[WIP]-Salamanders 55th Line Company

I actually meant the lascannon barrels of the land raider similar to the ornaments the CSM Land Raider gets, but thanks anyways.

Edited by Quixus

• 6 months later...

Well I've finally go round to updating this thread with some updates. I'm slowly chipping away at this, I'll be honest I lost my mojo for my Sallies up until the ETL. But the ETL has helped me rekindle passion for these guys. Painting these guys was fun (Even the Rhino!). It'll eother be Vets or more termies next on the paint queue.

Here's my Praetor "Reagent of Aethonion"

gallery_72518_11677_230292.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_122105.jpg

gallery_72518_11677_150284.jpg

Thanks for looking

Baz

Nice bases, man. The fiery lava really looks the part! Interesting choice of secondary color for your sallies, certainly makes them pop out. Loving the scale loinclothes. Details like this really help to break up the "standardized" look of cataphractii terminators and make them feel a bit more legion specific. Will you weather their armor? Crispy burnt edges or battle damage?

Thanks @arion. I've taken the yellow from a Saturine Ram in HH book2. Weathering armour is something I've only done once (on my BB orcs), to be honest not overly confident I could make it look good. I usually just restrict myself to adding dirt to the lower legs.

I'll definitely echo honoured Brother Arion here, I really really do like the secondary colours on them: in one way it keeps them distinct rather than just looking like their 40K brethren in a more standardized 'chapter company' and I think you did 'em well.  That's a pretty cool blade on the praetor, I can't place it.  But it looks great and it's always terrific seeing what people do with the cataphractii Praetor/Centurion. 

The line Cataphractii look great too, the big ol' blade is particularly crackin' and the loincloths really do work to cement them to to the 18th legion. 

As for weathering...that's a tough one.  Yellow is pretty easy to weather, dark green I haven't a clue with.  Light weathering powders (maybe even black given the terrain), or stippling might work but I'm always nervous about it too.

Right cool and keep it up.  I know how much the ETL acted as a motivator, Warmaster knows I do, but it's all about getting those legion boys to the fight eh?  Can't wait to see what ya got next for us, mate.   

@Vykes. Glad you like them. I usually add more free hand flames/scales, but I was pushed for time in ETL and didn't want to rush. The blade on the praetor is from a Stormcast Lord Cellestant. I removed the hilt to make it look more like a gladius.

Next cab off the rank shud be some vets.

That's a pretty good size match for a Paragon Blade, too.  I like it and very nice.  Ah flames, yeah, those things give me nightmares (one of the first things I remember in the hobby was painting that on an eldar jetbike hood).  I think the effect works and it's all real good for the 18th.  Aaah, some vets, can't wait to see mate!  Vets are always fun because there's just so much you can do with 'em! 

• 4 years later...

Greetings brothers and sisters. I'm bringing this thread back from the dead somewhat after 5 years in stasis. I managed to pick up the core rule book for 2.0 for ebay for £5 and it spurred me to return to my sallies as I've been complete put off by 9th.

Here are a veteran squad and my kit bash of Nomus Rhy'tan.

Spoiler

large.IMG_20230517_091457.jpg.7b1ba91bd6736661136dff31ab3f310b.jpglarge.IMG_20230517_091517.jpg.05e351a150410fabfb1b298dc6d958ef.jpglarge.IMG_20230517_091531.jpg.dbc93da7d4f120b8be749327201d44cf.jpglarge.IMG_20230517_091544.jpg.524ed254cd2aaff36af272682c1ca505.jpg