[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

They do look darn good. Only change I would make is have the drake skin on the helmet a different shade of green or colour to differentiate it from the armour.

For Vulkan brother.

They do look darn good. Only change I would make is have the drake skin on the helmet a different shade of green or colour to differentiate it from the armour.

For Vulkan brother.

Thanks baz!! They are a different color, its just hard to tell with the lighting and my poor phone camera :(

Here are some better pics that hopefully show it! The skin is darkened with nuln oil so it does actually end up looking close to the armor color:

gallery_87472_11470_70114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Istvaan's black sand reminded him of the ash on Nocturne. It surrounded him. Almost buried him.

The force of the blast had thrown him far from where he had stood. Sensors in his helmet reported damaged limbs,

failing systems. Aryeh had no time for such concerns. His brothers were falling around him. Traitors yet stood.

Lifting himself up, he swore the traitor's ashes would blend well with the black sand.

"Into the fires of battle my brothers! Unto the Anvil of War!"

gallery_87472_11470_375108.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_328921.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_373297.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_461235.jpg

Finished the Praetor for my force, Aryeh Avraham. Super pleased with how he turned out, wanted to draw attention to him and have him look like the leader he is. Hope ya'll enjoy!

Edited by BlueBelly1863

Nice Preator. You do achieve a great look. Awesome freehand drake on the cape, i wouldn't even attempt that, take a bow. I would be tempted to add flame like fissures on the axe to represent magma, it looks a little too plain for a sallies power weapon. Don't forget drill your gun barrels for vulkan!

Nice Preator. You do achieve a great look. Awesome freehand drake on the cape, i wouldn't even attempt that, take a bow. I would be tempted to add flame like fissures on the axe to represent magma, it looks a little too plain for a sallies power weapon. Don't forget drill your gun barrels for vulkan!

Thank you Baz!! Glad you like him! I'm pretty happy with the freehand, so I'm glad it looks good to others. I like the idea for the axe, but I'm wondering how that would look...I'm all for making it look better, cause it is very plain right now. What would your suggestion look like? Is that something you've done with yours? 

I gotta tell you guys, seeing my brother's progress on these always makes my day without fail. Truman has really come into his own with this project and taken everything he does to that next step. Vulkan Lives! 

Thanks bro! You know that means a lot to me coming from you. Just trying to get better with every model! I want to write more fluff for all of my guys.. I may start a thread in the finished armies log with just a lil bit of fluff on each squad and figure. We'll see! 

Salutations fellow Horus Heresy enthusiasts! I finished my first vow for the ETL, my praetor and a veteran tactical squad. Below are the pictures! (sorry for the awkward background/setting! Posting pictures of painted models waits for no one!)

gallery_87472_11470_32887.jpggallery_87472_11470_32552.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_94149.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_58524.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_4088.jpg

With the veteran sarge, I emphasized the black even more than on the regular models. Black head dress, black tassels in front, black power fist, and "Death" written on the left shoulder pad. Hope to write up some short fluff to explain all of this. Have the idea in my head, just wanna flesh it out. Looks cool though, at least I think!

"On Istvaan V we were tested, such as metals in a forge fire. Hammered, bent, broken. But we are made of the metals of Nocturne. We will not be broken again. We will put the traitors to the fire, in time. We will make them burn for what they have done." -Aryeh Avraham, Praetor of the Ashen Brigade

Edited by BlueBelly1863

I love your sallies Bluebelly from the painting to the fluff have grade A work all around. Really helps keep me motivated to get mine finished hopefully I'll get my fluff fleshed out soon and get it posted

I love your sallies Bluebelly from the painting to the fluff have grade A work all around. Really helps keep me motivated to get mine finished hopefully I'll get my fluff fleshed out soon and get it posted

Thanks so much Pyro! Glad I can be a source of motivation for you, I know finding motivation on here helps me a lot so I hope I can do the same for you! I want to do more fluff besides the few sentences and loose ideas I have spread out through this thread. But, like you, I'm more focused on getting some minis painted right now! 

Next up for the Ashen Brigade will be the cataphractii terminators from the BaC box! Stay tuned everyone! 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm working on my second vow for ETL V now, but I'm considerably less enthused about what I'm working on now that my last squad of tacticals and my praetor. I'm working on a squad of cataphractii terminators from the BaC set, but something about them isn't really clicking for me. Here's a picture:

gallery_87472_11470_52605.jpg

Since taking this I've done the rest of the metal bits with leadbealcher, and a few beginnings of some flams but I've kind of hit a wall. They're not anywhere near completion, but something still doesn't feel right about them. Maybe its the lack of space to add detail? Maybe it's because of lack of places to highlight?

I am thinking of leaving the tassles black, to fit into the theme of my army, but any suggestions for alternatives with those are welcome. Would love any other advice on how to spice them up a bit or encouragement to just get over myself and slog through them :tongue.: Also, I've seen some people highlight the inside edges of armor pieces that line up with the trimming, but I would think that should shaded.... what say you?

Picture isn't great, but ill give you some thoughts. Personally I really like these mini's many large flat areas great for free handing.

A. Keep scheme as is , add free hand scales to the shoulder pads and flames to the legs.

B. Change the shoulder pad colours. Top pad black, mid pad green tassels black. Flames on the now black pads, and more on legs or scales.

Also these guys are vets so different colour helmets or trim?

Edited by our_baz

Looking good brother I love the way your army is coming together. I know that wall you're talking about all too well lol I feel like I've been pounding my head against it for a week now with my first vow. I thought I was doing myself a favor only doing one squad but I didn't consider the fact that it would mean I'd be stuck on that one squad til it's done. Just gotta keep pushing through it'll be worth it at the end. The only thing I can think to spice your termis up would be maybe do some free hand work on those flat panels after all salamanders gotta have flames rite? Any who keep up the good work brother for the XVIII AND FOR VULKAN !!!!

Picture isn't great, but ill give you some thoughts. Personally I really like these mini's many large flat areas great for free handing.

A. Keep scheme as is , add free hand scales to the shoulder pads and flames to the legs.

B. Change the shoulder pad colours. Top pad black, mid pad green tassels black. Flames on the now black pads, and more on legs or scales.

Also these guys are vets so different colour helmets or trim?

Thanks baz! Yeah the picture isn't the best I know, not my typical working conditions. :sad.: But I like that idea for the shoulder pads, I'll try black on them and I'll work on the freehanding! 

@pyroclast91 thanks for the comments and compliments! Freehand will definitely happen :biggrin.:

I suggest black on the terminators' shoulder pads as well, but that's because black pauldrons make everything better that's how I see Salamanders.

I've browsed through the thread and haven't seen it... where did you get this huge axe?

Lovely work by the way!

I always do black, for all marines. Adds contrast to otherwise all green models. 

I shall paint said pauldrons black tonight, and make some more progress to see how I feel about the whole affair :biggrin.:  will post results! Thanks for the advice and gracious compliments friends! 

@Knight: I'm actually not sure where that axe comes from! I found it in my bits box and thought it would go perfectly with that model! Yay for battle axes! 

Okay, with the black added along with some details, I'm starting to like these guys more. I'm going to the beach this week, but I may have time to make more progress on them. Here's hoping! This is what they look like now (sorry again for poop pic quality, but it gets the point across methinks):

gallery_87472_11470_6969.jpg

ERRRRR MAAAA GERRRRDDDD!!!!!! I'm diggin it man now they look like drakes you're making me re-think doing mine up as IH if I hadn't already started sculpting on them I'd totally be copying you keep up the awesome work brother you're really doing the XVIII proud

• 1 month later...

Gosh it's been over a month since I've posted an update. Work and summer distractions have taken me away from my painting table, plus my mom and stepdad don't let me paint in the house which makes things a tad more difficult. However I'm back at it, and will have my termies done by tomorrow or thursday if everything goes according to plan. Just have to base them and do touch-ups on the painting. Glad to have them done. One more squad to paint, then I'm done with the BaC set. Next step is to purchase some metal boxes for my sallies to ride around in! 

Well after a long break, I got back to the painting table this week and finished up my second vow to the ETL, my squad of cataphractii terminators. Pretty happy with how they came out. I might go back later and do a bit more detail work (more flames are always needed) but there's not a lot of free space to work with so I'm not sure. Glad to have them all done though and ready for the tabletop!

Pics:

gallery_87472_11470_30461.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_97749.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_97206.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_9508.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_45097.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_52743.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoy! C&C is always welcome.

All I have left to paint now is one more veteran squad! Then I'll let myself start to think about what to purchase next to add to my force. For Vulkan!!

Awesome work brother the Ashen Brigade is coming together quite nicely.The one bit of advice I would offer and it's solely based on preference on your flames try to make your yellow area a little smaller so you get a bit more orange and red in there. But like I said it's all how you prefer em. Keep up the awesome work man.