++ Nemac's XVII Legion - Word Bearers++

Nemac Vradon

Morning folks!

Today I have finished Steloc Aetheon (new name pending). I haven't enjoyed this model as much as some of the others but at least now I never have to paint it again biggrin.png.

SAM_0962_Edited.jpg

Edit: I have a question regarding the 'Kol' title that the word bearers seem to use in the Omnibus in the 40k setting. When did this title start being used? Was it before, during or after the Horus Heresy? Thanks to anyone who can Illuminate me :tu:

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

Taking a break from the Cataphractii even though there is only one left to finish. I decided to convert a new Tactical Squad Sergeant. I had to shave off the knee pads and make some new plates out of greenstuff. I'm not great with using greenstuff but I think they came out ok:

SAM_0977.JPG

SAM_0980.JPG

SAM_0985.JPG

Most of the models in this army are fairly standard poses so I wanted to make an entire squad with Chainswords that looked a little more dynamic. This is the first of the squad but with the cloak I could use him to fill another role should I need to.

C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

Thanks for the comments guys :tu:

@Raztalin - You know, he does. I may try and make some more Word Bearers with the poses of the other Character Series.

@Jud - You're probably right, as this army is based on Calth I doubt many of them survived :(

Nemac

• 2 weeks later...

I have been adding the transfers from the BaC box to my Word Bearers. It is still a pain to get them to sit right on shoulder pads but that's for a later update. I wanted to get the Rhino's done as these along with the Gal Vorbak were some of my first models in this army.

SAM_1007.jpg

Very pleased with how they turned out.

Nemac

Im liking the differences and also similarities between the 30k marines and their 40k counterparts, you can tell which model corresponds to which without it being too ott and obvious, the conversions as always look really good and your painting is continually sublime. Regarding the naming, i recomend that you read 'the purge' by anthony reynolds, the book features the same chapter of wb's from the omnibus but at heresy time, and kol badar is still called cataphractii sergeant kol badar so i would just assume that its all the same appart form the titles like coryphaus that were probably inplemented after the heresy. hope that helps, i cant wait what wonder you produce next biggrin.png

Thanks DarkApostle :). The plan is to be able to just switch out the troops for use in 40k, hence why my Rhinos APC's are the more modern kind. I will definitely be picking up a copy of that book. I really enjoyed the Omnibus with those characters in and like reading anything Word Bearers and Ultramarines so I'll be giving that a go :tu:. As for whats coming up next, I'll probably try and finish my Veteran Tactical squad and some more scenery. After that is anyones guess :D.

Thanks

Nemac

• 2 weeks later...

The start of my Veteran Tactical Squad:

SAM_1046%2B%25282%2529.JPG

The chap to the left you probably recognise as the guy above, 'Loken' as dubbed by Raztalin. A small accident in service to the Chaos Gods meant he needed some additional work. I had to redo the greenstuff on one leg and ended up adding a tabard cast from the Slaughter Priest mini to hide some of the damage. After his accident he was no longer fit to lead this squad into battle and so has been relegated to Veteran Tactical Marine status.

SAM_1053.JPG

His replacement is a larger Marine, awaiting a name, who I used the lower legs from one of the Gal Vorbak minis to increase his size. They were spare from a previous conversion of the leaping Gal Vorbak a few pages back. 

SAM_1061.JPG SAM_1065.JPG

Another reason for making 'Loken' a standard marine was that the cloak I had gifted him was not overly secure and so the outstretched arm looked wrong with the rest of the model. The balance just wasn't correct.

Still working on the next few Marines and casting some more tabards for them.

C&C welcome as always.

EDIT: DarkApostle7, I listened to the audio for The Purge and really enjoyed it so thanks for the heads up :tu:

Nemac

Afternoon all,

Did a little work on the Cataphractii today and managed to get the last of them finished. I may yet add a few more decals to them, maybe a few daemonic markings or Colchisian script on the knee plates and some script on the tops of their armour. For the moment though I am calling them finished as I have way too much on my painting table and really need to get a move on. I will neeed to get them a Land Raider but that will wait until I have finished the Veterans and the first five of my Plasma Support Squad.

SAM_1075.jpg

I have also ordered the cloak from the Deathwatch Killt Team box, Ortan Cassius from the Overkill box set and a Warp Talon head for a conversion based on this guy for my Diabolist: 

Diabolist.jpg

That is all for now, C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

So this is how the Diabolist conversion worked out. Worst parts were cutting the helm down at the bottom so it would fit inside Cassius' torso and also cutting the armour from the Deathwatch cloak so it would fit on the back of the model. I didn't want him to be holding a gun so I may make a servo skull that holds his gun alongside him.

Diabolist_1.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Nemac

Thanks guys :)

@Raztalin - Thanks mate, I did think about using the Dark Vengeance shoulders but decided not to because I didn't want him to look more Chaos than Heresy, I wanted him to have a much more 30k look than the Dark Vengeance shoulders would allow.

@Psycho - Thank you sir :tu:

@Pheidias - I hope you have as much fun as I did cutting him up :yes:

I have him fully painted now so I'll try and get a picture up in the next couple hours if I can

Nemac

Archived