Potentially BS 2 overwatch would suit them, as the guns are steadied by the Shields?

I think breachers are very popular, they just get bemoaned on the net for not being the best troop choice. Really they're pretty good and let you field an effective unit as your compulsory.

So like bashing the enemy in the face with the shield. That would work.

I still the quick fix is to just to make the in vul re rollable

Agreed - rerollable invulnerable against blasts and hammer of Wrath attacks after being charged or making a charge (a grind effect).

Potentially BS 2 overwatch would suit them, as the guns are steadied by the Shields?

I think breachers are very popular, they just get bemoaned on the net for not being the best troop choice. Really they're pretty good and let you field an effective unit as your compulsory.

Yeah, I think people love the aesthetic and although expensive, they do fit the bill as a Troops choice.

I fail to see how a 4+ invulnerable save against blasts is ridiculous yet a storm shield having a 3+ save is okay!

But I'm all for toning down. 5+ against blasts would still work wonders.

Stock FNP is easy too.

For the record, I'm not a fan of how the Storm Shields are ruled. Although they were less effective than what they are, the original 4++ Invulnerable Save in CC was what they used to be. It wasn't until 5th Edition Space Marines gave them a 3++ Shield. They are at least concurrent with the existing rules.

As a reasonably capable player, I've yet to find the breachers under perform (I'll leave that to the Recon Squad, cheers), and aside from the usual "aww, man, thee guys are my favourite unit, I wish they were so much obviously better so that everyone had to use them and then I can complain about how I liked them before it was cool", I don't really see a need to change them.

You could get away with just giving them a points drop really and maybe access to Rhino tanks but other than that they aren't too bad. Hell you could go all out and give them Slow and Purposeful but that may be a bit over the top.

You could also make disturbingly expensive one shot titan killers.

And before anyone interjects, I'm fully aware of the ridiculousness in points cost with an over reliance on an expensive transport to get there.

20 breachers, all meltabombs, spartan. Nudge under 800 points. 20 armourbane meltabombs. Obviously you'd want to aim for something their cost or higher and no competitive gamer would probably ever attempt such madness. Good laugh trying though

Quick question : can we be part of both clubs ? :P

What about for a made up unit? I did a breacher shield on my TDA praetor and I'm considering doing a squad of TDA breachers for my Dusk Raiders.

Iron hands fanatic once mentioned something about a night Lords specific breacher unit, maybe involving rad/Chem, don't think it ever got finished.
Also you can combine breachers and choom :tongue.:

I will end up doing a few sketches for them at some point...

The idea was breachers all equipped with flamers, and each carrying a power-armour version of a grenade harness, but with psychotropic / hallucinogenic gas canisters.

Also, they all have corpses strapped to their boarding shields because Night Lords.

The Meat-Shields would be awesome.

I've been toying with the idea of roman legion nightmare parody for a DIY Night Lord Cohort, picking up the taste for breachers fighting alongside VIIth legion at the end of the Unification Wars or the beginning of the Great Crusade. With that, you'd have a special unit equipped with jump packs and breacher shields and a chainglaive and/or a chain gladius, that could join other units like Independent Characters do. Call them Triarii like the pre-marian reform Roman elite Legionnaries. They exist to bolster the line in case it buckles, and to strike back when needed. (My chain gladius includes a set of two contra-rotating chain blades, ensuring Shredding capabilites, but meaning for a much shorter weapon so it isn't too heavy: that would probably give them -1Init).

Not exactly Breachers, but they'd fall under "Legion Variants" and Background, so that's why I'm posting them here :P

Any proposals for new units and conversions?

I think the XIV have grounds for a unique breacher unit... Maybe a mid between them and Destroyers. They go to the absolute crap storms of battlefields and just advance shoving Phosphex and Rad into the enemy. You could go crazy giving every dude a chem hand flamer too... And something akin to the Grave Warden grenade launcher as an option? Or just rad missiles :D

If incorporate the Scythes but only the Deathshroud should have them really, and I can't imagine a shield a scythe works too well...

Also Thorn, that's NL unit is brutal.

Weighing in with a tale of heroic stoism by the breachers. 2 of my mates were playing Imperial Fists vs ultramarines (commanded by Jud http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316508-juds-ultramarines-2000pts/?do=findComment&comment=4247899)

Guiliman plowed into the IF Breachers and 3 turns later was still making heavy weather of it!

Some immense luck and skill on the part of the Fists but it just shows what they can do. ;-)

Any proposals for new units and conversions?

I think the XIV have grounds for a unique breacher unit... Maybe a mid between them and Destroyers. They go to the absolute crap storms of battlefields and just advance shoving Phosphex and Rad into the enemy. You could go crazy giving every dude a chem hand flamer too... And something akin to the Grave Warden grenade launcher as an option? Or just rad missiles :biggrin.:

If incorporate the Scythes but only the Deathshroud should have them really, and I can't imagine a shield a scythe works too well...

Also Thorn, that's NL unit is brutal.

Cheers (run out of Likes again)

That XIVth Legion unit actually sounds like what they should have had in the first place :) I know Terminators are pretty emblematic of the Death Guard, but the XIVth shall always be the masses of foot sloggers, marching out across no-man's land, lobbing phosphex grenades towards enemy trenches and not giving a :cuss about their victim's munitions plinking off their armour and shields :) Though I don't think scythes, or rad-missile launchers would work on them (i always envision heavy weapons needing two hands when not in TDA), sorts of combi-phosphex grenade launchers could work rather well :ph34r.:

Combi... Phosphex... Bomb... Launchers.

*Channels inner George Takei*

Oh MYYYYYYYY~~~~

On the back of that I'm really hoping DG get some sort of unique unit that isn't TDA, but that also isn't just plague Marines...

Hopefully February will bring something even more deliciously chemical heavy than the reaping BD

Hopefully February will bring something even more deliciously chemical heavy than the reaping BD

Hmmm, I don't think I've heard of anything special for Death Guard apart from a new unique Rite of War ? I might have missed it though.

EDIT : Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh ! I've got another one : World Eater Wall of Death, numerous Marines in scout armour with breacher shields and CCWs, and perhaps Fleet because they're lighter (they're in scout armour), they're high on butcher nails (so they don't give a :cuss about their safety when charging into enemy fire) and because... you know, they have to get into charging distance somehow :)

Here's this guy, and I plan on doing a squad of TDA breachers for my Dusk Raiders.

http://i.imgur.com/AG4U0c8.png

That is a great looking model!

Looks ready for anything.

Weighing in with a tale of heroic stoism by the breachers. 2 of my mates were playing Imperial Fists vs ultramarines (commanded by Jud http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316508-juds-ultramarines-2000pts/?do=findComment&comment=4247899)

Guiliman plowed into the IF Breachers and 3 turns later was still making heavy weather of it!

Some immense luck and skill on the part of the Fists but it just shows what they can do. ;-)

Thanks for making that public Loki!

Yeah Guilliman charged a squad of Imperial Fists Breachers (the toughness 5 variety) 

I expected them to die within 2 rounds of assault, then I could take out another squad in my turn, but no!

They survived the first round (after rolling 4 6's!) then I was charged in his turn with another 10 Breachers!

They had an apothecary in each unit, which helped a lot for them.

The point is they are not as bad as people think. They can be a real pain in the arse!

Also they look great (like Romans in space!)

Archived