[HH1.0] White Scars Tactica

Ironwithout

Early Crusade era Horus Heresy games were a nightmare of plasma moritats with phase walker nuking entire blobs of units (and all everyone ran were tactical blobs). It's PTSD. It's why they triple nerfed the dreadnought pod because someone probably got cornholed by a pack of Leviathans or grav Cortus.

• 2 months later...

They get scout and two weapons for an additional attack in combat.

Plus it's just part of the way Heresy units are priced - little extra to begin with to encourage you to go big on the units.

They're also a unique unit in the heresy - really bikes are under costed in 40k in general, being a very powerful unit type.

I think there are two ways to use Outriders - small 3 man squads with plasma (165 points) or large 9 man squads with 3 power weapons, glaive for the sergeant and meltabombs for everyone.

Does anyone else play this way?

Also, has anyone had difficulties dealing with Typhons/Spartans? What does everyone use (apart from Lightnings)? Reckon 9 man bike squads with meltabombs will be enough to deal with them? Or should I ally in Knights?

• 3 weeks later...

No, the Land raider would need to start in reserves.

The rule is effectively split into two, mutually exclusive parts but I can see why the other person might have thought it not the case.

Part one of the rule: "Any Infantry unit that does not begin play aboard a vehicle with the transport type..."

Part two: "or any vehicle with more than 3 Hull Points that does not have the fast type..."

"...Must begin play in reserve."

The first part of the rule only applies to infantry - if they don't have a transport they would have to start in reserve. If they did BUT it has more than 3HP (so a LR) that tank must begin in reserve so they couldn't start on the table inside it.

Well yes, but Blood angels and Dark angels are in the same situation, and their threads have 30 and 26 pages respectively....

True that!

A big chunk of DA is complaints though and theorising on how to use thier rather restrictive and funky rules/ wargear.

BA have always had a huge following.

Scars though... Chogorian Brotherhood is so self contained that it basically equates to "stay fast, hit hard". By no means bad, but it's not a RoW that merits much discussion as such!

• 4 weeks later...
I know for a lot of us who run chogorian brotherhood only bring bikes and speeders. So my question now is how do you guys handle anti tank with the only single meltabomb per unit? My whole idea was suiciding a squad to melta vehicles that were giving me problems. But now I'm trying to think of other fluffy ways to handle it. What are you guys doing?

I know for a lot of us who run chogorian brotherhood only bring bikes and speeders. So my question now is how do you guys handle anti tank with the only single meltabomb per unit? My whole idea was suiciding a squad to melta vehicles that were giving me problems. But now I'm trying to think of other fluffy ways to handle it. What are you guys doing?

Thing is, Chorgorian doesn't stop you bringing any of the heavy anti-tank you want, and armored warfare is actually pretty fluffy for the speedy scars!

It's only things like LR and super heavies that have to start in reserve, everything else can start on the board ballin' from turn 1.

Sicaran Venators are a great investment for Scars, Sky-Slayer Jetbikes bring massed Melta, Javelin Speeders can outflank with Melta/ Lascannons/ Missiles - still plenty of options!

Well. I'm in regards to keeping it like brotherhood of the storm fashion and just having all jetbikes for :cusss and giggles. Javelins, I have two. I might have to add in two more with lascannons for the warm and fuzzy.

And I plan on having sgts with glaives just to also carry the single meltabomb for the unit. So the leadership buff is great!

Here is my answer to a couple of the questions posed:

1. Why so few White Scars?

Because white is a b$#ch to paint and it isn't a forgiving color when mistakes are made. At least in my opinion.

2. How to deal with Tanks/Dreadnoughts?

In my 2500pts list I'm fielding Javelins with TL cyclone missile launchers and MM's, Land Speeders with MM's and graviton guns. I also have a Lightning which everyone has.

3. Sgt plus Glaive?

I love my Sgt with the glaive. I can use him pretty reliably to deal with artificer armor Sgt's. That frees up my praetor to kill the rest of the guys.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm currently reading Path to Heaven and it has gotten me a little "White Scars Curious". For some reason space marines on bikes have never really done it for me, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea since their play style would be similar to my main army of Eldar. I also collect Word Bearers and doing WS as a second legion would certainly give me a better variety of play style than the other loyalist legions I am considering (Imperial Fists or Ultramarines).

I am however worried about it just costing a ton of $$$ to actually play them. Seems like you really want lots of jet bikes and such and we all know those are crazy expensive. Is it possible to field a decent White Scars list with little to no bikes in the list? Of course I will work towards getting more if I decide on WS but it'll probably be slow due to the cost and I would like to put them on the table in some fashion before that.

Also would plastic 40k bikes work in 30k if I replaced the marines riding them with appropriate armor marks? I imagine the bikes are just a different pattern but just want to make sure. Thanks!

Well I'm currently reading Path to Heaven and it has gotten me a little "White Scars Curious". For some reason space marines on bikes have never really done it for me, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea since their play style would be similar to my main army of Eldar. I also collect Word Bearers and doing WS as a second legion would certainly give me a better variety of play style than the other loyalist legions I am considering (Imperial Fists or Ultramarines).

I am however worried about it just costing a ton of $$$ to actually play them. Seems like you really want lots of jet bikes and such and we all know those are crazy expensive. Is it possible to field a decent White Scars list with little to no bikes in the list? Of course I will work towards getting more if I decide on WS but it'll probably be slow due to the cost and I would like to put them on the table in some fashion before that.

Also would plastic 40k bikes work in 30k if I replaced the marines riding them with appropriate armor marks? I imagine the bikes are just a different pattern but just want to make sure. Thanks!

It is like you just describe my last month. I've been playing Eldar since 1995. I was looking at building a 30k army, was leaning towards Salamanders and then I read Chris Wraight's White Scars stuff. Brotherhood of the Storm got me curious, Scars sold me.

Sadly, since the White Scars shining moments came in the final battle for Terra, I don't think we are going to see our full rules until the book that covers it. Could be a while.

While White Scars are known for their bikers, you don't HAVE to take them unless you are doing Chogorian Brotherhood. With the benefit of a Praetor and his Cyberhawk, you can make fairly effective infantry lists. That said, if you can get your mitts on enough Jetbikers or Outriders to field a pair of 3 man squads, Chogorian is the way to go. Once you get those bikers to fill your compulsory troop tax, you can build any number of ways. Drop podding Termies, outflanking Land Raiders....go nuts.

It is like you just describe my last month. I've been playing Eldar since 1995. I was looking at building a 30k army, was leaning towards Salamanders and then I read Chris Wraight's White Scars stuff. Brotherhood of the Storm got me curious, Scars sold me.

Sadly, since the White Scars shining moments came in the final battle for Terra, I don't think we are going to see our full rules until the book that covers it. Could be a while.

While White Scars are known for their bikers, you don't HAVE to take them unless you are doing Chogorian Brotherhood. With the benefit of a Praetor and his Cyberhawk, you can make fairly effective infantry lists. That said, if you can get your mitts on enough Jetbikers or Outriders to field a pair of 3 man squads, Chogorian is the way to go. Once you get those bikers to fill your compulsory troop tax, you can build any number of ways. Drop podding Termies, outflanking Land Raiders....go nuts.

I dunno, I'm hopeful that they will do a book that covers the battles that happen in these novels. It would after all give them an excuse to redo some EC and DG stuff as well. They said they will have like 15-20 books total so it's not like they won't have enough to cover all the big battles ;).

I think I'm pretty sold as well now. They also seem pretty strong in 40k so double bonus ;)

I dunno, I'm hopeful that they will do a book that covers the battles that happen in these novels. It would after all give them an excuse to redo some EC and DG stuff as well. They said they will have like 15-20 books total so it's not like they won't have enough to cover all the big battles :wink:.

I think I'm pretty sold as well now. They also seem pretty strong in 40k so double bonus :wink:

40k is a whole different animal. The rules seem a little more shaky IMO. Up until the Thousand Sons, the HH books had kept the worst of the psyker cheese out and HH has no formation silliness. Plus, so far as I know, I can't use all of these fancy Jetbikes I just ordered in a 40k Scars list. Lastly, I do still have a boatload of Eldar to do 40k with.

I hope you are right about the Scars showing up sooner than I expect. I really want to field some Stormseers but I am hesitant to try and build them until I know the details. That and whatever scratchbuilt job I do will pale in comparison to the real FW mini. Jaghatai Khan is going to have a spectacular mini too.

I've got a Biker Praetor, 12 jetbikes, 10 outriders and a Lightning ordered to form the core of my army.  I haven't settled on where to go from there though. I am strongly considering just adding a vet squad, maybe some terminators and then going all vehicles until the White Scars show up in a full list. Call me crazy but the idea of a Glaive outflanking and shooting a choom beam across the whole front sounds awesomely entertaining.

I dunno, I'm hopeful that they will do a book that covers the battles that happen in these novels. It would after all give them an excuse to redo some EC and DG stuff as well. They said they will have like 15-20 books total so it's not like they won't have enough to cover all the big battles :wink:.

I think I'm pretty sold as well now. They also seem pretty strong in 40k so double bonus :wink:

40k is a whole different animal. The rules seem a little more shaky IMO. Up until the Thousand Sons, the HH books had kept the worst of the psyker cheese out and HH has no formation silliness. Plus, so far as I know, I can't use all of these fancy Jetbikes I just ordered in a 40k Scars list. Lastly, I do still have a boatload of Eldar to do 40k with.

I hope you are right about the Scars showing up sooner than I expect. I really want to field some Stormseers but I am hesitant to try and build them until I know the details. That and whatever scratchbuilt job I do will pale in comparison to the real FW mini. Jaghatai Khan is going to have a spectacular mini too.

I've got a Biker Praetor, 12 jetbikes, 10 outriders and a Lightning ordered to form the core of my army. I haven't settled on where to go from there though. I am strongly considering just adding a vet squad, maybe some terminators and then going all vehicles until the White Scars show up in a full list. Call me crazy but the idea of a Glaive outflanking and shooting a choom beam across the whole front sounds awesomely entertaining.

That's a pretty perfect start and armoured warfare is pretty fluffy for Scars.

Point to note though the Glaive can't outflank. That would be sweet. It's a common misconception of the Scars rules

That's a pretty perfect start and armoured warfare is pretty fluffy for Scars.

Point to note though the Glaive can't outflank. That would be sweet. It's a common misconception of the Scars rules

Well damn, Now that I double checked it's pretty obvious. Not sure how I missed that.

Could drop a platoon of Vindicators, although that might be a bit cheestatstic lol. I see that everyone swears by Sicarans but I have to admit, I just don't see it.

I dunno, I'm hopeful that they will do a book that covers the battles that happen in these novels. It would after all give them an excuse to redo some EC and DG stuff as well. They said they will have like 15-20 books total so it's not like they won't have enough to cover all the big battles ;).

Hope so to...though it does seem WS players are a small bunch

That said, the other unreleased legions (BA, DA) have always had big fanbases...kinda impossible for the WS to compete with them

If FW is concerned about sales, a book introducing the WS could also incluse heavy updates for SoH, DG, EC, and IW