++ Nemac's XVII Legion - Word Bearers++

Nemac Vradon

Thanks for the comments guys :) Don't forget to check out the first post of this thread because I've updated all the pictures!

@DarkApostle07 - Thanks, I was a little worried about that bit when I started adding the blood but I'm extremely pleased with the result :tu:

I have done a little more work on the Mhara Gal. This model is so much fun to paint. I really wish I didn't have to work sometimes...

Anywho!

SAM_0722.JPG

SAM_0723.JPG

C&C always welcome!

I couldn't fit all the images i wanted to on my first post so I will be adding the solo shots of the models to the next post :)

Nemac

I have finally finished the Mhara Gal. This model is a lot of work to paint but as I have probably said a couple of times in this thread that it is also great fun. So many little details, if you don't pay attention then you will miss them :)

SAM_0724.JPG

SAM_0727.JPG

SAM_0728.JPG

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

The Mhara gal looks great, i really like the plasma coils. Also, i havent noticed before but the subtle weapon and head swaps on your Gal Vorbak seriously look good, whats next on the list? tongue.png

Thanks guys! I think next will be the Vindicator I have still sat in the box and then the remaining three members of the second unit of Gal Vorbak. I just need to finish up the conversions on them and then to apply paint :). After that I think a couple of squads of Ashen Circle cos Zardu :tu:

Also I'm glad the Plasma coils looks good because I was very unsure on them when I painted the arm and very nearly redid them in bronze :O. I am also working on some 40k Iron warriors for the ETL and when they are done I'll be returning to this force but probably doing more work on each models 40k counterpart.

Nemac :)

• 1 month later...

So I finally got hold of a copy of the Legion Astartes red book and realised that my Tactical units needed altering because they are not Veteran Tactical Squads. I have moved out the heavy bolters and taken off the special weapons which were then replaced with heavy bolters. Then I painted up a sergeant and now have an extra heavy support choice. Next up I need to paint four Tactical Marines to replace those removed from the squads.

I have also got hold of two Contemptor Dreadnoughts, The awful plastic guys from Betrayal at Calth. I have done a minor conversion on the the first by just re-positioning one of the legs and that is now fully painted. The second I have done a lot more to by hacking the left leg in half and building up the thigh section and have also turned the torso around slightly for a much better pose.

The last thing was a Calth Terminator sergeant that I really wanted to paint.

I will endeavour to get some pictures up later today but anymore painting time will be spent on my ETL vow first.

Nemac

A complete Talon, with the Mhara Gal leading the charge! That's gonna be one scary unit! Great work on the repositioning, subtle but effective. I'm assuming that will be an Ultrasmurfs head trailing out behind that last one!?

Thanks man, There are two helmets on the chains and one will be Ultramarines but I was thinking of doing the other as maybe Salamanders. Green is one of my spot colours so I wouldn't want to go with IF's for it because that i think would look wrong. When I have finished the Contemptor and four more marines the army will be a pretty good size:

Zardu Layak and Blade Slaves

Litany of Destruction

Mhara Gal

Two Contemtors

7 Gal Vorbak (10 planned)

Two, Ten man Legion Tactical Squads

Five man Legion Heavy Support Squad (HB's)

Two Rhinos

And then to add to that with what I have is:

Two Vindicators

Five Cataphractii Terminators

Five man Legion Heavy Support Squad (Plasma)

Ten man Legion Tactical Squad

Praetor with Plasma Pistol and Power Fist

So much to do so little time! :D

Nemac

OK here is the Legion Heavy Support Squad with Heavy Bolters. two of these marines where taken the two Legion Tactical Units that had the HB's and Melta Guns as I figured It was quicker to replace the guns with HB's on two marines and then paint up the four new marines with only Bolters as I needed to replace four marines anyway because of the guns they had (if that gibberish makes sense I'll be pleased :P)

Anywho...

SAM_0792.JPG

SAM_0794.JPG  SAM_0795.JPG

SAM_0796.JPG  SAM_0797.JPG

SAM_0798.JPG  SAM_0799.JPG

Looking at the pictures I think I will go over the metals on some of the HB's. Not quite the standard I was going for :(

C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

Morning folks!

I decided I wanted to try out some new basing for my Word Bearers so to that end I have come up with the following and would like your thoughts on them:

SAM_0804.JPG

The rubble underneath is 2.4mm cork sheet painted with Stirland Mud and my usual drybrush of Sylvaneth Bark and Kislev Flesh. The paving on the top is Baking Plasticine from my local hobby shop. and painted with various colours to make a very tame marble effect and then just on the top given a layer or 'Ardcoat. One of my main concerns about doing this for my entire army (I kept the old bases, just in case) is the Litany of Destruction. Does anyone have any thoughts which way it would be best to go about adding the fallen stone work to it's base.

SAM_0707.JPG

My thoughts were to paint the rock in the same tone as the rubble under the stone on the bases above and then add some of the marble underneath his foot and dotted around the base.

SAM_0709.JPG

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. :tu:

Nemac

If you repainted the large rock on the knight's base it might draw attention away from the knight itself. Sprinkling rubble around the base might be enough to tie him in with the rest of the force. Could always see how it looks with rubble and rock (not repainted) before committing to changing it completely.

Thanks Norngahl :)

Thanks Soric, that's very helpful :tu:. Just to clarify the large rock painted marble you think wouldn't work? I was thinking if I added the rubble to add it around the standing foot and then maybe some around the rocky side of the base but not much, just so the base doesn't look too one sided.

Nemac

Thanks Flint, really glad you like them :D. I hope to have the second Contemptor finished today in between re-basing the rest of the Word Bearers. One of those projects when you think it's a fantastic idea but when you get half way through your regretting ever making the decision sad.png. Still best crack on, I've done the bases for all three Contemptors (including the Mhara Gal) and only have about seventeen left to do for the marines. The Gal Vorbak are proving tricky to remove from their current bases so may not get done at all at this rate.

I will try and get a picture of the entire army up at some point this week. I just need to find a suitably large white or black backdrop. Maybe a trip to the hobby shop for some coloured foam card.

Nemac

Thanks Ishagu, It has been a lot of work but if I keep getting comments like that then I must be doing something right :tu:.

Now I have finished both Contemptor Dreadnoughts but have not yet added any lettering to the scroll work on the front of them. Would anyone care to throw a few names around? Preferably no more then five letters, limited space and all, and I'll add it to the front plate. I would like something fitting for Word Bearers so please don't suggest anything like 'Bill and Ted' because I won't be adding that to the scrolls :P.

Here is the newest addition to the army

SAM_0818.JPG

SAM_0819.JPG

Now, Greenstuff really isn't my strong point but I feel this came out rather well. The centre part (the bit that is actually square) is part of the Cities of Death scenery, specifically the piece that goes on the end of the short walls with the spike on top. Then i added putty around the sides and shaped.

SAM_0820.JPG

And here he is with 'Ted' I guess...

SAM_0821.JPG

C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

Morning all!

I have done a new base for Zardu. I wanted something that would stand out from the rest of the army and make him look more imposing.

The starting point was laying the cork loose on the base and then cutting the Plasticine sheet to the right sizes. It was a little fiddly but worked out in the end. 

SAM_0825.JPG

I used the ladder from the Sanctum Imperialis kit to make the stair posts and the banister is just girder shaped plastic card.

SAM_0826.JPG

I have a cloak left over from a Zhufor model which look's quite good flowing from his back so I may add that later on. I also noticed I hadn't done the final highlight on the gold spots of his armour and staff so went back and finished it off.

C&C welcome.

Nemac

Thanks mate, I have about eighteen more bases to finish before the previously painted models are all done. After that I'll be working on a Legion Support unit with plasma guns and my Cataphractii Terminators. I'm also hoping to have an army shot taken tomorrow with my new setup. Hopefully the pictures will come be much better :)

Nemac

Well I couldn't fit the entire army on the boards like I had planned but until I work out a way to do it here is a small shot of my Gal Vorbak and other Possesed units in the army.

SAM_0846.JPG

The light Isn't great but I don't think I actually need to change anything on the Litany's base so I'm going to leave it alone. The only model's missing at the moment are the other four Gal Vorbak including the Dark Martyr because his head hasn't been delivered just yet.

EDIT: Success!

SAM_0852.JPG

Thoughts, comments and criticism welcome as always!

Nemac

Archived