shooting.