New to 30k - What Books do I need?

It sounds like they changed the la:cal book name to "age of darkness army list". Might be worth updating the OP.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Forge-World-Bulletin/2016/06/20/In-the-Age-of-Darkness?utm_campaign=legionarmylist&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&_requestid=13087

Edited by Guiltysparc

Actually, no, since Thallax and Castellax are included in the Generic Legion Armylist due to characters with Cortex Controllers unlocking them in certain slots.

Edited by Slipstreams

Actually, no, since Thallax and Castellax are included in the Generic Legion Armylist due to characters with Cortex Controllers unlocking them in certain slots.

Thanks. You saved me some cash, as I was just about to order due to the cheap Pound Sterling atm. :wink:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

If you can wait, don't buy the Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List book since thats the old one and the new, updated one, the Age of Darkness Legions Army List is slated to be on sale at the Weekender in July and ~1-2 weeks afterwards for the General Public.

If you can wait, don't buy the Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List book since thats the old one and the new, updated one, the Age of Darkness Legions Army List is slated to be on sale at the Weekender in July and ~1-2 weeks afterwards for the General Public.

Ok this is confusing. 

I just posted this:

Hidden Content

Alright, so if I want to start with HH now and have access to most of the fluff ayway (ie the big black books cost way too much), I'll need both these books?

pic1.jpg

Correct?

Alright, so if I want to start with HH now and have access to most of the fluff ayway (ie the big black books cost way too much), I'll need both these books?

pic1.jpg

Correct?

Now, I need both, but the one on the right is not available yet. I do still need the one on the left (this product), correct? Why would I hold off buying that one if shipping is a percentage of total price?

Hmmm, yeah, what I said was confusing, sorry.

Alright, the book on the Left is Age of Darkness Legions: Safe to buy right now.

Didn't notice/forgot that they took LA:CAL Off the store and is no longer for sale. Thats the book I meant that you shouldnt buy. I also keep confusing the Working Title for the Updated book with the AoD:L Book >_>

Guys, I think it would be helpful to unknowing players if we refrain from using generic terms like "the new red book that is coming out soon". Also, if you're not sure, don't post anything at all - lest you post something which is not accurate.

This thread is for new, unknowing players, who aren´t into the HH game as veterans. What a veteran might think is an obvious and clear message or reference might be gibberish to a new player. So please, be as specific as possible, for if not you might be actually causing more confusion than clearing things up, and this thread is all about helping new players, right?

Please use the exact title of the book. So for example: THE HORUS HERESY - CRUSADE IMPERIALIS: ARMY LISTS. It also helps if you link to the product in question, like so

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

@Hellrender, no. They aren't listed in the preview of the contents in the FW Bulletin.

@WoT, there's very little about the Dark Angels history (nor is there much about the Blood Angels or White Scars). The book is mostly focussed around the Blackshields and Shattered Legions. Still a great book.

For anyone looking for information about the Horus Heresy books, I strongly suggest you read the first post of this thread. Slipstreams has done a stellar job outlying where all the fluff and rules are found, and it is indeed the point of this stickied thread.

Hidden Content

Guys, I think it would be helpful to unknowing players if we refrain from using generic terms like "the new red book that is coming out soon". Also, if you're not sure, don't post anything at all - lest you post something which is not accurate.

This thread is for new, unknowing players, who aren´t into the HH game as veterans. What a veteran might think is an obvious and clear message or reference might be gibberish to a new player. So please, be as specific as possible, for if not you might be actually causing more confusion than clearing things up, and this thread is all about helping new players, right?

Please use the exact title of the book. So for example: THE HORUS HERESY - CRUSADE IMPERIALIS: ARMY LISTS. It also helps if you link to the product in question, like so

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Blackshields won't be in that new red book right? I would need the new red book + book 6, correct?

...Sigh. I didn't post my request for clear communication for nothing.... :dry.:  Please communicate as clearly as possible and please do not presume any knowledge from the reader/new HH players. It could save money, lest someone makes a mistake based on a misunderstanding of your comment! :thumbsup: (Your statement 'that new red book' could refer to both the newly released Crusade Imperialis as well as to the upcoming Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List... :wink: )

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just wanted to remark that they've released digital versions for all the redbooks now, and there are even some bundles  with the Warhammer rules :)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/new-cod-sup/age-of-darkness-legions-tablet.html

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/new-cod-sup/eternal-war-collection.html

I've just started to get intersted in 30k and plan to get into it. Now this is really confusing regarding the books for me. As I understand the book named "The Horus Heresy Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions" is the book to get for the special rules regarding my wanted legion, ie Death Guard. Is that correct?

Now for the other book, well I cant get my head around it. In a previous post here some said do not buy the bok on the right is not a safe buy or confused with another book?

There is a book on the homepage named "The Horus Heresy - Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List", which also comes up if I click the filter to show New Releases. Now is that the correct book to get with the core units and their rules?

Thanks for answers that will clear this up for me. :)