[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues on the knight, and this image actually related back to my sallies! Yay! I painted the shoulder pads and some other armor pieces, and one of the shoulder pads is done in the style of the Salamanders in order to show the knight's fealty to the Sons of Vulkan. Enjoy!

gallery_87472_12350_25064.jpg

Well, after a month or so of focus and work on the model, my first imperial knight is all done!! It was a blast putting the model together and seeing all the work I put into it fall into place. Hope ya'll enjoy! C&C is always welcome. I go into more detail over on the individual thread if you're interested in seeing more of what went into the knight and all the little details!

gallery_87472_12350_37412.jpggallery_87472_12350_92601.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_33979.jpg

With the finishing up of this project, it's back to my Salamanders! One last veteran tactical squad to paint. I've also started drilling gun barrels now that I have my hobby drill, so there's some tedious work to be done, going back through all of my minis and drilling the barrels on all of the bolters. But, worth it. I'll have more hopefully next week, as I have fall break this weekend!

Three more veterans of the Ashen Brigade have gotten their new armor plates and are ready for the battlefield!

gallery_87472_11470_5625.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_30074.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_98077.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_73755.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_20929.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_39407.jpg

Only six more vets to go, and then I shall wait patiently for Prospero to come out! For Vulkan!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some fun news: I'm almost done with everything I've had on my painting desk for the past year! I've been working on this Salamanders force since I got a box of BaC about a year ago and now I'm almost done. I promised myself I wouldn't buy more minis until I finished the entire box (the knight was a gift, it doesn't count I swear :tongue.:) and I'm almost at that point! Three more vets are almost done, and then there are just three more to go. 

In anticipation of this milestone, I've placed an order to Forge World with a gift certificate I've been sitting on for a while! Pretty pumped about what I have on the way:

-Volkite Calvier set

-MkIV Salamander shoulder pads 

-Firedrakes!!!! 

Plan to use the shoulder pads to replace some of the 'plain' ones on my BaC vets, to give them a bit more flavor and uniqueness. Volkites will wait for some BoP MkIII marines, and the Firedrakes I'm super excited for. For Vulkan, Ever Onwards! 

Here's some fun news: I'm almost done with everything I've had on my painting desk for the past year!

*looks at cobwebs on painting station* You lucky, high-willed bastard.

I must admit I never cared for firedrakes, but I sure like them more than the indomitus assault plastics.

Lack of budget and time has helped me restrain myself, usually I'm not this disciplined (to which my brother can attest) :tongue.:

They're a bit clunky, but I want to take a crack at them because I think they look pretty sweet and they seem to be the hallmark unit for a Salamander force (along with Pyroclasts). Plus I needed a big tough infantry unit that can take a lot of punishment! 

Edit: me spell more better 

Edited by BlueBelly1863

Look guys!! I finished painting three more toy soldiers!! Satisfied with how they turned out, it's turning into a bit of a grind now in all honesty so I'm looking forward to shaking things up with the firedrakes. Now that I have a decent sized force assembled, I really want to take more time with units and make the posing more dynamic and unique. Building has always been an aspect of the hobby I'm a bit poor at simply because I'm always too eager to get them assembled. I must learn patience! Anyways, here are the pics of the three new veterans:

gallery_87472_11470_80954.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_40244.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_76774.jpg

(Look! A hebrew letter! Gosh I need to work on my fluff for these guys....)

gallery_87472_11470_66403.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_90129.jpg

With these three done, just three more to go now!

I'm with you that painting rank and file can become a grind, but patience is a virtue and a key tenant of the promethium creed.  Three more to go then Firedrake time!Looking over the evolution of your force I'm inclinded to say these latest troops are your best yet. the flame work is top notch :thumbsup:

I'm with you that painting rank and file can become a grind, but patience is a virtue and a key tenant of the promethium creed.  Three more to go then Firedrake time!Looking over the evolution of your force I'm inclinded to say these latest troops are your best yet. the flame work is top notch :thumbsup:

Truth, just time to push through! Work will commence tonight! (Going to try and set up a better way to take pictures as well....) Thanks so much for the continued comments and compliments Baz, I appreciate it greatly! 

Another wonderful Salamanders army! I like what you've done with the black helmets.

I think I am now leaning heavily on combining both my Calth and Prospero boxes into one Salamanders army.

Thanks for the kind words SickSix! I'm glad the helmets stand out, I look forward to hopefully giving these guys more character as time goes on. 

Hope you decide to take the plunge and join the legion! We could always use more friends, and green is a blast to paint! Please let me know if you do, always excited to welcome another Son of Vulkan! 

• 2 weeks later...

Look what I got in the mail today!!

gallery_87472_11470_105624.jpg

Beyond pumped about this Forge World order. Mk IV Salamanders shoulder pads, Volkite Calivers, and FIREDRAKES!!! Sadly the timing isn't great, as for the next week and a half it's pretty much a sprint to the end of the semester here at school, full of essays, projects, and studying. I'm going to do what I can, but I think the Firedrakes will have to wait until winter break. Hopefully will get the shoulder pad swaps done today or tomorrow though, shouldn't be too hard to get them all painted up!

I also got a rhino as an early Hanukkah present, which will be coming in the mail soon. Thank goodness too, I need something for my veterans to ride around in!

Edit: me spell more better

Edited by BlueBelly1863

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when I said I would do a shoulder pad swap in a day or two? Well that went out the door. I traveled for my internship and then have been buried under essays and final exams. But I finished most of my work now, so I allowed myself to get some painting done! Here are four of the new shoulder pads; I simply slapped them onto already painted miniatures.

gallery_87472_11470_93228.jpg

Glued on onto a vet that has yet to be painted fully, and then I'm saving the rest for a rainy day/more MkIV armor. Gotta build up my bits box!

Moving on from them, I've started to revisit my least favorite miniatures from the B@C box set, the cataphractii captain. I did some work on him at the very beginning of this project, but got a bit fed up and frustrated after some ideas didnt pan out on him and I kinda muffed the model. Hence why I usually don't get too creative during the assembly process, something I vow to work on. However, I've revisited him tonight and got some work done on him, swapped a few colors around and took a suggestion about painting Salamanders weapons that was tossed my way a while back on this thread by our_baz (big ups!!! thank you!!) and put it to use on the paragon blade of the captain:

gallery_87472_11470_99924.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_84350.jpg

The lines definitely need to be a bit thinned down a bit but I wanted to a test to get the general feel for it. i kind of like the look, what do you all think? Definitely need some feedback on this one, I'm seemingly continuously unsatisfied with this model. Of random note, I think I need new brushes.....

Thanks for looking friends! (Except if you're a traitor! You guys are mean! :biggrin.:)

Vulkan Lives.

looks fantastic man I've done the same on some of my power weapons and will probably do it on some of my ash Vipers. I think I'd have to agree with your bro if you're gonna do anything to it spots of bright yellow where three lines intersect might help it pop.

I concur with the comments above. Add a bright yellow at the intersections/branch points. Also don't forget to edge highlight the blade too. Think you could really go to town on this model with freehand designs on the armour and cloak on this guy.