WarriorFish's Inquisition Blog

It's a bit difficult to avoid the Marine comparisons when using their power armour, so a head and change of backpack help make him look like something a bit different :smile.:

Yes, I've had that problem! Though my solution was just to use one guy in Marine power armour, and I'll probably choose a very non codex approved paintjob as well.

Mixing and matching from different kits can help, along with a less Marine pose. Most Marines are either in attacking or heroic poses, or something similar so going for a model that looks a little more ordinary and mundane can help add to the look. I have my Inquisitor standing amongst some Marines I'm working on now and he does stand out as something a bit different. Power armour is so iconic it's always going to be an issue, and likely one you can never fully escape.

Some more human scale/style armour would be nice for us, like Greyfax for example albeit as her armour is very SoB in style.

Yeah WarriorFish's inquisitor had some good examples of how to make power armour look less marine-ish.

In addition to what WF suggested/did, I think that the (huge) shoulder pads are an aspect that really set apart marines from other power armour folk. Putting Imperial Guard shoulder pads (there are pads in most of the tank kits that can optionally be put onto tank commanders) can give a less bulky but still armoured look. I've not tried in on a marine model but it worked well on my crusaders.

If you change backpack, helmet, and shoulder pads, you've got a good start to a much less marine-ish model. Also add some inquisitor goodies like scrolls and pouches can work.

• 1 year later...

The ETL brings me back to my Inquisition army with an IFOR additional pledge: "Greyfax"!

gallery_30308_14554_1263.jpg

Been thinking about getting her done for a while and this is the perfect excuse. I had long planned to replace the head before the hat became a donation to Nico and the Escher kit proved a convenient replacement. I have given no thought to lore but I'll try and come up with something - need a colour scheme too. Perhaps something a bit different? Gold maybe, or would that be too bright?

My original vow plan is now to be my third (time allowing of course), which you may be pleased to know is finally my Stormtroopers :thumbsup: Turns out the Scion kits are a bit fiddly which takes longer still for ten...

• 2 weeks later...

The gold is nice, a good Reikland wash followed by a solid attack of Sigmarite works very well for little effort - it's from Duncan's method for Thousand Sons (which I also use on my Thousand Sons). Progress was sadly limited over the weekend due to some things, but I'm looking to finish the Bullgryn soon as I may need him for a list.

It has made me realise that for three characters who are pretty distinct it's better to approach them individually, so that's what I'll be doing now :)

No progress as of yet, but I plan to finish her next week so I can start on the Stormies. In the meantime, no such character should exist without a story:

Inquisitor Helena was once a humble member of the Emperor's Imperial Guard, like so many others enlisted and trained to fight in the many wars to protect His domain. Eventually they came up against a fight they couldn't win; an isolated position that had to be held at all costs against a huge alien assault. The warriors of Prushcan resolved to hold and die in the Emperor's name and so they did. Helena was the last survivor against all odds, as ammo was exhausted there was nothing left to give but her life and in one last show of defiance her suicidal counter charge unleashed the power of the warp - her latent psychic powers awakened.

Pushed to the limit with nothing more than the survival instincts learned on the harsh planet of her birth she reaped a bloody toll on the xenos. The offensive stalled as Firewarriors and even Crisis suits sent in were struck immobile by an unnatural terror and made easy pickings. The swift arrival of the infamous Inquisitor Lord [REDACTED] and his elite Stormtroopers made light work of the crippled enemy and the aliens suffered a catastrophic defeat that began the end of their expansion plans into the system.

Drawn by a brilliant psychic vision of fire and gold when Helena awoke, the Inquisitor Lord had rushed to the source convinced that such a vivid experience could only be the God-Emperor's work. He immediately recognised her talent and took her into his service, where the story of the "the golden flame" would truly begin. Wherever defeat leers at His forces, Helena turns the tide. Where hope is dying Helena reignites it. Stories abound of the golden flame's heroism, a legendary servant of the Emperor straight from the stories. Never giving up, always fighting onwards to victory and selflessly putting herself in harm's way to save even the lowliest of Guardsmen.

Privately haunted by the death of her platoon, she strives for victory no matter the odds. Time and time again the Inquisitor Lord puts her into the very fires of hell only for her to be forged anew, stronger and more resolute than before, and the stories of her heroics spreading to yet more eager ears. Whatever the Emperor has in plan for her it must greater still, and the Inquisitor Lord is very interested in finding out...

I offer you this chance but once, alien; return to whatever filthy place you came from. Leave now and stay on that world. If you do not I will bleed you on this planet. Your numbers count for nothing, I will slay your warriors and take your head. I will crush your fleet. I will follow the blighted path you took into His domain and I will burn your cities. I will exterminate your people, I will leave nothing but fire and ash.

Yeah the gauge is fun, but for some reason the colours on the GW site paint job are backwards - I'm guessing the painter has never seen one before? :tongue.: Her psychic powers look to be pretty useful in places but mostly it's her psychic defence that'll be good as I can't seem to have a fight without them turning up so measures need to be taken!

Unfortunately it's not easy to get her in to a list so I was playing with BattleScribe yesterday for an experimental Patrol list with Helena working with the impending Stormtroopers. The Stormies will lose their regimental trait but it's not really that great especially in lower numbers so should be fine :smile.:

• 2 weeks later...

The Emperor in His eternal beneficence saw fit to let me get some priming in. Perhaps it was because I made an additional offering in the Culexus:

gallery_30308_14554_17173.jpg

Work can now start in earnest :smile.: Having finally decided (mostly...) on the colour scheme I'm hoping it will be fairly easy to do, should be in theory at least :P