[WIP]-Salamanders 55th Line Company

• 1 month later...

Needed a suitable distraction from my IG ETL vow. Kit bash these two models for the 55th over the weekned.

First is Term Sgt. Wasn't a great fan of the p sword on the spure little too small, so replaced it with a larger sword and half from the grey knights box.

gallery_72518_11677_742514.jpg.

Modded the Limited ed 2016 SM. He will represent a disciplined marine stripped of rank/company/legion for breaking the promeathean creed. To atone for his transgreshans was been on a 10 year pilgramage to serve to people of Nocturne and teach him the tennants of the promeathean creed.

gallery_72518_11677_1092769.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_352428.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Awesome work brother I love what you did with the anniversary marine I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself for not getting one for a while. I also really like how you've spread out your FW upgrade bits I think a couple sets are in my near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't updated my WIP in a while...time to rectify this.

Been using this guy as motivation to get me through my ETL V IG vow.

The original idea behind this guy was that he was the ex-captain of the 55th, he was stripped of title and rank. Then sent on a 10 year pilgrimmage to serve the people of nocturne. So to paint him I've kind of gone for a psuedo Knight errant,/Iron Warriors/blackshield scheme. I've got a dark metal base, which I've weathered with agrax in the lower limbs and recesses. I'm just kinda at an impass now what to do next. Was comsidering a further agrax wash over the rest of armour, but would this go too IW? Was also considering was adding original Sallies colours into the recess ( via washes into the shoulder pads and pieces of the armour).

I will do a heavy wethering around the legs with stormvermin fur and skavenblight dinge.

Do any of you Fraters have any thoughts? Ta Baz

gallery_72518_11677_430424.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_874447.jpg

You could hit the whole thing with hair spray. Then paint him in sallies colors and go after him with a wet brush like if you were doing chipping on a vehicle but much heavier so it looks like the paint was stripped from his armor. Just a thought

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Back from my travels. Completed this guy. Original idea was to have him as the previous Captain of the 55th, who was striped of rank and sent on an pilgrimage to serve the people of nocturne to attone for his transgressions. However he might also work as a knight errant. Next task finish first tac squad. C&C welcome

gallery_72518_11677_297241.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_24830.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_170414.jpg

Edited by our_baz

Update for this week. Final four of tac squad getting there. All are at various stages of painting (photo is poor will try and remedy,probably a subtle hint from the company who made my tablet for me to go and buy a new one hmmm).

Sgt is getting to the point were I need to start thinking about flames and scales (helmetless model). Will freehand scales onto the right knee brace. Was thinking flames on right vambrace and all the way up the left leg. Another thought I had for the Sgt was to paint a scale pattern all over his combi bolter casing rather than have it black. Be interest to hear the thoughts on the fraters on this board.

gallery_72518_11677_311136.jpg

No update photo tonight. Been mulling over what markings to give my Sgt. to designate rank. I want to avoid the 40k black knee. My thoughts were, have a red set of scales (on knee/loin cloth if has one), black shoulder trims, or some kind of "mark of the smith" to show the marine has been tempered in the fire of battle (my initial thought was this might be cool if I got a tempered steel look e.g blue/steel, but might look out of place on the model).

What do the other sallies out there do? Any opinions on my musings?

I can't remember which book I read it in but I recall mention of red helmets denoting rank and I've seen it some quite a bit with our legion I went with copper though as I've seen the red a lot more in 40k. I think really an imitation of any metal would work with the salamanders appreciation for metallurgy. And as for symbols of the forge there's always the classic hammer and or anvil, or the often overlooked tongs and wetstone. I've also been considering trying out a chain motif perhaps?

Agreed on the red helmets pyroclast, too 40k. Also in Hersey it donates a naughty UM pre-calth, or "special"UM post-calth. The chain links sound like a good idea too, might use it a a honour marking. Went trawling through massacre and visions of Hersey for, Sgt markings none that I could see. Going to bronze the Sgt fists as a marking and go from there.

Got more done tonight, armour needs highlights. Base for scales laid. And some other flats too. I'm quite happy with the look, the gold next to the yellow I'm on the fence with. Great to hear any C&C you might have.

gallery_72518_11677_1044834.jpg

Edited by our_baz

I know I'm a bit biased as this is how I paint my Sallies, but perhaps a bronze for the should pad lining? Or even better yet, black! It'd contrast well with the yellow and it's a color of the XVIIIth! 

As for the sarge, bronze hands isn't bad, but it feels a bit odd to designate rank. Perhaps veterancy? Maybe the Salamander icon on the should pad could be painted a different color? Or one of the pads themselves just fully another? One last thing I could think of would be extra scales and flames. Helmet-less head helps a lot though! :biggrin.:

I know I'm a bit biased as this is how I paint my Sallies, but perhaps a bronze for the should pad lining? Or even better yet, black! It'd contrast well with the yellow and it's a color of the XVIIIth! 

As for the sarge, bronze hands isn't bad, but it feels a bit odd to designate rank. Perhaps veterancy? Maybe the Salamander icon on the should pad could be painted a different color? Or one of the pads themselves just fully another? One last thing I could think of would be extra scales and flames. Helmet-less head helps a lot though! :D

I'll hit the shoulder pad edges with agrax, that will darken them enough. I Like painting the Sallie icon a different colour that's a great shout. The only thing with Sgt markings are sallies too pragmatic to bother with them?

Oooo thatll probably do the trick with the agrax, good call! I don't think we're too pragmatic for symbols of rank, although it is an interesting an idea. The legion still has to have organization though, and if pragmatism is a concern then I don't think painting the legion symbol a different color would be too "loud" of an indicator if you get my meaning. 

I could totally see the sallie not bothering with that sort of thing though.. hmm :geek:

As for the sarge, bronze hands isn't bad, but it feels a bit odd to designate rank. Perhaps veterancy? Maybe the Salamander icon on the should pad could be painted a different color? Or one of the pads themselves just fully another? One last thing I could think of would be extra scales and flames. Helmet-less head helps a lot though! :biggrin.:

I'll hit the shoulder pad edges with agrax, that will darken them enough. I Like painting the Sallie icon a different colour that's a great shout. The only thing with Sgt markings are sallies too pragmatic to bother with them?

How about trying out some copper/bronze/gold filligree on the armour to make it look more ornate, without actually going down to Sgt markings? Or that could be reserved for artificer armour.

Also, I think that denoting rank is more pragmatic then not bothering with it. I've not been in the military, but I'm sure they still wear rank markings in their uniforms for better reason then simple pride.

How about trying out some copper/bronze/gold filligree on the armour to make it look more ornate, without actually going down to Sgt markings? Or that could be reserved for artificer armour.

@Lord Thorn That technique you describe above I'm a little lost by it. Could you dumb it down for me, Cheers!

Didn't get any painting done last night decided to watch people bake bread on the BBC. However I'm going to drop the bronzed gauntlet idea, the more I look at the model the less I like it. @Bluebelly I'm going down your thought process and going to invert the pad colours for the Sgt. markings (c.f. BA in 40K). So black pads and yellow Drake head. Hopefully have an update to show tonight.

@Lord Thorn That technique you describe above I'm a little lost by it. Could you dumb it down for me, Cheers!

I was basically thinking of painting squiggles and squirls free-hand near edges, no real tecnique involved.

Of course, no I realise filligree isn't the right term :lol: You see what a lot of Emperor's children and Blood Angel models have to make them look more ornate? That.

I was basically thinking of painting squiggles and squirls free-hand near edges, no real tecnique involved.

Of course, no I realise filligree isn't the right term :laugh.: You see what a lot of Emperor's children and Blood Angel models have to make them look more ornate? That.

Ahh gotcha now. Much obliged cheers!

Sgt Update. I took the suggestions on from @bluebelly and inverted the shoulder pad colours I also removed the bronze hand which on reflection looked daft. Also finished off the pads on the grunts as well. Any further thoughts from the community is welcome as always. Baz

gallery_72518_11677_855869.jpg

@Lord Thorn. Pipes will be black, I'll paint the centre of the chest plate bronze (you wont see it thought). The grunts will be devoid of Helmet markings (or any markings for that matter other than right knee) as in my fluff they are new recruits. I will use flames and further scales to represent seniority and experience (see the other six members of this tac squad see below, the banner carrier has further flames markings as he has seen combat.)

gallery_72518_11677_512.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since my last update, mainly down to the fact that I have been without a hobby space for the past month or so.

Got my space more or less back together minus my painting lamp, this has allowed my to finally finish my first Tac squad from the BaC box.

To designate my sarg I went with inverted pad colours (yellow on black) and added a few flame motif's. To be honest I on close inspection the flames look rather rough which is a disappointment. Overall I'm really happy with how the squad has turned out, probably some of my better work.

What to paint next is the question...Dread's, Termies, Vets or company champion too much choice.

Any C&C welcome. Baz

gallery_72518_11677_91218.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_1375464.jpg