[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

Small update from me! Back at school which means back to painting. I finished more vets, including a vexilia which im pretty proud of. Only have nine minis left to paint, and then i have to figure out my next addition to the force.

gallery_87472_11470_64444.jpg

Legionnaires in the process of being painted

completed vets:

gallery_87472_11470_75917.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_117582.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_30306.jpg

Close up of the vexilia, which im super pumped about:

gallery_87472_11470_26770.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoy, C&C always welcome. Exciting to almost have a fully painted force, another three are on the way right now. Considering starting a thread in the Hall of Honor to really show off each mini and develop a backstory for each figure. Have this thread be all about the work on the models, and then have that to display them, what do ya'll think?

Awesome work brother glad to hear you're able to paint again. That vexilla is fantastic keep up the awesome work man and I was actually just thinking about doing the same thing with the hall of honour so I'd say do it.

Thank you all for your kind words!

@Xenith @Brother Pheidias Improvement is the goal, and looking back on some the first sallies I painted last year, I already want to do slight touch-ups and repaints. :tongue.: Glad you like them!

@Pyroclast91, thank you brother! Was really happy with the vexilia, can't wait to put it on the tabletop. When I get the time, I'll make that thread!

All of those wants and wishes must be put on hold however, as thanks to my brother @Son of Carnelian, I know have a new, very exciting project to work on that will not wait for other things:

gallery_87472_11470_66898.jpg

Knight Titan!!! I'm super pumped (and pretty intimidated) to get this project underway. I have a lot of decisions to make, i.e. color scheme and equipment. Any advice is very much welcome on any part of the process: assembly, armament, painting, etc. I want the knight to have a unique color scheme, but somewhere on it have signs of loyalty to the salamanders. Going to get started after class today, I'll of course post pictures updating ya'll! This is by far the biggest model I've ever worked on, and I'm super pumped.

WINNING!!!! That's awesome brother did you split renegade with your bro or did you get the full kit? Which of the weapons do you have? Also are you going stock or converting your newly acquired god machine? If you haven't already I would definitely download freeblade it's free and there's so many epic knight weapons in there plus it's a great way to see how certain colors and parts look on the knights oh and it's one of the most amazing cell phone games ever made ;) Anywho that's awesome brother that first superheavy is a pretty awesome feeling. I'm in the same boat of indecision with mine though my knight's been sitting half assembled with a metallic base on the chassis since my birthday before last lol. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with this beast.

WINNING!!!! That's awesome brother did you split renegade with your bro or did you get the full kit? Which of the weapons do you have? Also are you going stock or converting your newly acquired god machine? If you haven't already I would definitely download freeblade it's free and there's so many epic knight weapons in there plus it's a great way to see how certain colors and parts look on the knights oh and it's one of the most amazing cell phone games ever made :wink: Anywho that's awesome brother that first superheavy is a pretty awesome feeling. I'm in the same boat of indecision with mine though my knight's been sitting half assembled with a metallic base on the chassis since my birthday before last lol. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with this beast.

He bought renegade, and then gave me the knight paladin as a gift!! (cause he totally rocks) I have the paladin kit, I'm interested in possibly magnetizing the weapons but there may not be much of a point as there are like two options haha. Gonna look at the stats here in a second on battlescribe and then figure it out! Let's get our knights built brother!! 

Don't assemble the whole thing before painting.

Know what parts will never be seen because other parts block or hide them from sight, no point spending lots of time perfectly painting a part that you will never see once it is completed.

For colour scheme I have found a quartered colour scheme to work really well on knights. Perhaps you could show a connection to the Salamander's by either painting an arm Salamander colours, or have some kind of Salamander symbol somewhere gifted to the knight in recognition of his actions alongside the legion. Using a Salamander storm shield for the shield generator shield could be a good way.

Hmmmm...... So brother I was just thinking. Ya know we both play salamanders, both of our armies are set in the aftermath of Istvaan making it totally plausible that our forces would cross paths even directly interact, we both also have unfinished knights, and neither of us have chosen a household or colors. What are your thoughts on a collaborative project?

Hmmmm...... So brother I was just thinking. Ya know we both play salamanders, both of our armies are set in the aftermath of Istvaan making it totally plausible that our forces would cross paths even directly interact, we both also have unfinished knights, and neither of us have chosen a household or colors. What are your thoughts on a collaborative project?

SOunds like a killer idea to me. I'll pm you when i can and we can figure something out! :biggrin.:

Hey ya'll. So my brother and I are thinking of putting in an order to Forge World. Knowing what I have now (BaC units and a knight) what does everyone think I should invest in next to improve my army on the table?? Any suggestions would be welcome! Can't decide between Firedrakes or some armor

Thanks for the feedback guys! My brother and I are holding off on ordering for now to put together a big big order later, and hopefully a spartan or a sicarian will be a part of that order!!!!

Here's a small update, as I won't bog down with WIP thread about 30k sallies with too much about the knight (highly encourage everyone to check out Pyroclast91's and my collaborative knight WIP thread, link is in my signature).

gallery_87472_12350_46985.jpggallery_87472_12350_134409.jpg

One of the shoulders is going to be laden with salamanders iconography to indicate the knight house's loyalty to the legion.

I'll also be taking suggestions/votes as to which traitor legion I should paint for the wrecked turret on a custom base I bought for the knight:

gallery_87472_12350_121816.jpg

Awwwwww yeeeaaaah brother (in Randy savage voice). I'm glad we opted for the dark blue I'll get a couple layers on mine tomorrow when I get back to my house. I'm away at a family reunion at the moment and I'm haVing plastic withdrawals. Anywho that looks sick man I dig it keep up the awesome work.

I reiterate the others the base is epic. However I would suggest Death Guard for the tank, if your going for a Istvaan base, sallies were tasked with clearing the DG out of the way, so it would fit fluff wise. But a red WB certainly would pop next to the green. Edited by our_baz

More progress on the knight, as I'm devoting all of my painting efforts to it at the time being. I painted the skeleton completely leadbealcher and then some spots warplock bronze, then did a heavy wash of nuln oil, and then did some drybrushed highlights with runefang steel.

gallery_87472_12350_31488.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_1742.jpggallery_87472_12350_33485.jpg

Well here's another update of progress on the knight!! Lots of work has gotten done, the best part of all of it is the base. I took baz's suggestion and went with Death Guard!

gallery_87472_12350_37201.jpg

Top armer piece and the chest piece. Have since added some freehand hebrew letters to the top armor piece.

gallery_87472_12350_37593.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_86017.jpg

Some lines of litany on the lower leg armor plates! I wanted the one on the right to have the feel of a list of engagements or planets the knight has fought on, I hope I captured it well enough. Also have a written "Death to Traitors" on one of the plates as if the pilot added it after the heresy was revealed and the knight joined the Salamanders in their attack on Istvaan V.

Okay, base time. One of the best things I've ever painted in my opinion. Also finally followed Mehman's tutorial on weathering a few pages back and weathered the turret, and it turned out beautifully. Really simple, and might have a test mini with weathering on it for the Ashen Brigade soon. Enjoy the pics!

gallery_87472_12350_26338.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_90879.jpg

gallery_87472_12350_132126.jpg

More details are over on the WIP thread for the knight! C&C always welcome!!

Way to blow rite past me In the progress department :) it'd help if I didn't take on 8 projects at once I suppose. The work you've done so far on this thing is epic you're really setting the bar high if I'm suppose to make it look like our knight's were painted on the same planet ;) keep up the awesome work brother

Some of the best stuff my brother has ever done is in the above reply. I love all of it. 

Thank you brother! Means the world coming from my role model for painting models! (teehee see what I did there? lul.)

Way to blow rite past me In the progress department :smile.: it'd help if I didn't take on 8 projects at once I suppose. The work you've done so far on this thing is epic you're really setting the bar high if I'm suppose to make it look like our knight's were painted on the same planet :wink: keep up the awesome work brother

haha thanks Pyro!! It's the main thing sitting on my painting desk right now, so I'm really working hard on it! Taking it one step and section at a time has really made it a lot less daunting. I really appreciate the compliments!! Can't wait to see what you do with yours!