New chaplain model

Jorre

Honestly, I'm not going to get the BaC box (at least in the near future). Currently painting my fourth and fifth Tactical Squads, it is leaving me a little burned out when it comes to painting red marines and the thought of painting another 30 makes me wince.

Due to my lack of time and the fact that I want to complete my Blood Angels before starting anything else (oh the naivety!), I will not be painting them up as anything else. I've also got Dark Elves, Eldar, House Delaque gang, Orks, Space Hulk and Talisman to get round to...

All the BaC hype has made me think, I must have that boxed set, but taking a closer look at the miniatures, I don't really like them, which is odd because the forgeworld Mark iv stuff i do like, and surely they are the same right? But I dunno, they don't seem as detailed and just frankly don't look as good. Not to mention if you really wanna BA them up, 30 marines worth of upgrades is pricey. Getting a bit off topic here huh, still love the chaplain, and by the way, thanks for pointing out the moustache!!! Now I'm gonna have to call him Pepe.

Eldar?!? And you scolded me for Heresy Death Guard! Brothers, our Reclusiarch is a Xeno-sympathiser msn-wink.gif

Tasty chappy though. If I didn't have about 6 maybe I'd buy him... Although my chappy guard could always use more plastic...

The Orks came with the second edition 40k box sets (of which I have two sets rolleyes.gif) and the Eldar arrived with those blue marines ~ seventeen years ago. I suppose not throwing them in the bin can be considered sympathetic...

All the BaC hype has made me think, I must have that boxed set, but taking a closer look at the miniatures, I don't really like them, which is odd because the forgeworld Mark iv stuff i do like, and surely they are the same right? But I dunno, they don't seem as detailed and just frankly don't look as good. Not to mention if you really wanna BA them up, 30 marines worth of upgrades is pricey. Getting a bit off topic here huh, still love the chaplain, and by the way, thanks for pointing out the moustache!!! Now I'm gonna have to call him Pepe.

Yeah, I realise I've posted in the wrong thread and created a tangent... Oops ermm.gif

Eldar?!? And you scolded me for Heresy Death Guard! Brothers, our Reclusiarch is a Xeno-sympathiser msn-wink.gif

Tasty chappy though. If I didn't have about 6 maybe I'd buy him... Although my chappy guard could always use more plastic...

The Orks came with the second edition 40k box sets (of which I have two sets rolleyes.gif) and the Eldar arrived with those blue marines ~ seventeen years ago. I suppose not throwing them in the bin can be considered sympathetic...

Orks I can get behind, everyone loves those zoggin gitz! But space elves! I agree though, never throw away models.

I have 3 Chaplains so far ( 1 jump and 2 foot) and am currently elaborately kit bashing a 4th. I have parts earmarked for at least 3 more and an unpainted metal Lemartes.

I'm still going to buy this new one.

(May have a problem...)

Eldar?!? And you scolded me for Heresy Death Guard! Brothers, our Reclusiarch is a Xeno-sympathiser ;)

The Orks came with the second edition 40k box sets (of which I have two sets :rolleyes:) and the Eldar arrived with those blue marines ~ seventeen years ago. I suppose not throwing them in the bin can be considered sympathetic...

Orks I can get behind, everyone loves those zoggin gitz! But space elves! I agree though, never throw away models.

There's always the sell-on-eBay-and-buy-more-Blood-Angels option..? Or if you're bored of BA something you can fluffily ally with them - which I suppose you can with Eldar at a push...

That Chaplain model is so cool that I almost don't care about the price tag. What however might prevent me from actually painting it, is that I don't feel my painting skills would ever do it justice.

Heresy!

Seriously though, if you're worried about that, find someone who's skills you respect and ask them to paint it for you for a few beers or barters or something. I've done that for people on a budget before, but I don't think I'm that great of a painter either. 

I see your point, but I won't be fielding anything I haven't painted myself. At least that's how I feel for now.

All the BaC hype has made me think, I must have that boxed set, but taking a closer look at the miniatures, I don't really like them, which is odd because the forgeworld Mark iv stuff i do like, and surely they are the same right? But I dunno, they don't seem as detailed and just frankly don't look as good.

I thought that too on the basis of some of the scanned rulebook pics from BaC itself. But then I saw some pics of the bare plastics that someone was selling and they look very good and crisp. They are well detailed but they are in very plain armour with no "bling". That will probably appeal to some but not others.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11988481_1005442369479331_8224895651343946435_n.jpg?oh=3194aaf7db7b3f83d7fcfc1a1deb3fe6&oe=56B12C69

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12243436_1005442386145996_4028384921410992550_n.jpg?oh=248d62f5e55d6d2a11e9c1f4594ffdf5&oe=56F9D8FC

Yeah those close ups certainly do make them look a lot crisper, not sold on the studs though, the angled ones on the shoulder pad look terrible.

They're the same as all plastic studded shoulder pads. A symptom of plastic injection moulding. Can be somewhat rectified by paint...

Doesn't seem to be a problem with forgeworld resin versions, I wonder what's different about the process that causes that issue. Not that it is a big issue, like you say it can be rectified, could even just shave some off with a file to make it round. I worry that I am turning into a forgeworld yuppie!

​[http://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/blood-angel-chaplain-1.jpghttp://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/blood-angel-chaplain-2.jpg

While I must say that I kinda like the look of this good chap, I wonder what in Hel's name is the left part of his armour supposed to be? Is that some kind of vibe now, everyone must aspire to become Astrowrath? Or is that merely painted on(fingers crossed)?

It's a nice try, but the overall pose looks like it would need a ton of cutting, re-fitting and glueing it all back together. That foot has a very painful angle (ever landed like that after a jump? Say goodbye to your ankle!) and the infernus pistol arm's just hanging there, looking sad and doing not much more.

Digging the crest, the shoulderpad and the raised leg(can I have two please? :D ), though. I always felt many marine miniatures looked rather scrawny and fragile rather than bulky and intimidating. I think this one looks the part, a bit top-heavy, which is obviously due to the wings and shoulderpads. Nice overall feeling to it.

The wings look cool, too (on an Eldar smile.png ).

Snorri

​[http://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/blood-angel-chaplain-1.jpghttp://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/blood-angel-chaplain-2.jpg

Picture also shows what seems to be Captain Karlaen...why would they be showing a picture of him?

everyone must aspire to become Astrowrath?

Mephiston started it, not Astorath. I like it.

Yeah, which makes even less sense. Meph is a Librarian, not a chaplain. I don't mind it on Meph since it's been that way for a looong time, but seeing it on PFI chaplains now makes it less special. That, and it seems like a feeble attempt at representing "that dual nature" of the Blood Angels. Red crosses apparently don't do it anymore, now we must give more hints to allies and foes alike rolleyes.gif

It's like that Chaplain's strutting around the battlefield waiting for an imperial soldier going like:

- 'Hey, there, do the Blood Angels have some sort of duality going on, by chance?'

And he'll be like..

- 'Oooh, you noticed! Thanks, we happen to do so! It's actually pretty hardcore, I don't wanna talk about it. We've had it before it was cool!'

Damn hipsters. dry.png

I'll probably get the model, but it's going to be one hell of work to get that left side all fixed.

Snorri

Archived