Got back to painting today. Inspired by Apologist's and Brother-Captain Arkhan's Ultramarines, I painted a "concept model" to see if I could nail a colour scheme I can be happy with while not taking too much time. This fellow took me about two hours.

gallery_45765_11814_374220.png

As I was trying to get him painted in less time than usual, the highlights aren't as crisp and tidy, etc. However for a first try at Ultramarine blue in a long time I'm very happy with the outcome. I could probably paint a ten-man squad of these in a week, which is quite an exciting thought.

Anyway, comments and criticism welcome. smile.png

You know... that's a funny looking gold for some Celestial Lions. I know you keep saying 'Salamanders' but I think you're just spelling it wrong. tongue.png

Har har har. msn-wink.gif

Looking beautiful, Dos, though I am disappoint that you didn't paint the eyes red. Just a minor quibble from my perspective, but it looks incomplete to me without the eyes, in my view, one of the iconic features of the Chapter.

Thank you! Concerning the red eyes, they might be iconic but they're something I really dislike so I left them out. I'm glad you like the rest though. smile.png

That's a great look on that guy, the chipping, the skin, everything!

Thank you!

Now that is a Salamander. Love them. You certainly are a talented painter. The dark skin, not black, it how I have always imagined the sons of Nocturne. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers, SP! I'm glad you like them and thanks for the kind words!

Still lovin' it.

Hope you get some good names in for them. I also realized you could paint up quite a few kill teams quick at high levels of quality.

Thanks, hush! Yeah, really need to start looking at names. And yes, I could. Not a bad idea in fact.

Very nice pal! biggrin.png

I do have to agree with The Psycho, I'm missing the red eyes msn-wink.gif

Thank you! Bah, you can paint yours with red eyes then. tongue.png

Noice. Should be a darker blue, though, with lightning bolts :P

Two hours tho? That's not bad (faster than me, at any rate,) you could easily get an army painted up pretty quick. Not Kurama or Bladewolf quick, mind you, but pretty quick nonetheless.

No gold on your Salamanders? Well, to be honest I'm trying to keep the amount of gold down to a minimum but I can't imagine Salamanders without at least a bit of gold somehwere! ohmy.png

Only the sergeants have gold, which will make it easier to spot them when they're armed with a bolter. The rest of them would have had golden clasps on their maximus torso, but I forgot on the first one I painted and didn't feel like removing the bolter I'd just glued. tongue.png

He looks good, but I'd have highlighted the golden skull-aquila with silver to make it pop as much as the other colors.

Noice. Should be a darker blue, though, with lightning bolts tongue.png

Two hours tho? That's not bad (faster than me, at any rate,) you could easily get an army painted up pretty quick. Not Kurama or Bladewolf quick, mind you, but pretty quick nonetheless.

Heh. Nice try. ;)

Thanks! And with all due respect to Kurama and Bladewolf I usually go for a slightly higher standard of painting than they do. Plus they have airbrushes. :P

No gold on your Salamanders? Well, to be honest I'm trying to keep the amount of gold down to a minimum but I can't imagine Salamanders without at least a bit of gold somehwere! ohmy.png

Only the sergeants have gold, which will make it easier to spot them when they're armed with a bolter. The rest of them would have had golden clasps on their maximus torso, but I forgot on the first one I painted and didn't feel like removing the bolter I'd just glued. tongue.png

He looks good, but I'd have highlighted the golden skull-aquila with silver to make it pop as much as the other colors.

That might be the strong light washing out the shading and highlights. I took another picture and tried to adjust the light. Any better?

gallery_45765_11814_287984.png

Beautiful Ultramarine Dosjetka! I'd echo the idea of a silver highlight and maybe a diluted wash of reikland flesh on it, if you want a more vibrant and warm gold. Any ideas on heraldry?

Thank you! See above for the gold. I'm going for a cold gold so I've used a purple wash instead. Not too sure, heraldry-wise.

Very nice work! I'm torn between painting my Betrayal at Calth set either as Ultramarines or Salamanders, would you mind sharing the green and blue recipes?

I think I might actually paint something for the first time in years...

Very nice work! I'm torn between painting my Betrayal at Calth set either as Ultramarines or Salamanders, would you mind sharing the green and blue recipes?

I think I might actually paint something for the first time in years...

I'd be chuffed if I manage to get you to paint after a few years away from your brushes. smile.png

You can find the green armour tutorial here. All credit to @Leviathus! For the blue, I used a simplified version @apologist's recipe. I skipped step 4) and didn't got further than step 5). Also I didn't go all the way up to pure Space Wolves Grey, though maybe I will on the next model. Oh, and since I don't have any Mordian Blue, Asurmen Blue, Leviathan Purple or Space Wolves Grey, I use Vallejo Game Colour (VGC) Heavy Blue, VGC Blue Wash, GW Duchii Violet and VGC Wolf Grey, respectively. A great place to get these at a discount is Dark Sphere. I hope that helps. smile.png

Beautiful as always!!! Im particularly happy that model has seen paint.

Thank you. blush.png

Ah yes, the new pic really gives a better impression, still very beautiful! If you need any inspiration, the Ultramarines page from the warhammer 40k wiki has many of the FW book pictures on it. :)

Ah yes, the new pic really gives a better impression, still very beautiful! If you need any inspiration, the Ultramarines page from the warhammer 40k wiki has many of the FW book pictures on it. smile.png

Great! And thanks but I have a copy of Tempest that I can refer to. :)

Nothing exciting but the first five are being built.

gallery_45765_11814_224338.png

I'm aiming at getting them painted by mid next week so there will be plenty of updates along the way. :)

Thanks Pheidias!

Not directly related to my Ultramarine project but still related to the Ultramarine Chapter: I've been chatting a bit to Commissar Molotov and he suggested I paint up a Castigator. Now, I'd like to point out two things:

1. People feed me distractions, so all you people who think I can't stick to a single project go and blame them;
  2. If you have no idea who the Castigators are... well, you should. So here's a few links to get you started.

Now that's out of the way, here's a WIP picture of the Veteran Sergeant I'm working on at the moment.

gallery_45765_11815_376458.png

Since the plan is to only paint one or two models, this should not detract me much from my Ultramarines so know have no fear. teehee.gif

Erm... where was I? Ah yes. Distractions, yet again. biggrin.png

1. People feed me distractions, so all you people who think I can't stick to a single project go and blame them;
  2. If you have no idea who the Castigators are... well, you should. So here's a few links to get you started.

One of those links is not like the others... ;)

The Veteran Sergeant is looking good so far, man. Seeing the epicness of that head reminds me that I really have to pick up the Centurions for bits some time.

One of those links is not like the others... msn-wink.gif

The Veteran Sergeant is looking good so far, man. Seeing the epicness of that head reminds me that I really have to pick up the Centurions for bits some time.

What? Has heresy tainted my post?! furious.gif

But yeah, there are a few nice bits and bobs in the Centurion kit. Heck, after seeing Lamenter's excellent conversion/tutorial I might even build a squad for my Salamanders!

But... you make no sense! You criticise me for getting distracted and then praise the people who distract me?! Argh! pinch.gif

Distractions? What distractions? I just want to see some good painting. wink.png

giphy.gif

Oh, colour me interested! smile.png

Glad you are. :)

So it begins....

Looking forward to seeing your take on the legendary Castigators. They have long been one of my inspirations as far as DIY Chapters go.

Cheers, mate! I need to get round to painting an Interdictor, too. Sooner rather than later. :)

I almost regret taking the opportunity to yank your chain rather than bid you good luck - the Castigators have been around so long that they are practically an institution here. ^_^

You are welcome to paint any of my large amounts of DIY Chapters.  Sadly I am likely moving on from the Interdictors as I haven't had the start on them I wanted.  There is a new Chapter in the works, although how developed they become is yet to be decided.

I almost regret taking the opportunity to yank your chain rather than bid you good luck - the Castigators have been around so long that they are practically an institution here. happy.png

The key word here being "almost". But yeah, the pressure is on. ;)

You are welcome to paint any of my large amounts of DIY Chapters. Sadly I am likely moving on from the Interdictors as I haven't had the start on them I wanted. There is a new Chapter in the works, although how developed they become is yet to be decided.

I look forward to seeing this new Chapter! :tu:

Ultramarine looks awesome! Hope you get back to the unit soon!

Thanks! And for getting back to the unit soon, see below!

gallery_45765_11814_131967.png

They just need some holstered pistols, pouches, and grenades. Oh, and that middle chap needs his boltgun's barrel drilled. After that they'll be good to go!

Archived